Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 14th of March, 2006, 15:31
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
4:4 Encrusted

JIANGU! Chapter 4, Scene 4:4 Encrusted

As Kierna stands guard and Fugen gathers wood, Exarzun searches the chests. The third chest seems to have pre-dated the fire, and fell through to the kitchen when the upper floor collapsed. This chest contains various spices and sauce bottles, all now ruined by the extreme heat of the fire.

The chest of clothing and gear does not hold any surprises.

While digging through the first chest full of money, Flarrgj sees that it includes some gold and platinum, so the total value is probably higher than he first estimated. As he rakes through it, he also comes across some bracelets, necklaces, and other jewelry. Some of them are encrusted with gems. Others are encrusted with blood and hair.

Beneath the weight of coins and valuables, Flarrgj comes across a neatly folded sheet of parchment. All that Flarrgj can see is that it is covered with scribbles.
  #27  
Unread 14th of March, 2006, 16:26
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns in interust at the paper. He was never one for literacy, all history was passed down by word where he came from, but he knows this is strange. He walks over to Fugen, tapping him on the back to get his atention.

"Found paper in chest of gold."

He hands the paper to Fugen, then bothers himself looking around for something that he can use as a cart to carry back all the stuff.
  #28  
Unread 15th of March, 2006, 05:43
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Putting down the load of wood he's carrying on the pile with the rest, Fugen brushes his hands off and takes the paper that Flarrgj hands him. Carefully unfolding it, he attempts to figure out what it is.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #29  
Unread 15th of March, 2006, 17:52
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 4, Scene 4:5 Encrypted

The note is composed of letters from the common script, but they do not spell anything that Fugen can understand. At the bottom a fancy design has been crimped into the paper.

As an experienced courier, Fugen has carried notes written in code before. He suspects that this letter has been encrypted.

OOC: decipher script: can't be used untrained.
  #30  
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 05:26
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Looking over Fugen's shoulder, Gizerak can't make much sense of the cryptic note either.

"Fugen. I have no skill in deciphering such odd characters, but perhaps one of the others, maybe Linus has had experience in this area."

Waiting to see if Linus can figure out what the note says, Gizerak stands looking around the courtyard for some sort of wagon or cart that could be used to haul things back to the town.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #31  
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 08:18
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Nodding his agreement to Gizerak's suggestion after puzzling over the incomprehensible note for several minutes, Fugen hands the paper over to Linus and resumes collecting firewood.

As he continues to collect it occurs to him that Kierna seemed to know quite a bit about the woods. Maybe she would know how to track down the goblin who escaped and the pony he stole. If he and she headed out to get him while the others made their way back to town, they could probably be back by the time that Linus had recovered from whatever it was that the chest had done to him.

Making his way back inside again, Fugen explains his ideas to the others through Gizerak.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #32  
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 09:55
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj listens to Fugans plan and frowns, muddling over the plan. He says nothing at first but after thinking rumbles out;

"Shouldent waste things we found, i'm thinkink we bring back to town, that way give things to the people, and get healink for Linus, we return after this. I not seeing how goblin be problem, unless your wantink pony back..."

He finishes, seeming almost unsure of what he said himself, but steadfast in it's saying.
  #33  
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 10:04
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus takes the note and reads through it, hopefully being able to make sense of the writing.
  #34  
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 23:58
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
4:6 Deciphered

JIANGU! Chapter 4, Scene 4:6 Deciphered

Linus considers the document briefly, then amazingly is able to decipher it just by looking at it on the first try.

"Khogak's Platoon is ordered to accompany the priest Zushath to seize the tower of Mikon From this base secure the pass from Merak Hoi Province to Huoyanshan Province to prevent any traffic carrying news either direction Any messages that are intercepted must be sent to HQ immediately Do not display banners or signs of allegiance The platoon will perform this mission until relieved by the main force during the attack on Huoyanshan from Merak Hoi Show these orders to any leader of our army who questions your mission"

and the seal says "Qaid Aikou"

This recital is followed by a bought of hiccup-like laughter that is not at all amusing.

Meanwhile, the other heroes are not able to find any vehicle. The small cart that Termix remembers from the old days was reduced to ashes.

OOC
Wow! Natural 20. I thought for sure that Linus was going to have to take 20.
4,4:6 (1d20=20, 1d20=3, 1d20=12, 1d20=7, 1d20=2, 1d20=4, 1d20=3, 1d20=10, 1d20=16, 1d20=20)
  #35  
Unread 19th of March, 2006, 10:50
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
"So, um, should we get that goblin?"

OOC
Woot! Gotta love natural 20s!
  #36  
Unread 21st of March, 2006, 05:52
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Fugen nods an immediate agreement after hearing Linus' reading of the note, and leads the way back towards the mounts. If that goblin made it back to the larger force that the note implied he was a part of, they would be dealing with a lot more than a few rogue elementals in this tower before long.

Swinging up into the saddle, Fugen offers a spot to the halfling's whose pony was stolen in front of him while Kierna examines the tracks to tell them which way to go.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #37  
Unread 21st of March, 2006, 13:50
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj follows the others slightly confused. The whole situation was bad, he could tell that but, the others have a better graspe then himself. Still, it paines him to leave all that suplies, so he grabs as much of the platnum as he can comfortably carry before he sets off, moving the rest of the stuff into a neat stack in a corner.
  #38  
Unread 21st of March, 2006, 22:14
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
4:7 Kierna, Fugen, and Linus Set Off

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 4:7 Kierna, Fugen, and Linus Set Off

Picking the rare platinum pieces out of the pile of coins is slow work, particularly in the dim morning light. Flarrgj has only found 2 of them when he hears the hoofbeats of Fugen and Kierna's horses as they leave without him.

Kierna, Fugen, and Linus set off. Since the goblin is mounted, he could only follow the trail down to the highway, or possibly take the alternate route that the henchmen rejected earlier. Kierna confirms that the hoofprints lead down the main trail.



OOC
DC 15 (firm ground). Kierna rolls 16+mods to track.

Tracking speed? full speed= -5

4,4:7 (1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=6, 1d20=17, 1d20=16, 1d20=2, 1d20=7, 1d20=14, 1d20=8, 1d20=12)

Sorry, Exarzun. Fugen's OOC post said he was only planning on a 3 person search party. Flarrgj could probably catch up to them if he wanted to.

Last edited by crueldespot; 21st of March, 2006 at 22:16.
  #39  
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 05:05
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Seeing Flaargj hurrying to go with the others, Gizerak speaks up quickly.

"Flaargj! Don't go. Let's wait here for the others to return. Help me turn the balista again. Termix. Can you close the gate? Let's prepare ourselves for an attack. Once we're done, I'll head up above to watch for their return."

Once he's got the others working to get the compound defendable, Gizerak climbs a ladder to take a position atop the wall. Hopefully, he will be able to see Fugen, Kierna, and Linus as they approach.

OOC: going to get the balista rigged again to act as a trap on the door. then we need to work to bind the prisoners and prepare a defense incase the others aren't successful in catching the goblin.
  #40  
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 07:52
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
After Kierna confirms the direction the goblin took, Fugen signals for the others to keep an eye out for the goblin, but that they shouldn't stop moving until they reach the main path unless they spot the goblin. He then proceeds to push the horses down the path as fast as they can manage.

[OOC: Fugen is assuming that the goblin, having chosen the main path, stuck to it and thus Kierna doesn't need to check the tracks until they reach the highway (where the goblin once again has a choice of path). He's therefore pushing them to hustle down the trail. Thus Kierna has a -20 modifier to track while they are moving. If she loses them though, Fugen won't stop. However, they will stop completely at the highway to allow Kierna to find and check the tracks again. Of course, if they spot the goblin before then, then its just a matter of following him by sight.]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #41  
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 13:40
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
Termix does his best to close the doors. If he can't do it alone, he asks for Flarrgj's help. Termix also tries to re-rig the trap. Finally, he loads his crossbow, and prepares for trouble.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #42  
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 13:44
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj stops finaly understanding. He helps the others with the ballista then goes back to sorting the gold.
  #43  
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 15:39
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
4:8 The Horses Down The Path

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 4:8 The Horses Down The Path

Kierna and Fugen with Linus tear down the mountain path to the highway. They do not see the goblin, but with his considerable head start there is no way they could have caught up with him yet if he was still mounted on a pony.

Once they get down to the intersection, Kierna is unable to make out the pony's tracks. Then again, this is the site of their earlier battle with the first goblin squad and there are many tracks on the highway, which is a difficult surface for tracking anyway.



OOC:
Hard ground on the highway- DC20. Kierna rolls a 5+mods to track.
  #44  
Unread 23rd of March, 2006, 00:26
Andorax's Avatar
Andorax
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1481
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 176 (0.04 per day)
"Brela-kesh" Kierna murmurs under her breath...sounding like it may well be an Elven curse of some sort. "I can't tell which way from here. Split up to pursue all courses?"
  #45  
Unread 25th of March, 2006, 02:23
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Fugen considers for a moment, then nods to note his agreement. However, he quickly signs a bit to modify the idea, a veritable feat considering that Linus is seated in front of him and has to translate for Kierna.

He suggests that they continue the pursuit for no more than an hour and a half and then return to meet here at the base of the road to Mikon's tower. Only one of them was going to find the goblin and if they couldn't do it in under an hour, then it was likely that the other had done so. The last thing they wanted was for the one who was on the wild goose chase to end up looking forever.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #46  
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 03:46
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
4:9 Fugen and Linus find the pony

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 4:9 Fugen and Linus find the pony

Riding fast, Fugen and Linus travel less than 15 minutes before they round a corner and find their lost pony. The pony is still saddled, but riderless. It is walking down the road heading north by itself.

This section of highway heads gently downhill, with a steep upward slope on the right and an even steeper slope, almost a cliff, downward to the left. Both slopes are lightly wooded, with trees about ten feet apart and very little underbrush. Ascending to the right would require one to climb on hands and knees. Climbing down to the left would be even trickier.



OOC:
Climbing up to the right: DC10
Climbing down to the left: DC15.
  #47  
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 03:57
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Dismounting and drawing his sling, Fugen helps Linus down so that he can retrieve his pony's reins. In the mean time, Fugen carefully scans the hillside above and below the trail for signs of the goblin.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #48  
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Fugen looks high and low, but sees no trace of the goblin.
  #49  
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 23:07
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.86 per day)
Linus moves towards the pony quickly, but keeping an eye out for traps or goblins. He leads the pony back toward Fugen and the horse, one hand on the reins, one hand on his rapier.
  #50  
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 01:50
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Signing, Fugen asks Linus if he sees any sign of the goblin.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren