Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Inquiries

Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 06:42
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Uploading Files

So, it seems that there is the possibility of attaching files to posts, but that there is a file size limit of 100k. Is this a limit that can be negotiated? The maps that I need to put online for the Gladiator Tournament are going to be larger than that. It's not by much though. The bare minimum file size is 100.5k (just the arena background) while one with obstacles and characters placed on it seems to be in the 125k range. Do I have to find off-site hosting for these files (I've done it before and made it work) or is it possible to get the size limit raised a bit so that I can attach the images using the Attachment option?
Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 06:45
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Yeah, although most of my maps are about twenty or thirty kb I have a few that are getting to around 160ish. I think Danny has mentioned raising the attachment size, so I'll prod him if he doesn't see this before I see him.
Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 07:55
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
100kb does seem kinda smallish, though works for a lot of things...but not so much for others. A slight increase shoulodn't mess things up too much, should it?
Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 14:40
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
125k or 150k would be more reasonable, though I use Photobucket for most hosting.
Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 15:45
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
I'm still kinda irked at photobucket when they inexplicably yoinked one pic. I sent several emails. First I got told, predicatably, to check the ToS. I sent back a reply saying I had, and no idea why based on those. Then they said "Um, it looks copyrighted..." It was a piece of art by a friend, using my site to host. Permission granted. The same album that pic is in is full of work by the same artist. She used my album because I would color her lineart so we had them all in the same place. When I sent a big long list of the emails I'd sent and explained -again-, I got no reply back.

Their forums also make me edgy. Any questions--in the forum presumably for that--are quickly zoomed in on by the Admin with "friendly" reminders to go read the ToS and use the email support. When someone said they'd done that and all email support told them was "go read the ToS" again, and they would like some further explanation, the Admin got real snotty, and then locked the thread. Their policy on art theft is also disturbing. They flat-out told someone "well, we can tell you all the deterrants that exist, but people who really want it will steal it anyway. It's just best to assume that anything you publish on the internet is now free use and forget about it. Cuz you can't prove it, and we don't want to worry about possible legal things." Which is...um...F***ed up, honestly.

I still use them cuz I haven't many other options (though I've started using my LJ gallery more now), but...So far as I can see, Photobucket has random rules enforcement, and really crappy service.

Last edited by LynMars; 3rd of August, 2006 at 15:49.
Unread 3rd of August, 2006, 19:13
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
I just stick to graphs, the occasional map, and small items.
Unread 6th of August, 2006, 19:28
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
Ok ok, since I have enough hdd space anyway, I'll raise it...

EDIT: 250kB should do it, right? And while we're discussing attachments anyway, are there any file-extensions that you'd like to be able to attach beyond the currently available ones?

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 7th of August, 2006, 00:47
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

No, I'm happy with the current file set. It's not like I'm going to post the original CC3 files anyway. Not many people could read them if I did.

And thank you for the size upgrade. 250 should be more than enough.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 02:15
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Another question for the powers that be:

In running my tournament, I'm going to be uploading many files: at least two per match per round of combat. Last time round I had as many as 20 some odd matches running at once (in the early rounds) and the average match length was about 5 rounds. That works out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 images just for one round of the tournament. Is this going to create issues with the space allotted to uploaded images? Should I delete the old images once they are no longer needed (such as at the begining of each round of combat)?
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 01:47
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
If you run into troubles when you run your tournament, we'll worry about it then...

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 10:12
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

As you wish.