Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 25th of March, 2012, 22:36
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Cool The Mass Effect 3 Ending [Spoiler] Sucks (To an Acceptable Degree)

THIS POST THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3. YOU NEED TO BE WARNED.

On a side note, if anyone is curious about that offical Team Admin stance on spoilers, please see the rules.

This is a shockingly accurate portayal of the ME3 end game.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 01:31
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
So itches how did you like Mass Effect 3?
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 10:43
itches

The Good: 99% of the game was bloody brilliant.

The Bad: The quest menu was useless. The Kai Lang cutscenes were stupid.

The Ugly: The last 10 minutes. Nonsensical, random, stupid, unfulfilling.

And to those who say that people focusing on the last 10 minutes and ignoring the rest is wrong, I present the following quote:

I had sex with my boyfriend and right before he finished I leapt off him, put on a jester's hat and started reciting Shakespeare. Him ignoring the hour of fooling around and sex we just had to complain about the last 90 seconds is insane. Did all the pleasure he felt up to then get thrown out because he didn't get the ending he wanted?
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 12:06
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I agree with pretty much everything itches said. The Kai Leng cutscenes were kinda cool if you read the Mass Effect books and knew the character a bit better, but I do think without that context they would be pretty bad.

SPOILERS BELOW (Don't read if you're worried):

The ending was terrible, no closure at all. I subscribe to the indoctrination theory, it's the only thing that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Watch that video, it's the only ending that makes any sense to me. That said, it still provides no closure and you still don't know exactly what happened, it just makes what does appear in the game more reasonable.

Destroy is the only way that shepard breaks the control and then wakes up. Other choices mean Shepard doesn't wake up. If your EMS isn't high enough, the Reapers win the battle easily enough and there aren't enough forces to delay the reapers heading down to the beam, and they kill shepard. If your EMS is high, the reapers are beaten and Shepard lives, if you break the indoctrination.

Also, I would have been okay with this ending, suggested in a comment on a youtube video:
The final battle should've been a one on one battle of one-liners between Harbinger and Shepard. That would've been epic.
Also: this never ceases to amuse me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03BDt...eature=related

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 26th of March, 2012 at 12:21.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 12:52
itches

My problem with the Indoctrination theory is that it replaces an ending that doesn't make sense and is out of theme with the rest of the game, with an ending where A) They didn't bother to explain it, and B) It is out of theme with the rest of the game and C) It doesn't end the story.

It actually is even less conclusive story wise than the StarChild gibberish.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 13:18
Linklegacy77

Yeah, it doesn't end the story, but it makes more sense than the other one, it eliminates the inconsistencies, and I disagree with B: by realizing that it's a hallucination from indoctrination, everything experienced there is forced upon Shepard by the Reapers, and it seems to be much more in line with the general themes. That said, A and C are definitely correct, A and B were correct for the ending in any other way you view it.

Also, there is leaked info about a free DLC Bioware is making to sort of 'fix' the ending called "The Truth", which will follow up the ending with more information to explain it and conclude properly, which suggests that the actual ending that exists isn't the conclusion, which supports the indoctrination idea.

http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

None of it makes sense at all unless it's indoctrination and a hallucination though, an absurd amount of impossibilities occur in that ending sequence.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 14:05
itches

Spoilers for like, every bioware game ever

B) It is out of theme with the rest of the game

It is, at no other point in the game do you have to guess as to what is happening. Or in any other bioware game (that I know of) for that matter. Foreshadowing sure, but when you need to know something about the plot, they tell you. You are Darth Revan, killing the Archdemon kills a Warden, Sovereign is a Reaper, Master Li is evil.

To leave the reality of what is happening to be argued debated by fans online? That's a brand new direction.

And there are lots of rumours about what Bioware are doing now that the shit has hit the fan. Most of which conflict with each other. I'll believe it after it happens and I've played it.

Edit: Shifted this out of Spotlight and into it's own thread. Gives me an extra chance for snark in the thread title
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 15:15
Linklegacy77

I agree leaving the reality to be debated by the fans is a new direction, but if you take the indoctrination ending as fact (just assume for a moment), the themes present in it aren't out of line with the rest of the game, it fits reasonably well. My issue with it is that it just stops with Shepard waking up (assuming you make the right decisions) and there's no follow through, no real conclusion, and it's really foggy and lacking.

But yeah, the ending as it is really sucks ass, it's really hard to tell how they thought this would fly.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 15:32
itches

Oh I agree that the indoctrination theory has a disturbing amount of evidence piled up to support it. Some of it is reaching a bit, but there is a lot of it there, and it fits the game. My problem with it is 100% Meta, perhaps it would be better to say my problem with it is the presentation and implementation than theme.

It's really hard to tell how they thought this would fly.
Between the rumours that it was written in isolation and the conventional wisdom that most (I'm looking for numbers) people don't actually finish the games they play, maybe they thought they could. I mean look at the reviews for the game, they're all glowing. Almost like they didn't get to the end of it.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 15:45
Linklegacy77

Okay, we're completely in agreement then, the presentation and implementation sucked ass.

I don't know if they thought that, but it's stupid as all hell. Bioware was well aware of the massive following these games have, die-hard followers that cared quite a bit about the story, characters, and the lore.

I mean, they felt the need to include an in depth codex to help explain the setting in detail in the game (all of it unnecessary) so that players could immerse themselves easier, yet couldn't be bothered at the ending? It must be something else.

And yeah, the game was freaking amazing up until Harbinger shows up (for the first time in the game I might add, considering how much he was built up in ME2 I was expecting to see more of him). Then it took a nose dive.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 16:38
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I decided pretty early that I'd wait until the game would be cheap-ish and then possibly buy and play it. With all updates and bug fixes out as well.

... maybe they'll have a better ending then? Well, we'll see.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 19:08
itches

Well we disagree in that I don't think that the Indoctrination theory is what Bioware intended, simply because I believe that would have been it clear if they had. I don't know if that makes me more or less cynical than you.

The game actually had three breaking points for me, 2 major, 1 minor. The first major one was the Kai Leng boss fight, I'll post more about that once I gather my thoughts in a way that don't contain the phrase "stupid mary sue cyborg ninja." The minor was the final battle on earth when my normal Biotic-Charge, Biotic-Punch, Repeat play style failed me and I died so often it stopped being fun so I turned down the difficulty just to get past it.

The third one was yeah, the end.

And Tash, the game is worth even still. Maybe only worth it if you've played the other two, but I don't regret buying or playing it (twice thus far).
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 23:58
Linklegacy77

The last mission on Earth can get tough if you don't play carefully, just biotically charging everything would probably make it suicidal. Try playing the part where you have to use the missiles as an infiltrator on insanity: infiltrators can't kill banshees >_<.
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 18:58
itches

It was all the damned Reaper blast that the Husks are magically immune to

Anyway, Marauder Shields: Shepard's Last Foe.

Wait does that make sense out of context? No? His name was Marauder Shields. He died trying to save us from the ending.
Unread 4th of April, 2012, 11:57
itches

This is a nice, and long, look at the Mass Effect 3 ending. I'm still working on ordering my thoughts on Captain Cyborg Mary Ninja Sue, but apparently people want me to post in my games and stuff too.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 08:43
Linklegacy77

http://uninhibitedandunrepentant.tum...mind-holy-fuck
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 10:12
itches

I got this far
How did Anderson get to the room before you, when there was only one visible entrance, and he was not ahead of you? He even admits to getting to the Citadel after you. Where did the beam send him? Moreover, how did he know you were in the Citadel?
I took a quick look at that and ... that thing is stupid, they answer this in the game. If they cant understand this much ... just ugh.

Anderson says that he ended up somewhere different and that the walls were moving. He was in a different corridor and was making his way to the centre, when apparently the entrance to his one closed behind him. Look, it's a half hearted attempt to explain it, but don't ignore one of the few things they do try to explain.

Moreover, how did he know you were in the Citadel?
Oh for fuck's sake. He says, and I quote: "I followed you up."

Anyway, this:
BioWare Announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 10:18
Linklegacy77

Yeah I saw that earlier, I'm hopeful.

Yeah, he says he followed you up, but somehow he got there way faster then you did? Nevermind the fact that you hear over the radio at the same time that NOBODY made it up there. You also can see Anderson get blasted by Harbinger if you're watching for it as you run down that slope.

Also, if you look in that room you get to, there's no other space where there could have been an entrance, given that the entrance to the one you're in is open the entire way there.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 10:27
itches

but somehow he got there way faster then you did?
He says he ended up somewhere different than you, apparently somewhere closer to the centre.

here's no other space where there could have been an entrance
His corridor merged with yours, not the main room.

I'm not saying the ending doesn't have massive plot holes (look behind you when on earth, there's no one there - and as you said, Anderson got hit), but can we focus on the ones that are plot holes and not one of the two things that are actually explained.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 10:34
Linklegacy77

Fair enough.

I still think the indoctrination idea makes more sense than this bullshit piece of crap ending at face value.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 14:40
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
I've suddenly become really interested in the ME series lately. I dunno why. I was actually considering getting into it before the ending fiasco. Now I'm not really sure. It looks like EA has some new cunning plan to screw us over...

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 14:49
itches

You totally should. They're not perfect games, but they are really, really good. Even Mass Effect 3 is a great game, it's just that ending.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 14:50
Linklegacy77

All 3 Mass Effect games were absolutely amazing. There is one part of the final game that really angered us, and that's the ending, but that's only because the rest of the games were so ridiculously amazing.

Also, Bioware is releasing DLC to fix the ending of the third game soon, so there's that.

You should definitely play them.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 17:10
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
I haven't played any of the games and dont generally enjoy the style so the spoiler isn't spoiling anything for me. I read the thread though and this all reminds me of the reaction to (including mine) the ending to Neon Genesis: Evangelion.
Unread 6th of April, 2012, 22:33
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
An "open letter" from Muzyka to ME3 fans. Pretty much a defense of their choice with the ending. I'm also pretty sure I've seen other Bioware employees posting their own dissatisfaction with the direction the game ending took, but that was weeks ago and I can't find the links now. In any case, planning a DLC reveal of a new ending from the outset says to me that something isn't right about the release ending, and from a writer's standpoint feels more than gimmicky. Especially since I've yet to hear a fan say anything positive about the ending. The rest of the game? Loved. The ending was not popular or good, and that's the final impression of the whole series. That's important.

I have the first 2 ME games purchased via Steam. I barely got an hours' worth of play in on the first one. Yay grad school, and already having other hobby stuff to do on my downtime (though I do play DA games right away pretty hard for about 2-3 weeks at release...). Maybe it's the genre itself not grabbing me anymore; especially since my stint in SWTOR lasted maybe a month, with random spurts of play now and then until the sub ran out. It felt like a Bioware game I'd played before.