Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 13th of October, 2006, 05:48
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
"Then with all haste, let us continue west."

Kierna is anxious to put some distance between themselves and the battle site; she still has a lingering feeling that she somehow contributed to the previous day's bloodshed, despite her strong opinions about Renge's ultimate responsibility for how things turned out.
  #27  
Unread 13th of October, 2006, 06:18
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
"West it is." Linus, knowing full well that he has no head for maps, simply follows along. He glances at the golem from time to time, still amazed at the power of his employer.
  #28  
Unread 13th of October, 2006, 08:15
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Of course, west."

Once the group leaves again, Nimdor engages Linus in a conversation in Halfling regarding their talents.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #29  
Unread 13th of October, 2006, 13:23
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
3:4 Rope Bridge

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 3:4 Rope Bridge

After the intersection, the road becomes even narrower. A mile further, they enter another stretch of rough terrain, unmarked by human habitation.

A peasant on foot carrying a heavy load passes them heading east. He frowns and shakes his head when he sees the horses and golem, but says nothing.

A couple of miles further they reach the Grave River. In fact, the river is about two hundred feet below them. They have reached the edge of a cliff overlooking a deep river canyon. The appearance of the canyon reminds Termix of the deep canyon of the Upper Swift River, forty miles to the northeast.

A rope bridge leads across the canyon to Miao Province on the far side. The bridge seems to be in good repair, but how strong is it?



OOC:
DC15 to ride (ride skill) or lead (handle animal) a horse across the rope bridge.
  #30  
Unread 13th of October, 2006, 14:14
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns and inspects the rope bridge, dubius of it's strength and it's ability to hold up his great mass, then the golum comes back to mind, who is even heviar then him, not to mention the horses.

"This could be a problem...." he mutters to himself.
  #31  
Unread 14th of October, 2006, 02:27
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"Fugen...do your maps show any other places nearby that we could possible cross the river?"
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #32  
Unread 14th of October, 2006, 03:34
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Getting out his maps, Fugen makes a notation on them about the rope bridge, silently cursing them for not having those kind of pertinant details on them already. He then eaxmines them for another possible spot to cross, but can find none closeby.

Turning to Gizerak, he signs to indicate that if they didn't cross here, then by the map the would have to back track to the highway and then head either south to cross on the highway bridge into BangXie, or head north and pass above the marked headwaters into ShiHuTong before cutting cross country to get back on track. In either case they'd waste at least a day's travel on such a detour.

Dismounting, Fugen walks out to the middle of the bridge to gauge its strength as best he can, and to get a measure of the width of the gorge. Once out there, he also looks at the walls on either side of the canyon in both directions as far as he can see, hoping to spy some alternative route.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #33  
Unread 14th of October, 2006, 03:52
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus' eyes roll around woozily. The thought of being suspended above a gorge with only a flimsy rope bridge as support was not a comforting thought to the halfling. This was way beyond a simple fear of heights. He watches as Fugen heads out to the middle of the bridge, hoping that there is some other way across that doesn't waste a day of travel.
  #34  
Unread 14th of October, 2006, 04:46
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor walks up onto the rope bridge, to test the strength of it.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #35  
Unread 14th of October, 2006, 13:29
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
"We're definately going to have to go across one at a time," Termix says. "Unless the unfortunate happens...."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #36  
Unread 16th of October, 2006, 23:53
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"What's the verdict, Fugen? Do you think it would hold the golem?"

"If the bridge is not strong enough, we need to choose which way to go. Though it is more well know the crossings to the south offer more opportunity for our enemies to catch us. If we were to go through the wilderness, we would be less likely to be chased, but have no guarantee that we will save time, to say nothing of getting lost."

"I have faith in Kierna's abilities though, and would rather not fight anymore for the time being, I would vote for going north past the headwaters."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #37  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 00:26
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna shrugs.

"If we need to blaze our own trail, I can certainly do that. But if we have rope and pitons, we might be able to strengthen the bridge's existing supports. How much did your grandfather say the golem weighs, Termix?"
  #38  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 07:59
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj walks over to the edge and pears down the canion to see how deep it is and maybe what is at the botem.
  #39  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 08:44
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
Termix looks off into the distance, recollecting the weight of the golem. His hand moves mindlessly and stops just before he speaks. "600 pounds, give or take. You think the bridge can hold that much, Fugen? We could send it across by itself, after some of us are on the other side...."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #40  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 10:20
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
3:5 The Gorge

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 3:5 The Gorge

None of the henchmen have any engineering expertise, and their opinions vary widely about the strength of the bridge. The ropes and planks are in good repair, with no frays, cracks, or rot. It seems strong when any of the henchmen venture out onto it, but how can a person under 200 pounds test the capacity to hold a 1200 pound horse?

The golem would not be the greatest challenge to the bridge, as it only weighs about half as much as one of the horses.

The bridge is 100 yards long. It was located on one of the narrower points along the gorge. Further up and downstream the widge varies up to 300 yards wide. From the middle of the bridge, it appears to Fugen that the gorge is deeper upstream to the north and grows more shallow as the river flows south. The gorge is very steep at this point, and Fugen cannot see any paths leading down into the gorge.



OOC:
5,3:5 (1d20=4, 1d20=9, 1d20=1, 1d20=18, 1d20=11, 1d20=3, 1d20=4, 1d20=8, 1d20=17, 1d20=4, 1d20=17, 1d20=1, 1d20=13, 1d20=13, 1d20=2, 1d20=13, 1d20=20, 1d20=4, 1d20=6, 1d20=12)
  #41  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 11:41
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Hmmm, if the lightest takes one of the horses across, it might just work if we go one at a time. The golem may be large, but it couldn't be heavier than one of these horses. The only challenge is that it displaces it's weight less effectively... What do you all want to do?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #42  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 11:53
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
"I think the lightest will wind up making more than one trip," Termix says, thinking over the situation. "Perhaps we can put the golem and several of us on the bridge at the same time to approximate how much weight the bridge can hold?"
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #43  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 13:25
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns, contemplating the problem, only really listening to the others so that he knows whats going on. Out of no where, he asks, looking at the two spell casters;

"Do you not have magic that could help?"
  #44  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 13:35
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
"I could, but the horse wouldn't have enough consciousness to accept the spell, much less use it."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #45  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 13:55
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna grins at Termix.

"Using us -or the golem- to test the bridge's stability seems to bypass the point of caution."

She looks around the nearby terrain for something that could approximate the weight of a horse, because she wasn't about to let the others use an actual horse for this sort of thing.

[any boulders around here that Flarrgj could roll onto the bridge?]
  #46  
Unread 17th of October, 2006, 20:10
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Kierna sees some big boulders nearby, but nothing round enough to roll. There are also some fallen trees. Unfortunately, anything heavy enough to approximate the weight of a horse is therefore also too heavy to carry.



OOC: Consult the carrying capacity chart in the PHB. You could work together, rig the boulders or trees to drag, or take multiple trips to pile items on the bridge for this test. If the test proves the bridge is not strong enough, the result is that the tester will fall into the gorge with rocks instead of falling in with a horse.
  #47  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 04:35
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Well, I guess we have a choice then. Proceed onward without horses, or go around."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #48  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 05:58
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
"Well I wasn't saying stay on until it broke," Termix says. "Just get enough weight to realize the bridge is or isn't going to hold the weight of a horse....."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #49  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 06:16
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
"Well, we need to make a decision here. Either we cross now with the mounts and do our best to keep them from freaking out, or we head around, but we need to come to a conclusion sooner rather than later. The faster we get done, the less likely we'll be to meet up with Brother Cobra again."
  #50  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 07:04
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Much to far to jump, even with magic. If only there was a place where we could find a gap narrow enough to jump.

Thinking about adding strength to the bridge, Fugen also quickly comes to the conclusion that any rope the party had wasn't likely to be long enough to span the whole length, so that wouldn't help either.

Coming off the bridge, Fugen suggests that they head south along the edge of the gorge. It seemed to get shallower in that direction, so they would be more likely to find a crossing.

It was either that, or attempt to bring the horses across a rope bridge that might not be strong enough to hold them. If only there was a way to query the gods about the matter, Fugen laments at the end of his suggestion.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren