Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 5th of March, 2009, 10:56
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Exalted: 1 Player Needed

Its been a long time since I have been here and I told myself I would never come back, BUT I have a good reason.

My best friend is going to Afghanistan along with one of his buddies from his unit who also lives in town. In order to meet his gaming needs I decided to put together an Exalted game to be played by post. Thats why I am here again after my self imposed exile from all online gaming (spending 8+ hours a day while working a job that pays 100% on commissions does not get the bills paid). My current understanding is that the two military players will be based in a base where they will have daily access.

That being said here is what I am looking for:
1 Player (as of right now all other 5 positions are filled) who knows 1st Edition and Power Combat rules, that can post at least once per day, can work with a perfect circle of Solar +1, but that doesn't mind the somewhat problimatic issues that might arrise from having 2 deployed military personel also playing. If you want to play and can work within the rules provided below then send me an IGM and we will discuss your character concept(s) and Caste.

Character Generation and Normal Game Rules Amendments
1st Edition Power Combat +

1)The rule of 12: No combination of wonders, talismans, or artifacts can increase a single die roll by more than 12 dice. WW published Level 5 or NA Artifacts that specify something different are exempt from this rule. Later in the game this will make things between the young Solars and the older adversaries more even in raw dice pools.

2)Charm Descriptions Supersede: This means that if a charm specifically says something then that is the way it is for that charm. Only lv3 and above artifacts can be exceptions and they must specify explicitly the exception.
Example #1: Essence Fangs and Scales Technique is incompatible with Weapons. Even though Snake Style can use 7-Section Staves or Hooked Swords with their Martial Arts Pool, this does not mean that they gain the benefit of those weapons if they wish to make an attack that would benefit from Essence Fangs and Scales Technique. They can still have the weapon(s) in their hand(s) and make a kick, knee thrust, elbow jab, etc and utilize the charms benefits.
Example #2: Snake Form specifically states that it is incompatible with armor. However, the lv3 artifact Silken Armor explicitly states that it does not count as armor and stacks. Thus a character that has Silken Armor, can gain from its benefits, and still have Snake Form up and running.

3)Players may customize artifacts up to lv3 in power for starting artifacts. Later on they can make whatever level their skills and materials can accomplish.

4)No custom Hearth Stones or Manses at character gen.

5)We will be creating a Perfect Circle of Solar plus one more character. Look for updates on what is taken (below).

6)We will be replacing Brawl with War as a Dawn Caste ability. If you do not have 2nd Edition for this ability I will explain it and give you a breakdown of the charm tree (which alters Presence and Performance a good deal although the Charms can be based off of either tree). Brawl for Solar was almost useless. Anything that calls for a Brawl roll will use MA instead.

7)We will be implementing the 2nd Edition rules for Excellencies (Die adder, success adder, reroll) and Masteries. All Ability Trees that have a Die Adder, Auto-Success Adder, or Re-rolling option that is Instant and Reflexive or Supplemental will be changed out for one of these Excellency Charms. All other Trees are unaffected having the Excellency and Mastery outside of the normal charm progressions for those Trees. No current Trees use any Mastery in them, although custom charms created in the game might.

8)Character Creation for Solar Exalted will use the Cult of the Illuminated Rules with the following requirements:
A)Integrity-Protecting Prana
B)Survival of 3 or more
C)An Ox-Body minimum
D)Combat Skill of 3 (For characters with Sorcery an Occult of 3)
E)Ride of 1 or more

All characters will be/have been recruited by a female in Crimson Armor, with Red Jade HS Bracers and paired Red Jade short swords to become a group who’s purpose is to tame the South East and rid it of the enemies of creation. A successful dif 3 Per+War or Int+MA will give away that the person was trained in the 7th Legion (ie Lookshy). Further information about this character will need to be roleplayed once the game starts.

I am expecting the game to get started the first week in April09.

***PS: If you have limited access to computers (such as only at School) do not request to be in this game.

Last edited by Thanos; 8th of March, 2009 at 11:48.
Unread 7th of March, 2009, 05:49
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

March-6th-1:48PST
Taken Already
Zenith: Mounted Warrior Priest
Eclipse: Mounted Archerer James Bond'sih
Dawn: Undecided as of yet.
Twilight: Open
Night: Merchant Prince

Last edited by Thanos; 12th of March, 2009 at 10:01.
Unread 12th of March, 2009, 09:59
TocRat05
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1105
I'm here!
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 06:59
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #663
Hi Thanos and welcome back after a long long hiatus, good to see you again. Thanks for the invite.,

Not too sure if I could keep to the posting minimums you require. I'm not wild about some of your listed house rules nor do I have any familiarity with the Cult creation rules.

If I was to create a character it would most likely be the Solar Twilight - but only if I could get a houserule on Craft. I prefer to work it like Linguistics. Each dot of Craft gives you another area you are proficient in - with the Exalted 2e general pupose areas.
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 07:12
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

RelentlessNight,

Thank you for your interest. The Cult of the Illuminated gives rules for making Solar's that are being 'guided' by certain factions in creation. In general they start with 2 more charms, an extra level of Essence, and a little alterations in background costs (ie essence costs 10 freebie to get to 4, but you get more dots of artifacts per background).

I would LOVE to have a Twilight. We play crafts differently as well. Basically a character can have crafts of whatever level they want to do mundane things, like create horse shoes, make a pot, build a normal table, etc. However, to get good at anything worth making, say a sword, you would have to have a specialty. That specialty could be metal or weapons. Making armor could be a specialty in armor, metal, leather working, etc. Obviously the leather working specialty is not going to let you make Super-Heavy Plate, but it also lets you make saddles, slings, or any other specialized leather products and also gives you the basic knowledge of how to skin animals (even if you don't have the survival to hunt them down) and anything that might be needed specifically to work leather. If you do not have the relevant specialty, but you have something close then the normal difficulty becomes a 3 instead of a 1. For things such as 'figuring out where a secret passage would be in a first age building' without having at least a specialty in architecture the difficulty goes up to 5. Obviously even those difficulties can be overcome with a simple Excellency Charm given a high enough base die pool, but extended projects will drain your reserves long before the project is done.
There are no limits to the number of specialties that you can have in crafts, but you can still only have a limit of 3 bonus dice when making a roll. Having Metal, Armor, and Orichualcum as specialties when making a suit if Magical Plate would give you a +3 bonus or you could just have Three specialties in Armor...

Posting one a day is a basic requirement though. I want there to be movement in the story. Obviously holidays and special occasions are exceptions...as are unavailability for military duty. For those circumstances where you can give me advanced notice, great. For those that you can't (not joking here: like being in a car wreck and being in the hospital for a week) we will understand...and NPC your character as necessary.

You are welcome to join the game late if you like, as I have a storyline involving there not being a PC Twilight ready for deployment. However, you still have 2 weeks or so before April, which will be the soonest we will start.

Last edited by Thanos; 18th of March, 2009 at 07:17.
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 21:21
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Hmm, the Twilight I have in mind would be an artificer which of course means Magitech and all that entails. Since you were running an Exalted 1e game (god I actually have to find my 1e books its' been so long XD) are Merits and Flaws allowed?

Most importantly, what themes are being in the game?

EDIT: You also mentioned a '+1' as well. Is the +1 open and what other type of Exalt is permitted?

Last edited by RelentlessNight; 18th of March, 2009 at 23:19.
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 08:37
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

1) +1 Slot: In actuality the only open spot is a Twilight, which is why I was delighted that that is what you wanted to play.

2) "All characters will be/have been recruited by a female in Crimson Armor, with Red Jade HS Bracers and paired Red Jade short swords to become a group who’s purpose is to tame the South East and rid it of the enemies of creation. A successful dif 3 Per+War or Int+MA will give away that the person was trained in the 7th Legion (ie Lookshy). Further information about this character will need to be role-played once the game starts."
-The group will have a very small beginning school for the CoI with 2 other exalted beyond the perfect circle of Solar and a few servants/cultists. Taking Illumination above a 2 will have no real purpose. Taking a Mentor above a 2 will also not be of real use. By the South East I mean everything below the forest and to the right of the Desert (including Mountains) on the big map.

3) I am allowing them, but not encouraging Merits or Flaws. However, for my sanity please have them balance out or be Merit heavy. That way I do not have to check all the math to make sure that nobody starts with anything they shouldn't be able to get under normal character creation.

4) No Abyssals are allowed as PC's. Most other Exalted are allowed including Half-Castes and God-Blooded with a good enough story line. Qwerty123 has already put together a good storyline for his character that intigrates well with the overall storyline.
-TocRat05 all but read my mind for his character concept and wanted to be a leader type of Zenith, Melee/combat heavy with Inspiration stuff. Hamner is our Dawn (scant details) and is Melee/Combat Heavy with training charms. Tiernan is our Eclipse from the South, deals in Firedust with a good trading network and a few followers: Archery based, Dodge. Dean is making a Merchant Prince/Con-man type of Night Caste: Unknown combat abilities.

5) I would LOVE an artificer in the game. Specialty in the various areas of Magitech are fine. You will find that it is MUCH easier to have the specialties that you need to do exactly what you want in my games than in any other version that you may have played.

6) You also have the option to put 1 background dot into Group Manse and start off with a lv1 HS (I will decide based on what Essence Style the group wants) from a higher level manse, which in this game will afford you Ess Regen rates based on the manse size and not the HS size.
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 17:35
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

I have had no joy in locating my 1e stuff but I am certain I brought it with me when I moved cities. However I know for a fact that I never picked up the CoI related book so you will have to walk me through the differences in chargen for that.

Will you allow a Sifu/Sensei background or a similar style Mentor (rating 3?) as I have in mind someone with a more ascetic style of existence who's thoughts and deeds attempt to be in synchronous. IE He knows an T or C MA style and applies' its' philosphy to his practice of craft and artificing.
Unread 20th of March, 2009, 08:54
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Interesting.

Your 'education' will be taken care of if you truly want the Martial Arts to be your main drive. However, if you want Crafts to be your main area of expertise then that can be taken care of as well.

Mentor of 2 is going to be the maximum available. The NPC running the school is only a God-Blooded (old though he may be) and will have a limited scope of powers/knowledge compared to even a starting Solar character. However, the storyline I already have will make any Twilight happy. I will see if I can add a summery of CoI chargen in a while. It will be in the game thread.
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 04:17
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Extra information is in the OOC thread in our Game.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 05:00
Sharky
Small Zombie

Member: #8109
Hi

First off I'd like to say I am new here.
Ive been searching desperately for a online exalted game and just using google its quite hard.
Since Im situated in Europe I dont know what times you play and wether or not I would be compatible or not for your group.
Since the last post was a month ago Ive assumed that your group is full and started.
Ive been dying to play and am pretty new to exalted allthough Ive read quite a few books and am somewhat familiar with the combat system.

Again Im pretty desperate for some game time cause there are no geeks like me around here apparently hehe.
I have a couple of characters, but most of all id like to play a twilight but have a night and a zenith character ready to go too.

Twilight: Former human cattle in a demon worshipping cult, used as sustainable sacrificial aid and as a human telephone pole for demonic messages, this quirky einstein with a bad hairday looking solar is looking to worship the wonders of the outside world.
Fiercely determined to delve into mechanical and organic life, also a strong love for things that go boom cause he missed out on life let alone childhood, nothing more fun than pushing buttons and watch things go boom.

Zenith:MEdicine man with a mission (missionary shaman) extreme martial arts melee hybrid, out to bring people independence and wisdom.
Educating in whatever life asks of people, usually medicine, lore, occult crafting to support these, survival the basics of human independence.

Night: How do you mean no style?? Call me butch then. No knives (well maybe big ones) and no poisons.
Axes and steel nosed boots theres nothing more stealthy then an iron boot where your testicles used to be and an axe where your head once was.
What do you mean wearing only leather makes me look fishy?? What are you the fashion gestapo?

Okay, thats my 2 cents ill copy paste whore this into the forums at the first page too, the lfg part ofc.
Hope theres anyone out there running daytime groups in the weekends

Ohh edited this to make it a little more personal, I have read your posts and it all sounds good to me, Im very flexible and I mean that strictly in an imaginative sense, and not that imagination but my imagination.
Actually would like to play a cult of the illuminati group cause that always seemed al little hard for myself the few times I took on the role of storytelling.

Last edited by Sharky; 29th of April, 2010 at 05:11.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 05:16
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Originally Posted by Sharky Since the last post was a month ago
The last post in this thread was actually over a year ago. You are probably better off going to the actual game forum and posting your interest in the visitor thread.

Oh, and welcome to the boards .
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 05:34
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Based on your concerns about what time the game plays, it sounds like you're looking for a chat-based game, which, being a play-by-post site, we don't do. If you're not sure how PbP works, this thread provides a decent introduction.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 05:50
Sharky
Small Zombie

Ohh my I just created a thread well I guess Im showering in flames this evening.
Thanks a lot, ill look things up.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 06:09
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
Actually, I believe this particular game has been inactive for some time now. However, there is a new exalted game we just started, and we in theory have room for one more if we want a perfect circle, an eclipse caste. Someone else was interested at one point though, so I'm not sure if the spot is taken. At any rate, I would suggest popping over to the OOC thread here.
Oh, and before you do, you should definitely read that link LeadPal provided.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 06:46
Sharky
Small Zombie

Ohh I see, Im definately in IF there is room.
Wonderfull, Ive looked into a few games being played and I liked it a lot.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 10:24
arock1214
Tiny Skeleton

Member: #8106
You still looking???
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 16:48
Sharky
Small Zombie

Yes and no, Ive been accepted to the group I just need to work out what times and days people play.
But if you have a game up id like to know in case things dont work out because of time issues.
Funny enough ill be in the states for 3 months almost in a month from now, family visit.