Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 2nd of September, 2006, 21:25
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2: Hilltop Confrontation

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2: Hilltop Confrontation
Setting: A rural hilltop 19 miles north and 1.5 miles East of Shan Mountain, 8th Day of Midsummer, 300th Year of the Monkey

The henchmen position themselves on the hilltop. The clay golem adheres to its programming and stays behind Termix.

Once the scout that has been following them sees them stop, he halts his mount well beyond arrow range and waits.

Shortly the rest of his group catches up to him and they all proceed at a casual trot. Nimdor rides with them.

As they ascend the slope towards the henchmen, Kierna challenges them. “Halt! state your business with us or leave!"

The three minions level their crossbows at Kierna.

The unarmored gentleman raises his hand in greeting. “Thank you for stopping. We only wish to facilitate the accomplishment of your mission. I am Canzan, and this is Captain Cuanwei Renge. We have been sent to take delivery of the golem.”

As they continue to ride forward, he smoothly plucks a rolled scroll from his sleeve. “The Acting Supreme Commander of the Imperial Army has decided to deploy the golem on a different front. This amendment to your purchase order is signed by him. It authorizes us to take delivery. We will sign your delivery receipt and give you the amendment. Present them both at the treasury.”
As they ride up the slope, Canzan holds forth the scroll as if to hand it to someone.



OOC:

5,2 (1d20=4, 1d20=7, 1d20=18, 1d20=5, 1d20=17, 1d20=9, 1d20=16, 1d20=14, 1d20=20, 1d20=2)
Termix knowledge (nobility) roll 4+mods vs DC15= failure. I had to roll because Termix could not succeed with a “take 10.”

Canzan and Captain Cuanwei Renge are now just beyond the south edge of the map.

  #2  
Unread 2nd of September, 2006, 22:21
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Trotting forward, Fugen takes the scroll and opens it to examine it.
  #3  
Unread 2nd of September, 2006, 23:57
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna is unfazed by the crossbowmen. She knows that her vantage point is superior, and is prepared to kill their leader at the first sign of treachery. She trains her bow on Canzan, and waits for Fugen to return to them safely with the scroll in hand.

[ready action to fire once at Canzan if Fugen is attacked. +10 to hit (higher ground bonus figured in), d8+3/x3]
  #4  
Unread 3rd of September, 2006, 05:32
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"To what front are you taking that monstrosity?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #5  
Unread 3rd of September, 2006, 08:20
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
"Go sit by the wall," Termix says to the golem, pointing to the specific spot where he wants it to. He then readies himself for any conflict that may come.

OOC: Order golem to sit at 95-100N/45-50E. Ready action to cast magic missle at Canzan should violence erupt.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #6  
Unread 4th of September, 2006, 11:46
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Skeptical at the story that they are being given, Gizerak holds himself ready to cast a spell should things go awry.

OOC: ready action to to cast hold person on Captain Renge

Spells currently prepared:
0th: Detect Magic, Light, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance
1st: Bless, Doom, Obscuring Mist (Domain: Burning Hands)
2nd: Hold Person, Summon Monster II (casting) (Domain: Produce Flame)

eh..forgot to come up with a new list of prepared spells previously. I guess I'll use this one.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #7  
Unread 4th of September, 2006, 18:27
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
2:1 Fugen Retrieves the Scroll

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2:1 Fugen Retrieves the Scroll

Hearing Nimdor’s question, Renge answers “the FanRong garrison initially. It’s in the amendment.”

Canzan hands the scroll to Fugen diplomatically. He takes careful note when he sees Termix instruct the golem.

Captain Renge’s entourage continues forward until they are at the base of the cliff. The three minions ride across the adjacent field to get within thirty feet of Flarrgj.

Fugen retrieves the scroll and breaks the seal to unfurl it. It contains the appropriate legal language. After the customary heading and dedications to the gods, the actual content is as follows:
Delivery location: Change to FangRong Garrison or vicinity of authorized agent.
Authorized agent: Change to Captain Cuanwei Renge, alternate: Diplomatic Liaison Canzan.
Compensation: Add early delivery bonus: an additional 1,000 gold pieces for every day prior to the 18th of Midsummer, 300th Year of the Monkey.

The ammendment order is signed and crimped with the official seal of Colonel Cuanwei Shuai, Commander of the Third Imperial Regiment. His rank is crossed out, and replaced with the hand-written “High Marshall.” Below his title in the seal is a handwritten addition: “Acting Supreme Commander.”



OOC:
Flarrgj. 65-70E/70-75N. Draws greatsword and readies action to attack any foe in range.
Fugen. 70-75E/80-85N. Reads scroll.
Gizerak: 55E/85N. I am assuming the trigger for his readied action is the same as Kierna’s?
Kierna 50E/50N. Readed action to shoot “if attacked.”
Linus. 50E/60N.
Nimdor 30E/15N
Termix. 50-55E/65-70N. Readied spell “if violence should erupt.”

Canzan 50-55E/35-40N
Renge 40-45E/30-35N
Hengte 35-40E/20-25N
Monk 30E/20N
Minion1: 65-70E/40-45N. Stows crossbow and draws greatsword.
Minion2: 60-65E/30-35N. Readied action to shoot Kierna.
Minion3: 50-55E/25-30N. Readied action to shoot Kierna.


  #8  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 00:32
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
After examining the document, Fugen hands it back. Turning around so that his body blocks the view of the captian and his party, Fugen relays the contents of the document to Gizerak and Linus. He then adds a message of his own, indicating that the 3rd regiment is attached to a bloodline faction. Their mission was to deliver the golem to the 5th regiment, which was allied with the interim government. The author of the order did not have the authority to modify their delivery instructions. Plus, even if he did, that would have had to been verified with Golock first.

[OOC: Given that Fugen just took the document from the captian, shouldn't he be in 45-50N/55-60E, adjacent to the captian?]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #9  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 01:05
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna's face remains impassive as she watches Fugen sign to the halfings.

I really need to pick that up.

[modify readied action as follows - fire at Canzan should violence of any sort break out]
  #10  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 09:14
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"Gentlemen. My courier friend has read your parchment and if you would permit us just a moment, we would like to discuss the situation. Kierna, could you join us?"

From the cover of the wall, Gizerak signs back to Fugen.

I see this turning bad quite quickly. I am prepared to refuse their offer.

OOC: Keep action readied to cast hold person on Captain Renge should violence break out.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #11  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 10:26
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Uh, maybe I could take a look at that contract? I'm quite knowledgeable, and I might be able to help you two parties settle this. I'm just an innocent bystander, but this is all very interesting to me, and I'm loving it."

<OOC: Bluff +7, he's definately not an innocent bystander>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #12  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 13:16
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
2:2 Nimdor Examines the Document

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2:2 Nimdor Examines the Document

“Aren’t we all innocent bystanders, in the greater scheme of things?” ponders Canzan. “By all means, join your friends up there.”

Once Nimdor has a chance to observe the document, he determines that the seal is authentic. The style and handwriting are definitely those of a lowland nobleman. Nimdor is confident that the document is genuine. It was written by Colonel (or Marshall, depending on one’s political views) Cuanwei Shuai.

“There is no reason for us to threaten each other with raised weapons” says Captain Renge with a smile. “At ease” he commands his warriors. They obediently lower their weapons.

“It does not seem fair that your master should get all of the benefit” says Canzan. “To thank you for your diligent efforts, I would like to offer you men a personal gratuity.” He raises a substantial bag. It’s shape and the muffled tinkling noise indicates that it is filled with coins.



OOC:

5,2:2 (1d20=1, 1d20=11, 1d20=11, 1d20=20, 1d20=3, 1d20=20, 1d20=6, 1d20=11, 1d20=10, 1d20=18, 1d20=1, 1d20=15, 1d20=4, 1d20=9, 1d20=8, 1d20=15, 1d20=16, 1d20=20, 1d20=20, 1d20=2)

Nimdor bluff skill natural 1+mod vs Canzan 11+ fairly high sense motive mod. Bluff fails.
Nimdor rolls nat 20+forgery mod to examine document. Success.

Flarrgj. 65-70E/70-75N. Draws greatsword and readies action to attack any foe in range.
Fugen. 55-60E/45-50N. Position revised to be next to Canzan.
Gizerak: 55E/85N. Hold person if violence breaks out.
Kierna 50E/50N. Readed action to shoot if violence breaks out.
Linus. 50E/60N.
Nimdor 60E/55N. Moves up behind Fugen.
Termix. 50-55E/65-70N. Readied spell “if violence should erupt.”

Canzan 50-55E/35-40N
Renge 40-45E/30-35N
Hengte 35-40E/20-25N
Monk 30E/20N
Minion1: 65-70E/40-45N. Wielding greatsword.
Minion2: 60-65E/30-35N. Lowers crossbow.
Minion3: 50-55E/25-30N. Lowers crossbow.


  #13  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 13:25
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor moves up to the group, and reads it. "The document is quite genuine, but perhaps somebody should talk to Golock first. Termix, can you communicate with him?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #14  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 13:38
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna lowers her bow, though her muscles remain tense with anticipation and a bit of pure nervousness. She doesn't like standoffs.

When the henchmen are all gathered and out of earshot of Colonel Shuai's soldiers, Kierna shakes her head to Nimdor. "There is no reason to contact Golock. We were given explicit instructions about where to deliver the golem."

She peers over her shoulder towards the edge of the bluff.

"The only question is what to do about them. I don't think they'll take 'no' for an answer, but at the same time I'd rather avoid open bloodshed if we have other options. Perhaps we can scare them off?"
  #15  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 13:47
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Is there any way we can escape without them realizing it until we are gone? Any magics somebody has? The problem is the Golem, but maybe we could make it invisible and silent?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #16  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 21:24
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus sighs. Fighting with armed militia men was not what he had envisioned for the first day out from Golock's. He had thought they'd at least get to the second day of their journey without confrontation. As scary as the prospect of fighting these men was, the idea of going back to the Fearsome Wizard's having failed their mission, handing over the golem to these bastards without so much as a fight, was even more terrifying.

Linus waits for the group to come to a consensus, drawing his bow and nocking an arrow, but keeping the arrow pointed down. He remains ready to shoot the enemy leader at the first sign of a fight.
  #17  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 22:54
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Well, if we must fight, then we must. Do be aware that I'm not a fighter, and I can't really help you out much."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #18  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 22:56
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"While I have prayed for spells that could help us escape, I fear that once the fog cleared, the captain and his men will be fast on our heels and we will just be fighting again."

In a whisper, he continues.

"I for one will not hand over this golem to the Captain Renge and his men. I have been tasked with recovering the elemental focus at the Imperial Palace, and Golock has been my best lead so far. I say we refuse their offer and fight if necesary. We are positioned well, and should be able to take them on."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #19  
Unread 5th of September, 2006, 23:08
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
"Before we fight though, we must be certain that this is the correct course of action to take. What if we wind up being wrong. Consequences anybody? We will fail in our task."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #20  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 00:20
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"I think that we should refuse the order, and let the consequences fall as they may. Either way, we will be delaying our arrival at the meeting point, but I don't think that we will significantly held up, should a fight fall in our favor. Of course, if it doesn't, the point nearly becomes moot"

"If everyone is in agreement, I will relay our refusal of the order to the captain."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #21  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 00:28
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Kierna nods. "If it must be a fight, let us be done with it quickly."
  #22  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 00:31
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Handing the scroll back to Captain Renge once Nimdor is done examining it, Fugen retreats to where the others are gathering in a make-shift conference. Listening to their prattle about whether or not to fight the captain and his men or run, Fugen sees little reason why it should come to that. Signing, he tells Gizerak to inform the Captain that they are simply Golock's agents and are not authorized to accept a change in the delivery orders except from Golock himself. The Captain, in delaying approaching them for as long as he had simply ensured that his own mission would be further delayed. If the Captain wished to change the delivery orders for the golem, he needed to present his scroll to Golock directly, something he should have done before the group left Ichiba. In the mean time, they were under an obligation to continue with the mission that they had been assigned. Should Golock accept the change in delivery orders, then the wizard was surely capable of making his wishes known to the henchmen, regardless of where they were.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #23  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 01:41
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Quickly signing back his doubts that even that will help the henchmen avoid conflict, the halfling relays Fugen's thoughts to the others. After he has informed them, he turns towards the captain and his men.

"Captain. We are simply agents of the dread wizard Golock. We are unauthorized to accept any change to our mission save from our employer himself. In delaying your approach to us for as long as you have simply ensures that your own mission will be further delayed. If you wish to change the delivery orders for the golem, please present this scroll to Golock directly. We are under obligation to continue on from here with our mission. If Golock should accept this change in orders, he will have a way of contacting us, being the powerful wizard that he is."

"If there is nothing further, we will be on our way."

Waiting for their response, Gizerak prepares to fight should it be necessary, or continue on should the Captain acquiesce.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #24  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 10:09
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2:3 Captain Renge Smiles

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 2:3 Captain Renge Smiles

As the henchmen confer, Captain Renge rides up in front of Canzan.

Once Gizerak expresses his position, the Captain turns to Canzan and nods. He turns back to Gizerak and shrugs. “Very well. Your dedication to your duties is admirable. Your master should be proud to have such thoughtful servants. It must be as you say, that we pursue other channels to accomplish our assignment. However this turns out, it has been my priviledge to make your acquaintance, henchmen of Golock.” Captain Renge smiles. He is the very picture of a storybook cavalier, graceful and noble, of handsome visage.

His expansive gestures and booming voice almost drown out Canzan behind him, who is speaking in a cryptic tongue while gesturing towards Termix.



OOC:
I repositioned characters to reflect the fact that they came together to confer. I moved Gizerak towards the front to facilitate his speech to Renge, etc.

No chance of a surprise round for Canzan, since the characters made it very clear that they were remaining vigilant.

5,2:3 (1d20=9, 1d20=20, 1d20=4, 1d20=17, 1d20=9, 1d20=8, 1d20=2, 1d20=12, 1d20=2, 1d20=10, 1d20=9, 1d20=10, 1d20=7, 1d20=5, 1d20=3, 1d20=5, 1d20=13, 1d20=10, 1d20=12, 1d20=17)
Raw Initiative rolls: Flarrgj 9, Fugen 20, Gizerak 4, Kierna 17, Linus 9, Nimdor 8, Termix 2, Canzan 12, Renge 2, Hengte 10, Monk 9, Minions 10. In order to consolidate initiative rolls into two groups, Renge’s is lifted while Linus’ and Nimdor’s are reduced.

Only Kierna and Fugen can post actions now at the start of round 1. After the next installment, everyone will be able to post actions for the end of round 1 and the start of round 2.

Initiative Order:
Round 1
21 Kierna 50E/55N.
20 Fugen. 65-70E/80-85N.
18 Canzan 55-60E/45-50N
12 Hengte 35-40E/20-25N
11 Monk 30E/20N
11 Minion1: 65-70E/40-45N. Wielding greatsword.
11 Minion2: 60-65E/30-35N. crossbow.
11 Minion3: 50-55E/25-30N. crossbow.
11 Renge 40-45E/30-35N
10 Linus. 50E/60N.
10 Nimdor 60E/70N.
10 Gizerak: 60E/70N.
09 Flarrgj. 65-70E/70-75N.
07 Termix. 50-55E/65-70N.


  #25  
Unread 6th of September, 2006, 12:08
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.61 per day)
Well Fugen, it was a nice thought at the very least.

Kierna raises her bow and lets fly a single arrow in one smooth motion, hoping to skewer Canzan's neck before the incantation can fully leave his lips. Before the first arrow is even halfway to its destination, Kierna has another nocked and released with a twang and a shoooof.

[Rapid Shot - +9/+9 to attack (counting Point Blank Shot and height advantage), 1d8+4/x3. If the first shot somehow kills Canzan, the second will be aimed at Renge]
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren