Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 00:15
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
WEG Star Wars

Due to unforeseen circumstances, my Mass Effect game looks to be ended even before I had a chance to begin; after consulting with other players on the site, I've decided to replace the old with the new, and begin a Star Wars game. Anyone wishing to apply should read through the following information carefully.

Firstly, the game will be played using the West End Games Revised and Expanded Edition rules. Whilst I understand that a few people who might want to play don't have the rules -- and am willing to provide them with a summary of the rules, or even a scan of the rulebook -- I do expect all who apply to be rule-savvy before the game begins.

Secondly, the game will be set in the 20 year period between Episode III and Episode IV, circa the events of Force Unleashed (i.e. the founding of the Rebellion). Darth Vader has rounded up the majority of the renegade Jedi with the help of his Secret Apprentice, but has unwittingly helped to create the Rebellion in a plan that was originally orchestrated to crush all opposers to the Emperor in one fell swoop.

Some notes regarding character creation itself:
  • Players have Species Attribute Dice + 6D to spend on Attributes, and 14D to spend on Skills. All Skills have a maximum dice allocation limit of +3D, with one exception: each player is free to choose one skill for their character which can be given +4D, showing their particular expertise in that area.
  • Players who are interested in playing an alien race not listed in the rulebook can ask to do so, and if I have the species template for the species in question then I might allow it. Droids are permissable as characters, but again if players wish to play a make not in the core book, then they'll need to ask me whether I have the template for it.
  • I will only be approving two Force-Sensitive characters. Players can either decide amongst themselves here who has this ability, or I can decide myself after shifting through the applications. Those who are Force-Sensitive can allocate Attribute dice to their Force Skills as per the character creation rules, and can gain Force Powers listed in any of the WEG books (provided they C&P me any Powers not in the core book for approval).
It's worth noting now that being Force-Sensitive at this time is a very dangerous thing. Most characters, once their connection is known, are recruited into the Empire, or are killed by its agents. I will be cracking down particularly hard on this fact, mainly because, in WEG, Force users are especially potent, and such a deterent and threat is necessary to ensure a measure of equality amongst the player characters.

Anyone who is interested needs to send me the following:
  • Character Statistics (Attributes, Skills, Force-Sensitive?, Force Skills if applicable, Equipment)
  • Background Information
  • Physical and Personality Description
  • A Sample Post involving the Character, depicting some part of her background
As is standard in my games, I expect players to be able to put up posts averaging 250 words, or more if they can. I will be providing additional Character Points to those who I think are making that extra effort in detailing their characters and making them real, so keep this in mind.

Any questions, please let me know. Otherwise, feel free to use this thread to discuss the character group amongst yourselves, so that the final coterie is balanced and diverse.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 25th of July, 2010 at 00:19.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 00:52
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
I'm one of the Force Sensitive concepts. An unwilling member of the Nar Shaddaa underworld aristocracy, trying to escape her life to find something more. I want her to be very skilled in the Mechanical and Perception attributes, a natural pilot and con artist/diplomat. My thought though was for her to eventually fall upon the path of a Jedi - but to do so slowly - first most likely finding a cause she's willing to throw herself into, and then after doing so perhaps finding someone who could show her the ways of the force.

Getting back to her role in our group - not going to be the hugest combat monkey by any means. She won't start with force skills, hasn't got a clue about lightsabers, and is only so-so with a blaster. Her strengths will be in vehicles/starships, and in diplomacy/connections.

EDIT: After looking at the alien stats, I don't think a Twi'lek would be conducive to my natural pilot concept, since they seem to be racially crap at it. So I will make the character a human.

As far as story hooks go, her family connections bring the criminal underworld into play, her FS brings in a possible discovery by either Vader or on the run Jedi, and her personality and desire to do something better with her life could bring her into alliance with the Rebellion. She also provides the standard discovery of the Force by a naive but plucky youth.

Without Force Sensitivity, I think the concept would have to change, at least to provide a bit more in place of the lack of character progression that a calling of the Force would provide.

Last edited by AoM; 25th of July, 2010 at 01:28.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 01:16
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
I'm interested as well. I'll throw in a combo of the concepts I was looking at - a Wookiee slicer/spicer/gambler/gunslinger. Probably just the sort of person AoM ran with back in the day. He's not a *bad* guy, he's just got some issues following the rules, and predilection for doing things the fastest way, rather than the right way.

AoM: If you're interested, and we don't mind the slightly cliched nature of the thing, he could well have a mini-life-debt to your charater from her time in the underworld. Perhaps he got himself in to a bit more trouble than he could get past, and without the smooth words a smuggler falls back on, he had a bowcaster and a bad attitude. However, you stepped in, and defused the situation. Not a full on life-debt, but certainly a relationship that parallels it - you saved his life (he knows he wouldn't have made it out of that situation alive), but not immediately and directly, so he's not going to actually do a true life-debt. But he still feels fairly responsible for you.

And hey, what good face/noble doesn't have a walking carpet to provide that touch of legitimacy? And, you know, some glitterstim and the occasional over-powered blaster....

Edit: I totally forgot that Ewoks were in the book. We should so make an all Ewok party. We can wander around being amazed by basic technology, and then people can kill us, and we'll be happy about it! (Bitter? Me? Nah. I certainly don't consider Ewoks to be under Jar Jar on the 'Scale of Star Wars Suck (The SSWS)'.)

Edit2: Shakes, did you really call us a Coterie? Does that mean we're all going to get Embraced and we're really running a SW/V:tM Crossover game? Cause that would be AWESOME.

Edit3: I'll get a basic concept in today, but it's my son's 4th bday, so I won't be doing much until late tonight.

Last edited by Ergonomic Cat; 25th of July, 2010 at 01:29.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 01:27
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
Sounds like a good plan, Cat. Happy to have that worked into the group concept.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 02:05
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
Like many others, most others, I've wanted to play a Jedi in a Star Wars RPG ever since I found out there was one.

I'm thinking a Jedi padawan who has taken to work in the Criminal Underground to hide from Vader's purge, but struggles after the fact with the morality of the decisions and actions he's forced to take in order to be accepted and hidden, there, and the call of the Dark Side as it promises to make everything so much easier.

Human, with infiltration skills and acrobatics. He owns a lightsaber, but realizes it draws attention, so he keeps it hidden, in favor of various stun weapons.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 04:47
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Krypton # Like many others, most others, I've wanted to play a Jedi in a Star Wars RPG ever since I found out there was one.

I'm thinking a Jedi padawan who has taken to work in the Criminal Underground to hide from Vader's purge, but struggles after the fact with the morality of the decisions and actions he's forced to take in order to be accepted and hidden, there, and the call of the Dark Side as it promises to make everything so much easier.

Human, with infiltration skills and acrobatics. He owns a lightsaber, but realizes it draws attention, so he keeps it hidden, in favor of various stun weapons.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 05:12
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7702
I was thinking of playing a bounty hunter employed by the empire to hunt a certain jedi (never mind that he's really not) when she caught up to her target the first time she realized who her target actually was, a trained imperialist. She surveyed the military man man from a distance contemplating her next move. She in the end could not bring herself to kill the man who's only crime was realizing that he could connect with the force. Having failed her mission she had to flee the empire and become a ghost. As an end note she may possibly be force sensitive we'll see I want to leave it open to other players for now. She's also a natural pilot and is decent with all kinds of weapons except light sabers because she hasn't had the chance to learn yet
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 05:16
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

And when we're creating characters, a human would get 18 total attribute dice... also I'm not sure how I can allocate those dice
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 05:51
Seanberry
Zombie

Member: #8277
Well I am interested in playing. As the Force Sensitives have been called, I'm stuck on what exactly to play, but I'll think of something ASAP and send through ASAP.

and Ergo....Ewoks don't come into the Galaxy until the Battle of Endor.... and were a few years ahead of that.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 05:55
Pulse495
Skeleton

Member: #7978
Just a reiteration of my previously posted idea in the vote on game type, and dadocim, if Shakespeare will ok it, sounds like a good excuse for our characters to have some interaction from the off. Also, you're right about the 18 attribute dice, and they can be allocated according to the species max and min that are in the species templates in the core rules.

Current idea is to play a former Imperial Loyalist, career military, born and trained on Bastion and a distinguished student of the Bastion Military Academy. Upon chance discovery during a routine medical of latent force sensitivity, he murders his doctor and flees, covering his trail by falsifying orders placing him on detached duty, hoping to be lost among the Imperial Beauracracy as he struggles to come to terms with what this shift means, and how the change in his life circumstances means he can no longer honour his oath to the Empire and bring about Order through Discipline. Not an overtly evil man, in mind or thought, he is and has been trained to be ruthless, but is not without compassion. He will follow orders that are questionable, trusting in his superiors judgement and believing that the ends always justify means.

Basic summary for you Shakespeare, and pretty much identical to what was posted before, but just wanted to revoice my interest and concept. Will have character sheet and background shortly.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:02
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Pulse is right regarding Attribute Dice and allocation. As stated before, you begin with Species Attribute Dice + 6D; a human begins with 12D Attribute Dice, and a Twi'lek with 11D, and thus heroes/characters of both species begin with 18D and 17D in Attributes, respectively.

With regards to allocation, your species template dictates the minimum number of dice you must put in each Attribute, and the maximum number of dice that can be assigned without spending Character Points to raise it further (not possible at Character Creation). An example: the human template lists each of the six Attributes as 2D/4D, meaning that each has to have a minimum of 2D, and a max of 4D. Remember also that each dice can be split into three pips, each equating to a +1 modifier (1D can be split into 0D+1, 0D+1, and 0D+1; or 0D+2 and 0D+1).

Some additional information for you all regarding some of the house rules I'll be implimenting:
In combat, we won't be doing the round-a-bout method of action resolution (each character takes their first action in turn, and then their second, and then their third, etc), since it'd take too long over a PBP. Instead, each character will resolve all of his actions before the next person performs theirs (if a Jedi attacks twice and then runs for cover, he accomplished/fails them all before the next person gets a chance to act). Also, Initiative will be individual, not group-based.

With regards to Reactions: all Dodge, Parry, etc related rolls will need to be figured into your action list upon your turn. In the interest of not slowing down the game hugely (this being PBP), you won't be able to React to attacks that weren't taken into account to begin with.
E.g. Your character is up against a trio of stormtroopers, and thus chooses to perform three actions: he'll attack two of them with his blaster, and then Dodge any returning fire. He rolls for each action (taking into account the -2D penalty to each action he receives for multiple actions); his Dodge total, whatever it is, applies to all ranged attacks from the stormtroopers for this round.

Later in the same round, a stormtrooper closes the distance between the character and tries to hit him with his rifle. Because the character didn't dedicate a second Dodge to avoiding any melee actions, he doesn't get to React to the attack.
Note that Reactions still apply to all related attack types: if you allocate an action towards Parrying, then your result -- good or bad -- will apply to all melee attacks that round. If you want to Dodge/parrying with a Lightsaber both ranged and melee attacks in a round, you'll need to dedicate 2 actions to the task, otherwise your Dodge/Lightsaber total will only apply to melee or ranged (whichever you decided upon to begin with).

One last house rule. People might've noticed by reading the rules that lightsaber duals are highly unlikely to last for the duration of the fights in the films. This is because one hit from either side could result in the death of the other opponent. In an attempt to emulate the dramatic, extended dualing scenes of the film, the following will be envoked for any two lightsaber combatants who currently have the Lightsaber Combat Power activated (if only one, or none, of the combatants have the Power up then the normal hit/miss rule comes back into effect):
If the defender beats the attacker's score with his Parry result, then he successfully blocks and dodges the attacks coming his way. The attacker just cannot find an opening, and is the less prominent of the two combatants.

If the attacker beats the defender's Parry score by 1-6, then no attack strikes home, but a lot of fanciful lightsaber strikes and parries takes place with the attacker (the higher roller) being the more prominent of the two combatants.

If the attacker beats the defender's Parry score by 7-14, then no attack strikes home, but instead the aggressor engages his foe with such superior swordplay that he's able to manoeuvre the other fighter several meters in a direction of his choosing, which can be useful under certain circumstances.

If the attacker beats the defender's Parry score by 15-20, then he is able to bypass his opponent's defence, and strike him with a punch or a kick (dealing damage normally, and potentially stunning his opponent, forcing him to drop his active Powers, which can be very deadly).

If the attacker beats the defender's Parry score by 21+, then he manages to bypass his foe's defence entirely, landing a Lightsaber strike. Damage is roll normally.
Opinions on all of the above?
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:04
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

and with the skills is the max of 3D the dice you add yo it or the total modifier
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:11
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Addendum: To keep the action fluid, I will also be rolling Damage myself for PCs and NPCs. Whilst this might annoy some, it'll ensure that the game doesn't slow, and we can move on without bogging down things waiting for everyone's individual Damage rolls.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:12
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Originally Posted by dabocim # and with the skills is the max of 3D the dice you add yo it or the total modifier
What you can add to it. If you have a DEX of 3D+1, and you put a full 3D towards the Blaster skill, you'd end up with 6D+1.

Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:15
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

alright In a minute or two I'm going to post a sample of stats to make sure that I'm doing it right
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:26
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

whoops posted that too quick
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:27
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Send it via FPM. As always, I want each person's individual statistics to remain a secret until discovered in play.

Addendum: Nevermind. But yes, that appears correct. Remember that each dice can be split into pips, too.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 25th of July, 2010 at 07:29.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:32
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

and here comes a whole bunch of PMs from every one interested

Man I really need to stop speed posting

Last edited by dabocim; 25th of July, 2010 at 07:34.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 22:49
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
Well I don't really know what's possible in the system but I was thinking of either a doctor trained by the empire who fled when he found out that his research was being used for biological weapons development from his girlfriend who he found out at the same time had only gotten together with him in order to get info. He fled to Nar Shaddaa where he could hide from the empire.

My other concept I thought of is a Hunter who lives on Tatooine or some other mostly undeveloped planet and hunts various wildlife. He'd be an expert tracker and a really good shot with a rifle.

Are these concepts doable?

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 23:52
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Shoelip: Anything's possible with this system, since it's a case of picking attributes and skills to suit your concept, rather than confer to set classes. If you've got an idea, there's a good chance that it can be done.

I've sent you the rulebook. Look through it and you'll see.

A note for you all: I've approved my first character, who is also a Force-Sensitive. I'm only accepting one other Force user (unless a third potential blows me away with story and stats, which is hugely unlikely, so don't take it personally if I decline characters after approving my second).

I'm looking for three-four more characters total now.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 01:08
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Two things: firstly, I'd still like everyone's opinions on the houserules; secondly, it's also worth stating that this game will effectively be a "butterfly effect" game -- the mere existance of your characters and heroes means that effects in the Star Wars universe might well be changed, modified by their actions (or lack of). Don't always expect me to follow the canon storyline to the letter, since I might well change it based off of your own actions.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 02:13
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

I'm generally fine with house rules, assuming they are logical and balanced.

I am *not* okay with the Butterfly Effect. I would like the world to proceed exactly as it would, regardless of anything our characters do.

One of those two statements above is false.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 02:41
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Help out a foul-tempered, idiotic widget: the second statement is false, yes?

And I know your opinion on house rules, but what about the specific rules shown above?
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 03:26
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Shakespeare # Help out a foul-tempered, idiotic widget: the second statement is false, yes?

And I know your opinion on house rules, but what about the specific rules shown above?
Why would I help myself?

Oooooh, wait. Yes the 2nd is false.

The rules above don't present me any issues. The combat rules aren't ideal, but I think they're a good compromise so that our fights don't take weeks as we wait on "Do you react?" "I react" "Roll." "I didn't parry." "He's shooting again." "I react." etc.

I'll leave it to the Jedi to remark on the LS duels. Also, I'll note that if we're getting in LS duels, I might want to put a lot more dice in "Stealth" and a few in "Convince Black Armored Men I Don't Know Those Guys"
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 07:48
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
What black armored men? I'd be more concerned about convincing white armored men. If you meet a black armored man you're probably not in too much trouble unless he has a respiratory condition in which case you're screwed regardless of how convincing you might otherwise be and your only hope is to take him by surprise and flee while he's recovering from the mild inconvenience your attack caused him.

I sure how that despite your mention of The Force Unleashed you aren't planning to take heavily from that game. As cool as it was as a video game it was also rather stupid. Ridiculously overpowered force abilities aside the fact that now the rebel alliance itself couldn't even get started without a Jedi there to baby sit them just makes them seem totally worthless.

Which of my concepts do you think would work better BTW? I haven't really got a preference.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 26th of July, 2010 at 07:51.
Closed Thread