Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 2nd of June, 2006, 03:15
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
Gizerak quickly relays Fugen's question to Termix, curious himself of the events of Mikon's demise.
Unread 2nd of June, 2006, 05:58
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
"It is little lengthy, but I will try to cut it down to save us some time." Termix replies when asked about the events of his Master's death. He then continues, "Mikon was trying to summon elementals through a gate that is supposed to be linked to the core of the plane where our deity, the Fire Lord of Force, resides. He started reading from a scroll that he had used many times before when, as elementals of fire came through the gate into the tower, glowed orange. The glow enveloped his hand, and, eventually, his whole body. The elementals grew restless, and tried to go back. But Master would not dismiss them. They grew tired, and started burning the tower. As the glow moved from Mikon's hand on up his arm, he tried to throw the scroll through the gate, to no avail. Soon after the glow hand surrounded his whole body, he told me to run, and tell the village something about the scroll. He did not get the chance to finish his sentence, for he had burst into flame. I knew not what to do, and hit an elemental with a missle of force, and ran. As I know it, the elemental followed me, and burned everything up to the door. I then headed to my uncle Golock, and now I am here with you all. That is my story."

OOC: Was the gate still intact when Termix left? And for future reference, did it have a self-destruct button?(read: Order of the Stick)
Unread 2nd of June, 2006, 15:10
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:21 The Journal

Mikon's journal lies on top of the pile of papers on his desk. It includes his thoughts, administrative notes about his apprentices, and the daily minutia of runniing a household.

Gizerak and Termix read that Mikon was concerned. He had a sense that the balance of the plane ruled by the Fire Lord of Force seemed to be tilting more in favor of the evil forces of fire. He intended to commune with the inhabitants of the fire plane to investigate this.

An administrative note catches Termix's attention. The apprentice who was originally chosen to prepare the summoning ritual was replaced by another. The substitute was Hangyakunin. Termix hadn't thought about Hangyakunin recently, or any of the other apprentices for that matter, since they all seemed to die in the fire. Now he remembers something about him: Hangyakunin's family name was "Aikou."
Unread 3rd of June, 2006, 02:49
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Kierna's face becomes pale when Termix is finished. "Burned to a cinder? That is horrible."

She begins searching the room for secret exits, wondering if this might be a good place to rest without intrusion.

[Taking twenty on a Search check for a result of 23; automatic chance to notice any secret door, per elf racial description]
Unread 3rd of June, 2006, 03:02
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
While Kierna focuses her attention on the possibility of secret doors, Fugen focuses his attention on the obvious one. Having come into Mikon's chambers "backwards" it seemed, thus far, that Mikon hadn't thought of trapping doors in this direction, indicating that while he'd taken reasonable protective precautions (as indicated by the magical runes on the front door) he wasn't overly paranoid.

On the other hand, Termix's map had earlier indicated that there was a summoning chamber on the other side of the door out of this room, before getting to the library where Fugen really wanted to go. Surely there was some kind of protection to prevent whatever was brought into the summoning room from entering into Mikon's private chamber, but did that protection apply in the other direction?

Turning to Gizerak and Termix as they pour over Mikon's notes, Fugen asks them to check for the last time Mikon used the Upper Summoning Chamber.
Unread 3rd of June, 2006, 12:27
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

A look of terrible surprise, shock if you will, comes over Termix' face as he realizes this terrible thing. "Ah...........Ah........I, uh.......just remembered something............There was someone else who helped Master......His name was Hangyakunin..........Hangykunin Aikou......." Termix then grows speachless, completly forgetting the question that was relayed to him. He drops to the floor, disappointed at himself for not remembering this sooner. He is then obviously lost in thought.

Aikou.......Fire Lord of Force turning evil....along with his plane......why didn't Master tell me of this last one? Could it have been Hangykunin's fault that Master was engulfed in flame? Or was it something I did wrong?......So many questions that have no answers......

Termix has fallen to doubting himself, thinking that he was manipulated by Aikou, or possibly the deity he had followed so closely for so long. I can't believe this...He then looks to the skies, obviously praying to his god. Fire Lord of Force, did you betray me to become evil? Why would you do that to Master Mikon? To ME? Have you truely become evil, like Master had feared? Please tell me it isn't so. I can not go one following you until I KNOW you have stayed with your ways of good.

A single tear trickles down his face as he finishes up his plea to the only thing he had ever truely trusted.
Unread 3rd of June, 2006, 13:00
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Flarrgj has dropped down on the sleeping mat, his eye's open, but still esting. As he does so he lets his sight wander over the room, see's termix's distress, and fowns, bt does nothing. This is a personal battle in Flarrgjs eyes.
Unread 3rd of June, 2006, 21:12
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

5:22 Termix Reads On

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:22 Termix Reads On

Termix reads on.

The Fire Lord of Force is a diety of balance. He has worshipers that are righteous. Other worshipers are evil, such as the hobgoblin priest Zushath that they fought earlier. Some worshipers such as Mikon were not greatly interested in moral questions one way or the other. Just as the forces of good and evil contend with each other in the mortal world, so it is also on the plane of fire. Mikon had detected a gradual shift in the balance- with the evil elementals gaining prominence lately.

To investigate this, Mikon recorded that he planned to employ a spell of planar binding, supplemented by a dimensional anchor and a magic circle against evil reinforced with a magic sigal diagram. He would summon an evil elemental to interrogate it.

As was customary, he would employ an apprentice to draw the diagram. While Mikon could draw the diagram himself in a matter of minutes, he always chose instead to task an apprentice, who would require over three hours to achieve the same quality.

Mikon's notes do not reveal why the original assignment to draw the diagram was changed. The apprentice's name was crossed out and replaced with Hangyakunin.

In reply to Fugen's query, Gizerak and Termix cannot find any reference to the upper summoning chamber being used recently. It seems that any dangerous or adversarial summonings were always done in the lower chamber. Mikon did not want to summon a foe directly into his inner sanctum.

OOC:
There is a secret door in the room- but it is the trapdoor you came in through. If closed, It is invisible to the untrained eye from within the room.
Unread 4th of June, 2006, 00:53
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

"After reading on, I believe that Hangyakunin is the reason for Master Mikon's demise, if he is truely dead. Since he was to draw the sigil to reinforce the cirle against evil, and the elementals were not held, he did something wrong: either by accident or of his own accord. I am now highly worried about the Fire Lord of Force, and his plane. I fear that he has been overthrown by the evil elementals that were taking over his plane." Termix finishes with a look of dispair on his face. He then continues, answering Fugen's question at last. "Master did not use the upper summoning chamber often, and left the most dangerous summons to the lower chamber. It should be safe to go in there."
Unread 4th of June, 2006, 01:01
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Nodding his thanks, Fugen opens the door to the summoning chamber, but doesn't go through it immediately. Instead, he takes the time to look into the room without entering (shining his lantern into the room if necessary) just to double check and make sure it was safe.
Unread 5th of June, 2006, 20:52
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

5:23 Searching the Upper Level

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:23 Searching the Upper Level

A thorough search of the upper level reveals no more dangers. In the bedchamber, the summoning chamber, and the library they find a total of seven spell scrolls, five potions, 600gp in coin, and many valuable books and artworks. No spellbook, however.

Termix and Gizerak continue to study the journals of Mikon. One item of interest regards the phoera. According to Mikon's notes, the phoera should dissolve into smoldering ashes after death, and then be reborn one day later from the ashes. This might explain how they survived since the destruction of the tower without food. They may have starved to death and then been reborn- perhaps more than once.
Unread 5th of June, 2006, 21:30
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Linus looks around and stops for a second to think. It's no use. I still can't think straight. "Well, what shall we do next?" Linus takes out a coin and flips it up and down his knuckles, visibly concentrating on exercising his dexterity, and trying to wrest a little sense back from the earlier spell.
Unread 5th of June, 2006, 23:52
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

We should recover what we can of the books and art, Fugen thinks, We'll probably need a cart, however, to recover it all, so that will have to wait.

Having finished with the upstairs rooms, Fugen looks to the others and signs to ask if they're ready to check out the lower chambers.
Unread 6th of June, 2006, 01:06
treehouse

Kierna ponders out loud, "If the phoera will return in one day, would it not be best to move their ashes somewhere else, so we don't face them again tomorrow?"

She glances at Termix, and finishes the thought mentally -

And so he doesn't have to watch them die again.
Unread 7th of June, 2006, 05:07
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
Looking over the potions that were found, Gizerak tries carefully to identify them, in hopes that they are more healing potions. He also looks at the scrolls on the chance that they are spells of healing. Once he has determined what he can from the items, he turns to the others.

"Well, the day is still somewhat young. Shall we continue on like Fugen suggests? I think Kierna is correct that we should possibly try to move the Phoera's ashes to a place that is more secure."

"Termix, why don't you hold on to those scrolls for now, and we can quickly seperate the coin so that we can move on. Perhaps there is a cart down stairs that we will be able to use to take some of Mikon's posessions with us back to Golock's tower."

After speaking more than it seems he has for the whole day, Gizerak quickly looks over the others to see if their wounds are still bad enough that they should have more healing.

OOC: try to decipher what the potions are, via spellcraft checks or if that fails, just removing the stoppers and sniffing them or taking the slightest taste (as is suggested in the DMG, shouldn't waste the potion I hope. If it does, then I won't do that). Also, obviously check the scrolls. Depending on what I can figure out, I will likely cast more healin on Kierna and Flaargj.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
Unread 7th of June, 2006, 11:12
Exarzun
Spectre

Flarrgj, after resting for a second, goes up and grabs the chest, bringing it down and inspecting it.
Unread 7th of June, 2006, 12:02
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

"Ah, yes Flarrgj. Had quite forgot about that chest. I will, indeed, hold onto these scrolls for now, and try to decipher them a little later. I do think it might be ok to continue down into the bowels of the tower. I am, however, out of most of my offensive spells. Other than fire based ones..." Termix says the last sentence quitly, kicking himself in the butt for preparing flaming spheres instead of levitates.

OOC: If the pheora come back as chicks, Termix will suggest the following, unless he knows it will definately not work. I would also like to know how long it is from their death until their "rebirth". 24 hours exactly, or something close to a day?

"I would like to keep the ashes of one of the pheora near me this time tomorrow so when it rises, I am the first thing it sees. It may see me as a "mother" type figure, and I may be able to then train it, with some help. I have no experience with animals, as it stands."
Unread 7th of June, 2006, 20:50
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

5:24 Examining the Loot

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:24 Examining the Loot

All of the heroes are quite familiar with the taste of a healing potion by this point. Gizerak recognizes two of the potions right away with a quick sniff each.

Termix and Gizerak are able to research the purposes of the other potions and scrolls. The scrolls they decipher through careful reading. The potions they research in Mikonís journal and they consider the arcane labels on the stoppers.

Two of the remaining three potions are to endure elements. The last provides mage armor.
The scrolls contain the following spells: comprehend languages, darkvision, displel magic, fireball, undetectable alignment, and unseen servant.

While paging through Mikonís notes, Termix also finds mention of the phoera. Among other details that are already obvious now, he finds a description of an experiment that Mikon conducted where he killed a phoera to find out what would happen. The phoera dissolved into smoldering ashes, with an egg-like object of black glass in the middle. 24 hours later, the egg broke and a fully grown phoera sprang forth. The new phoera seemed to have no recollection of its former life.

Meanwhile Flarrgj goes up through the attic and back down to retrieve the chest. Once he hops back into the wizardís bedchamber with it, he looks it over carefully. It is exceptionally strong. It seems that the weight of the chest is mostly in its construction, which is heavy wood with iron reinforcements. It is locked, but the lock has a handle to turn to open it. No key is required. Strangely, as Flarrgj manhandled the chest across the attic, he thought that he felt something moving on its own inside.

Gizerakís medical assessment reveals that Kierna, Termix, and Flaargj are the most wounded.

OOC
4,5:24 (1d20=14, 1d20=2, 1d20=4, 1d20=5, 1d20=16, 1d20=16, 1d20=6, 1d20=17, 1d20=7, 1d20=17, 1d20=5, 1d20=6, 1d20=17, 1d20=6, 1d20=10, 1d20=5, 1d20=4, 1d20=3, 1d20=12, 1d20=4, 1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=14, 1d20=19, 1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=2, 1d20=1, 1d20=3, 1d20=9, 1d20=9, 1d20=10, 1d20=5, 1d20=13, 1d20=17, 1d20=9, 1d20=11, 1d20=15, 1d20=20, 1d20=15)

Although the player should have to specify, in this case I am assuming that Termix and Gizerak take 20 to identify the scrolls and potions. For the scrolls, both can figure them out with 20+ their skill mod (DMG p238). For the potions, Gizerak takes 20 to assist Termix. Termix takes 20 + his skill mod +2 from Gizerak assisting exceeds DC30 to identify the magic items (DMG p212)

Gizerak: The most wounded characters are Flarrgj, Kierna, and Termix. All of them are at 5hp each.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 02:36
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

"Well, the pheora birth from an egg-like peice of glass. So, should we shatter them to keep the pheora from being reborn, or just move them somewhere else? Mikon notes that they, though fully grown, have no memory of past events, so they wouldn't know anything about the tower. Also, Master notes that the peice of glass shatters when they are reborn. Maybe if we shatter it before its time it will emerge as a chick instead of a fully grown bird. Either way, these potions and scrolls should be quite useful."
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 07:30
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Not knowing anything about magical beasts, Fugen just shrugs at Termix's question.

Signing, Fugen asks again if the others are ready to head downstairs, now that they've had the chance to fully inspect the scrolls and potions.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 09:27
Exarzun
Spectre

Flarrgj frowns at the box, sighs, stands up and nods his readyness.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 09:36
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

As Termix puts away the scrolls, he continues speaking. "Give me a second to test my theory, and then we can be on our way."

Termix then goes and picks up one of the glass "eggs", and brings it to set on a table or chair. He then pulls out his quarterstaff, and smacks it, weilding the quarterstaff two-handed to help the probability of shattering the "egg". Termix then watches the effects, and then states his readyness.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 11:01
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:25 The Phoera Egg

Termix climbs back through the attic and down the stairs to the site of the closest phoera battle. As anticipated, he finds a pile of smoldering ashes lying in the shape of the phoera's body. In the middle of the pile is a heavy black glass egg, about 6 inches wide.

Termix returns upstairs and places the egg on the table next to the unopened chest.

His first strike from the staff does not break the egg, but chips it. He second blow shatters it into several pieces. A boiling, chunky red yoke spills out and fizzles away into a crust, leaving a sulfuric stench.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 11:11
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

"I'll wait until nightfall to try again. I'll try outside next time....So, downstairs we go?"

Termix seems to be anxious to go down into the bowels of his old school. He also has a slight look of dispair on his face, for he know he will have to kill more animals that he once tended.

Last edited by generaljimX; 8th of June, 2006 at 11:14.
Unread 8th of June, 2006, 13:58
treehouse

Kierna nods, though she noticeably winces as she moves to the door. The euphoria of battle has finally worn off, and she can now feel every burn and cut with exquisite accuracy.