Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Champions

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 14th of January, 2010, 10:01
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
Issue Seven - Queen Alice

A part of him watches the terror blossom in the endless second of the Shadow's demonic teleport. Everything went black. He was sightless again. Then it was over and he huddles his arms so tightly around his knees they touch his back.

The Shadow screams sharply in pain his body covered with angry red incomprehensible markings that seem to sink into its flesh. The same magic markings enshroud Nightwind, but she does not appear to be in pain.

Backing into a corner away from the Shadow, Paul orients himself. His head hurts from a weird pressure in his satellite ears. At first he thinks the teleporting caused it, but deep creaks from the surrounding structure and odd sounding reverberations give him pause. Looking around he realizes the compartment they're in is on its side. It must be a ship underwater.

"...burn this flesh and set me free....burn this flesh and set me free..." the Shadow's guttural cry fades into a barely audible chant. The red runes begin to fade, leaving deep scars and the coppery stink of scorched blood in their wake. With an almost disappointed sigh he slowly pulls himself upright.


Paul's eyes grow wider as he vibrates ready to bolt though he doesn't know where. He looks to Nightwind. A ragged gash across her forehead tells of her unconsciousness.

"It's just you and I Paul," the Shadow's voice is even thicker with pain. The runes glisten redly with demonic fire, leaking thin black trails of sanguine smoke.

Paul's face flashes confusion and fear. He forces himself calm enough to enunciate, "What do you want with me? I'm nothing to you."

"I want you to kill"

Erik & J

Last edited by -J-; 14th of January, 2010 at 10:04.
  #2  
Unread 14th of January, 2010, 11:52
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Paul giggles. He doesn't mean to and nothing about this situation is really funny; yet, the high pitched sound shoots out irrepressibly and goes on milliseconds too long in the tiny dark chamber.

Breathe

Before the laughter finishes bouncing off the walls of this underwater prison Paul's demeanor grows serious, "I'm not a killer."

"We'll see. Familiar yes?" he says producing a large purplish crystal.

In a blur Paul dives for the crystal seemingly lit from within. He snatches it from the inky black of the Shadow's grasp, grabs hold of Nightwind and activates the crystal the way Polnoch has taught him.

Nothing happens.

A low mocking laugh rolls along the pitted metal walls.

"I thought as much. The crystal will teleport you out, but first it must be charged." A twisted grin spreads across Colin's scarred face. "I think you can guess how it needs to be charged," he nods towards Nightwind's stirring form. "I'd hurry if I were you."

In a flash of shadow he is gone.

Paul sighs with relief as the impenetrable darkness leaves. He tucks the crystal into his suit pocket and cradles Nightwind in his lap wishing she were awake.

J & Erik
  #3  
Unread 19th of January, 2010, 23:42
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
Paul sits in belly of the ship holding the unconscious heroine listening. For seventeen entire seconds there is only the sound of Nightwind's breathing and the ocean. The derelict ship vibrates and hums with the rhythms of the sea from the faint metallic groans of shifting bulkheads to the nearly imperceptible pulse of the tide against the hull.

He stretches his arms out. Davy Jones Locker is apparently 9 x 8 x 7. 504 cubic feet. How much oxygen does Nightwind breathe per second? Is my rate different? Probably but still no internet. Breathe slower. Except a passing ship with satellite connection. Maybe a military or scientific vessel? Save me Jacques Cousteau. But I'll use more oxygen moving than meditating. But I'm an agent.

Paul unfolds himself from Nightwind, props her next to him and whips the laptop from his satchel onto his pointy knees.

Suddenly her breathing becomes erratic as she lurches into consciousness. Limbs flail madly in blind panic dark before Paul is able to calm her.

When her pupils contract slightly and her breathing is calmer, Paul says deliberately by the light of his loading screen, "Nightwind, we're trapped underwater with limited oxygen and time. The Shadow wants me to kill you so probably can't kill you directly. Oh, he let me have this crystal, but despite appearances it's not the same as Polnoch's. He implied your death would charge it like that's trustworthy."

He hands the crystal to Nightwind while the other hand begins typing commands.

"I'm going to try and locate a passing network, but I don't think that's likely. Could you punch through this container and fly us out of here fast enough?"

She sits upright and instantly regrets it. Clutching her throbbing head she swoons drunkenly. "Depends on how deep we are. But even if the water pressure didn't crush our chests then we'd have to deal with the bends." She starts to get to her feet but then pitches wildly and drops to all fours swearing.

"Stupid vertigo," she mumbles. "My damn ears feel like they're going to burst, even with Beauty's help."

"Beauty? Yoursuithasaname?" Paul says as his attention focuses on the computer "Doesitalktoyou? Couldwebothuseittobreathe? Sorry. Could we both use it to breathe?" His moonglobe eyes are focused on her suit.

"Unfortunately no. It can't really even breathe for me." She abandons any notion of standing and instead slumps cross legged into a sitting position, her head cradled in her hands. Damp strands of blonde hair frosted with blood hide her features, as her breathing breaks into a quiet, desperate sob.

"Please don't cry. Wedon'thavealotofair," Pauls says without thinking. His hand is on her shoulder before the sound of his voice registers. "The Shadow hit you pretty hard. Perhaps you could meditate? Call out to Polnoch? Was that what you did before?"

Cheeks burning with shame of her weakness, Nightwind chokes back her tears.

This was not how the daughter of Circe ought to behave.

"I think that might be exactly what The Shadow wants."

Erik & J
  #4  
Unread 5th of March, 2010, 10:25
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Nightwind sits cross legged in the center of the small sunken compartment, her breathing barely perceptible. Magical dances across her mind, as she studies the intricate trap that they now sat in. She had been right, of course. The Shadow did not want them as much as he wanted Polnoch, or maybe it was both of them that he wanted. Either way, she once again finds herself playing the role of damsel in distress.

And she hated it.

Before she had gone into her trance she made sure to tell Paul about what Polnoch had shown her when she was locked in Widow's prison. The Shadow's powers came from the demon that was bound to him, and she might not know a whole lot about the demons but she was pretty sure that being bound was something that no demon enjoyed. If it did, Colin would probably be alot less grumpy.

With a deep breath she comes out of her trance.

"I think I was right, this is a trap for P."

Paul blinks.

What? Howdoyouknowthat? Ohrightmagic ... Ifwe'rethecheese,shouldwejustspringthetrap?Hmmnear certainsuicidalsacrificeorPolnoch'ssmartenoughtokn owit'satrapbutcan'tdoanythingaboutit. Chesstrap. Sacrificeknownandanticipatedorworseaseeminglyendle ssseriesofgiveandtake.

"Then we need to get out of here ourselves. How are you feeling?"

"Like crap. My head feels like its going to implode. I can't tell if that's the reason I feel like puking or its whatever mojo the Shadow put up in here."

"There'sstill...there's still magic in here. You can sense it? Can you touch it? Manipulate it?" Paul's mind whirs. He spares a glance at the screen. Nothing. Openhailingfrequencies. Modifylaterallyalongtheemband. Paul blurs around the room tapping at the six main surfaces of their coffin. Where the resonance is deepest, he begins the signal with a spare cord from his satchel. Tip tip tip TAP TAP TAP tip tip tip.


The look of desperation sparks darkly in his huge eyes. "What else can we do? Can you turn a lap top into a radio transmitter?"

"Yeah its weird," she says as she shakily gets herself half standing. "Its like there's layers. There's the spell that's anchoring me here, but there's something older that feels like...nothing." She collapses back to floor, her stomach churning. "Like that makes any sense..."

Tip tip tip. Tip tip tip TAP TAP TAP tip tip tip. "Like nothing? Like sitting alone an empty stadium? Or like a blindspot in the rearview mirror? You know one you feel immensely but can't describe...the other is beyond seeing you know like the wind only its effects are known." Paul's voice trails off, but he keeps tapping the signal.

"The second one."

"What are its limits? What are its effects? Might those tell you what sort of force is presenting?"

"Its this ship or sub or whatever it is we're in. It was crafted to be unseen, to be un-noticed. I can see the faint strings of magic woven into every bolt and rivet. The binding spell is new. I think Shadow made it, or whatever it is that is in the pilot's seat now. I think that crystal you grabed was the trigger."

LiketheWidow. Polnoch'ssister.ornotmaybeawholelotofthemanentiret ribepullingmaeuversacrossdecadesmaybecenturies.

A hummingbird shutter goes through Paul and the light in his eye is swallowed by the darkness for a microsecond. His tapping stops.

TrappedinlayersofdarknessIcan'tpossiblyunderstanda ndeveryoneofthemhasaheadstartand.
Allofusjustpoolballsknockedaboutintheiruniverse.


His face sallow by the screenlight he asks, "Is it Her?"

Then seemingly without hesitation the light in the room grows brighter possibly only because Paul's eyes grow wider, and he says certain they weren't alone in this benighted vessel, "No, that's irrelevant - well not wholly - but perhaps more importantly..."

He begins tapping the SOS again.

Voice low and so very slow he says, "Maybe they can't plan for everything. Polnoch can't. If the whole ship is encased in magic, that's got to be taking some kind of cost right. How can we increase that cost? We have the trigger can we pull it?"

Now that's a thought...

Nightwind's lips purse as she struggles past the throbbing in her head.

"I can't leave this room, and I think P would be similarly trapped." She pulls out the coldly glowing purple crystal. "I wonder..." Carefully holding the stone on her palms, Kat closes her eyes and faint ripples of power dance beneath its amethyst surface. Seconds drag on into minutes until her eyes spring open.

"I think I have a plan..."

J & E
  #5  
Unread 24th of March, 2010, 22:43
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
The group huddles around the phone, tensely waiting. After what seems like an eternity Polnoch's lightly accented voice breaks the unintended silence.

"She is being hidden," he starts, his voice nearly breaking with exhaustion. "I will have to call you back."

The phone goes dead.

J
__________________________________________________ _____________

Starfire stares at the phone, her bottom lip trembling.

Call us back? We have to wait now?

She can't decide if waiting is a good thing or a bad thing. She had just gotten herself talked into facing up to a demon again. A little breather before the big plunge might be nice. But suddenly, she feels that she has to keep moving - keep her mind occupied with doing something - or she'll lose her courage and finally fall apart for good.

"Let's get ready," she says looking around at the others with a half-wild light in her eye. "What should we pack? I- " She catches sight of her reflection in one of the room's wall mirrors, and slaps her hand to her forehead. "Oh God, I'm still in my swimsuit." It is difficult to believe that only a few minutes ago she'd been sun bathing with Nightwind out on the patio!

And now she can't think at all. What clothes should she change into? Who the hell knows? They could be going anywhere at all in the world, how can she prepare herself for that?

I don't know if I can do this, she thinks helplessly. But I have to be strong for Paul and Nightwind.

Lisa

__________________________________________________ ________

"Yeah," Hardball says. "That's a good idea. Everyone should get changed and be ready to go. For all we know, P will magic us out of here too once he figures out where Shadow went."

At least this might give them something to do for the next few minutes, he thinks to himself.

He almost said "where Colin went", but that's clearly not who is driving right now. The thought occurs to him that they might have to save Nightwind at the Colin's expense. To defeat the demon, they might have to defeat the man. It doesn't seem fair, he thinks. From what he said in the Widow's dungeon, the demon was bound to him against his will. There has to be a way to save both of them. Hopefully Polnoch or Nightwind would have an idea.

He rubs his temples as the first signs of a headache settle in. He was beginning to really hate magic.

Paco
__________________________________________________ _____________

Hidden

Well, of course they were hidden. The question is where. Frustration seethes beneath the surface, visible in the clenched muscles of his jaw. Nodding, he started toward the room he'd been sharing with Paul, who could be anywhere right now. Of all of them, he'd been quick enough and smart enough to act, but the two of them apparently weren't a match for Colin's demon.

"We need to stick together, in case he comes back. So get your stuff and let's meet right back here, quick."

He rehearsed the methods for protecting his mind that Nighwind had taught them, hoping he wouldn't have to test them anytime soon. In his room, he looked around blankly for a second before deciding on sturdy jeans and a button down shirt. He bit back a slightly hysterical laugh wondering what the others would don in preparation for duking it out with demons and sorcerers, then headed back to the common area.

Gral

Last edited by -J-; 5th of May, 2010 at 23:28.
  #6  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 22:08
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
Into the deep: Paul, Shadow & Nightwind

The only way out here is for me to die...

Kat's words weigh on Paul more heavily than the ocean above him. His eyes shift from her still form to the crystal pulsing in his hand.

This is what it felt like to hold a person's soul.

A slight change in pressure heralds the arrival of The Shadow even before the room in plunged into blackness.

But Paul is ready for it, his hyperacute hearing pinpointing the whisper of the teleporter's breath. Before Colin even starts his inhale to speak, Milwaukee is moving, his feet gliding over the rough, pitted iron of the derelic ships flooring, their every contour burned in his memory.

8 steps...

5 steps...

Paul can hear the hiss of clothing as The Shadow begins to react. Nightwind was right, he was able to see through his own darkness.

3 steps...

Paul swings the crystal in a wide, whistling arc as he moves in. A boney thud reverberates as Colin raises a hastey block.

"I expected mo..." Paul focuses his attention on Colin arm, feeling the hum of nerve impulses ripple through taught muscle. Paul follows the fist as it coils for a counter strike, moving the crystal in until it touches Colin's torso.

"Oombre'tagh Ky'lah"

Purple light flares like a sun, washing away the dark of the deep, watery prison.


"Colin! 坐直直接並且給予注意!"

Last edited by -J-; 19th of April, 2010 at 09:12.
  #7  
Unread 15th of April, 2010, 07:25
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Like a cutscene in a video game Paul was elsewhere. His heart was still racing even for him. His hands pulsing from the beat too fast too strong. He had held someone's life in his hands. He had killed someone.

Everything he had run from that day in Texas had caught up to him anyway. He was a murderer so much more than an accomplice.

Nightwind had reassured him held his hands as he ... but she told him not to think about it just act as the situation requires. And he did.

And now it makes even less sense. He was beginning to really hate magic.
  #8  
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 09:11
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
"Paul," Nightwind whispers only to have her sentence cut short by the dusty impact of a chalkboard eraser against her head.

"扭转並且給予注意 !" Their thinly built teacher spits the words at her with a trembling finger. Head bowed, she waits until his diatribe ends and he returns to the lesson. After several more feverish minutes of writing he whirls and points at the young Colin, his nasally voice rising to indicate a question.

The young boy glowers from his chair.

Mocking Colin's expression, the teacher blubbers in Chinese for a moment causing the rest of the class to erupt into laughter. Through their jeers Colin's expression doesn't change, even when the children begin to dance around him, cheerily singing their insults as the teacher conducted from the front.

"I think we're stuck in Colin's mind," Nightwind whispers without looking at Paul.

Paul's nod blurs his features.

"Lets get out of here." With the teacher and students distracted she slips her hands under the desk, her delicate fingers twining into arcane gestures as she softly begins to chant.

"Someone doesn't belong here," a voice booms from outside the room so loudly it makes Paul's bones ache. The teacher and students dissolve into wisps of shadow as the whole room begins to shake itself apart. Nightwind's chanting rises to a fevered pitch as she stands. About her hands faint trails of pure silvery light begin to trace the outlines of a magical symbol.

Black claws as thick around as an tar covered telephone pole pierce the wall. Banks of florescent lights spark wildly, spitting lightning through clouds of dust as the ceiling is peeled back to reveal a swirling maelstrom of bloody clouds laced with flashes of sable lightning. Towering a hundred feet above them is the twisted, inky shape of what could only be Colin's demonic roommate.

" There you are..." wicked scaled hands blot out the sky as they reach for them.
  #9  
Unread 22nd of April, 2010, 08:13
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Paul screams in his mine. NOT AGAIN!

He does his best to stay out of the grasp of those wicked hands twisting away from the gigantic palms between scaled webbing hoping to run up the arms and stab the eye of whatever this monstrosity is.
  #10  
Unread 27th of April, 2010, 06:10
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
"Holy shit..." the words fall from her numb lips as her mind reels at the approach of the demon's void like hand.

This is not good...

Her eyes fall on the nearly completed finding spell pulsing in front of her.

Not good at all.

Every boxer has a plan, her sensei used to say, then they get hit.

Her hands feverishly weave and twist at her spell, her heart absolutely certain of two things. First, that improvising magic on the fly was an incredibly bad idea and second that getting pimped slapped by a hundred foot shadow demon was worse.

"PAUL!" she yells at the blur of motion. "EYES!" She wings her hands through the glowing sigil, compressing the runes until they explode in piercing silver light. Inky flesh sublimates into roiling shadow, as the ground pitches to the giant's anguished scream.

Last edited by -J-; 5th of May, 2010 at 23:12.
  #11  
Unread 27th of April, 2010, 13:39
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
That's what I'm doing going for the eyes. But he looks back anyway his focus wavering as he'd really rather not be charging toward the shadowy giant. Seeing the piercing energy compressing in her hands he grasps what she means and closes his own eyes while tucking into a roll toward what appeared to be solid ground.

Orienting himself he sees Nightwind smoke wafting off of her unconscious against a wall. The roiling masses of shadow remnants of the demon move out of the classroom The inky clouds seem to move with a purpose as they head up to the swirling vortex of the sky.

"Colin! This is your mind. You're not a scared child. You're a grown man. I saw you fight demons and destroy them. You need to take control! Nightwind's life is in your hands!"

Last edited by Reinstadler; 30th of April, 2010 at 07:46.
  #12  
Unread 3rd of May, 2010, 06:59
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
The young boy stands in the ruins of the classroom, his fists clenched at his side, his face twisted from his inner struggle.

“Nightwind…?” he says weakly.

“Yes Colin. You need to help her.” A woman’s voice raises wisp like from the coalescing shadow. Black tendrils twine around the boy’s body, solidifying into the arm of a beautiful blonde woman. “We know how good you are at rescuing damsels in distress.”

Colin the boy suddenly was Colin the man, and in a flash of inky smoke the room changes to a damp cavern lit by torches on long rods thrusting upward from the sandy floor. Before him is a great slab of rough obsidian. The blonde walks around the trembling man, red firelight dancing off the smooth contours of her naked flesh. She lies on the slab, her eyes always on his, her hair spilling across the void like stone like warm flax.

“Rescue me Colin,” she breaths thickly, her lips curling into a suggestive smile. “Rescue MEEEEEEEEE!” the smile twists into a scream as her chest opens into a long, brutal gash. Blood fountains across her milky skin as her heart slowly lifts into the air. Arteries stretch and snap as the still throbbing organ pulls free and hovers before Colin’s face.

“Why didn’t you save me Colin?”

The heart begins to smolder as tiny jets of fire worked their way through thick bands of cardiac muscle.

“Why?”
  #13  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 07:52
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Transfixed in horror Paul stares at the heart hovering in front of Colin. Wait this can't be good. He races toward the man who's mind has become a busy bus stop hoping to pull him away before the heart explodes or turns into a giant mousetrap or well.

"Colin! You'refightingademoninsideyourheadtakecontrol! You can still save Nightwind! You can still save me!"
  #14  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 23:09
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
Paul’s touch snaps Colin out of his dread trance. Like a man just waking his mind struggle to understand the images before it. In moments his face darkens with rage. Ignoring the scene before him he takes a deep breath and then channels it into a series of intricate martial postures that reminded Paul of something out of Naruto.

With a loud kiai he slaps his hands together shattering the world around them into misty shadow. The three of them are left floating in a featureless void, the last reverberations of Colin’s clap morphing into an evil laugh. It was a laugh that admitted not defeat, only the end of a single trial.

And it carried with it the promise of many, many more to come.

Floating over to Nightwind Colin takes the purple crystal from her.

“Let’s get out of here.”
  #15  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 23:46
-J-'s Avatar
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member: #1006
Location: Nor'east
Posts: 2,996 (0.58 per day)
“How the fuck should I know how long…” Jacks frustration laden words are cut short by an explosion of inky shadow in the middle of the living room. The loud wooshing sound of displaced air is quickly followed by the thud of three bodies flopping wetly onto the Italian tile.
  #16  
Unread 11th of May, 2010, 05:00
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Starfire had been pacing. She couldn't think of any other way to release the tension that was building up inside her while she and the guys waited for P to call back. She circled restlessly from room to room of the little suite - first around the bedroom that she shared with Nightwind; then back out to the hall and down to the big living area with the hole knocked through one wall; then to the kitchenette where a plate of fruit and cheese had begun to attract flies; then to the sun room with the big window that looked out over the patio. There she'd pause and let her gaze travel down the sun-drenched path that led through the gate and eventually to the most amazing beach she'd ever seen. And she'd wonder how in the hell things had gone so wrong all of a sudden.

Then she'd go back and go through all the same steps again.

Jack and Hardball (or maybe it is Jack and Nick) are talking over by the phone as she makes another pass through the living room. Although she can hear the strain in their voices, she can't quite catch their words, mainly because she is trying her best to tune them out. As much as she wants to be with the guys right now and take comfort in belonging to the group, she just can't stand the burden of their shared anxiety.

It is getting really, really warm in here, she thinks distractedly as she continues her march, I ought to go pull those blinds closed...

Then she hears Jack raise his voice, and it is all suddenly too much.

She whirls around to yell at him to Shut the hell up! Or no, to Get on the phone and call Polnoch right NOW! But there is something weird happening in the room. A dark haze hangs in the air, and there is a sound like one of those pneumatic tubes at the drive-thru bank, and then... three flailing bodies appear from out of nowhere.

Before Starfire knows what is happening her fists have exploded into two balls of white-hot flame, and she is elbowing her way past Hardball to get to Colin.
  #17  
Unread 13th of May, 2010, 04:20
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.76 per day)
Arguing with anyone, let alone a shiny metal bastion of heroism, was hardly the wisest path to take when awaiting the arrival of deranged, possessed anti-heroes. And yet here was Jack, doing exactly that, all the while wondering why in the nine hells he was letting it happen. It was sort of like watching the whole thing on the big screen, knowing that the stupid, hot college girl really shouldn't go skinny dipping in the lake all by herself at midnight - because, you know, there was some guy in a hockey mask with a machete out there just waiting to have some filet bimbo.

Frustrated, he snaps.

"How the fuck should I know how long . . ."

He is cut off by a sudden loud snap, accompanied by welling darkness and the distinct meaty slap of bodies hitting the floor. He jumps up, his chair tilting over backwards, fists poised. A cloud of shadow, his friends inside. The left side of Jack's face is suddenly blasted by a wave of heat. He squints against the blazing white light as Starfire moves forward, but Hardball is in her way and Jack moves first.

The three of them were there, half hidden even in the new light - Nightwind, Paul, and, maybe, Colin. Stunned by the impact or their sudden travel, it seemed. He didn't know what had brought them back, but he'd be damned if he'd let them disappear without a fight.

Surging forward, he slings Kat's prone form over his shoulder and retreats, eyes still on the Shadow.
  #18  
Unread 13th of May, 2010, 05:14
Hardball's Avatar
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2500
Location: La Boca del Diablo
Posts: 425 (0.10 per day)
Starfire’s ferocity takes Hardball by surprise as she attempts to elbow her way past him. His eyes are fixed on her fists, now ablaze—literally—with rage. The doe-eyed beauty from Texas seems to have found her inner confidence, and it now threatens to burn down the villa.

Not good, he thinks to himself as he darts past her, the Italian tile cracking underneath his metal form as he dives for the Shadow. As he regains his footing, he lifts the questionably conscious Colin up effortlessly and with motions practiced at countless wrestling matches (and the occasional out-of-hand beach party) places the Shadow in a restraining hold.

“Nick!” he shouts as he backs up to get some distance between the Shadow and the rest of the group, “Help Paul.”
  #19  
Unread 13th of May, 2010, 10:02
Konrad's Avatar
Konrad
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2510
Posts: 41 (0.01 per day)
Nick is already on his feet and moving when Hardball shouts out. With little effort he pulls the half up Paul fully to his feet and urges him towards the nearest exit. Quickly taking a look back to see if real carnage is about to begin.
  #20  
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 02:29
Hardball's Avatar
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2500
Location: La Boca del Diablo
Posts: 425 (0.10 per day)
Hardball adjusts his grip on Colin and settles into the hold. The weight of his massive metal body presses in on Colin's chest. Colin makes a rough gagging sound as he coughs up a lung full of sea water and hangs limply in Hardball's arms.

"Uh, guys." He relaxes his grip on Colin. "I think you can stand down. He's out."

Last edited by Hardball; 14th of May, 2010 at 07:11.
  #21  
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 22:18
Reinstadler's Avatar
Reinstadler
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1062
Posts: 827 (0.16 per day)
Spitting out the sea water, Paul coughs out, "Stop it! Colin's back in control. He got us out of there."
  #22  
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 03:26
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.76 per day)
Jack lays the raven haired beauty down on the floor, tilting her head back as he does so. He leans down to listen for breathing even though he can't see her chest moving. With practiced hands, he opens her mouth to check for obstructions and - as expected - finds nothing there. Good.

Behind him, he can hear Hardball and - thank god - Paul. Very good.

He takes a deep breath and lays his hands on her chest, ready to begin CPR. Underneath his palms he can feel the skin of her simbiote writhe at his touch, a hundred thousand points of pain digging into his hands as it raises minute needles against his unclean touch.

"Shit!"

He jerks both hands back - knowing, in one of those sudden insightful moments, exactly why the thing reacted as it had. No room for him to forget why he had been chosen for this group. He tucks his hands under his armpits without taking his eyes off of her, feeling the stabbing pain of helplessness. What good was it to know how to save people when all you could do was hurt them?

It would have to be someone else. The furnace like heat slamming into his left side tells him that Starfire is still in the building. Hardball was still tied up with Colin, Paul was half-drowned himself.

Fuck!

"Nick, she needs CPR and I can't do it!"
  #23  
Unread 19th of May, 2010, 14:19
Konrad's Avatar
Konrad
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2510
Posts: 41 (0.01 per day)
Hearing his name Nick turns back towards Jack and Nightwind. The look on Jacks face is an emotional blast as strong as the heat coming from Starfire’s flame.

“She needs CPR and I can't do it!" Jack shouts again.

“If we don’t get her calmed calm down were all going burn” Nick shouts as he moves towards Nightwind to take Jack’s place on the floor while trying to remember those CPR classes his parents had made him take years ago.

Clumsily at first but with greater confidence with each movement Nick begins alternating rescue breathing and chest compressions on Nightwind’s cold damp form.
  #24  
Unread 20th of May, 2010, 02:15
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.76 per day)
Jack backs away from Nightwind, resisting the urge to jump in when Nick looks uncertain. He was right - Jack was sweating now from elevated temperature in the room. A meltdown was imminent.

He turns toward Starfire and almost has to shield his eyes, a result of both too much heat and too much light. His folks had a wood burning stove when he was young, and for a while Jack had delighted in seeing just how hot he could make that fire. From where he was standing he could see the paint blistering on the wall behind her and decides, yeah, she's way hotter than anything he remembers.

He takes a step forward, not sure it'd be wise to lay a hand on her, and instead just holds one up slightly.

"Gabi? It's under control. They're back and they're gonna be okay. Colin is out and Hardball has him even if he wakes up. Time to stand down a bit," he says, voice easy and confident as he tries a grin, "before we need the fire department."
  #25  
Unread 20th of May, 2010, 14:08
Hardball's Avatar
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2500
Location: La Boca del Diablo
Posts: 425 (0.10 per day)
Hardball lays Colin down on the tile. Visually, he can't tell if Colin is breathing--mostly because he's watching Gabi to see if she's going to burn the villa down or not. He puts a hand on Colin's chest, but doesn't feel any movement. His armored form makes it difficult to tell.

He thinks the transformation, and his body obeys. Metal reverts to flesh, and Hardball again attempts to see if Colin is breathing.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren