Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 1st of February, 2007, 15:07
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Chapter 5, Scene 6 Deng to Merak Hoi

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6 Deng Province

The henchmen remain in the road near the outpost until the thunderstorm strikes after dark. Without a tent or other shelter, they spend the night soaking wet as the storm rages. They get almost no sleep. The storm subsides into a drizzling rain some time after midnight. In the morning it tapers off. Tthe sun is shining by noon, when Termix, Nimdor, and a squad of cavalrymen arrive.

The cavalrymen present an official order to the outpost. It authorizes Termix, Nimdor, and their companions to cross the border.

The sentries explain that it should take about three and a half hours to climb the steep path to the Fortress at the top of the pass. They should reach the lair of the basilisk by late afternoon. They describe the geography of Deng Province so that the heroes gain a general understanding of what lies beyond the fortress as well.

The henchmen leave the outpost and enter Deng Province. They spend the afternoon on winding mountain trails crossing the range that protect the Imperial Heartland from the wild regions of the West.



OOC
Everyone in the group except Termix and Nimdor is fatigued.

A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

Now is the time for you to describe your plan for approaching the fortress, and your strategy to deal with the basilisk.





Last edited by crueldespot; 1st of February, 2007 at 15:24.
  #2  
Unread 2nd of February, 2007, 10:05
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"I'm sorry for leaving you all out here in the storm without letting you know we suceeded, but in the shape the horses were in, there was no way we could get back to you in time to get you out of the storm, and the horses would likely have died in the effort. Now, on to a more important matter. What are we going to about the basilisk. Defeating it will be very dangerous, and we could just avoid it. However, I did tell the chieftan we would attempt to defeat it, and he promised a reward if we suceed."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #3  
Unread 2nd of February, 2007, 12:32
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns, dark circles under his eye's.

"Perhaps we should take some time to rest, i could not do so in the storm. While doing that we may discuss our plan?"

He stretches mightly, and sits down on a nearby rock, sprawling across it. He remains in this position for a heartbeat before hastly scrampling himself into a more dignified position, legs crossed as he had seen others do. The action seems self concius and almost nervous.
  #4  
Unread 2nd of February, 2007, 23:13
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus glances at Flarrgj and nods. "I'm not sure we can afford too much of a delay, but I'm not liking the odds against a basilisk while we're this tired either."
  #5  
Unread 3rd of February, 2007, 01:21
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Barely able to keep his eyes open after the long, wet night, Gizerak is still animated enough to express his concerns over waiting too long.

"We have already delayed this long. Waiting another day to rest may defeat the purpose of gaining entrance through the pass. But of course, waiting a day would allow me to heal our wounds more fully. I leave the decision to you all. Either way, Sha-gaat will see me through this."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #6  
Unread 3rd of February, 2007, 01:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Already in a bad mood because of the lack of sleep, the debate of the others on whether to continue right away or not annoys Fugen. Still, with all the soldiers around from the village, he's not willing to risk exposing himself to scrutiny by signing or writing and so quietly goes about saddling the horses.

Fools! We promised the chieftian that it would be the golem doing the fighting. Or at least, that is what Nimdor was supposed to promise him. Given that I seriously doubt that these militia men would understand a delay because we are tired. They don't expect us to do anything more than stay close enough to the golem to direct it until we catch sight of the basilisk and then to hang back while the golem takes care of the creature.
  #7  
Unread 3rd of February, 2007, 06:18
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna glances at the militia as they ride up the path to the fortress; when none are close enough to hear her, she leans closer to Termix and mutters,

"I know I was against it before, but in the current state we find ourselves in, it might be better to let the golem do the basilisk-slaying. If it comes up, of course. Are we within a day's ride of its supposed lair? If we aren't, the problem will solve itself next time we stop for the evening."

Once she is done conversing with the wizard, she moves to the head of the column, keeping an eye out for dangers along the path.
  #8  
Unread 3rd of February, 2007, 06:23
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"I doubt the golem should fight. Termix and I are well rested, and although I am not much of a fighter, Termix should be able to blast the beast. Kierna, although you are tired, I'm sure your bow will not waver. Anyway, we cannot much afford a delay, as they will wonder why we are not there soon."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #9  
Unread 3rd of February, 2007, 09:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Once the guard outpost is far behind and out of sight, Fugen signs to convey his thoughts to the others. With most of the group still tired from the night out in the storm, their best bet was to find someplace where they could hole up to rest before attempting to take on the basilisk. Kierna especially. The creature's ability to turn its victims to stone and its sluggish nature meant that any confrontation, whether with the golem or not, was likely to take place at a distance so as to minimize the chance of anyone being turned to stone. Those with the ability to attack at a distance would need to be at their best.

Either that, or they should try to make it through the pass as quickly as possible without encountering the basilisk. The promise had only been to try, and as much as Fugen disliked leaving these people open to further attack from the basilisk, if they made it through without encountering the basilisk, then they could reasonably pass on that fact and continue on their way.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #10  
Unread 4th of February, 2007, 07:49
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:1 The Imperial Fortress of Deng Pass

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:1 The Imperial Fortress of Deng Pass

The heroes spend the afternoon resting in the middle of the narrow road. There is no need to leave the road ,since the blockade has stopped all traffic. They are ready to travel again as the sun starts to set.

Through the night they follow the road through the mountains . The road goes parallel to the first ridgeline as it climbs, finally reaching the crest and crossing over into a narrow valley. The middle range is narrower but steeper. Steadily they climb, until they round a turn and see the fortress ahead. It is midnight, but starlight reveals the general shape of the distant fortress.



OOC: With two days to rest and heal since the last battle, the group are all back up to max HP, with full spells. No fatigue.

  #11  
Unread 4th of February, 2007, 10:26
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Well, here we go!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #12  
Unread 4th of February, 2007, 11:53
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Feeling better since the party rested, the darkness of night still makes Fugen uncomfortable, especially when they face a creature whose mere gaze can turn some one to stone.

Getting out his bull's eye lantern, Fugen shines it over the road ahead and the terrain around them before closing it back up. Waiting a moment for his eyes to readjust to the starlight, Fugen turns to Linus and Gizerak and suggests that the group wait until morning before proceeding any further.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #13  
Unread 5th of February, 2007, 05:47
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj eye's the fortress with a warry glance and frowns proffesionaly. After a minute he says in a low voice;

"So... what is Basalisk exactly?"
  #14  
Unread 5th of February, 2007, 10:14
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"I'm not too sure about details, but I can tell you, from myths and stories and the like, that it is a lizard like creature that can turn you to stone. Scary, isn't it?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #15  
Unread 5th of February, 2007, 12:51
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns again.

"In my homeland there is a creature, in your tongue it would be 'Cold Snake. They are massive creatures that grow to hundreds of feet long, longer sometimes, and are able to spew a cone of cold that can feeze the very air you breathe. It is so cold that to very touch it can kill. When it dies, it turns to ice and exploads, sending out a field of ice shards that can decimate entire villiges."

Flarrgj leaves this statement as a counter point of it's own.
  #16  
Unread 5th of February, 2007, 12:55
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"I certainly hope that isn't what we are facing."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #17  
Unread 6th of February, 2007, 08:06
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:2 The Imperial Fortress of Deng Pass

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:2 The Imperial Fortress of Deng Pass

Before arriving at the fortress, the heroes find a large cave that opens onto the road. Taking suitable precautions, they ensure that it is safe. This seems to have been used as a resting place for carvans or troops. There are hearths for campfires and a roped-off area for animals, but it is now deserted. Here the heroes rest again for several hours until dawn.

In the early morning daylight they leave the cave and advance towards the fortress. It is an incredibly tall structure, well over 100 feet high. This was necessary to make it more difficult for enemies to assail from the surrounding peaks.

The fortress is narrow, with two sturdy towers on either side. The towers portrude only on the other side, so the side facing the henchmen is flat. Several levels of arrow slits are arrayed above the imposing passage through the fortress. The fortress was built to defend against invaders seeking to enter the Imperial Heartland from outide, but defenses were built facing both sides, against the possibility that a dismounted enemy contingent might climb the mountains to attack from the rear.

Scattered rubble lays around the outside of the gate. Once they get closer, the henchmen see that the rubble is the petrified remains of some of the basilisk's victims. It appears that they were pushed out of the fortress and piled here. These stone figures are broken and hollow on the inside. The gaze of the basilisk appears to petrify the outer layers of its victims to imobilize them, so that it can break them open to eat the meat and innards within.

A sign is carved neatly into the outer wall of the fortress beside the gate, but the henchmen are still too far away to read it.

The passage is open, and the rising sun behind them illuminates all the way through to the other side. The gates and portcullises at either end are open.

The passage is fifteen feet wide and fifteen feet high. The fortress is sixty feet deep. The exterior walls are twenty feet thick on either side. After the passage penetrates the exterior walls from both directions, it opens up to a wider area in the middle.

This is what the henchmen have determined by glancing through the passage from the greatest distance possible. They are now about a hundred feet from the gate. They neither see nor hear any sign of the basilisk. Since the victims were pushed outside, the passage through the fortress is unobstructed.

Last edited by crueldespot; 6th of February, 2007 at 08:09.
  #18  
Unread 6th of February, 2007, 09:45
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Signing, Fugen suggests (though Gizerak or Linus) that Termix direct the golem to walk through the fortress and then come back so as to draw the basilisk out if it is there. Those with ranged weapons should have them at the ready to fire should the basilisk appear.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #19  
Unread 6th of February, 2007, 10:14
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
After the plan is revealed to Flarrgj he stands in the backround for a second. He then diggs around his pack for a scrap of cloth, which he ties around his eye's. Next he draws his greatsword and sits down in the middle of the path, sword sitting wide across his lap, extending a good two feet on either side.
  #20  
Unread 6th of February, 2007, 12:36
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor draws a dagger after the translation, and then speaks to Fugen. "You know, sometime when we are in less danger, you need to teach me how to understand that sign language."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #21  
Unread 7th of February, 2007, 13:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:3 The Basilisk Appears

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:3 The Basilisk Appears

On the command of Termix, the golem sets off on its own, marching through the fortress. It seems strange after the last several days to see the golem moving by itself, instead of following Termix.

Once the golem enters the small courtyard in the middle of the fortress, the henchmen can hear a distant reptilian growl echo through the passage. The golem marches on, oblivious.

As the golem exits the fortress through the passage in the far wall, the basilisk appears. It lumbers into view in the courtyard and turns away from the henchmen to face the golem, just as the golem reaches the far end and does an about face.



OOC
Note that the coordinates refer to the upper-right hand edge of each square. One square=20 ft
The characters are currently at and around 220E/20N
The basilisk is at 240E/130N
The golem is at 240E/ 160N


  #22  
Unread 7th of February, 2007, 23:42
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor turns his gaze downward, refusing to look into the eyes of so dangerous a beast. He then moves into a nearby hiding place to avoid it's notice if possible.

<OOC: Cast gaze away. Hide. Spend action point if necessary>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 8th of February, 2007 at 10:17.
  #23  
Unread 8th of February, 2007, 04:17
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
With the basilisk's back to the party at the moment, Fugen waits apprehensively. In his throwing hand rests a tanglefoot bag and in his other, a bottle of alchemist's fire: one to hold the basilisk at bay, the other to hurt it without getting too close. The basilisk is still much to far away though for his throwing arm and Fugen patently hopes that the creature never does get close enough.

Anxious, Fugen waits for Kierna and Linus to use their bows to take the first shot.

Gods! Don't let the creature get too close.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #24  
Unread 8th of February, 2007, 04:25
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus comprehends the monk's anxiety, draws his bow and takes aim at the basilisk, letting loose an arrow at the distracted large lizard.
  #25  
Unread 8th of February, 2007, 04:54
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna follows suit, raising her bow up high for a pair of long, arcing shots. She isn't sure how easy the basilisk will be to hit, but she is determined to prevent it from coming too close to the group.

[Rapid Shot +9/+9, d8+3/x3; will not avert gaze if basilisk closes, but I will spend action points on my saves versus its gaze]
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 22:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren