Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > LonePaladin's Games > Rites of Succession

Unread 9th of May, 2009, 08:57
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Lando, you have two Tech/Any at +1

Technician/Fusion, Technician/Jet can be choices.
You can add skill points to them and get them up to +3 which would give you a skill level of 1. You can then use your 'bonus' left overs to pick up 3 more skills that can start the game at +1

Technician/Myomer, Technician/Mechanics, Technician/(Lasers, Missile, or Ballistic).

Being from the FWL and being a Fugitive is also the only way I could find for you to go from being a 'normal' person to being a Mechwarrior without a lucky die roll.
Unread 9th of May, 2009, 13:53
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #152
Keep in mind that it only takes a single skill point to get training in a skill, even if it's at +0. It's still enough to avoid the untrained penalty (i.e., rolling 3d10 and taking the worst).

I'm not expecting everyone to come into this with their skills maxed out. I'd rather everyone have interesting characters, even if they need some time to come into their respective roles fully.
Unread 11th of May, 2009, 06:42
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Well, I'm thinking maybe not being a mechwarrior would be cool, if that doesn't mean I sit around for half the campaign not being able to be in the action any. I could also just start over if that's an option?
Unread 12th of May, 2009, 04:45
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Originally Posted by Thanos # No problems. If you want I will help make your character for you if you give me some guidelines as to what you want.

Make 6 'Rolls' at 2d6, that should cover events and then two 1d6 rolls for certain missions that take longer!
Thank you, a very generous offer.

Mmm. Given what is in the group so far I'd like to go with a Lyran or compatible Aerojock with some spec-ops/intel type skills.

Now to find out if I can do this diceroller successfully yet again. I seem to always mess it up the first time.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 12th of May, 2009, 07:21
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Its pretty much done now. You have to choose a Streetwise, talk to LonePaladin about that. You got what you wanted, but through a weird method (since Aero-jocks) can't take special forces training without getting a 2nd AIT. Not wanting to spend any more Edge than necessary I kept all the rolls as natural.

Your character has skills baby, MAD SKILLS EVERYWHERE.

I also figure you were a Police Tactical Officer next to a Merc base or something. Maybe the pay scale would get you to go back into the military (for yourself).
Unread 12th of May, 2009, 17:26
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Sorry about not posting anything over the weekend. Was terribly busy.

Thanos posted a link to an RPG reference that's MUCH easier to read and navigate through:

http://www.netbattletech.com/nbt-solaris/

There are some slight alterations here and there (probably from expansions and/or errata), but I think that site's the way to go for making characters. It doesn't do the work or number-crunching for you, but it's a lot easier to read than what I posted. (Note that if we DO use this, anything referring to events after 3025 should be disregarded; this means that several Affiliations and Life Paths won't be available from that site — depending on what they are, I might tweak some of the paths to reflect the 'current affairs'.)

Thanks, Thanos.

Side note: I don't plan on making 'Mech combat exclusive, since everyone opted for the RPG stuff. It'll happen, sure, but I'll have other things for you to do as well. I'll figure out how it'll all work together once everyone's got their characters. I'm not expecting anyone's characters to come in with skills of +5 or more, so please keep the min-maxing to a low roar. (It's hard NOT to do it a little, just try to spread it out a little.)

If any of you want to take a mulligan on your characters, I'm willing to give you a re-do.
Unread 12th of May, 2009, 23:13
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

You will need to navigate to the Encyclopedia and then on the Right Side is the character creation. There are a LOT more schools listed...
Unread 12th of May, 2009, 23:48
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Vortigern,
Sorry I spelled the name wrong for the thread. When you have transposed it under a new heading with your characters name then we can have it deleted.
Unread 13th of May, 2009, 03:12
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Are there any decisions I still need to make?

Is there anywhere where you can see the relative skill levels of people with different plusses? How good is a zero vs one, two, or three I mean? What is 'master' vs 'journeyman' vs 'newbie' in a given skill?

And thank you by the way Thanos, I appreciatte it.

The police line of progression. What does that necessarily reflect? The Lyrans still represent hundreds of worlds... that could, or likely 'is', a huge organization to police all of that.

Unread 13th of May, 2009, 04:19
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #3238
One thing to keep in mind is that much of the inner sphere is governed through the feudal system. Sectors, systems, and even planets, are often broken up into land grants, with nobles ruling areas of varying sizes.
Unread 14th of May, 2009, 05:49
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

A good point. That would change my perception of the police a bit. What is the general flavor/personality of House Steiner? Would their police type folk be like regular police or more of a feudal sergeant type of retainer?

That would make more sense in his line of progression. Going from war veteran aero-jock to a civil retainer of the house used in covert stuff, rather than just being 'another cop'. It could be interesting...

But like I said. I don't know the background details as well as I should like. I will need to do some more research.

Unread 14th of May, 2009, 09:33
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

LonePaladin, thanks for the opportunity to take the mulligan as I am definitely going to take it.

I'm going to take the suggestion of the mecha tech/dropship pilot and will take some help from Thanos or anyone else who has time. Much appreciated. Life has had me stressed a lot lately and I'm intending to look at the site/link Thanos shared this weekend some.

BTW, I will be on vacation from May 22nd until May 29th, so if my pc needs to wait or anything to be introduced that's fine as well. I don't want to hold up the game.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 14th of May, 2009 at 09:36.
Unread 14th of May, 2009, 14:12
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Originally Posted by Vortigern # A good point. That would change my perception of the police a bit. What is the general flavor/personality of House Steiner? Would their police type folk be like regular police or more of a feudal sergeant type of retainer?

That would make more sense in his line of progression. Going from war veteran aero-jock to a civil retainer of the house used in covert stuff, rather than just being 'another cop'. It could be interesting...
Actually, the position of police forces in the Inner Sphere is somewhere between the two; they are the primary means of law-enforcement within their homeworlds, but have almost no jurisdiction on other worlds.

Naturally, there are exceptions a particular unit, or noteworthy cop, might be sent to another world to help with a tricky crime, and any incidents that upgrade from local to interstellar get reported to the noble in charge of that part of space. Some criminals manage to get themselves under the attention of all the Great Houses, winding up on ComStar's "Most Wanted" list.

Most covert-ops types and detectives in the police forces still started out as a beat cop.
Unread 15th of May, 2009, 05:23
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
SOrry I'm afk. I'm out of town until next Thursday or so. I AM reading the threads, but I don't really have the time or ability to update until I get back home. House hunting in NJ takes a lot of time.
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 01:08
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Well what I am looking for is a reason that makes sense to me insofar as how or why he would go from a successful aero-jock tour to becoming a beat-cop. He would be able to be more 'successful' in a variety of ways by being a civilian pilot with his skills, post war. I was thinking it would make more sense if he was recruited into some kind of special service or unit that serves(ed?) House Steiner in some non-standard capacity. That would make more sense to me than a successful/decorated academy grad then deciding the wanted to be a local police guy. Not that I mind how the character has turned out, I'm just trying to make it all fit storywise. Any suggestions?

Unread 17th of May, 2009, 02:08
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Well you did go into the "Fields: Police Tactical Officer" and then do a COVERT OPS mission. I would suggest that your character was recruited to infiltrate a Merc to steal some lost tech. You went into Police school to get near where they were stationed. Got to know them, pulled on as an infantry trainer when you got out of school. A couple of years later you found the opportunity to get the information you need, interrogated it out of somebody, and stole an Aerospace fighter to rondivue with the waiting jumpship to get you out of there.

Now you have a nice plane and a major Enemy! To bad you forgot your wallet/credstick in your hurry to get off planet ;-)
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 06:48
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Hmm. Is the group leaning towards a merc group right now?

- How would Steiner treat a former covert guy like that? Or would he just stay a covert and be still pretending to be a merc... occasionally being tapped for things by command ( In for life...)?

And what kind of stuff qualifies as being called 'lost tech'?

Unread 17th of May, 2009, 07:06
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I think the entire idea of the game is to get people together into a Merc group/band.

In For Life means just that. You could have 'retired' and went and joined a Merc group as something to do. You could be on another 'mission'.

Lost tech could be anyhing, but you certainly don't get to keep whatever it was ;-)
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 12:43
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #3238
In the Battletech universe humanity reached a very high level of technology. There were a series of wars, The succession wars, that lasted for decades (This campaign is set just after the third succession
war. During these wars industrial and technological centers were prime targets. A great deal of advanced technologies were lost. For instance: interstellar travel is accomplished via Jump ships, the K-F Jump drive bends space, allowing instantaneous travel over distances of 30 light years. These ships can no longer be built, and very few can still repair them. This has led to an agreement that jump ships are never targeted in battle. They can be captured, but are almost never destroyed.
The star league army (Precursor to the current successor states) had supply depots all across the innersphere, and even out in the periphery. Most of these depots were looted long ago, although every once in a while one is discovered again. Some times they contain equipment that is no longer available. It might be a high efficiency water filtration system for the depot itself, or a stockpile of advanced electronics, weapons, armor, even tanks or mechs. Any of these items would be considered “Lostech” if they can no longer be produced. Lostech is some of the most valuable items one can find/possess.
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 14:53
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

David summed it up pretty well. It's an option to consider with where you want the game to go, at least initially: instead of being a 'typical' mercenary unit, you could be LosTech prospectors who take on combat missions to keep the bills paid.

Or, if you want to ease into the merc field, you could begin as a unit under the command of a House military structure. If you started that way, you wouldn't have to worry too much about things like upkeep (except for those of you who own your vehicle). You can also start out as part of a larger merc unit, as well.

Naturally, you could all choose to go freelance and make your own merc unit together. But that'd mean you'd have to do all the upkeep yourselves, and those of you who don't have Owns Vehicle won't get to start with one; you'd have to rely on employers willing to loan you one until you get the cash to buy one yourself.
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 03:31
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I like the idea of being Freelance agents signing on to a larger merc group and then getting put all together for missions or going out in 2's or 3's on missions or assignments. In this time frame, right after the war, there is a lot of pirate hunting and major action in the FWL civil war. Rashilage freedom movement would be hiring mercs to make raids against the DCMS and Lyrans (dangerous in the extreme IMHO) but they might pay very well.

For those without mechs, they would just get paid for their skills, while those of us with mechs would get paid a much higher amount based on the size of the vehicle and its combat ability. For characters without ownership, it does only cost 4 stat points to get ownership. As long as you go on 1 'Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere' you get to start with a vehicle 2, which is a light mech. There are plenty out there that are nice and worth having in a lance!
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 06:38
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Yeah, it might be worth it for everyone to get the Owns Vehicle trait, even if that means you're going to be throwing a lot of money at them. You'd know that, if you leave whatever unit you start in, you get to take your machine along for the ride. 'Course, it also means that you're on your own if it gets shot out from under you.
Unread 21st of May, 2009, 02:57
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

How would that interact with the 'Vehicle: 7' and 'Custom Vehicle: 2' that I rolled on my character?

Unread 21st of May, 2009, 05:27
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I believe from the chart online that that an AeroJock gets and Assault class ship at 7. With Custom Vehicle 2 you get to choose just about any ship you want out of the 3025 book. If I miss my guess the aerotech ships are pretty universal (although the variants might not be). That is mostly because there just are not a lot of ships designs out there...only 2-3 per weight class.
Unread 21st of May, 2009, 10:16
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

I'm open to the mercenary/freelance idea, but can't get indepth until i come back from my trip, so I'll trust in ya'll to get me a suitable pc if you got time.

Thanks Thanos and everyone for the help/guidance.