Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Foxtrot's Games > A Lost Childe

Unread 30th of September, 2011, 11:43
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #9579
OOC Thread

As mentioned on the Aegis forums, please move your first posts to the new website so that we can continue, and place your character sheets in the character sheet sub-forum.

My intention is to keep a good pace, and in order to do that I will be adopting a few rules my Rokugan GM has started using:

1) Post deadlines: From this point onwards, I will be placing deadlines of about a week, more or less, to respond to each storyteller post. This is to encourage everyone to keep the story moving, since one person's negligence of the game slows everyone else down and ruins it for them. I don't foresee this being a major problem for our own group, but I'm putting the rule in place anyway.

If after the appointed time your character has not posted, I will take control of them myself and roleplay in your place to allow the story to continue. If this continues for four weeks with no prior notice to me about why you are absent, I will start working the character out of the story.

2) Dialogue: When your characters interact with NPCs or each other through conversation, I encourage you to use our ventrilo chat box or something equivalent with the other party so that you can finish the discussion quickly. Just type out the dialogue, as we did in Champions Online, then have one of the two participants copy//paste the entire chat log into the thread as a single post.

3) Length Requirements: I don't plan on strictly enforcing this, but I prefer it if players attempted to write at least 10 sentences per post if outside of dialogue. If you can't think of anything to fill those sentences, talk with me and we can arrange some background for you. Posts need to be constructive and substantive for everyone to get something out of the game.

The person who posts will have editing rights for the post, and as such should clean up the text so that it easy to read and consists with the rest of the thread's format. You can then add your own character's narration to make the storytelling more fluid if you want (which I highly encourage). Drenik's first post was a collaborative effort by him and myself, and I think it turned out well. Let's keep it up.

Last edited by Foxtrot; 12th of December, 2011 at 17:53.
Unread 2nd of October, 2011, 17:46
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Valawyn and Dagney both have an opportunity to play up their roll successes, then roleplay whatever else they want to accomplish in the four hours before sunrise. After that, I will make another storyteller post and we will repeat the process.
Unread 2nd of October, 2011, 21:41
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Member: #9086
Hey Foxtrot. Looks like you've got yourself a lurker.
Unread 3rd of October, 2011, 03:40
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Cool. We aim to please here.
Unread 4th of October, 2011, 09:14
Valawyn
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9753
Didn't RP the 4 hours, because I'm stuck in a bit of an unfriendly situation. RP'd only my next step.
Unread 5th of October, 2011, 15:46
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Dagney: We will assume you successfully feed on the addict you find under the overpass - feel free to narrate the episode as you see fit. Does your character kill him in the act of feeding?

Your character will feel a strange inclination to hide himself shortly. While the effects of the Change aren't instantaneous and you can still survive in the sunlight, Landis will still feel a primal craving for a dark, safe place to hide from the Sun.
Unread 14th of October, 2011, 12:18
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

The moon has risen on the next evening, 8:54pm. Landis' situation is described in detail in my post.

Serenity: Assume you wake up in your haven uneventfully. Save for an impatient text message from Trogg: Well? You got the sauce?

Val: You are able to make it back to your haven without incident, the two women in tow if you desire. You spent 1:30 with them before having to enter torpor, in whatever manner you think your character would. Describe your haven, what you did with the girls, etc.

Digi: Landis' and your scene begins with you. Describe your awakening and finding this fledgling in your haven.
Unread 14th of October, 2011, 16:47
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Digi: Your character is in the throws of Wassail, and is reduced to a primal creature of rage bent on destroying Landis. You must do everything in your power to kill him until frenzy wears off. Write your piece of the narration to include this eruption of rage.

Dagney: after Digi has posted his bit, go ahead and describe your character's reaction to being assailed by a literal bloodthirsty monster in a graveyard.
Unread 16th of October, 2011, 01:11
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

A note for Serenity and everyone else: vampires in WoD have to exercise great effort to stay awake during the day. The Beast within despises the light of the Sun, and wants to bury itself whenever it is risen - this includes when you are underground and can't see the Sun. You can try to stay up during daylight hours, but the length of time you can manage is dependent on your humanity rating.
Unread 16th of October, 2011, 01:23
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Alex: go ahead and roll me Composure+Resolve -1 die in the dice rolls thread. This is to determine if you are in the fear frenzy, called "Rotschreck", or if you are still in control of your own thoughts while running.
Unread 16th of October, 2011, 01:57
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Drenik: roll me Intelligence+Computer for your information search on the hospital.
Unread 19th of October, 2011, 03:02
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

4 successes (!) on your data search roll.

There isn't a great deal of detailed information, but through some detective work and careful net searching you find much more than the average person should be able to find out without actually visiting the asylum.

Greystone mental hospital was founded in the 1870's by a wealthy philanthropist following the US Civil War to treat some of the war-shocked veterans that returned to the North less than whole. The original building is a massive stone structure built in colonial Gothic style from local granite, hence the name. The institution filled a much-needed niche in the state welfare system, and over time grants from the state government expanded it, turning it into the regional mental hospital for all of the extreme and violent patients other hospitals were unsuited to care for.

The hospital usually keeps about 400 patients under its care, with 100 medical staff and perhaps another 150 staffers and orderlies. Though a patient or physicians roster was not given in any official place, your extensive searching is able to turn up quite a few names of doctors and patients that were transferred there. The caliber of doctors is quite high, the nature of the patients demanding a high level of expertise. A recurring name is Doctor Franklin Grisham, the head physician of the hospital, as well as Doctors Ana Merryl and Anthony Clark, respected researchers in the fields of Alzheimer's and schizoaffective disorder.

A few years prior, there was a controversy that medical negligence caused the deaths of two patients from drug overdoses, though the patients had no living relatives and therefore the state prosecutor never put much effort into examining the events. Likely, an orderly switched two medications by accident.

There is no information on the patient in question available without the skills of a hacker, however. There are some tidbits about the fire and police investigation of it, the consensus of evidence now leaning towards a break-in by a group of individuals who vandalized a section of the hospital before lighting it on fire. No official info has become available, but to you the clues are perfectly obvious. It was likely a less-than professional group of thugs looking for trouble or medication to steal, and the asylum was not equipped to keep determined criminals out (it is designed to keep patients in).
Unread 21st of October, 2011, 03:30
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Drenik: the hospital is miles away, outside of town. How are you getting there?

Serenity: if you want to speed up your conversation with Jacoby, we should schedule a chat in Ventrilo or something similar and do it all at once instead of line by line. You also receive a prompt saying that you have new email.

Val: We need a description of what your character is up to the next day.

Alex: you successfully escape from Digi's character, outrunning him through the cemetery and stumbling through the woods, finally finding a highway that winds towards the city beyond. Feel free to describe it as you see fit, then tell me what your character does. You are in control of your wits, since you did not succumb to frenzy.

Digi: Your character chases Dagney's to the edge of the cemetery, where the prey climbs the crumbling stone wall and tears through the forest. You are compelled to return to your haven and protect it. You precious, safe place. No one can see you here. Sssshhhh.....

Last edited by Foxtrot; 21st of October, 2011 at 03:42.
Unread 26th of October, 2011, 12:40
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Val: you need to make a degeneration roll for vicious murder.

roll 2d10
Unread 4th of November, 2011, 10:26
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Seventy and Landis' scenes have obvious lead-ins.

Vincent, your character should have a conversation with Dietrich for your next bit. We'll take care of that next time you are online.

Gina: I don't feel like forcing you out of your sanctum this early in the game, please be patient.

Digi: describe what your character is up to downtown.
Unread 10th of November, 2011, 16:54
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Digi and Drenik: Give me a brief cue what your characters are up to and where they are going.

Valawyn: You have an opportunity to enter dialogue with your new friend, take any action you want to escape or fight, etc., or let me narrate the next bit. If you want a conversation, we should get together in steam or vent chat in the near future.
Unread 16th of November, 2011, 04:42
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Added a deadline for player responses. As stated before, if I have to do this regularly I will begin rotating characters out of the story.

Continue on without Val or Dagney. Their stories will remain a mystery until they decide to come back or I draw them back in.

Last edited by Foxtrot; 16th of November, 2011 at 17:22.
Unread 17th of November, 2011, 16:01
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Digi has asked about common gathering places for Kindred in Port Elizabeth. I think all the players would like to know this, so I am posting it here. This list is not exhaustive, but it's a starting point of common knowledge all of your characters (except Dagney and maybe Serenity) would have.

Kathryn, a Daeva vampiress, owns a hotel in the business district named "Fiore". Classy place, declared Elysium.

Dietrich the Nosferatu owns a building by the docks he keeps stocked with humans. It's his domain, but he charges guests for nightly rooms.

A Gangrel named Richmond owns a grungy nightclub in the seedy part of town. Not Elysium, but he won't be happy if you cause trouble there.

The Prince himself holds court in Bedlam Abbey - a former monastery the Catholic church sold to an associate of his decades ago. This location is Elysium.

Last edited by Foxtrot; 17th of November, 2011 at 16:03.
Unread 28th of November, 2011, 02:41
Drenik
Skeleton

Member: #9750
I blame Skyrim for the lack of posts recently
Unread 28th of November, 2011, 19:14
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Have a lot of schoolwork between now and the 13th. ill try to keep updating, but we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: all done! may the posts resume

Last edited by Foxtrot; 7th of December, 2011 at 14:32.
Unread 4th of December, 2011, 00:42
Drenik
Skeleton

Member: #9750
I used to post here, then I took an arrow to the knee.
Unread 12th of December, 2011, 17:53
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Added a new guideline to the RULEZ:

3) Length Requirements:
I don't plan on strictly enforcing this, but I prefer it if players attempted to write at least 10 sentences per post if outside of dialogue. If you can't think of anything to fill those sentences, talk with me and we can arrange some background for you. Posts need to be constructive and substantive for everyone to get something out of the game.
Unread 25th of January, 2012, 00:29
Digirono
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9756
Originally Posted by Drenik # I used to post here, then I took an arrow to the knee.
I used to post here, but then I took a pizza to the mouth. And it was good.....