Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > hedgeknight's Games > Adventures in Sembia

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 25th of December, 2018, 14:07
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,886 (0.40 per day)
To Sell A Book

First Stop: The Library

Aunt Marla sighs. "I will make arrangements for Oliver. You need to head to the Library and quickly. Ask for Samantha > she may be able to help you. Or at least point you in the right direction."

Dorian and Echo say they will stay with Septinius and help Aunt Marla with Oliver. That leaves the five of you to carry on the mission. The sun...what little is shining...is beginning to descend to the West; you figure it is approaching five o'clock.

Grimmell takes a deep breath and says, "OK, off to the library we shall go."

Vindolen Rukford was examining a bit of frayed tunic that he would have sworn still emitted faint wisps of smoke from Darla’s spell. He sniffed it to make sure. “I still say it might be a good idea to find out where Darla and Green are. ‘Twould be all kinds of pleasing to me to know where Rustin was as well. Otherwise, I have an inkling more surprise might lie in wait for us,” he says in his slow drawl...thinking about routes in his head. He smiles and gives Spades a look. "I think I know a fairly speedy way to the library, and one that will help us avoid ambush spots as well."

Spades nods, and starts walking towards the door, and then stops to turn back to the others. He pulls a crinkled note from his vest...the note he took from the dragonborn. Fortunately, the note is written in Common. The tabaxi clears his throat and reads,

Brass, old friend, I am in deep shit and need your help, else I fear I will soon be swimming with the fishes! I need coin...a lot of it...fast! My mother has some old junk from my father's sailing days hidden in the house; might fetch enough coin to buy me some time. Problem is, she's called in some of her..."pets" to help her out. One of 'em is Spades...you know, the Catman? And that bastard, Echo...and a few others. My guess is she will ask them for help...may even give them some items to sell for her. Find them...detain them > you know best how to do that > and take whatever she gives them. I'll be bunking at Bella's > I owe you, big time, buddy! ~ Rusty

Aunt Marla just weeps quietly as Spades reads the letter.

Holen speaks up, "We must make haste to the library and have the scholar there decrypt and decipher. In the stead, I believe it wise to have deceptions in place. What I mean is that we each need to be seen toting a tome as to confuse the watchful eyes upon us. That way, the real tome is a degree safer."
She looks around at everyone for a few seconds, to the let her idea sink in, and then continues.
"Like a confusing display of 'I'll take the time!' 'No, I have it,' 'I told you it's my turn to carry it,' with everyone left making an excuse. That way, it is protected with our attackers having to figure out who has the real one."

Spades eyes lighten up. "That's a great idea! Let's do this!"

"We may even split up but we meet at the library of tomes, regardless with post haste. And see what or where the librarian scholar leads us."

Aunt Marla suddenly says, "I have some other old books! You can take those with you. In fact, I believe I have a book or too to return to the library. Ack! They are quite overdue, I'm afraid. Here."
And she begins to pass out books to all those who are going.
"Now...do be careful."

And with that...the group of five companions, where there once was nine, leaves Aunt Marla's home and follows Vin's directions to the Library.


Your group travels down one street and then another, past various business, crowded homesteads, and all manner of trades and shops.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2NFSbQL/city-street-2.jpg
Vin's masterful route keeps you somewhat out in the open and yet jets you down side streets, past dark alleys, while mingling in and out of the good folk of Yhuann. As darkness descends fully upon the port city, and the lamplighter's guild hurries along lighting the myriad of lamps along the streets, you find yourselves standing at the door of the town library.

A sharp rap on the door, followed by rustling feet, and you are looking upon a prim, auburn-haired woman in her mid to late thirties. She holds onto the door and you can tell by the look on her face...to see five such as you standing on the stoop...she is somewhat nervous, maybe even a little frightened.

https://i.postimg.cc/VLYC0nFG/samantha.jpg
"Good eve. The...um...library is about to close. How may I help you?"
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 15th of January, 2019, 02:39
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,886 (0.40 per day)
First Stop...Rewind

THEN. . .
’Old junk?’”Vin said.“I don’t hear anything about a book in that note.But when that serpentine road humper . . .” Vin went to spit and, out of courtesy for Marla’s floor, held it in.“When that thing tried to ‘bargain’ with us, he knew about the book. What changed? Though it is possible he just hesitated to say book in a letter and told Brass later if they met up, the wording of that note troubles me.” He did some figuring. “Marla, how long has it been since you saw Rustin. And did he know you were inviting us to dinner?”
Marla blinks a few times, thinking, and replies, "A couple of weeks, I guess. And, no, he didn't know I had invited you to dinner."
Vin took the copy of the book he was offered. He made sure to get one that had at least a passing resemblance to the genuine book. If it doesn’t resemble the book’s outer cover, he will with Marla’s permission use a covering of some type to further aid in the disguise. BUT VIN WILL STRONGLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE of the company from carrying the book in plain sight.
“The good news is that Rustin most likely didn’t search your place because he has been laying low at Bella’s.Has anyone else been in your quarters recently?Notice anyone in the room where you kept your husband’s things recently?Think on it and make a list for me if another name is remembered.” Vin will ask those staying behind to KEEP AN EYE OUT IF MARLA DOES NAME SOMEONE AND THAT PERSON RETURNS TO HER PLACE.
Marla shakes her head. "No one, really. My friend, Esme came to see me a few days ago. We get together quite regularly for tea and biscuits. But, I've known her for years; she is an old friend; I trust her."
Vin turned to go and spun back around in thought.“You don’t know where Bella can be found, do you?”He studied the woman. “Promise me you won’t go looking for her or Rustin until this matter is resolved. It could cost us dearly if you do.”He smiled slowly.“Everything is going to get better Marla.”
Marla nods and returns his smile. "I know it will, now that you all are helping me. I thank you so much!"
Outside, out of her hearing, Vin said to his companions, “For it could not get much worse. You know where I would like to visit later, I assume? Whether we go today or another day is up to you folks, but that stew needs tending.”

NOW. . .
Vindolen Rukford had done enough talking, he figured, as they stood outside the library.His eyes and ears were needed more, and he scanned the street, shadows, and rooftops to make sure he and his companions had a better position when the next attack came.You’re getting old Rukford,he thought to himself. Vin spends several moments before the door is opened to make sure they are in no danger. He sees no furtive movements in the shadows, nor any mysterious folk on the streets. The only thing he hears is the rain dripping from the eaves and running down the gutters.
"I said, how can I help you?" the librarian asks, this time more loudly, interrupting Vindolen's concentration. "We are near closing and I have things to do other than stand here and watch you guys gawk in the rain. Speak up or I'm shutting...and locking the door!"
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 27th of January, 2019, 01:55
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,886 (0.40 per day)
Vindolen looks at the others and waits for them to speak. “Well, go on then.”


If no one else speaks, Vindolen will add, “I have a book to ask you about. How might we find out the value of a tome such as this” He reaches into his pack and takes out his book (OOC: not the actual book, Marla wants us to try to sell.)

OOC: He does this to buy time. If the librarian seems to know her trade, he can mention the other text, or perhaps someone else will mention it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 27th of January, 2019, 01:55
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,886 (0.40 per day)
Spades leans on the door way and nods towards the book
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 15:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren