Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > David's Games > Kingdom of Danleb

Unread 18th of February, 2009, 11:20
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
I've begun working on scout/ranger type character. She's still in the building process, been writing down possible advantages/perks and the like and figuring out what I might want to keep and toss the rest.

Weapon Mastery permitted?
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 12:47
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #3238
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you guys, been busy at work.

Shoelip: Sorry, but Lando pretty much nailed it.

Lando: I agree that in real life the western style combat forms such as savete[sp?] and Pancreatia [sp?] are as well developed as the better known eastern martial art forms. In the Kingdom of Danleb, unfortunately, there are no well developed unarmed combat forms. All this means, mechanics wise, is that the Judo and Karate skills and the advanced rules from GURPS martial arts are not available while Brawling and Wrestling are.

Shoelip: Basically what this means for you is that your character will not do quite as much damage with his bare hands to start with, and will not be able to parry a weapon bare handed yet. I see your character as having the most advanced instruction in unarmed combat available in the kingdom, and a desire to learn more. This means that when the opportunity is made available to him, he will be a quick study in the new forms.

Lando: Sorry, weapon mastery, as well as trained by a master, is not available at this time.
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 12:58
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Believe you meant Vortigern instead of me concerning the MA talk. I do have the 3rd edition MA books in pdf, but haven't ever used them.

Originally Posted by David # Lando: Sorry, weapon mastery, as well as trained by a master, is not available at this time.
What's the reason for no weapon mastery? So I can't be like "Robin Hood" and be pretty awesome with a bow?

That leaves more points for other things then. I'll likely inquire some more as I progress through things.

Taking the talents Animal Friend and Outdoorsman as they seem appropriate. Also are you going to post the info on Chuul?

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 18th of February, 2009 at 13:01.
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 13:11
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
Ok, sounds cool to me!

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 13:33
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Lando: Oops, you are correct. There are areas in the world that have the level of training for Weapon mastery and Trained by a master, Danleb sadly is not one of them. The Chuul info should be up tomorrow night.

Last edited by David; 18th of February, 2009 at 13:37.
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 14:10
GeekEclectic
Zombie

Member: #1978
Someone already chose the scout/wilderness survival concept.

That being said, I'm thinking of my character in 3 life stages:
-- Originally, she was the daughter of a minor noble. Her parents died while she was between 12 and 14. This stage of her life would leave her with some knowledge of proper noble customs and dress. But she's grown a lot since then, so even if she had been seen by many nobles they wouldn't really recognize the lady who used to be the gawky preteen girl. So no contacts.

--Her parents died of some illness or other. Maybe her father died in combat, but her mother definitely died of illness. Anyway, her minor house overextended itself and had incurred a lot of debt. To pay its debts, the house was essentially gutted and disenfranchised, leaving her on the street. She spent the rest of her youth and part of her young adulthood as basically a street rat (think Aladdin from the Disney movie). Scrounging and hanging out with other parent-lacking youths. From this stage of her life, she'd have some survival skills, minor combat skills, skills useful for theft and evasion, stuff like that. I'm thinking she might also have some skill at disguise since she'd have to fake being someone else from time to time since it's not like she could totally flee the area. She'd still maintain a contact or two from this period of her life.

--Finally, her adulthood so far. She gained more proficiency with whatever weapon(s) she uses and now uses her abilities to catch, gut, and skin animals. She trades the products and is more-or-less an honest minor businesswoman, though not with the guild. She still retains many of her skills (hey, they help with tracking silently and stuff), but yeah -- she's pretty much grown out of her thieving days. She'll know some merchants who'll do business with her, though obviously her little business won't make her very rich. Oh, she will have a wagon in which she lives and a horse (though not one that's combat-worthy) to pull it.

So there you have it. Her skills would focus more on urban stuff, with just enough wilderness skills to make a basic living at tracking animals (12 is basic job level). Not high enough to outdo a professional scout / wilderness survival expert. But enough to do her job and not die. I'm going to go through Fantasy tonight and see if I can find some good templates to help me pick appropriate skills and advantages for this concept.

Sound ok so far? Any suggestions?
Unread 22nd of February, 2009, 05:14
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

GeekEclectic: Sounds good.
Suggestions:
Language(Akali) Native Native and any level of literacy you prefer.
Cultural Familiarity (Kingdom of Danleb)
Wealth of Wealthy to afford horse and wagon. Or trade points for money.
Base money is $750, a horse costs $1200 and I need to lookup the price for a wagon, but assume at least $600 but probably more.
As far as weapons go: Spears are fairly common; Various types of Axes are very common; swords are a little hard to get, but not bad; Bows are very rare and expensive. Bronze is the standard metal, but even it is not plentiful. Iron is more expensive, but available.
The most common hunting weapon is the spear and javelin. Spear throwers (The tool, like the woomera) are unknown in the kingdom.
Home town could be any of the seven major Cities, or one of the small towns.
Unread 22nd of February, 2009, 07:43
GeekEclectic
Zombie

I've thought about my concept some, and would like to make some changes:
Background -- started out poor; no ex-noble portion of her bg; worked her way up through performance talent and sometimes performs at noble functions. I'm drawing inspiration from the Bard, Courtesan, and Thief templates from Fantasy.
Weapons -- staff and knife, w/ a technique for each of them that makes sense in-character. I'm not so much worried about hunting anymore. There's already someone in the group who can fill that role just fine, I think.
Wealth -- Probably wealthy. Horse & cart are a maybe. Dunno if I want her to travel very much/far. Could probably get one if needed later if she doesn't have one now.

So some Q's:
What kind of instruments are there in Danleb?
What kind of knowledge skills / area knowledge advantages would make sense for a bard-type in Danleb?
What other kind of performance skills make sense in Danleb? Like acting, storytelling, dancing, singing, poetry recitation, etc.
Unread 22nd of February, 2009, 07:53
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Sorry to nit pick but I just wanted to point out that bronze is actually harder than iron. Iron was just widely used later in history than bronze because iron ore was easier to find than copper and tin.

Unread 22nd of February, 2009, 18:50
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Yes, I know that. In the GURPS system Iron is stronger, not harder, then bronze.
This means that, for example, a bronze sword is more likely to break when parrying an iron sword.
Unread 22nd of February, 2009, 20:26
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Yeah, I know Rock<Bronze<Iron etc is a RPG convention and all that. Like I said, I was just nick picking. Like how the D&D longsword is actually a broadsword, while the real longsword was more like a slightly large bastard sword.

Unread 23rd of February, 2009, 19:01
GeekEclectic
Zombie

I've got my character built. Social monster w/ some utility skills. The forum won't let me attach a GCA file to my post, so I'll type up the character in my private thread later, ok.
Unread 24th of February, 2009, 02:38
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
My private thread appears to be locked. If that could be fixed it would be ... helpful. Also I'm curious how far you got with the statting you were doing? Is there any other decision making that I can assist with?

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 25th of February, 2009, 15:13
GeekEclectic
Zombie

In case you haven't seen it yet, my char is posted to my private thread. I'm not sure how much of our stats and stuff it's okay to share with others (I have a 15 in X, X, and X as opposed to "my character is socially capable"), so put it there instead of here to be safe.
Unread 28th of February, 2009, 04:14
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Vortigern: Try accessing your thread again.
Unread 28th of February, 2009, 04:19
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

GeekEclectic: You are welcome to share any information you wish regarding your character.
I have been trying to stay away from stats and numbers when discussing characters here for two main reasons:
First, several players have little to no prior experiance with GURPS.
And Second: I wanted to use descriptive referances in order to get a better idea of what people wanted rather then numbers.

Regarding GCA character files: If you have a web based file hosting service (Like Microsoft Skydrive) you can add a link to the file in your post.
Since I use GCA a copy of the file would be usfull, otherwise I can just rebuild the character myself.

Last edited by David; 28th of February, 2009 at 05:18.
Unread 28th of February, 2009, 05:18
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

GeekEclectic:
What kind of instruments are there in Danleb?
See the setting info thread. I just added a short note on the topic.

What kind of knowledge skills / area knowledge advantages would make sense for a bard-type in Danleb?
Area Knowledge (Kingdom of Danleb)
Area Knowledge (Akali Plains) but rare in the kingdom
Area Knowledge (Any smaller area such as specific city or town)
Cultural Familiarity (Kingdom of Danleb)

And depending upon how well traveled:
Cultural Familiarity (Zehir)
Cultural Familiarity (M'Bali)
Cultural Familiarity (Corinth)
Cultural Familiarity (Chuul)
Cultural Familiarity (Morning Raise)

What other kind of performance skills make sense in Danleb? Like acting, storytelling, dancing, singing, poetry recitation, etc.
Dancing is common. All levels of society enjoy dances.
Sining and musical instruments are both used.
Danleb has a mostly oral tradition so Storytelling is a prized skill.
Plays are used by some to tell the stories of history, so there are a few professional actors.
Poetry is a fine medium for a bard in Danleb.
Unread 28th of February, 2009, 15:01
GeekEclectic
Zombie

Sharing time!

Sophia Leandros -- master of the performing arts and aspiring socialite!
She has most of the skills used for influence rolls(the GURPS equivalent to D&D's "gather information" checks, only a bit broader) and the performing arts, and her sex appeal and singing voice are both through the roof!

You will love her when -- you need someone to say something nice about you and have people listen, you need to get information out of someone in the most non-violent means possible, you need to get information out of someone and violence has already been used, you need someone to distract a crowd from your actions, etc. etc. etc. Just think of the various ways to use entertainment and social skills and she can probably do it.

She's also decent w/ a staff and a knife skill-wise, but raw skill levels are all she has -- she has no combat-related advantages or anything.
Unread 28th of February, 2009, 15:07
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

She sounds like she'll turn by character into a jelly.

Unread 2nd of March, 2009, 04:21
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Vortigern, and Merbak: I need character names from you two.
Unread 2nd of March, 2009, 06:51
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Cool stuff! I got a Chuunta thingie! Heh, I just noticed, there are no white people in this setting.

Unread 2nd of March, 2009, 07:29
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

elmer_jok: I have not heard anything from you in a while. What are some of these character concepts you mentioned? I would like to get started on working with you on a character.
Unread 3rd of March, 2009, 14:35
GeekEclectic
Zombie

Originally Posted by Shoelip # Heh, I just noticed, there are no white people in this setting.
The Kingdom of Danleb and its surroundings cover an area that's about 950 miles by 750 miles. That's just a little larger than the state of Texas. So there's no telling what people look like beyond this little piece of the world.

All we've been told of the "world beyond" is that there is at least one land in which formal martial arts is practiced, and it is so far away travel would be prohibitive. Not what the people look like or anything . . . and that's just one foreign locale.

Oh, and the forest people are white. I don't know if david meant normal Earth-white, or albino-white.
Unread 3rd of March, 2009, 14:44
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Near Albino-white. Rather than the translucent white from a lack of pigment it is like white paint.
Unread 3rd of March, 2009, 16:29
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Wait, you mean the crazy naked jungle psychos?