Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 1st of November, 2007, 17:25
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
"I mean really, any suggestions? It's important as a backup in case there are soldiers up there, that we really, and I mean really, scare them."
Unread 1st of November, 2007, 23:24
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Signing, Fugen indicates that he doesn't think the soldiers will scare easily given that their living in a haunted province.
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 01:59
Linklegacy77

"These spirits haven't yet bothered them, but that doesn't mean they can't. Besides, the first time I ever saw magic, it really freaked me out."
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 04:01
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
"I'm not sure how intimidating we'll be with the three of us shrunk to the size of a housecat, but it can't hurt I suppose."
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 08:25
Linklegacy77

"Don't worry about that, if we are truly small enough for him to be able carry us all, it shouldn't be difficult for us to hide under his enormous cloak.
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 19:08
Boomlaor
Devourer

Takeshi raises the obvious question,

"I won't be able to prepare and cast those spider climb spells 'till tomorrow morning. Can we stay here tonight and get the uninterrupted rest we casters will need?"
Unread 3rd of November, 2007, 01:08
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Signing, Fugen indicates that that really should be up to the casters. How much did they trust the blessing of the Five Martyrs to not only keep the evil spirits from harming them, but also from interuppting their sleep. If they weren't willing to trust the blessing that far, then the group should probably retreat to the cathedral, a comprimised location as it was, where they knew that the forbiddance and hallowing spell would protect them.

In any event, if they needed to check out the Inn's stables as it wouldn't be possible to take the horses with them over the wall.
Unread 3rd of November, 2007, 03:39
Linklegacy77

"Forget the cathedral. It is no longer safe for us, even for a moment. We're better off picking a spot in the middle of a field at random."
Unread 3rd of November, 2007, 05:01
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Signing, Fugen indicates that they might as well stay in the inn then, unless they want to run for the province border.

He then puts action to his earlier note about the stables and goes to check them out.
Unread 5th of November, 2007, 14:25
Boomlaor
Devourer

Takeshi suggests that he be one of the "Spider Climb" targets and someone else be shrunk, as that would allow Daisuke to come along with the group, but otherwise agrees to the plan.
Unread 5th of November, 2007, 20:24
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
2:19 The Magic Inn

Jiangu!, Chapter 6, Scene 2:19 The Magic Inn

Having sketched out their plan for the next day, the heroes settle in to the Magic Inn to rest as the spellcaster's prepare for the next day. They put their horses into the inn's abandoned stables and find a room in the inn that is free of dead bodies where they can make camp. Since it was still mid-morning when they arrived at the top of Shan Mountain, they have all day and night to camp.

Their rest is undisturbed until late afternoon. Then they hear the noise of many horses approaching from downhill. Due to the angle it is difficult to see what is approaching up the road until it reaches the inn. As they spy out of the inn window, they see approximately 50 riders coming up the road towards the palace. They are spread out on the narrow road, so it takes a while for them to pass by. The riders ignore the inn and ride past towards the palace.

The riders are armed and armored. Some ride warhorses, and others ride travelling mounts. They have a wide variety of equipment. Some wear colors or insignia to indicate that they are part of an organized group, but the band seems to include several different such groups.

OOC
CR for riders 1-5 (2 average)
Unread 6th of November, 2007, 11:37
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Fugen scrutinizes the devices that are worn to see if he recognizes any of them. Indeed, about a dozen of the 50 riders are wearing an emblem that he has seen before: It is an emblem that appeared in the shrine where they rescued Dai Peng, the evil cult leader, yesterday. It is the emblem of the village Shuan.

As the henchmen have learned, Shuan is a settlement in Dian that was taken over by an evil gang in the aftermath of the scourge that drove all virtue from the province. Shuan was ruled by Dai Peng and adhered to his cult of the Stars of Power, until the controllers of the Palace compelled them to betray Dai Peng and swear fealty to Angara Mainu.
Unread 6th of November, 2007, 13:46
Linklegacy77

Nimdor carefully watches to see if there's any real detail, although he knows there is nothing he is likely to recognize.
Unread 6th of November, 2007, 14:18
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Flarrgj watches there air and how they ride, looks at there equiptment, to see if there very martialy competant or not.
Unread 6th of November, 2007, 15:47
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Nimdor also recognizes the insignia of Shuan village, but he can't identify any of the other insignia.

Flarrgj does not sense any military discipline in the group riding past. He can see that many are good riders, and has the impression that some may be dangerous fighters, but they do not seem organized. He gets the sense that the 50 riders are divided into several groups (as denoted by the various insignia) that have not worked together before. They act like several bandit gangs riding together, not a cohesive military unit.
Unread 7th of November, 2007, 02:13
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Fugen doesn't like the fact that the forces in the palace are about to go up by 50 men, but doesn't see much that they can do about it. There didn't seem to be any real organization to the group and some of the men appeared to be relatively inexperienced, but sprinkled amongst them were others who clearly knew what they were doing and that combined with the sheer numbers would be more than enough to wipe out the entire party should they try to prevent them from reaching the palace.

Fortunately, they seemed content to just ride by without checking the buildings.

No, what really worried Fugen was the other implications of this movement of men. First off, it meant that in addition to the party that had been searching the cathedral earlier, messengers had been sent out to gather forces in the palace. The inhabitants knew they were coming and were making preparations. These men could, potentially, be just the tip of the iceberg.

Secondly, 50 additional men would make it possible for the palace to mount patrols of the walls. The party's hope of getting in unnoticed may be passing them by. They would have to be extra careful when attempting to infiltrate the next day and needed to make finding a fortifiable location within the palace a priority if they could not clear the gate and guarantee a line of retreat.

Hopefully, however, these groups would be no more likely to work together inside the palace than they had outside. If they split up into their individual units then there might be a chance that they could be eliminated one by one.
Unread 7th of November, 2007, 05:59
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

2:20 What's Going On?

Jiangu!, Chapter 6, Scene 2:20 What's Going On?

The mounted men continue to straggle along past the inn. The last half-dozen riders of the 50 are hauling behind their saddles the bodies of Hangyakunin and the fallen mercenaries that were killed earlier in the day.

"What's going on?" shouts one of these riders to another further ahead. This is no surprise to anyone with military experience. Those in the back of a column never get information about where the column is heading.

"The henchmen of Golock weren't at the Cathedral like the message told us, so now we are going up to the palace to find out what they want us to do next!" shouts back the rider up ahead.
Unread 7th of November, 2007, 08:25
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Listening to the shouts of the men, Fugen reassesses his assumptions of what was going on.

So, this was the follow up group that we expected, it just came from the other direction... Now, what are they going to do next? Will the men at the palace take them in and use them to bolster their numbers, or will they send them back out to search for us...

Signing, Fugen suggest that they move across the road to the Cavern once the men are all out of sight. The smell, as unpleseant as it is will likely keep the men out should they come back searching for them. The issue, however, will be getting the mounts to go inside willingly.
Unread 7th of November, 2007, 15:16
Linklegacy77

Hmmmm.... perhaps.... yes. Now... how to make it.... no, that's no good. Damn, this one is tough. It's like trying to steal a person's most prized possession right out from their hand... that's it!

Nimdor carefully leans in to whisper to everyone, even though with all the noise outside, there's no way for the horsemen to hear them.

"I have an idea."
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 02:26
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Already having second thoughts about trying to hide in the Cavern, especially with the animals, Fugen looks at Nimdor to see what his idea is.
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 04:21
Linklegacy77

"Okay... This might just work. Look at the sheer number of soldiers going in to that castle. Do you think that during an emergency, that they are going to be able to keep track of them all? We all got a good look at their uniform, and I may have never mentioned it before, but I am an artist when it comes to disguises. What we need to do, is make ourselves look like those horsemen, and enter the castle while those horsemen are in the castle. If it turns out they leave, then we'll have to try this for some of the guardsmen, which will be more dangerous. Either way, we'll need a large threat to distract them, and keep them from looking too closely. Oh, and Gizerak, Takeshi and I, we're not going to be disguised.
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 05:15
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Seeing a big hole in this idea, Fugen asks how Gizerak, Takeshi, and Nimdor are to be gotten inside if they aren't disguised.
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 08:16
Linklegacy77

"Heh, that isn't obvious enough? There are several possibilities for getting in, which we've already discussed. Primarily, scaling the wall with that wall-walking magic. Once inside, I suspect you'll find it alot easier to create a hole in the wall defenses for the rest of us to slip into."
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 11:00
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Liking the idea even less now, Fugen points out that all the men that went by were both men and human, which will make disguising Kierna difficult. Plus, it will be fairly easy to ferret Fugen out because of the fact that he doesn't talk. That was half of those that Nimdor planned on disguising. That didn't bode well to Fugen's way of thinking.
Unread 8th of November, 2007, 13:14
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Flarrgj pipes up here.

"I am experienced in the mercinary arts. Perhaps I could be disguised? I would join the soldiers, create a diversion?"