Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > BigRedRod's Games > City of the Dead > Children of Lunos

Unread 7th of July, 2004, 04:52
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
as for paying:

It's customary not to charge a summoner and her guardians (although some don't follow this custom and demand everyone pays)
Although a Summoner normally will leave payment (unless they happen to provide a useful service, as most Summoners find themselves doing at each and every stop in their travels)
Unread 7th of July, 2004, 12:32
LuneMoonshadow
Zombie Housecat [Epic GM]

Member: #388
I wish we would on this stop...
Unread 7th of July, 2004, 14:53
tyckspoon
Wraith

Member: #380
Ah, well, it's not leisurely travel, right? I mean, we don't have the time to set up shop for a day and have everything in town that's broken bought to us for a Mend spell, for example.

It's customary not to charge a summoner and her guardians (although some don't follow this custom and demand everyone pays)
Although a Summoner normally will leave payment
Summoners promise to pay as long as everybody else promises not to ask them for money?
Unread 7th of July, 2004, 19:34
BigRedRod

No, you have a job to do. There isn't time to find people's lost children and find out why the mayor is acting strangely at each and every stop.

As for the payment issue it's like being a reverse concierge. Although in some cases people don't obey this tradition (some people don't like the High-Summoners for a variety of reasons, or don't like them enough at any rate)

Something it's worth noting
Up until fifteen years ago (when the silver lady was dethroned) it was a hard life for a summoner. Making a pilgramage to another temple often ended in an attack from silver riders (and therefore usually death) an so summoner numbers dwindelled. The few power summoners remained in their temples to protect the teachings and surroudning areas. Some hold itagainst the summoners that they didn't work directly to the lady's downfall

I'll be putting up a history post that will explain more about the heroes who dethroned her, and various events. It should clarrify things
Unread 10th of July, 2004, 16:21
LuneMoonshadow

I'm gonna be gone until the 17th... take over my char for me. So long as I don't die.. <.<;;
Unread 14th of July, 2004, 13:47
tyckspoon
Wraith

I'd like to increase my supply of thunderstones and tangle bags a little; maybe get a small supply of a basic poison, if any is available and is cheap enough. Oh, yeah, and a pair of earplugs for when I end up having to smash a thunderstone at my own feet.
Unread 17th of July, 2004, 08:59
LuneMoonshadow

Good to know I haven't died yet.
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 14:59
tyckspoon
Wraith

Standard PHB prices for the stones and bags?
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 18:10
BigRedRod

Yep
Unread 22nd of July, 2004, 17:12
BigRedRod

Just so we are clear, is there some kind of ear-gum in one ofthe books that we are discussing? I was going with a -5 to listen +2 on relevant saves

As for the poison I was just going with a contact dex poison. And do you just want a single dose?

I'd prefer to clarrify OOC as the alchemist wil lclearly know exaclty what you want
Unread 23rd of July, 2004, 11:54
tyckspoon
Wraith

I didn't have anything in particular in mind. Ear-plugs, earmuffs, whatever he's got. Although I suspect earplugs would be most likely. Contact Dex was what I was thinking the poison would be too. Single dose will be fine, since I probably shouldn't try to knock out the alchemist and run away with his entire stock.
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 07:19
BigRedRod

Sorry to do this to you but I think you all saw it coming:

I'm stopping the game.

The reasons for this are likely quite obvious, but broadly speaking I run these games for fun and this one simply has not been enjoyable. I'd hoped that it would find its swing and things would work out but it really hasn't. Each and every post seems like a fight against the tide.

A stubborn bastard I may be, but I know when I've lost and this has gone far enough. I can't bring myself to create another post. There seems to be no reason to keep this uphill struggle going when I could spend the time on another idea.

I learnt a great deal in this game and if I do decide to make another game I'll be able to apply it to prevent this happening again.

Rather than just have Danny cast this forum into the flames of oblivion next time I speak to him I'll leave it for a while so you can make bitchy comments
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 08:51
TheDruid20
Crimson Death

Member: #2
::bitch bitch bitch:: it has been an uphill battle for awhile now...
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 09:32
LuneMoonshadow

It was inevitable, but fun while it lasted. Kythrin will ressurect to save the world another day, I suppose...

However, I have been spending what time I have creating an RPG myself. Think of DnD rules, and throw in a class system from Final Fantasy Tactics. 1500+ race combinations, 50 classes, 360 spells, and over 100 weapon/armor abilities and rising. I'm posting things daily and the game should be starting soon, and I'll need people to test the system to make sure its stable and doesn't suck balls. A shameless promotion, I know, but I need people to sign up and play.

The Planes of Caerdonin

Oh, and when you make a new campaign, let me know... I've enjoyed this.
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 11:44
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Member: #131
Well I enjoyed the game when I was playing originally....but it would be good to get in on one of your new prospective campaigns.
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 12:12
tyckspoon
Wraith

Oh, well. Goodbye, thief..See you in the funny papers and all that jazz.
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 12:31
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
But the plot, tell us what was going to happen!
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 19:59
BigRedRod

It's hard to write it in a narrative, so I'll just explain everything

The sarcophagus was planted in the cathedral by the corrupted upper ranks, they had fled to Valance (which is like Vatican city). The corrupion came from a belief that the Gods had been dead since the sealing, even with faltering faith they managed to draw divine powers. And when they abandoned worhsip of the Gods they still drew forth power. The corruption was to spread throughout the land

The two jesters were to attack again before Fira (although one was now a corpse, which is something like a zombie that retains its sense of being, from the BoVD). The attack was to involve the burning of several wagons and the slaughter of inncoent people (players would have arrived to find the male undead jester holding a woman roughly by the head, snapping her neck ad then fighting. The live jester would have then raised the bodies as typical zombies during the battle.)

But who were the Jesters? : Recurring badguys you would love to hate and eventually hate to hate as the truth unveiled itself through their mockery. Eventually changing from corpse to bone as you killed them again and again. It is very hard to notice a childhood friend when they are all grown up and dressed as jesters. The silver riders took Sora and Luca from Lunos, a pair of twins and after fifteen years they have become a pair of evil jesters intend on foiling High-Summoner Luian's quest.

What about Ielenia and Garland? : Efforts to hunt down the insane Vampire failed (I was going to throw her as a random encounter against the party at some point several chapters hence) and after andrion was back on it's feet she continued her own pilgramage. Her thoughts were clouded with envy for Luian, who she always believed to have more power. The jealously would be her downfalling as she fell from the light of the summoners and ended up joining a fallen summoner temple i nthe frozen wastes.
Ielenia would have worked to undermine Luian at every step (informing bounty hunters that she was a powerful mage con woman who was impersonating a High summoner and must be killed, for one.). Her efforts would have turned the people of the world more and more against Luian as Ielenia's hatred and lies reached the people.
Eventualy entire villages would be destroyed by the evil summoners and eyes would fall on Luian

How about those untrustworthy Riskbreakers? : Simply put they were good guys. You were just meant to hate them Lord Haustan saw that even with the Silver Lady vanquished the world was not peaceful and safe. The riskbreakers were highly skilled groups of individuals who would travel the world further the causes of law and good. Sort of like Paladins, although not as extreme. In short they would become rivals to the players, often turning up to a scene the players almost had under control and taking command of it. Although in the end they would have provided much needed help to the party

The Glue : As was fairly easy to guess the Silver Lady was returning. The soul of the Lady was not so easy to destroy and in certain vessels it could be restored. An oracle told the surviving follows of the lady that one such vessel would be found in Lunos, one of the children. The riders went forth and kidnapped all they could. Felicity was the vessel and through her the Silver Lady had returned. However a six year old girl isn't much good as overlord, so time was allowed to pass until the ady was capable of exurtng her will and leadership.
The corrupting of the church was her doing, as were the two jesters and yes, even the ogre gang .The evil temple however was not, that was more of a case of summoners not embracing the ideals that the temples taught

Triren : As luck would have it you had a prophet in the party. I only sent him one (or perhaps two) of these confusing dreams during our playtime. More would have come

As you may have guessed I'm a DM who likes to wing things rather than plan deeply into the future(I prefer to react to what happens rather than try and force players to follow rails). After Fira (submerging the box would have summoned a big fire demon who needed destroying to end the curse of the sarcophagus. And a few weeks of training would have equipped Luian with the teachings) it was going to become rather more open

I'm kinda having a brain lock, if anyone has any specific questions (you wanted to know exactly what was going on somewhere) then ask. I'll try and get everything straight before I hand this over to Danny
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 20:08
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Well the section on Garland revealed nothing about Garland...woohoo
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 20:14
BigRedRod

He was just following his charge out of loyalty, he would have fought the party if he needed to but not enjoyed it. There wasn't much to say and I neglected to say it
Unread 26th of July, 2004, 21:00
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

I would have kicked their arse to *Shakes Fist*
Unread 27th of July, 2004, 02:12
LuneMoonshadow

I would have liked to see some undead... turning would have been fun. Ignoring the time when the vampire sucked all my levels, anyway. Couldn't turn worth crap then, so it doesn't count.
Unread 27th of July, 2004, 18:30
BigRedRod

I asked Danny if he would archive this forum rather than destroy it (seeing as how it has out lasted most of the game attempts on this board). Which basically means the forum will remain here but it will be locked

He seems to have agreed

THE END
Of the game that is. It isn't the end of the story...

Last edited by BigRedRod; 2nd of August, 2004 at 03:35.