Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Erendiox's Games > Masters of Day and Night > Creations

Unread 29th of August, 2007, 22:22
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Member: #672
Rumination

This thread is going to be exclusively for the discussion of custom made artifacts, charms, charm trees, and the like. Any ideas you have for powers, martial art styles, or weapons, etc, that you want to see in the game, post it here.
Unread 29th of August, 2007, 22:42
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Hey guys, I found some time at school and I've been thinking about Sparda's artifact. Instead of squawking about it over aim, lets try to put our ideas out in an orderly fashion and discuss. I'm going to do balance work based on the level 5 hearthstone that Dave found in the Codex. What we need is a simple and sensible way of making the Withering Sting Bracer's sleep effect useful and effective, but still less powerful than the sleep effect generated by the hearthstone. Firstly, i'll write down how the hearthstone works. I don't have the exact text with me at the moment, so this is in my own words from memory. Dave, if you have the text and feel like providing exact words, feel free to do so. Otherwise i'll follow up with the exact text when I get the chanse.

Basically how the hearthstone works is the attacker rolls his Manipulation + Socialize. This is rolled at a difficulty equal to the defender's essence. If the attacker succeeds, then the defender rolls his willpower against a difficulty equal to the "NUMBER OF SUCCESSES ON THE PREVIOUS ROLL". I write this in caps, because it's a little unclear how this works exactly. The question is whether the difficulty applied to the Manipulation+Socialize roll negates the successes of that roll for the purposes of the Willpower roll. Regardless, if the attacker is successful then the victim falls asleep for some amount of time, I think it was 30 minutes or something.

Basically, in my opinion, this looks very similar to a disarm attempt, which works similarly. Basically the defender recieves an additional Wits+(relevant combat ability) to resist the remaining successses after his DV is applied. I see this hearthstone as working similarly, with your essence being your DV and your willpower the second saving throw. The wording seems like it could go either way, so I may be wrong. The hearthstone is level 5, and that may explain why it's tilted in a way to favor the attacker.

As far as the wording, if I were to ask you how many successes you got on a difficulty 3 roll, and you rolled 3 successes, would you tell me 3 or would you tell me 1? I think you'd tell me 1, because of the difficulty, which when applied to the wording of the hearthstone means that the difficulty applied to the maipulation roll reduces the number of successes before the willpower roll is applied.

Either way, what needs to be done is we need to figure out, or decide, exactly how the hearthstone works. We can then use the hearthstone to balance the other artifact. I want everyone's thoughts, especially Red's, on your interpreitation of the hearthstone's wording.
Unread 30th of August, 2007, 00:26
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #2775
For the Hearthstone's sleep duration:
5 minutes on a Failure on the WP roll
6 hours on a botch

Originally Posted by Erendiox As far as the wording, if I were to ask you how many successes you got on a difficulty 3 roll, and you rolled 3 successes, would you tell me 3 or would you tell me 1? I think you'd tell me 1
You mean 4 successes?

For everyone else, my interpretation goes with how its said exactly in the text.

Here's a direct copypasta from Oed's:

Originally Posted by Oedanol's Codex, pg. 98 GEM OF SLEEP (MANSE •••••)
This translucent, cobalt-blue sphere allows the
bearer to force other creatures to fall asleep. The bearer
must catch the target’s eye, which requires a successful
(Manipulation + Socialize) roll at a difficulty of the
target’s Essence. Then, the target must resist by her
player making a Willpower roll at a difficulty equal to
the number of successes on the previous roll. If the
target fails this roll, she instantly falls deeply asleep and
remains asleep for five minutes. If the target botches,
she falls asleep for six hours. Success means that the
target feels briefly tired but remains awake. Targets who
fall asleep may be woken normally in any fashion that
would awaken someone from a deep sleep, but awaken
no more swiftly than normal. If used in combat, this
stone requires five ticks to use and imposes a -2 penalty
to the bearer’s DV.
erendiox (12:14:36 AM): utter chaos is what feeds my insatiable hunger
Unread 30th of August, 2007, 03:44
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by fhgwdads05 # You mean 4 successes?
No Dave, I mean 3. When you attempt a difficulty 1 action, you only need to roll one success to succeed. Likewise, when you attempt a difficulty 3 action, you need 3 to succeed. Whether you roll one success with difficulty one, or three successes with difficulty three, you're considered to have garnished a single success toward the action.
Unread 3rd of September, 2007, 11:43
Sparda219
Ghoul

Member: #389
As a couple of more bits for the balancing act on my sleeping poison, I was thinking that perhaps it's not useful during combat as adrenaline washes the poison out of the system too fast?

Also, perhaps the Toxicity of the poison drops to 1 after someone has already been under it's sleeping effects? So it's much harder to use it a second time.
Unread 3rd of October, 2007, 23:14
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

The sting bracer still needs to be worked out, thought I have something off topic to address. Specifically, the "cover" action that we worked out. I had a thought about it. Specifically, when used during a simultaneous action, I think it would be cool if the cover applied immediately, so any simultaneous attacks against a defendee are redirected to the defender. I don't know if this destroys the whole "simultaneous" dynamic, but it's the "jump in front of your friend to save his life" image that I get when I think of this.

Another topic might be whether people like the way actions are strictly simultaneous when they're done on the same tick. We could easily divide each tick into separate action resolutions, so that the faster people can interrupt the slower ones on the same tick. So far, at least in my other game, all I seem to have gotten are complaints about it. Since actions are simultaneous, their action can't directly stop another person's action; both actions happen, no matter what.

Again, i'm just musing.
Unread 20th of October, 2007, 04:13
Xaden
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1668
Well, I've thought of two other types of moves and I figured that this was the best place to post them for ideas, feedbacks and "OMG! That's a horrible idea! What were you thinking!?"s. If this isn't the right place for them, I'll put them elsewhere later I guess, so here goes.

Lock Weapons: With a loud clang, the two warriors lock blades and push each other around jockying for better positions and trying to knock the other down (it's also good for putting a delay in battle to try and talk to your opponent).
Method: You must either Aim or Guard until your opponent attacks, you then make opposed Dexterity + Melee rolls (you add your weapon's defense value to this roll and any extra dice from the Aim action that you took) and forfeit your DVs against this opponent's one attack. If your opponent wins, it's just as if your roll was your DV for that attack and your opponent now deals damage as normal, if you tie or you beat your opponent you both then make opposed Strength + Melee rolls. Whoever wins can take one of several options:
  • You can end the Weapon Lock and even chose to force your opponent to immediately check for Knockdown (as you shove your opponent away, possibly pushing him down).
  • For each success that you beat your opponent by you can either force that person back 1 yard, or move 90 degrees around that opponent (to force them to move in some other direction). If you force your opponent to move into a space occupied by another low object (such as a chair or table) they must immediately check for Knockdown with a -1 External Penalty.
  • If your opponent is backed up against a wall or prone then you can chose to do the weapon's base damage against this opponent (if the weapon deals lethal damage). This must still overcome soak, both natural and armor.
Each time, on the tick of the one who initiated the Weapon Lock, the Strength + Melee roll is repeated and the Weapon Lock continues until one of those involved breaks it or dies.

Throw Your Opponent: You wait for the moment that your opponent strikes then move into position to use her momentum against her and throw her to the ground.
Method: You must Aim or Guard until your opponent attacks. You then oppose her attack roll with a Dexterity + Martial Arts roll (you add your weapon's defense value to this roll and any extra dice from the Aim action that you took) and forfeit your DVs against this opponent's one attack. If your opponent wins, it's just as if your roll was your DV for that attack and your opponent now deals damage as normal, if you tie, nothing happens (you and your opponent remain unharmed), if you win you can then make an immediate [Dexterity or Strength] + Martial Arts roll opposed by a knockdown check by your opponent. Regardless of this second roll's result you can now chose to move your opponent to any space adjacent to you, but if your opponent fails in this second check she also ends up prone in whichever space you chose for her to end up in.

So yeah, those are my ideas for new moves, feedback is appreciated.
Unread 8th of December, 2007, 06:46
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Ganked out of Oadenol's Codex, page 39:

ULTIMATELY USEFUL TUBE (Artifact 3)

The ultimately useful tube is a foot-long bamboo tube. The lip of one end is faintly blue; the other lip is faintly red. It looks innocuous and requires five motes commitment.

An attuned character has a wide variety of options. He can twist the tube to reveal fingerholes and an embouchure to play it as a flute. Twisted back, no observer can find the holes. If used as a snorkel, the ultimately useful tube keeps out waves and water spray and maintains an ideal length up to two yards while the character changes depth. Used as a breathing tube in open air, the tube weakens airborne toxins, reducing their Damage ratings by half and their Toxicities by two. Twisting the tube the other way thins it to a half inch diameter, allowing the character to use it as a straw and likewise weaken toxins imbibed through it.

The character can fight with the ultimately useful tube as a stick. By pulling on the ends, he can lengthen it to one yard in length and use it as a blowgun. The tube creates its own darts, costing one mote each. Blowing a dart out the blue end coats it with a sleeping poison; the red end creates a fatal poison. Darts are made of Essence and fade away at the end of the scene. Finally, the character can lengthen the tube to two yards in length, making it a fighting staff. Even to Essence sight, the ultimately useful tube always looks like a mundane implement, though the blowgun darts shine with Essence.

The first stat line describes the stick form, the second a staff, the third a blowgun. The sleeping poison is Damage special; Toxicity 3M; Tolerance —/—; Penalty -0; a target failing to resist falls asleep for 10 minutes or one hour, the character’s choice on creation of the poison. The lethal poison is arrow frog venom (see Exalted, p. 131).

Appropriately, the ultimately useful tube is very useful. No power is very great, but it has a myriad of uses. Its stick, staff and blowgun traits are improved over the norm, but not by much. The poisons are effective but not mind-blowing. It could be a high-end Artifact 2, but the sheer range of its capabilities and its concealable nature make it a fair Artifact 3.

Stick
Speed: 4
Accuracy: +1
Damage: +4B
Defense: +2
Rate: 3
Range: —
Mins: Str ••, Mrt •
Attune: 5
Tags: M

Staff
Speed: 6
Accuracy: +3
Damage: +8B
Defense: +2
Rate: 2
Range: —
Mins: Str ••
Tags: 2, R

Blowgun
Speed: 5
Accuracy: +2
Damage: 1L
Defense: —
Rate: 2
Range: 30
Mins: —
Tags: P

EDIT: Gah, can't get the table to work. But I added colors!

EDIT2: Screw the table. Columns ftw.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 8th of December, 2007 at 06:55.
Unread 20th of December, 2007, 06:06
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

A thought popped into my head that I wanted to share. Regarding the fight between Shaedra and Tiden, I was thinking it would be pretty cool if they could spar without knocking the crap out of each other, damage wise. I know there's a pulling blows option for attacks that allows lethal damage to be converted to bashing in exchange for +1 difficulty. Still, they can very easily do a LOT of bashing damage to each other. This is because the pulling blows option is more to reflect when you want to knock someone out rather than kill them. There's certainly room for a rule that reflects sparring without the intent of hurting each other too much.

We should make an option to do only the minimum damage of the weapon when you hit, for the same +1 difficulty. Shaedra and Tiden would do a single die of bashing damage with this option, no matter how much their full damage would have been. If they were using lethal weapons, they would do 1 die of lethal. Weapons with the overwhelming tag would still retain their minimum damage, so a chopping sword would do 2L minimum, for instance. This makes sparring with goremauls a bad idea, as it should be . Furthermore, I think i'd also limit using only one of these two options, either sparring or pulling blows, at a time. So a person with a chopping sword couldn't do minimum damage bashing at difficulty 3. He could do full damage bashing or minimum damage lethal at difficulty 2.

Give me your thoughts.
Unread 20th of December, 2007, 10:04
Lyn Nalyr
Ghoul

Member: #665
Lol, sounds good to me.

I also agree... sparring with Goremauls is a very bad idea. Especially Grand Goremauls (Min. Dam of 5)

Unread 5th of May, 2008, 08:20
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Here's a little preview of what i've been working on. They'll be finished soon. I find them rather useful.

(Updated)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Masters Statsheet 1.pdf (30.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Masters Statsheet 2.pdf (29.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Erendiox; 5th of May, 2008 at 09:49.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 04:56
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Solar Charm

Iron Stomach Prana
Cost: 3m per day; Mins: Resistance 4, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisites: Tireless Sentinel Techinque

As true Princes of Earth, Solar Exalted must go through extreme hardship at times, lack of food and water not withstanding. With the use of this Charm, the Lawgiver can sustain herself on Essence alone. However, such a meager diet does not come without disadvantages. With an empty stomach comes hunger, and with lack of water comes thirst. The Solar will still suffer from these conditions, however such are felt only as mild discomfort rather than debilitating pain. While sustaining herself through use of this Charm, the total penalty for starvation and/or thirst will never total more than -1.

Note: Corpse Needs No Food (
Manual of Exalted Power: Abyssals, Page 148) now mirrors this Charm.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 13:10
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
Quick question: For charms with a duration greater than instant, you have to commit motes. Here you have it listed as indefinate, with the cost being 3 motes per day. Does that mean you have to commit 3 motes 1 day, commit 3 more motes the next, etc.?

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award