Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 10th of August, 2006, 07:51
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
"He did activate some kind of trap on one of the chests we found." Termix replies to Kierna. "I think that's the key thing that's wrong with him. I don't know what we could do to help it, though."
Unread 11th of August, 2006, 00:29
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
When Golock asks if there is anything else that needs discussing, the halfling priest recalls another detail.

"Sir, I nearly forgot one bit of information. We had found a slip of paper written in code. It appears that it was from General Aikou, and it's contents led us to believe that he was preparing to mount an invasion force into the central provinces several months ago. So it appears that his recent actions may not be in reaction to the haunting of the Imperial Palace as that only occurred a little over a month ago."

When it is noted that Linus is feeling ill, Gizerak looks quickly in his direction.

"Let me take a look at him."

Gizerak leads Linus to the barracks, and begins to check him out. Consulting his training, he attempts make a diagnosis as to what is affecting his companion.

OOC: Does Gizerak recognize the symptoms of cackle fever? Also, see my question in the OOC thread about the remove curse scroll.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---

Last edited by trendel; 11th of August, 2006 at 00:34.
Unread 11th of August, 2006, 02:30
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
While obviously Gizerak's concern for Linus was important, Fugen was nevertheless a little annoyed that his messages for Golock hadn't been relayed. So, with both of the halflings out of the room, he resorts to a form of communication that Golock will understand, the written word.

As he is taking out his writing materials, Fugen also finds the wanted poster which he had retrieved from Shen and hands it over along with his note for Golock to see.

We also found Zauchan clan medalions on several of the hobgoblins at Mikon's tower. According to one of the goblins that we interrogated, they had been recruited by Akiou. I wanted to interogate the lone hobgoblin who survived our assault, but his injuries were serious and Gizerak was only willing to commit a minor healing spell to his recovery. As a result, he was a long time in regaining conciousness. Too long, as it turned out, because a pair of magma mephits found our prisoners while we were exploring Mikon's tower and burned them all to death.

However, given that Zauchan is my birth province, I was wondering if you had heard anything from that area recently that might shed some light on the situation. My oath's as a courier may have sundered any official tie to the province I had, but letting go of the emotions one attaches to one's family is not so easy.

Also, when we passed through the village of Shen we came across this poster. It seems that Flarrgj engaged in some less than appropriate behavior before entering your employ. I also fear that his actions in Shen, and some of what was said and done by others in the group may reflect less than favorably on you. For that, I apologize on their behalf.
Unread 11th of August, 2006, 06:35
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
6:16 Current Events

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:16 Current Events

Once Golock reads Fugen’s question, he stands and walks over towards a large tapestry map. “You’ve been out in the boondocks, so you haven’t been able to stay informed on current events. I suppose I should make sure you know what is going on and where I stand with it, since you will be representing me.”

“It has been almost a month since the emperor disappeared when the palace became haunted. This has created a power vacuum, and several factions have formed to contend for the fate of the empire.”

“The first faction maintains that the emperor might still be alive. It is composed of the surviving government ministers of the current regime. They intend to continue governing in his name. They have created a committee of senior ministers to make executive decisions and appoint replacements for the ministers that didn’t survive. This faction is known as the ‘Interim Government’. The leaders are located here in Ichiba and in Dujing.”

“Their main rivals are relatives of the emperor who argue that he is dead and who hope to replace him. The current emperor did not yet have any male heirs, so there is some room to argue about who has the best claim to the throne. A few imperial uncles and cousins have staked their claims and are marshalling support. I call these the ‘Bloodline factions’.”

“Qa’id Aikou is another case. As Termix and Kierna discovered when they were prisoners in his fortress, he has invaded neighboring territories, supposedly 'restoring order' in the name of the emperor."

"The Zauchan clan is affiliated with Aikou, though the nature of their alliance is unclear. According to your report, they are providing him with some veterans to lead goblin mercenaries. What other work are they doing for Aikou? And what do they gain in return? This remains to be seen."

"Aikou controls all the land beyond the mountains from Merak Hoi to Anmi and then along the coastal plain as far south as his Zauchan allies. On this side of the mountains he has a foothold in YanFan territory right across the Swift River from us."

"The Traditional Pantheonist Church supports the Interim government, but some of the priests are backing other factions anyway."

Looking at the military picture, the imperial army has, or had, six regiments. The first regiment was garrisoned in Dian province, so it was wiped out by the haunting. The second regiment was located in Aikou, and had some sort of pre-arranged deal to join forces with Qa'id Aikou. The third regiment guarded the lower Bronze river valley." Golock indicates the area around FanRong province. It's commander is one of those imperial uncles who claims the throne, so the third regiment belongs to a bloodline faction. The fifth regiment is loyal to the interim government, but they are in distant Shamaal." He points to the far northwest. "Hmm. The fourth and sixth regiments are stationed in Shajaraat and Sokhoor. Their loyalty is not yet decided. Each faction is also supported by the militias of various clans, and they are all building their forces. The refugees crisis provides a lot of prospective recruits."

"The message you intercepted is an important clue. Good work! I draw the opposite conclusion than you did. This confirms for me that Aikou was involved in the haunting. Aikou could never have invaded other provinces while the emperor was in power, so his preparations prove that he had forknowledge."

"So that is the situation. Keep an eye out for spies from the other factions. I'm not telling you my plans or everything I know in case one of the other factions gets a chance to read your mind."

"As far as your loyalty is concerned, I trust your committment to the empire over any competing sympathies. As long as we are striving to restore the emperor and preserve the empire, you must put lesser sentiments aside."

"I couldn't care less about Flarrgj and his shenanigans before I hired him. I think it is funny. Whenever one of their maidens embarrasses them they have to declare a blood feud. Damned villagers get on my nerves. Besides, it helps ad to my fearsome mystique."

"Now I've spent enough time talking to you. I need to get back to work on the golem. I'll interview the new henchman candidate in the morning. Otherwise, don't bug me unless it is really important."

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of August, 2006 at 06:44.
Unread 12th of August, 2006, 02:29
trendel
Wight

After being dismissed by Golock, Gizerak goes back to make sure that Linus is doing ok.

Realizing that he can't yet call upon the power of the Four Royals to heal Linus of his ailment, Gizerak does what he can, making sure that every precaution is taken to help his companion recover.

While he waits out the sickness, and while not tending directly to Linus, the priest checks up on Termix. Some of the others had noted that he seemed under some adverse affect since the exploration of Mikon's tower.

After making sure that the mage didn't appear to be under the affects of a disease similar to Linus, Gizerak decides to make use of the scroll that they retrieved of the hobgoblin cleric.

Holding the scroll before himself, he intones the spell, hoping that the spell removes whatever seems to be bothering Termix.

OOC: Help Linus via heal checks, hopefully allowing him to pass his saves vs. the disease. Once he recovers, I plan to cast several Restorations on him to undo any ability damage.

Use scroll of Remove Curse on Termix

Unread 12th of August, 2006, 02:46
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Bowing to acknowledge his thanks to Golock for his explination, Fugen continues to study the map for some time after Golock is gone.
Unread 12th of August, 2006, 06:54
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Termix retreats to his study, having nothing of import to tell the greater wizard. He begins studying the scrolls they have found, and then making some of his own. He thanks Gizerak when he uses a scroll on him, feeling better immediately, though he had quite gotten used to the effects of his "ailment".
Unread 12th of August, 2006, 14:10
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:17 Linus is Trapped in an Endless Nightmare

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:17 Linus is Trapped in an Endless Nightmare

Gizerak attempts to help Linus, but he doesn’t know how to prevent his fellow halfling from further succumbing to cackle fever. By the next morning, Linus is trapped in an endless nightmare from which he cannot awaken. He tosses and turns, senseless.

After Nimdor’s interrogation, the henchmen are able to take their cart laden with loot into Ichiba to sell. The bulk commodities such as spices and salt net 300 gold pieces. The ten yards of silk bring in another 100. The jewelry fetches 330 more gold. They have no trouble selling the weapons and armor. The agents of the Interim government’s ministry of war are building their stockpile The henchmen cannot find buyers for the moldy food, or the corporal insignia (which is a different design than the insignia of the interim government army). Otherwise, they are able to find buyers for everything including the cart and horses, for a grand total of 1,980 gold plus 2 silver pieces.

OOC
4,6:17 (1d20=5, 1d20=7, 1d20=9, 1d20=4, 1d20=11, 1d20=7, 1d20=6, 1d20=19, 1d20=20, 1d20=14, 1d20=3, 1d20=11, 1d20=2, 1d20=1, 1d20=16, 1d20=1, 1d20=1, 1d20=8, 1d20=11, 1d20=15)
Linus roll to recover 5+mod vs DC16 fails. Gizerak roll to heal 7+mods vs DC16. Fails. Linus takes d6=2. Wisdom reduced to zero.

The sooner I get revised character sheets, the sooner we can start the next adventure. I haven’t gotten one finished sheet yet. I am hereby setting a deadline of MONDAY NIGHT for your revised character sheets, reflecting your new XP levels.

Current XP
Fugen =7236
Flarrgj 6436
Gizerak =6623
Kierna =9404
Linus =4761
NImdor=3210
Termix =7330
Unread 14th of August, 2006, 12:06
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
"So, for those of you I haven't yet met, my name is Nimdor Shiha, and I just joined your group. I will be aiding you in all sorts of predicaments. My talents lie in my silver tongue and my nimble fingers."

At that last sentence, he smiles broadly.
Unread 14th of August, 2006, 21:36
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Kierna nods at him, though she stays near Linus' sickbed rather than getting up to greet him. "Welcome. I am Kierna, tracker and markswoman."
Unread 14th of August, 2006, 22:06
trendel
Wight

"It's a pleasure to meet you in a situation that is a bit more comfortable, especially for you", Gizerak says with a wink. "I am Gizerak, the Favored of Sha-gaat. May the blessing of the Four Royals be upon you as you travel with us."

Like Kierna, as soon as the pleasantries are finished, Gizerak returns to Linus's bedside, hoping to find a way to ease his condition. Wracking his brain to remember what he had learned of cackle fever during his training, Gizerak paced back and forth throughout most of the day. After several hours of thought, he recalls a bit of information that he had been told and quickly goes off to pray.

When the next morning dawns, Gizerak wakes and moves to the bedside of his stricken friend. He reaches out his hands over Linus's inert form and begins a prayer to his deity. As the prayer finishes, the dust motes in the air seem to coalesce and take on the shape of a giant earth colored bear. The dust drifts down and settles over Linus. Gizerak quickly begins two more prayers, though they bring with them less visual proof that they are working.

OOC: prepare Bear's Endurance (+4 con enhance bonus, hopefully translates to +2 to Fort save), Resistance (+1 resist bonus to saves), and Guidance (+1 competence bonus to saves). Cast them on Linus the next day. Hopefully the last two will have an effect, since they only last one minute each.

Last edited by trendel; 14th of August, 2006 at 22:31.
Unread 15th of August, 2006, 04:11
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
"What's wrong with him? He seems to be fighting some kind of very strong illness, not a common sort."
Unread 15th of August, 2006, 07:04
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

"I know not what afflicts him, but our good priest Gizerak should." Termix says, stepping in the door. "I'm Termix, and I'm a wizard just like my grandfather, who you have obviously met. He's quite a bit stronger than me, but I do hope to acceive his level of greatness some day." Though the look on his face is a slight smile as he offers his hand to the new halfling, his red eyes give off a mischivous vibe. He is perhaps special in some way.
Unread 15th of August, 2006, 10:45
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:18 Linus Recovers

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:18 Linus Recovers

Gizerak wracks his brain for naught, since he has never had any medical training in his life. He attempts some imaginative therapies, including tickling and drinking water (as if it were hiccups), butter-soaked bandages, stretching the limbs, and a diet of mashed fish. Despite his best efforts, Linus eventually fights off the infection and recovers on his own.

Once Linus’ fever has broken, Gizerak is somewhat helpful in his care. He provides Linus with conversation to help him regain his senses.

it is the third day of Midsummer before Linus fully recovers after nine days of illness.

And so the expedition to Mikon’s tower was concluded, with all of the participants surviving. This is the second adventure accomplished without the loss of any henchmen. All of the inhabitants of the dreaded tower celebrate their good fortune.

Their well-earned vacation does not last forever. The day after Linus recovers, they are summoned to hear about their next assignment.

OOC
4,6:18 (1d20=11, 1d20=8, 1d20=11, 1d20=4, 1d20=6, 1d20=10, 1d20=5, 1d20=4, 1d20=12, 1d20=15, 1d20=16, 1d20=12, 1d20=7, 1d20=1, 1d20=11, 1d20=11, 1d20=7, 1d20=14, 1d20=8, 1d20=13)

I will compromise and allow the use of bear’s endurance, even though it doesn’t last all day, but not the even shorter-duration spells.

25th of early summer: Linus fort save 11. Gizerak heal roll 8. Gizerak long term care attempt 11.
All fail. Linus regains 1 pt (+4 owed from previously) and loses 4. Net gain of 1. Regains consciousness with wisdom of 1.
26th of early summer: Linus fort save 4. Gizerak heal roll 6. Gizerak long term care attempt 10.
All fail. Linus regains 1 pt and loses 3. Back to nightmares.
27th of early summer: Linus fort save 5. Gizerak heal roll 4. Gizerak long term care attempt 12.
Long term care succeeds. Linus regains 2 pts and loses 2. Still at zero wisdom.
28th of early summer: Linus fort save 15. Gizerak heal roll 16. Linus regains 2 pts. Wisdom 2.
29th of early summer: Linus fort save 12. Gizerak heal roll 7. Linus fights off diseas. Linus regains 2 pts per day. Fully healed by the 3rd day of Midsummer.

Linus and Gizerak agreed to rent their ponies for 5gp per week. They return them within a week, so they do not owe any more rent. They can now purchase the ponies (or other mounts) for the normal price.

Your next adventure begins HERE