Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 20th of July, 2004, 15:34
AbusePuppy
Ghoul

Member: #299
Considering an FF7-Based game...

First off, apologies to Setzer- I'm not trying to fight with you for players on this, I've just been tossing the idea around for a long, long time and wanted to finally start setting it up. With that out of the way...

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about starting a game set in the world of Final Fantasy VII, one of my favorites from the series- though I won't get into that. The game would be set in the time of the final CG in the game, five hundred years after the fall of Meteor. The world has, in many ways, calmed down, but a war between the Western continent and Eastern continent is brewing. Characters with some relation to the FF7 regulars are strongly encouraged (details on that to come) and you will get to play with airships, subs, and all the other neat stuff standard to the Final Fantasy genre.

For the system, I am torn. I think that, with a few modifications for flavor, BESM can do a more than passable job for representing FF7; I do know the Returners FFRPG system, but I'm not as familiar with it as I am other systems and I doubt other people are either and trying to create a world and teach a system at the same time is just asking for disaster. I considered Thrash, which does a good job but gets the boot for many of the same reasons as the FFRPG, and I have a general aversion to all things d20. Thus, it's probably going to end up being BESM.

However, I'd like to make sure I have a solid player core for this before I get too far. I'm looking for three to seven players who have some familiarity with the BESM system (or, if you can suggest something better, I'll consider that). I'm also a little picky with grammar/spelling- I'll expect that you at least maintain a modicum of proper writing.

So, err, now that I've driven 95% of the people away... anyone intrested?

-SMAP

"I suggest we fine the leaders of this evil industry infinity billion dollars!"
"That's an excellent idea, senator. However, I think a real number might be more effective."
Unread 20th of July, 2004, 22:18
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Member: #131
I think it was expected that I say I am in....FF 7 is my favourite from the series although haven't played in years. Also BESM would be great for a game like this, especially when it comes to signature moves like limit breaks. Character concept...not to sure yet.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 02:12
Zae
Zombie

Member: #829
Yes, FF7 is my favourite too. I would like access.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 05:44
stealthbanana
Spectre

Member: #386
Count me in, but don't be afraid to kick me out if I don't get my character submitted in a reasonable amount of time. I have a habit of forgetting to build characters and submit them...
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 07:49
Seer
Skeleton

Member: #777
I lost my character for Setzer and I like FF7/BESM much better than FF6/Returners. Sorry Setzer. The Centra goddess Aerith calls me to this game....
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 10:59
AbusePuppy
Ghoul

Alright, since I have four people giving intrest right now, here's some world details. I'll start posting rules here in a little while, but I have stuff to write up and figure out first.

(It should be noted that, since I know next to nothing about Advent Children and what, exactly, happens there, I will be mostly ignoring its storyline.)

Five-hundred and ten years ago, in the Year of the Fall, Meteor descended upon the planet. Through the heroic efforts of Cloud Strife and his companions, total disaster was averted and Jenova and Sephiroth eradicated. However, the damage was still quite severe, especially to the city of Midgar in particular. Immediately following the Fall, ShinRa collapsed from within and threw much of the world into chaos. It was several years- during which time Cloud's party, along with fracticious elements of ShinRa and other assorted personages managed to restore some level of normality to civilization. More normal power sources replaced mako energy and magical and technological discoveries from the civilizations of the ancients (Cetra) helped restore what had been lost in the disaster. It was not long before life returned to its more peaceful state and the party split up, each returning to their home towns to settle down.

Time passed. A new generation began to replace the old. Cities grew, and cities faded. Junon and Costa del Sol in particular began to takes places as important centers of commerce. Trade between the two continents blossomed, bringing a golden age of rapidly-advancing technology and magic. The wars of the past were all but forgotten. Cloud, Tifa, Barrett, Yuffie, Cid, Nanaki, and Reeve held positions and ambassadors (and, occasionally, enforcers) between the cities they made their homes in.

One by one, though, they began to leave the world. Cloud and Tifa made one final journey to see their friends before vanishing forever, presumed to have eventually died in obscurity. Yuffie ruled the Wutai clan for almost a hundred years before passing on. Barrett built Corel into a coal haven that would later collapse as the mines emptied out. Reeve and Cid salvaged what they could of their respective portions of ShinRa and formed new companies that were left to their descendants.

With the departure of the living legends from the scene, relations began to worsen. Competition, rather than cooperation, began to become the rule. Relations between the two major continents strained as they competed for border territories and technological dominance. And, as would eventually turn out to be worst of all, old prejudices and hatreds directed at Wutai drove the ninja further and further into isolation.

Two hundred and sixty-three years ago, open warefare broke out despite the strongest urgings of Nanaki, the only surving member of the "original nine." S small series of skirmishes with only a few tens of thousands of casualties ensued as the three major powers tested themselves against each other. Wutai attempted to end things quickly with a series of lightning assasinations against Eastern and Western military and political figures; less than half were successful. The retaliation was immediate and brutal. One of the two powers- both blame the other to this day- unleashed a spell or device of terrifying power, engulfing the entire island of Wutai in a storm of epic proportions. Over the next week, a few ragged survivors struggled their way out by boats, telling horror stories of constant hurricane-force winds and monsters not seen since the days of Meteor. Grudginly, both powers agreed the cost of the war would rise too high and signed peace accords limiting their military growth.

So the world stands to day- a cold war that has endured for nearly three centuries. With all efforts focused on the war, monster appearances- once the stuff of mere legends- are becoming more and more commonplace. The Northern Continent is a wasteland, frozen and battered from periodic "training excercises" held between the two armies. The storm that brought Wutai's doom has not yet subsided, sealing off a whole corner of the world from human eyes.

Characters will be from the Western Continent (i.e. the one with Costa del Sol, Gogonga, Rocket Town, etc), though I am very open and will accept almost any idea, though some modification may be nescessary. The group will be either Western army soldiers or mercenaries/spies employe by one or more of the Western governments; the game will focus on the brewing war between the two continents, as both are becoming dissatisfied with the current peace agreements. Again, characters with some kind of relation to the heros of FF7 are encouraged and I will be awarding extra CP for those who give me detailed backgrounds.

That's all for now. PM me or post character concepts; I'd like you all to at least have met each other when the game begins, though that isn't exactly a requirement, just a possibility.

-SMAP

"The French stopped bombing the Elbonians when they realized there was nothing worth destroying there. Ironically, the Elbonian GNP tripled from selling bomb fragments. Right now they're trying to goad France into another war."
"YOU CALL THIS SWILL CHAMPAGNE? IF WE DRANK THIS, WE'D HAVE TO EAT SNAILS TO GET THE TASTE OUT OF OUR MOUTHS, TOO!"
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 11:55
Seer
Skeleton

I'm thinking of a member of a Centra cult. Since the Centra are all dead and Jenovah and Seperoth have discouraged all cloning efforts, all aspire to be Centra through example and deed. To become the cult elite, one must immerse one's self in the spirit energy of the earth for at least a day and survive. The longer you are immersed, the more Centra-like you become: Stronger connection to the earth, stronger spiritual powers, passive life and battle technique, etc. All worship the Saviour, the Goddess, Aeris(Aerith), she who saved the world at the cost of her life and the love it offered her. All members of the Nine are held with great respect, though the most prominent(besides Aeris) are Cloud and Tifa.

If this is too much correct anything ya want. Or erase it all, I'll understand. (Can you tell who my favorite character is?)
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 12:51
ajsuson
Ghoul

Member: #617
Well, then. If FF7, why not in FFRPG to play with? It would be a good idea either way. Again... did you say Thrash or BESM d20? Fine then, you can tell me which games do you want to run. Besides, I learn about the FFRPG2e but I need to learn more about Thrash and BESM d20.

Last edited by ajsuson; 21st of July, 2004 at 13:08.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 13:56
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

It is regular D6 BESM....I hope.

Anyway I think I will opt for a character decended from Cid or something...sort of like a corperate guy with kick arse fighting prowess....using spear like weapons like Cid of course...always wanted to do that with a besm character.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 14:06
Demon Zero
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #425
I love FFVII. It's the game that introduced me to the whole Final Fantasy series (I guess I was a bit of a late-comer, ). Anyway, I know the BESM system best, though I wouldn't oppose picking up another to play in this. That is, if you've still got room for me,
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 14:07
stealthbanana
Spectre

Would it be okay if I played someone decended from Nanaki? I want to be an intelligent red wolf! He'd probably be directly related to Nanaki, if that's possible. He could be a member of the army, I would think.

If I don't play that, I'm going to play a Barret-like character, without the gun graft. Just a lot of guns and cursing. I'm thinking Barrets daughter started another family, and muuuuch later my character is born. Still in the Wallace family line, though.

Either one sound okay?
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 15:06
AbusePuppy
Ghoul

I like the idea, Seer. It'll lend itself well to the game.

Ajsuson: As I said above, the FFRPG system (any of them) is relatively complicated, enough that anyone new to it would be lost for a while, and has problems of its own. Don't think that I don't like it- I do- but I prefer BESM.

shiversBESM d20. Ewww. Don't say those words around me. We'll be using the normal, d6-based BESM rules. Also... err... your post seems to be missing a lot of words.

Status of the Cities

Midgar: Partially flooded and overrun with vegetation. All of the old mako reactors have been overgrown with wildlife as part of the Planet's response to the damage done. Midgar is now a city of outlaws and vagabonds.

Kalm Town: Minimal changes. Kalm is larger, but maintains the idyllic air despite the proximity to Midgar.

Bifrost: Located on the plains north of where the Chocobo Ranch was in FF7, it serves as a military (naval) base for the Eastern Continent. A network of towns to the south mine mithril and other precious minerals to fuel the continent's economy.

Fort Condor: Mostly abandoned in the wake of ShinRa's collapse, now inhabited only by a few ecologists who study the Phoenix and their behaviour.

New Junon: As the oceans moved in and the old mako reactor vanished forever into the ravages of the sea, New Junon arose as the unifying power for the east. The city is built into a network of caves in the rock that supported the old ShinRa city, of which much was salvaged, including many of the weapons.

Costa del Sol: The west's answer to New Junon. Grown from a simple tourist town into a massive, sprawling port city, a breakwater rings the city and guards it from any possible attack, whether man or creature.

Gongonga: Now recovered from the mako explosion, the reactor has been completely consumed by the forest. The town has extensive farming industries and serves as the source of food for much of the Western Continenent.

Corel: Even more desolate than before, Corel experienced a brief rebirth under the guidance of Barrett, but fell back into ruin some time later as the coal mines ran dry. With even the Gold Saucer gone, Corel is little more than a ghost town populated by the most wretched examples of humanity.

Gold Saucer (old): Heavily damaged by Ruby weapon in the final days of Meteor's fall, Dio abandoned the original Gold Saucer and moved south to the area near Mideel. The original serves as a hideout for bandits who roam the desert and occasionally strike at towns in the area.

Kageba Forge: The blacksmith's shop south of the Saucer. It has been turned into a general black-market clearinghouse where any kind of weapon or destructive device can be bought, along with men who will teach you to use them in deadly ways.

Nibelheim: The home of Cloud and Tifa Strife most of their lives, Nibelheim has a strong martial arts tradition and is still home to a well-organized militia, which is nescessary to fend off the mountain beasts.

Cosmo Canyon: One of the few remaining havens of peace in the world, Nanaki, now old and little able (or willing) to enforce his will upon the world, both sides still respect the neutrality of the Canyon while he is alive. Many of the academics and students of the Planet still gather here to learn, especially those who are unpopular with the two world powers.

Rocket Town: Though the space program is mostly defunct due to lack of ShinRa's massive financial resources, airship fields have sprung up in its place and serve as the Western Continent's most powerful military weapons. Training and construction are both handled here, along with being something of a "pitstop" for airships of all kinds and makes from the world over.

Wutai: Still locked in that eternal windstorm that no human can survive, Wutai is now little more than a barrier between the two continents, forcing the battle lines to be drawn on exlusively along the ocean on the other side of the world.

Temple of the Ancients: Even though nothing remains of the original temple, itself the very essense of the Black Materia, the site serves as "holy ground" for members of the various cults that sprang up in the aftermath of the final battles, both those that support Sephiroth (and there are some...) and those that variously worshipped the Cetra, Aeris in particular, the nine heros, or any combination of the above.

Bone Village: Still digging away despite the rampaging nature around them, still uncovering the secrets of the ancient civilizations, still unaware and uncaring of what happens in the world around them.

Angrboda: Located on the site where the Northern Crater used to be, which as since healed over. However, the wild energies of the Planet that have sealed the wound have also driven nature here mad and the citizens fight an unending war against the life around them. Few citizens ever leave the town, though, and fewer still outsiders ever come to the town for any length of time.

Icicle Inn: Destroyed in the wake of Meteor and the encroaching wildlife of the Northern Continent.

Blood of Heros
Guidelines for being descended to famous people.

Strife/Lockheart: Cloud and Tifa had some half-dozen known children and may well have had some that aren't known about. The town of Nibelheim in particular is home to literally hundreds of their distant relatives, but people all across the world boast of that most impressive heritage.

Gainsborough: Aeris had no children and no known relatives, but that doesn't stop the occasional "lost descendant" from showing up to claim respect. Her adopted mother did, however, have one further child after Aeris, though the girl had no actual relation to the last of the Cetra, being a sibling in name only.

Wallace: Though Marlene wasn't technically his daughter, that never bothered Barrett, nor has it anyone else. A few Corelians still have his name, but most are so downtrodden it's little more than an excuse to beg for a few extra gil.

Nanaki: Still alive, his two cubs have raised a lot of questions, as he is quite surely the last of his race. (Incidentally, no, you may not play them.) Strange experiments and the bloodstained legacy of ShinRa fill rumormills, but the Elder himself is absolutely silent on the matter.

Kisaragi: Not completely wiped out by the destruction of Wutai, the Kisaragi clan is now simply mercenaries and assasins-for-hire. The Kisaragi name carries a mixture of pity and hatred with it for what they did and what was done to them. Many of the ninja abandon it altogether.

Highwind: Though Cid had several children of his own, the name Highwind is also taken by captains of the highest rank in honor of the first man in space and greatest captain ever to sail the skies.

Valentine: As the crisis died away, Vincent simply faded into the shadows, never to be seen again. Are there any more of his kind? Rumors and hearsay claim so, but virtually nothing is for certain.

Reeve: Never having taken a wife due to his obsession with building a new company from the ashes of ShinRa, Cait Sith's controller lives on only through his company and his vision.

That is all for now. Materia system and new attributes/defects are coming somewhat soon. Looking forward to char ideas- if anyone needs help, I'm always available for ideas via PM or post.

-SMAP

"With any luck, we'll be as successful as Fox News says Micheal Moore is. I hear he goes everywhere in a solid gold airplane shaped like a burning American flag."
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 15:13
AbusePuppy
Ghoul

Lightning addition to the people who posted recently here:

Sponkle: Cool. See details above for starters on your history. If you're actually corporate/military, you're probably going to be strongly affiliated with the Western Army in some way, even if you don't nescessarily agree with them on things.

Demon: Still wide open. Welcome aboard.

Stealth: Main problem with being descended from Nanaki, as noted above, is that he is the last of his species. Those two cubs... god knows where they came from. Still, as I said, nothing is forbidden. PM me if you really like the idea. Otherwise, being related to Barrett is more than fine.

This is shaping up quite well. I'll be requesting a forum in the near future here, once I have char ideas from most/all of the people and I decide exactly how I'm going to want my forum organized.

-SMAP, faster at replying than a speeding bullet.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 15:36
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

*Nods* Well all seems very cool indeed, will wait for more specifics in ragard to Cid's company, company affiliations etc before writing up a history.

*Eagerally awaits character gen info*
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 16:28
The Leprechaun
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #852
I am interested in joining the fray. I was wondering if a pirate-type related to maybe Reno was a possibility? Saying Reno and the rest of the Turks that were still alive didn't go with the rest of ShinRa's children companies and started to be mercs and smugglers.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 16:41
The Leprechaun
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #852
I was wondering what happened to Mideel and Dio's influence there? Has it become a new Gold Saucer and does it have links to smuggling?
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 16:51
ajsuson
Ghoul

Member: #617
Did you mean, BESM Tri-Stat? Yay!!!! Okay, I have to create my character ever.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 19:49
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Urge to make character....rising
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 22:22
Demon Zero
Unanimated Corpse

Its been a while since Ive played this game, so let me make sure Ive got this right:

When a person dies in this world, their soul returns to lifestream bringing with it the experiences they had in life, further enriching lifestream. This is kind of like a cycle, with souls going out into the world and returning to lifestream with their memories and then going out again.

So, could a character who claims no blood relation to Aerith (since thats impossible anyway, ) still be connected to her through lifestream? In other words, could my character have a part of Aeriths soul reborn in him?
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 22:36
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Well even if you did you wouldn't know it..you couldn't lay claim to a title. Sorry AP this is your area
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 22:37
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Aerith?
*hits Demon Zero with a stick*

Please don't be on of those "everything Japanese is cool" kids, it isn't big or clever
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 22:55
Demon Zero
Unanimated Corpse

Originally Posted by BigRedRod Aerith?
*hits Demon Zero with a stick*

Please don't be on of those "everything Japanese is cool" kids, it isn't big or clever
Awww, I figured people would yell at me for being "inaccurate," otherwise .

God, I just can't win, can I?
Unread 22nd of July, 2004, 00:16
Zae
Zombie

Member: #829
*blinks*Sorry, I am confused here... a reference to there being Aerith or Aeris, depending on which version of the game you play? Or something I missed completely.

At any rate, I think being a descendant of Yuffie would be fun to play, and also an ideal window for playing the sneakier type - something I don't have a tendency to do. And also to be a smartass and annoy other characters (but, hopefully, not the players). Oooh, an idea forms already.
Unread 22nd of July, 2004, 00:29
stealthbanana
Spectre

Okay, I'll play a member of the Wallace line.

I'm thinking somebody with a Barret-like attitude. Sick of living in Corel, he signs up with the military. There was a lot of cursing involved in his departure

Oh, and in the tradition of FF games, even if we're in the military we can have... 'unique' weapons, right? Like gunblades, huge swords, and cannons grafted to our bodies?
Unread 22nd of July, 2004, 01:14
Seer
Skeleton

Demon zero see my cult post if you want to play a Aeris(Aerith) cult member. But while Centra did return to the Lifestream, their souls were not recycled. They remained to protect it. The only way to be a true Centra is to be directly descended from one. This is why Seperoth and Jenovah failed because they didn't have the soul of a Centra simply the power(If Jenovah was in fact a Centra before death, her soul left long ago, thus unable to pass it on to Seperoth)

This is from information I remeber, found, and parts I made up to fill the gaps.