Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 19th of April, 2006, 00:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
Chapter 4 Scene 5 Into the Tower of Mikon

Needing less rest than the others, Kierna ends up taking the bulk of the night's watch. It is Fugen, however, that morning finds standing atop the walls gazing out into the growing light.

Coming down from the wall as the others rouse themselves, Fugen checks on the prisoners, making sure their bonds are tight and to see if those who had not been cared for had survived the night. He also checks on the hobgoblin corpral to see how his wounds are healing.

Pacing about impatiently, Kierna barely ackowledges the prisoners as Fugen tends them. Capturing them was not her first choice, but now that they had them, she was unsure of how to proceed. The information they could provide certianly had the potential to be useful, but what did they do with them afterwards?

"Let's get this exploration started. I don't want to be around when the wizards Aikou was planning on sending here show up."

Nodding his agreement, Fugen retrieves his lantern and, when the other are ready, re-opens the tower door. Going inside, he concentrates on looking for a way up, to explore the burned out upper reaches of the tower first.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #2  
Unread 19th of April, 2006, 08:21
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
After a good nights rest, Termix is ready to go into the bowels of his former master's tower. He commits as much help as he can to the party, showing the way around if not readily apparent.

OOC: Prepare my non-evocation flaming sphere as a resist energy instead. Cast it for fire protection right before entering the tower.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #3  
Unread 19th of April, 2006, 12:00
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Scene 5 Into the Tower of Mikon

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5 Into the Tower of Mikon

Across the piles of debris in the main hall there is a stairway that leads upward, counterclockwise. From the entrance, they can see by lanterlght that the stairs open onto the remains of the second floor. The middle of the floor has collapsed, but it remains intact around the edges. Another staircase directs above it leads from the remains of the second floor to the remains of the third. Above it, stairs lead up to the intact fourth floor.



OOC
Marching order?


  #4  
Unread 20th of April, 2006, 19:36
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:1 Stairs to Level 2

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:1 Stairs to Level 2

Laboriously, the group wades through and climbs over the pile of rubble and ash in the middle of the room and makes it to the staircase. By lamplight they climb up to the second floor.

With the entire middle of the floor collapsed, all that remains is a ribbon of floor around the outside.

As they survey this level with the lamp, they see that across the tower a wall bisects the "balcony" that remains, and further along there is a gap five feet wide where the the floor has given way completely.



OOC
The party is at the top of the stairs = E135/N165
The staircase from level 2 to level 3 is directly above the stairs they just climbed. It starts at E160/N145

Going around the wall: Climb DC 15. Jumping the gap: Jump DC 5.
  #5  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 00:41
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
Making his way along the "balcony" of floor that remains, Fugen is carefull to shift his weight to his forward foot slowly with each step so that he can pull back should the fire damaged floor start to give way. He also tries to stay as close the the outer wall as possible, where he assumes the structure will be the soundest.

When he reaches the wall the block's further progress, he carefully examines it. He didn't relish the thought of trying to climb around it, but maybe there was a way to make a hole in it large enough to pass through without comprimising what ever structural value it had left.

***

Down below, Kierna orders her badger to guard the outer door of the tower and moves into the building a little further so that she can keep track of the party's progress above.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #6  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 04:18
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.82 per day)
Linus steps lightly, even for a halfling, as he makes his way around the fire-damaged floor. Not being much of a climber, he was worried about stepping around the wall, but with a quick glance down, he realized the fall probably wouldn't hurt as much as his injured pride if he did slip.

(If Linus is first, he'll climb around first. If he's second, he'll wait to see what happens to Fugen and where the bigger guy steps so that he can attempt to mimic, hoping decreasing his chances of falling.)
  #7  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 08:27
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
Termix voices that he knows of nothing but the possibilty of magic on the fourth floor. He then follows after his compatriates, trying his best not to fall.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #8  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 10:51
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj follows, a distinctly nervous look on his face. He atempts to tread lightly, but knows, with his bulk, it will only make so much of a difference. He makes sure to stay close to the wall, and atempts to study what little is left of the balcony to see for any weak or strong spots, staying away from the weak, and sticking to the strong if he does see it.

((Knowledge (Architecture) check please, it's untrained and all but unless it's a crit failure it cant hurt...))
  #9  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 13:55
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:2 The Fall of Termix

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:2 The Fall of Termix

Fugen searches the barrier for an alternate way to get past it, but the wall is solid. It would take a lot of work with picks to get through the thick stone.

With no alternative, Fugen leads the way around the wall, grasping hold and pulling himself over.

Linus follows, but has trouble finding handholds. He gets part of the way around but turns back. On the third try he makes it across.

Termix attempts it next. He leans out and grabs hold, but as soon as he takes his feet off of the floor behind him, he starts to slip and then looses his grip, falling twenty feet to the main hall below.

He lands on a pile of sharp rubble below. A plume of ash spews into the air. The evoker is hurt, but not too badly. The fall is noisy. A few moments later there is an answering animal cry from somewhere below the main hall.



OOC
Since Termix said “no traps” I am going with BP’s no traps marching order:
Fugen, Linus, Termix, Gizerak, Flarrgj

4,5:2 (1d20=16, 1d20=14, 1d20=7, 1d20=10, 1d20=12, 1d20=6, 1d20=12, 1d20=9, 1d20=4, 1d20=16, 1d20=2, 1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=14, 1d20=7, 1d20=15, 1d20=15, 1d20=7, 1d20=7, 1d20=1)

Fugen’s search skill: 16+mods.
Climbing around the wall:
Climb rolls: Fugen 14+mods, made it. Linus 7+mods. Didn’t make it, but didn’t fall. Second try: 10: same thing. Third try: 12+mods. Made it. Termix 6+mods. Doesn’t make it by 5+.
Listen roll for someone or something somewhere: 12+mods inc distance.

5 pts of falling damage to Termix. Termix is now located in the main hall on level 1 with Kierna.

Y’all might consider assisting. I would allow one assistant on each side of the wall.

Sorry, Exarzun. Knowledge is a trained only skill.
  #10  
Unread 21st of April, 2006, 23:12
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
"You all right?" Kierna asks as she moves over to Termix and help him up. Looking back up at where the others are, she then adds, "Rope. Take some rope back up with you. If you tie it around your waist then you won't fall all the way to the floor should you slip again."

Heading outside, Kierna heads to the mounts to grab some rope, checking on the prisoners as she passes them. Once back inside the tower, she hands the rope to Termix.

***

Leaning as far over the edge as he dares, Fugen looks down at where Termix fell. Hopefully he's alright.

When he sees Termix get up and brush himself off, Fugen breathes a sigh of relief. Hearing Kierna's suggestion, Fugen agrees and signs to Linus to tell Gizerak and Flarrgj to wait for the rope.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #11  
Unread 22nd of April, 2006, 02:22
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.82 per day)
Linus nods to Fugen's suggestion and suggests that Flarrgj and Fugen assist Termix and Gizerak when their turn comes, leaving Flarrgj for last. Hopefully no one else would fall and get hurt if they took turns and helped each other.
  #12  
Unread 22nd of April, 2006, 02:35
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
Fugen nods in agreement, feeling kind of foolish that no one had thought of it before.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #13  
Unread 22nd of April, 2006, 06:04
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
Termix gets up and dusts himself off. He's hurt, but nothing more than his ego, really. He smacks himself in the head when Kierna suggests rope, thinking of how stupid they all had been. He then goes up and hands the rope to the others.

OOC: How long does it take Kierna to get the rope? Also, how long is it from my fall until we hear the animal noise? Does Termix recognize the noise as anything specific? He has encountered most if not all the animals in here, after all.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #14  
Unread 23rd of April, 2006, 00:31
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:3 The Fall of Flarrgj

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:3 The Fall of Flarrgj

Assisted by Flarrgj and Fugen on either side of the rope, Termix and Gizerak get across safely. Flarrgj is the last. He makes three attempts to get around the wall. He turns back on the first two. Each one seems more difficult than the last. Fugen’s efforts to help are in vain. On the third attempt he falls, landing in the same spot as Termix, sending another cloud of ash into the air. This commotion does not seem to cause an animal cry from below as it did last time.

Reflecting on the animal cry earlier, Termix is sure that it could not have been the deep “ribbit” of the fire toads. It must have been the squawk of the phoera, unless there is something else down there…

The next obstacle is the five foot gap. With a running start, each of the henchmen attempts to leap it. Fugen barely makes it, which seems to be a poor omen, but the other henchmen are able to jump across without incident.

The five henchmen continue upwards. The next level was a classroom, and the back row of chairs still stands adjacent to the staircase. The heroes do not have any obstacles between them and the next flight of stairs to the top level. This landing is not nearly as fire damaged as the areas below. The destruction of the supporting columns caused the floor to give way, but the fire itself does not seem to have spread this high. The ceiling is blackened, and there is some ash, but the furniture is not destroyed beyond the melting of the lacquer.



OOC
4,5:3 (1d20=20, 1d20=6, 1d20=5, 1d20=19, 1d20=13, 1d20=6, 1d20=7, 1d20=4, 1d20=6, 1d20=1, 1d20=5, 1d20=4, 1d20=8, 1d20=19, 1d20=1, 1d20=3, 1d20=17, 1d20=14, 1d20=7, 1d20=15)
Termix climb roll natural 20, Flarrgj assist 5, Fugen assist 19. Termix succeeds.
Gizerak climb roll 13+mods. Flarrgj assist 6+mods. Fugen assist 7+mods. Gizerak succeeds.
Flarrgj: 7+mods with Fugen failing to assist with a 4+mods. Rolls high enough to avoid falling.
Second attempt: 6+mods with Fugen failing to assist on a 1+mods. Rolls high enough to avoid falling.
Third attempt: 5+mods with Fugen failing to assist on a 4+mods. Falls. Fugen use rope skill roll to reduce fall damage 8+mods. Fails. Flarrgj takes 2d6 falling damage: 4 pts.
Next attempt: 19+mods with Fugen failing to assist with a 1. Flarrgj makes it across.
Listen skill check 3.
Jumping rolls (raw) FUgen 3, Linus 17, Termix 14, Gizerak 7, Flarrgj 15.
  #15  
Unread 23rd of April, 2006, 02:52
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj pant slightly from the activity, rubbing at a soar back from the fall, but still for the most part fit and ready. He stares around the classroom, not quite recognising it's full function, but partialy understanding.
  #16  
Unread 23rd of April, 2006, 06:04
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
"This is the classroom where Master Mikon taught me. I remember it so vividly...." Termix trails off, absorbed in his memories. He quickly shakes himself out of it, and continues on with the others, the memory of his mentor still in his mind.

As they start up the stairs Termix speaks of the level above. "We need to be careful up. It was Mikon's level, and I was hardly ever allowed admittance. He surely has some kind of protections up there, but what....I don't know."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #17  
Unread 24th of April, 2006, 21:38
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
As they climb through the burnt tower, Gizerak takes a moment in the class room to look for anything that could aid them in finding out what occurred here. As soon as the others are ready though, the halfling cleric lets his search end and follows them again.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #18  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 00:50
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
With the floor seemingly more stable on this floor than it was on the first, Fugen joins Gizerak in searching the classroom before heading upstairs. Given Termix's warning about possible wards, Fugen let's Linus take the lead, as he has no experience with such things.

***

Down below, Kierna does her best to monitor the others as they head up higher. As they make ready to head up to the highest floor, where she'll lose sight of them permenantly, she calls up, "I'm going to go outside and check the trail. If that goblin that escaped made it all the way back to his army, I don't want them catching us unawares." She then heads outside and climbs the wall over looking the trail, scrutinizing everything that she can see.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #19  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 02:12
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.82 per day)
Linus helps searching the classroom with the others, and then takes the lead, keeping a sharp eye out for any traps or wards the old wizard may have placed to keep intruders out of his personal spaces.
  #20  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 09:07
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:4 Magical Runes

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:4 Magical Runes

Their search of the remaining classroom does not yield anything noteworthy. With a disturbing cackle, Linus leads the way upstairs.

At the top of the stairs is a closed strong wooden door. The door has magical runes inscribed on it, and more runes decorate the archway above it. Termix has passed through this doorway many times to enter the library, but only when the door was opened by Mikon.

Other than the obvious, Linus does not detect anything suspicious about the door at first glance.



OOC
4,5:4 (1d20=1, 1d20=8, 1d20=12, 1d20=5, 1d20=16, 1d20=8, 1d20=12, 1d20=10, 1d20=5, 1d20=1, 1d20=17, 1d20=15, 1d20=7, 1d20=16, 1d20=13, 1d20=14, 1d20=1, 1d20=2, 1d20=1, 1d20=18)

Search skill rolls in classroom: Gizerak 1+mods, Fugen 8+mods, Linus 12+mods. Linus search check on door: 5+mods.

Regarding Fugen's last jump: I got Fugen's skill rolls mixed up with another character's, then fixed it but forgot to revise the flavortext. Well, it was subpar by his own standards, even if it wasn't close.

Good news! It looks like Treehouse is going to take over playing Kierna.
  #21  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 09:28
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.21 per day)
Not sure of what to make of the magical runes, other than recalling some horror stories that he'd been told as a kid, Fugen encourages Linus to take his time to check them over carefully, especially after what happened with Termix at the front door.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #22  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 10:36
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
Termix tries to recognize the runes on the door. He did know of some magic, after all. After relaying what he knows or doesn't, Termix returns to the middle of the party.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #23  
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 21:19
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.82 per day)
Linus carefully searches the door, taking as long as necessary to determine if there is in fact a trap on this door. The runes in themselves give him serious pause.

OOC - Take 20 on the search
  #24  
Unread 26th of April, 2006, 07:45
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj begins to lean on a wall as the others seach the safety fo the door, but then rethinks this action when he remembers the instability of the building, so he stands slightly akwardly, however looking relaxed if alert.
  #25  
Unread 27th of April, 2006, 13:15
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:5 Sign and Symbol

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:5 Sign and Symbol

Termix uses a magic charm to decipher the runes. Normally it would be an easy task for him to identify the spells represented, but he has found everything more difficult since he opened the door into the tower yesterday. A supernatural doom haunts his every attempt to succeed. He feels this is responsible for his earlier fall. Now he must struggle to make sense of the runes. He is only barely able to make the first one out. It is a “sign of sealing”: a magical sigil that bars entry and prevents opening. The sigil will inflict harm on anyone who forces the door open. Termix is also able to recognize another spell cast on the door. It is a “Symbol of Pain.” This spell will inflict great agony of anyone nearby when it is triggered. A skilled mechanic could negotiate a way through the door without triggering these two spells, but it would be extremely difficult



OOC
4,5:5 (1d20=11, 1d20=18, 1d20=19, 1d20=2, 1d20=16, 1d20=14, 1d20=1, 1d20=10, 1d20=8, 1d20=9, 1d20=6, 1d20=18, 1d20=15, 1d20=15, 1d20=5, 1d20=20, 1d20=16, 1d20=4, 1d20=10, 1d20=20)
Termix read magic spellcraft rolls 11 & 18 +mods-curse.
DC28 to disarm the sign of sealing. DC30 to disarm the symbol of pain.
Linus take 20 on search skill does not detect the spells.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren