Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 11th of July, 2006, 02:11
Andrew
Skeleton

Member: #1786
Star Trek: Legacy [Free-Form/Dice Hybrid]

It has been two years since the USS Voyager returned back to Earth. Captain Janeway has since been promoted to Admiral, and most of her crew have been given several recognitions for outstanding performance during their voyage home.

The Cardassian empire has fallen into ruins in the years following the Dominion War. The Klingon Empire has entered a state of civil war as the leaders of the various houses struggle to claim leadership. And the Romulans have been very inactive, remaining concealed within their space since the Dominion War came to an end.

There has been no sign of the Borg since the return of Voyager.

With no immediate threats, the Federation has been able to focus on it's primary mission of exploration. This has paved the way for new technology to be developed, new worlds to be explored, and a general assurance of peace throughout its borders.

Wanting to take advantage of this moment of peace, the Federation has approved the development of the next generation of starships. Using new technology developed by the Federation and from the Delta Quadrant, a new vessel has been designed with the purpose of testing the next generation of technology and exploration. This ship is the most powerful in the Quadrant.

But everything is not as well as the Federation thought...something is brewing that was forgotten about. Whispers among the Bajorians about the return of the Prophets has started to echo throughout the quadrant. Rumors have started spreading about visions of the Emissary of the Prophets returning is just the beginning.

Something big is coming....

---------------------------------------------

I'm looking for 4+ players to join the crew of a new Federation Starship. You will be a Starfleet Officer, not a member of any other empire, nor will you by a spy (i.e. no "Section 31", or "Obsidian Order", etc).

The system used is a custom one, so no books are needed. It's a hybrid free-form/stats system that's very easy to play and the rules will be provided when the campaign is ready to go. Familiarity with the Star Treak universe would be ideal.
Unread 11th of July, 2006, 09:17
Nathaniel Decard
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #1759
I'm willing to give it a go, I'm no expert but neither I'm a novice to it either. ^_^
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 05:32
Andrew
Skeleton

Thanks for taking an interest Nathaniel, but it looks like there isn't much interest from anybody else so I'm going to cancel this and post an alternative game that I've been itching to run for a while.

Cheers
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 05:58
BrianL03
Bodak

Member: #55
Jeez, man, give us some time to reply! You've got a fan itching for some Trek interaction right here!

Link Fire Arrow
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 06:53
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
Um, yeah, not everyone checks and posts every hour, on the hour (well, I'm on a lot, but that's the perils of college life). Give people time to check it out and post--you only put this up yesterday. People do things like work and school over the week. I, sadly, don't have the time for it, I think, much as I'd want to, but I know a few others who might be interested and are letting them know.
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 07:12
Zeff
Ghoul

Member: #582
Damn you sir! The Trek fire had nearly died out. What a mercy that would have been! But nay, you and your creatively inconsiderate ways have pulled me in!

... and lo! I and too weak to resist...

it is futile.
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 07:46
Andrew
Skeleton

lol, well then I'll keep this one open Those of you that definately want to play please say it so I can get a list of players going.
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 08:27
BrianL03
Bodak

Commander Marthel Padayatchi, chief medical officer, reporting for duty!

Link Fire Arrow
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 11:42
Zeff
Ghoul

Spock... I... can't... seem... to... makeadecision...

What... am... I... supposedto... ... do...?

[Dibs on the Bajoran! I digin on the idea of either Counselor (dodges rotten tomato) or Science Officer.]

Last edited by Zeff; 12th of July, 2006 at 11:46.
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 23:19
BrianL03
Bodak

I was considering being Chief of Engineering, like my favorite character, but then I decided to go with my second-favorite character (and a redhead to boot) ~_^

Link Fire Arrow
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 23:51
Andrew
Skeleton

Cheif Medical Officer - BrianL03
Counseller or Science Officer - Zeff
??? - Nethanial

Anybody else interested?
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 01:48
Nathaniel Decard
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #1759
*puts hand up timidly as crawling out from beneath his rock* Heh, umm, Security officer for me. *is too much of a knucklehead to do otherwise. ^^*
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 02:03
Andrew
Skeleton

Cheif Medical Officer - BrianL03
Counseller or Science Officer - Zeff
Security Officer - Nethanial

For those of you who aren't sure, the following areas are available: Science, Security, Medical, Engineering, and Command. Those are the five main career paths of any starfleet officer. Each area has a Chief who leads that department on the starship (except for Command, there is the Commander, 2nd in commmand of the ship).

All the details on this will be posted when the forum is created. For now I mostly need a list of players, we can pick roles once we have enough interest.
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 05:03
jedric
Ghoul

Member: #1102
Er does Command include, Tactical, Ops and Helm? [Or is Tactical Security?]

Just nosey!
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 07:10
BrianL03
Bodak

Originally Posted by jedric Er does Command include, Tactical, Ops and Helm? [Or is Tactical Security?]

Just nosey!
Command, I believe, is any part of what you see on the bridge, such as communication, pilot, etc.

Link Fire Arrow
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 13:50
Zeff
Ghoul

Hmm, as I recall on Next Gen, the only red shirts on the bridge were Captain and #1. Though I'm sure standard protocols would exist, I imagine the Captain can staff those positions with whom he/she sees fit. There have been plenty of innocuous Ensign helmspersons over the episodes. Ok, since were here, hope this isn't a hijack, Data's shirt before it was red, was gold, correct? Yet, as chief Science officer, shouldn't it have been blue? Or is it: medical=blue and Engineering/Science=gold?

As for my Bajoran, leaning toward Science, but If Engineering remains open, I can slide over there if our illustrious Q would prefer an open Science slot to an open Engineering slot. Either suit my concept.
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 17:02
jedric
Ghoul

I'd like to jump in too. A boring old Earther for me.

I'm open as to slot/role, well actually on second thoughts I'd prefer not to be the Medico, but if that's what's up for grabs
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 19:23
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
It's odd that I've never seen a Star Trek game before. There must be some form of licensed RPG, right? I mean Buffy even has one.

Anyhow, I'll likely watch the game rather than play, I'm just not sold on the idea of freeform gaming that still has a DM.
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 21:05
jedric
Ghoul

Originally Posted by BigRedRod It's odd that I've never seen a Star Trek game before. There must be some form of licensed RPG, right? I mean Buffy even has one.
Sure is, I own an 80s version published by FASA, not sure how new the newest/most recent one is though. There's also a version published by Decipher, which is based on the CODA rules system, although I've never seen that one.

Anyhow, I'll likely watch the game rather than play, I'm just not sold on the idea of freeform gaming that still has a DM.
This raises an important question though!

Andrew, will it work kinda like Diceless RPGs, where the GM interprets things based on Attribs + Actions rather than dice rolls? Or am I assuming too much?
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 00:31
Andrew
Skeleton

Er does Command include, Tactical, Ops and Helm? [Or is Tactical Security?]
Command includes administration/leadership, ops, comm, helm, and usually shuttle piloting.

Tactical is security.

All this will be included in the character creation, so don't worry about picking a specific role right now

Zeff - the uniform color depends on which series/season. Data was also a special character who could technically work in any field, I don't actually recall him being declared as a science officer lol.

As for the question about an actual licensed RPG, there are a few. I've looked at the most recent incarnation, which includes rules for Voyager, but the system in general is poorly designed. Thats why I'm using custom rules for it.

Players so far:
BrianL03
Zeff
Nethanial
jedric

I'm going to put up a forum request, but will still be accepting a few more players if anybody else is interested.
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 00:40
BrianL03
Bodak

You'll have to excuse my lack of Trek knowledge once we get into the game. I would watch TNG if my dad was watching it (hence, how Geordi and Beverly are my two favorite characters, with Riker a close third. Hell, Wes was awesome as well), but typically wouldn't on my own. So I know enough Trek info to do generalities (such as use my tricorder to tell how a patient is doing), but get going on the number of people aboard Enterprise-D and you'll be throwing me for a loop.

God bless Trek Wikipedia nerds.

Link Fire Arrow
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 01:11
Andrew
Skeleton

Originally Posted by jedric This raises an important question though!

Andrew, will it work kinda like Diceless RPGs, where the GM interprets things based on Attribs + Actions rather than dice rolls? Or am I assuming too much?
Every character has a set of core attributes and some related skills/abilities which provide the foundation of your character. When your character does mundane/simple tasks it's just a matter of referencing to your general ability. So if you are trying to do something fairly simple (i.e. piloting a shuttle), then no rolls are needed as long as you don't do anything advanced.

But if you are trying to do something harder/tricky, then it comes to actual dice rolling, which works similiar to the shadowrun system:

I.e. trying to fire the ship's phasers to target the enemy ship's warp reactor would require a fairly difficult check (DC5).

The GM would roll you Ship Systems (Phasers) + any relevant bonuses you have. So if you have 5 in that ability and then say 2 ranks in Starship Combat or some other ability, you could get 7 dice in the pool. Chances are you'd get 2 successes, which would result in your attack succeeding.

It's a very simple system and only takes a few minutes to learn the basis of it once you get going.

I'll make sure all of this will be posted before the game begins.
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 23:53
Andrew
Skeleton

The forum is up, everybody head over there. I'll be posting the rules/character creation over the next 3-4 days, so sit tight till then