Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 13th of January, 2006, 02:29
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
But, as I said IC, they would be alert to "intruders" if we wait a whole day.

As per walking or riding, it doesn't matter to me either way. I think we should go about half way, wait a while, then continue, getting there about 30 or so minutes after the sun comes up.
Unread 13th of January, 2006, 03:03
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
While they might be alert to intruders, they also wouldn't all be in the same place.

Which do you prefer, getting the drop on all the goblinoids at once while they're holed up in a defensable position (the tower) or allowing them to become aware of our presense to split them up?
Unread 13th of January, 2006, 03:43
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

You do have a point......
I'm kinda indifferent now. I see the advantages of both sides, and disadvantages. A group vote maybe?
Unread 13th of January, 2006, 03:59
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Hrm. Your point is well-taken, but I still think we should hit during the day today. Sure they'll send out another patrol that we can take out and then go forward, but that gives those in the tower warning that we're out here and allows them to prep for intruders.
Unread 13th of January, 2006, 10:15
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
I say we ambush the second patroll, then wait even longer, because that woulud have a demoralizing effect of "What the fuck is killing off our squads like this?" Let em cook in the pot a little bit if you know what i mean.
Unread 14th of January, 2006, 16:53
Exarzun
Spectre

Ehem, can i safely assume the prisoner goblin has been exicuted? I'm pretty sure i hit (coup de grace) but i'd like confermation from god...
Unread 15th of January, 2006, 15:48
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
Sure they'll send out another patrol
You guys keep saying that. Would you?

and yes, the goblin is dead.
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 10:28
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

In reply to your last statement, CD - no, I wouldn't. On a different note, I hate being put in this kind of position. I (out of game) am not a leader, yet I've kinda "taken charge", if you will, a couple of times now. I guess its the spontinaity of Termix shining through.
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 12:18
Exarzun
Spectre

That and we are really in a difficult situation... i really got nothing.
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 21:48
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

This is really getting frustrating for me. You guys have been hanging out in front of the castle for over a week now. They are frikiin goblins, for Christ's sake. I'm not saying there is no place for strategy. You guys already snuck up to the fort without alerting them, and ambushed almost half of them, and you are planning to take out the sentries discreetly. How much more strategy do you need? Everyone is waiting for someone else to take charge. Nobody wants to be a leader. Well, then you guys can just sit there. Somebody email me once one of you changes your mind and decides to take charge.
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 23:18
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I thought Linus' direction to Kierna was pretty straightforward, but I'll post IC again.
Unread 21st of January, 2006, 01:46
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Fugen's not a ranged attacker, so he's not really in a position to take out the sentries. Also, I don't like enforcing other player's characters to take certian actions.

However, Fugen has expressed his opinion of what should be done, and other party members have agreed with him (i.e. snipe the sentries). At this point, I'm waiting on some one capable of doing so to start shooting. Sure there's been talk of other possibilities, but the general concensus seems to be to start with the sniping.

By my count:
4 group members have agreed with the idea of sniping the sentries (myself, Mercutio, trendel, & generaljimX)
1 has expressed dissatisfaction with that plan (Exarzun)
1 hasn't posted since we arrived at the gate (Andorax)

I think the real problem is that the character best equiped to do the actual sniping (Kierna) is controled by the player who isn't posting (Andorax). Its not a question of no one leading, as we've established a course of action by concensus. CD, I think that this is a point where you, as the DM, need to step in and decide whether the sniping is something that Kierna would agree to do. If it is, then have her do it. If it isn't, then have her state so and then the rest of us can come up with another plan. Expecting a player to infringe on another player's character is unrealistic.

Oh, and on the issue of whether I'd send out another patrol when one didn't return. Since the only thing the goblins would know is that their ambush party hasn't returned (they don't know it was attacked and destroyed), I believe that while they wouldn't send out another ambush party, they would send out some sort of scouting patrol to figure out what had happened. Personally, if I was ordering that mission, I'd compose it of the replacement ambush party plus at least half of the remaining guards and instruct them to split into two groups and remain off the regular trail. They'd also have strict orders not to engage anything they find unless engaged first, and to report back at the first sign of trouble. But that's just me.

The only way I'd not send out a scouting patrol is if I had a way to magically figure out what had happened (and thus don't need to put the lives of more men in danager just to find out why some of my men didn't come back).
Unread 22nd of January, 2006, 10:33
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

It seems that now the group has agreed on a course of action. Unfortunately, the course of action depends on the one player who is not active.

We don't normally post on weekends anyway, so I will give Andorax until Monday at least to respond.

As far as the goblins' thinking is concerned, I will wait until after the adventure to discuss that.

Reviewing my last post, I see that I lost my temper and I apologize. I seem to have developed a bad habit of flying off the handle recently (not just here). Thanks for your indulgence.
Unread 23rd of January, 2006, 11:50
Exarzun
Spectre

Really? i felt like i was stepping out of line by being indesisive...
Unread 25th of January, 2006, 12:08
Andorax
Ghoul

Member: #1481
Sorry about the delay....ready and willing to snipe.
Unread 25th of January, 2006, 12:53
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Scene 3 is now posted: LINK -> http://www.online-roleplaying.com/fo...ead.php?t=5617

Welcome back, Andorax. Unfortunately, or fortunately in this case, I had already resolved the installment before I saw his post. I had predicted he would use an action point, since he is usually pretty careful about that.
Unread 25th of January, 2006, 23:32
Andorax
Ghoul

Member: #1481
My own fault for lack of activity. As I recall, that was my last action point, too....worthy expendature.

The only thing I'd have done different is that Kierna would have tried a Rapid Shot to take them both out at once, so as to prevent the listen check that, luckily, failed.

Will try to post actively again...and apologies for the lack of activity recently. There's been a *lot* going on on this end of things.
Unread 26th of January, 2006, 16:14
Exarzun
Spectre

Hmmm i can try and break it down.

Also, i dont like that bow thingi pointing towords the door.
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 02:58
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

If the door is braced properly (as the lack of slack would seem to indicate) then its doubtful that Flarrgj will be able to shoulder the gate. It would probably take a proper battering ram to force it open. I think we're better off having someone climb the wall and opening the door from the inside (assuming they can do so without alerting the goblins).

Oh, and CD, you'll let me know how long it takes Fugen to take care of the horses, relative to the other's actions?
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 03:03
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Linus isn't much of a climber, but the same idea crossed my mind. Hopefully the goblins won't be alerted since their spot and listen checks should be abysmal (provided they're actually asleep).
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 03:06
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Maybe a halfling toss can solve the climbing problem?
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 04:46
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I'm not sure Linus would much like the idea of being hurled over a castle wall into the den of dozens of goblins...
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 05:31
Exarzun
Spectre

Oh come on, you know you wanna try... getting hurled over a wall into the fortress full of goblins and probably fire elemntals? What could go wrong!?
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 06:58
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Well, if that's the only way to do it, then I might be game for it. But let's try to figure something else out first.
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 07:50
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

We may not have to climb over at all. I, rather Termix, has a scroll of knock on his person. As long as its two or less types of barring, and not a large door, it may work. If not, I'm out of ideas.

CD, how big is the door? What I want exactly is the height and width of the door.