Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > S P A C E (Weird GURPS Sci-Fi)

Unread 30th of March, 2011, 13:21
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
Makoto

Even in July, the weather is never warm here. The sky is always cloudy, and there's a light salty breeze that's pretty much constant. It rains almost every day, though you wouldn't know city for being green because of it. There's lots of green space, just not in the city.

Chief Sealth International is a pretty decent school, at least. They had all the classes that you wanted, and you're even able to take the Advanced Placement courses that gramma said you'd need. They have a great band and a few clubs of interest. While they don't have an actual kickboxing team, they do have a Martial Arts club where students get together to spar and hear from local masters and dojos.

Speaking of masters, your dojo back in NYC recommended a local woman named Sunsoon Kim to take you on for your training. She agreed and enforces an... interesting training regimen.

The school is pretty large, but it's laid back and very community-based. There are a lot of different cultures here, similar to how things were back in New York, and you've fit in pretty well. Your friend Raina certainly loves you to pieces, and practically lives with you and your grandparents.

You grandparents, that is, your adoptive father's parents are Japanese immigrants who moved from Kyoto to Hawaii, and then from Hawaii to Seattle, where your father was born and raised. Your grandmother, Leiko, is a proud traditionalist, very strict and conservative. Your grandfather, Yukio is a quiet man who is friendly and funny, and often acts as a foil against your grandmother. They are very protective of you, and love you jealously. There is a definite NO BOYS rule, and are insistent about your academics.

So, let's hear some more about Makoto, as she loiters around the school a few minutes before the doors open, with her friend Raina, who is right now eating a nasty looking "pastry" she picked up from the convenience store. She's talking about how she couldn't find a pair of socks that went together, and so so just went mismatched.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 1st of April, 2011, 14:43
Shadowmane
Zombie

Member: #7564
She is 5’0 with a curved yet toned figure, distinct Asian features, has long black hair that hangs down to her butt which she wears up in pigtails, pale blue eyes and wears glasses wearing the basic school uniform.

Makoto-

I’ll shake my head looking at her slightly irritated, crossing my arms. “Raina you’re eating one of those again? Really what am I going to do with you? If you want a pastry so bad I’ll buy you a real pastry after school and then we can stop by the mall and buy you some new socks. You know all you have to do is ask.”

Unread 1st of April, 2011, 15:24
Chris Chandler

With her mouth full of industrial sweet Raina shakes her head and muffles out -

But I like 'em!

She pauses and then says -

Well, the socks anyway. This danish tastes like dog hair. So, today after trig do you want to check out? I know I don't have anything else after the test.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 2nd of April, 2011, 02:54
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-
Smirks. "That's what I figured. I can't see how you can even stand to eat those things and checking out sounds like a good idea. But you better not tell my grandmother we both know she'll probably throw a fit."
Unread 2nd of April, 2011, 11:56
Chris Chandler

Raina nods and laughs. She stands up and tosses her danish in the trash. She wipes her mouth, frowning, and then points over at the parking lot.

Yeah, let's go inside 'fore Winnie starts hassling us. C'mon.

You see Wenonah Haskins heading toward the school, dressed to the nines, nose to the sky. She is talking to someone on her phone, not looking where she is going.

You notice Parvati Manjarekar in Winnie's path. She'd dropped her books and is in the process of scrambling to pick them up. Winnie is totally going to crash into her.

Unread 2nd of April, 2011, 17:18
Shadowmane
Zombie

"Go back inside and wait for me, Raina. I'm not afraid of that snot nosed cow. She might think she runs this place but she's got another thing coming." I'll start heading towards Parvati, "Hey Winnie stop blabbing and watch where you're going!" When I reach Parvati I'll help her pick up her books.
Unread 4th of April, 2011, 12:25
Chris Chandler

Well, you do indeed keep the situation from escalating. Winnie takes a brief moment to glance down and (rather than walk around) steps through Parvati's mess with a snort of exasperation, and when you start helping Parvati you can overhear Winne mouthing off to whomever she's conversing.

You have a nice stack of notebook and paper, with Raina gathering up a few of the pages that blew away. Parvati dusts her hands on her skirt and smiles.

Thanks a mil Makoto. Totally was going to be late for the Debate meeting before class. Sit with you at lunch?

She picks up her books and brushes her hair from her face. Parvati is younger than you, but she's taller (having had a winter growth spurt) and is still a bit uneasy in her new frame.

Raina comes over with papers and hands them off to Parvati.

Unread 4th of April, 2011, 13:36
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

I'll give her a smile. "No problem at all Parvati but I think Raina and I might be having other plans today. If we are not at lunch today you can come have lunch with us tomorrow if you'd like."
Unread 7th of April, 2011, 12:00
Chris Chandler

Parvati narrows her eyes, but smiles and nods, then heads off.

So, the school is not terribly large, smaller than your old school, but it's got the classes that your grandparents insist that you take. Trigonometry isn't until 3rd period, and you'll likely do fine on the test. Raina might be worried, but only because she might miss one question, not that she won't pass.

Your day starts with American Lit, and you ease into a discussion of the Lost Generation, wherein Ms. Habersham goes into detail about Fitzgerald and the importance of the imagery in The Great Gatsby

So you see, the billboard really was God looking over the characters. Now, if you recall, Nick...

She talks the whole period. Ms. Habersham doesn't actually have much discussion from the class, so most folks doodle or stare, because she won't let anyone sleep. Raina takes notes.

In between classes, you watch as Miguel and Elliot make their way over to the two of you, against the flow of hall traffic. Elliot has some papers in his hands, and, as they approach, he hands each of you one. Flyers for a concert - Stone Soup. They are both in the band (Elliot drums, Miguel DJs). Miguel speaks -

Hola Makoto. We finally got a gig! I think it'll be really tight. You two have got to come, okay?

They both leave without a definite answer, though you will note two things -

a. They didn't give flyers to anyone else down this hall
b. They both took a "second look" at the two of you, when they thought you weren't looking. You know that Miguel is crazy for Raina. Elliot is a friendly, laid back guy, but he hasn't expressed any direct interest in you. Then again, you are pretty new.

Unread 7th of April, 2011, 12:37
Shadowmane
Zombie

I'll look the flyer over before looking at Raina. "I'm not to sure about this whole concert thing. I mean it might be fun but what do you think? Should we go? If you want to we can. Otherwise I think I can find something better to do. That and I'm not sure what gramma would say.She can be scary for an old lady you know."
Unread 8th of April, 2011, 12:06
Chris Chandler

What your Gramma doesn't know won't hurt her. We'll head over to my house and study for a bit, and then you can sleep over. We'll go to the concert 'round supper time. No big deal.

The second bell rings -

Oh, gotta get gone, Makoto! See you in Trig!

You are left standing in the middle of the hall, folks scrambling to get to class. It's Japanese for you. Luckily, the class is just across the hall.

Unread 8th of April, 2011, 12:53
Shadowmane
Zombie

I'll give a slight smile, waving her off before letting out a small sigh still a little unsure. "I guess it wouldn't really hurt anything." I'll head off to class.
Unread 12th of April, 2011, 12:52
Chris Chandler

Well, Japanese is no big deal. Your grandparents insist that you take the class, but they are bilingual at home. There are a few folks who complain because, since you are Japanese, obviously you know the language. Of course, when you ask them why they take English they stammer and curse.

You go into trig class relaxed and confident and have no problem with the test. At this point in your day it's time for lunch so you and Raina head to the office. Being upperclassmen and having good grades you aren't hassled about signing out.

Raina has a decent car. You have a bicycle, not because your grantparents are poor, but because they want you to learn discipline, and they believe that a bicycle helps with that. Luckily for you Raina's Jeep came with a rear bike rack. It is used constantly.

You head out and just drive for a bit. It's cool and breezy today, as the clouds are just now rolling in from the harbor. It'll rain soon, but you have a bit of sunlight left. Fall Out Boy is blaring from the Jeep's speakers, though the top is up, so you aren't broadcasting all over. Raina heads toward the harbor and over away from the heavy residential area, closer to the surf. She turns down the radio.

Have you ever been in love? I mean... like really in love? Like, you think you mean it love?

Unread 12th of April, 2011, 14:23
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

I'll look down frowning a little,slightly irritated and roll my eyes. "Well....not really. Besides I'm not exactly allowed. Studies first, college and then maybe boys if I'm lucky.Who knows gramma might already have someone lined up. But how do you know when you're in love? And you know you're going to have to spill right? Since you asked there has to be someone on your mind." I'll turn to look at her grinning.
Unread 13th of April, 2011, 11:29
Chris Chandler

Raina blushes hard and takes a sharp curve, tires squealing. She's quiet for a bit and then speaks up.

Well... You know Miguel, right? Well, he's been writing me poetry, passing it to me in Chem class, asking me about it, if I like it. He told me about the gig last week. He was just hoping that you'd come along to have some fun, too. He... I don't know. I'm quiet and stupid around him! I think that I look like a real spaz around him.

Unread 13th of April, 2011, 11:45
Shadowmane
Zombie

I'll smile. "Poems huh? How romantic. And I bet he doesn't think you're a spaz. I bet if anything he finds it cute. I guess going to this thing won't be too bad. Sounds fun. Gah you're lucky you know.But seriously if you two do get together and he ever hurts you, you know what will happen right? I'll kick his butt." I'll turn giving her a stern look.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 12:13
Chris Chandler

She laughs, but she knows that you are serious.

I know, Makoto. In a heartbeat.

She drives you around for a bit more, and then turns back on Holden and crosses 16th, and stops at Zippy's, a local burger joint, the kind of place that you order at the counter and then eat standing or in the car. Great big deliciousness.

She gives you a big smile and then asks in a sing-song-

Please? Burger and shake? You know how good they are...

((Okay, I know that I've been giving you posts that are a bit reactive, that is, something happens, and you tell me how you react, and that's fine. You can, however, feel free to inject your aims and motives at any time. That give and take is a lot of what's in a play-by-post game. And no worries, we'll go at your pace. ))

Unread 14th of April, 2011, 12:35
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

"Arright, arright since you decided to sing for your supper I suppose I can't say no."
I'll laugh softly, before ordering our food. "By the way what are you doing around 5? I'm wanting to go see Sensei sometime today if you don't mind running me by there that is."

(Okay sounds good to me. I'm going to try and incorporate her accent. lol)
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 13:40
Chris Chandler

Smiling, Raina nods -

Oh sure, the concert's not 'til 8 and we'll be bored of studying like... already. I'm already bored of studying. I know how Miss Kim gets. In fact, I'll take you by 'round 4:30. That way you can be early!

The food comes up - fresh and delicious, and the two of you quietly sit and eat lunch for a few minutes. The bustle of the joint is pretty sprawling. Men in business suits, day laborers, and students like yourself, they're positively swarming the place.

You catch something out of the corner of your eye. You see two young men walking toward the front door, which is no big deal normally, but one has his head down and focusing only on the door, muttering something under his breath. The guy walking behind him is looking all around, at each corner, behind him, everywhere, clearly counting (also under his breath, but you think he said, "Six... Seven... Ei... Nine". Both wearing hoodies (it's cool, but not hoodie weather), and the one in front is carrying a small brown paper sack at a very odd angle.

Unread 16th of April, 2011, 05:23
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

I'll smile. "Thanks Raina I really appreciate it." I'll keep my eyes on the two young men, being sure to stay alert.
Unread 19th of April, 2011, 12:55
Chris Chandler

Oh, they go inside and then the shouting commences. They mean to rob the place, and you can see the blue grey of a firearm in the man in back's hands. You can't hear what's being said, but you can see the reaction from the customers - fear, a little bit of anger, maybe a little too much bubbling panic. You know what a twitchy gun-finger can do in a stressful situation when someone panics and tries to run away.

Raina continues to talk and munch - you can tell that she hasn't noticed yet.

Unread 23rd of April, 2011, 04:58
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

I lean over whispering to Raina, "Call the police and maybe an ambulance just in case. The place is being robbed." I'll wait for them to come out before acting.
Unread 23rd of April, 2011, 10:36
Chris Chandler

It'll only take a few minutes and they slam the door outward as they start to dash around the corner. Raina gasps, but then follows your suggestion.

They are about 20 feet away.

Unread 25th of April, 2011, 08:17
Shadowmane
Zombie

Makoto-

I will chase them down and if I can catch up I am going to use my training to take down the guy with the gun first.
Unread 26th of April, 2011, 12:05
Chris Chandler

Okay, they are moving quickly, but they are just trying to get out of sight, they think they have a few minutes to leave. You can easily catch up and you will be able to attempt to disarm the gun wielder first. Since you are coming up from behind, you'll have the advantage. You can tell that neither of them see you. They are talking is a steady stream about where to head to lay low, oblivious.

How do you go about attempting to disarm the man?