Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Eberron : The Price of War

Unread 3rd of October, 2012, 08:30
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
No worries zach, and you're doing fine. I enjoy seeing how players navigate the difficult =)

Sorry to hear that you're sick Tash. My students are often kind enough to share with me whatever plague is sweeping through their immune systems.

Who says teenagers don't know how to share.

Tash, Gral, and Paco - let me know if there's anything you guys need from me. Erik and I have wrapped up Allenaster's bit, and zach and I are closing in on the end of ours after which we'll be starting with the overarching plotline.
Unread 9th of October, 2012, 05:39
-J-

I'm looking to start with the main story line once zach and I finish our last installment of Lissantia's trip to Karnnath.

Those of you working on preludes I'll need a short synopsis of what your guy has been doing lately (else I'll make it up). We can still keep working on them (sort of like an aside or flashback), but I'm planning on putting your guys into the story. If you don't want to do a prelude that's fine too, we'll just wing it as we go along.
Unread 9th of October, 2012, 09:15
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Hmm. So can I actually do anything against curses?
I think I went a little overboard with "doesn't work on unholy damage." She should have some way to deal with it, even if it's slow as molasses.
Actually... wouldn't a curse generally have some sort of "persistent" quality? Could she have an ability that cancels that out, so that whatever curses are there heal as fast as a normal wound/disease?
Unread 10th of October, 2012, 08:07
-J-

As with all things hero, it depends on how the power is bought. Straight damage could be bought with the special effect of a curse. Ability drain with a really long recovery is often used to simulate a curse, tack on damage over time with enough ticks to cover a year or life time and you have a progressively degenerative disease. If you invest in the analyze: magic skillyou can make a roll too try to figure that stuff out (and you'd get a bonus if you had a detect magic spell with discriminatory/analyze built into it)

You also shouldn't listen to pirates, what they call a "curse" could be something completely different...

(the above is fancy GM talk for you'll have to find out)
Unread 10th of October, 2012, 11:47
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Well alright I guess.
Hero is confusing.

e: Also updated.

Last edited by zachol; 10th of October, 2012 at 14:02.
Unread 11th of October, 2012, 12:40
-J-

Sorry zach, I misunderstood your query.

Lissantia doesn't really know much about curses. Poisons and diseases yes, but true battlefield grade necromantic dark mojo it's hard to come by in the monastery.

Mechanics wise everything in hero is run off of effect. So take lissantia's purification - it's a transform that given enough time will turn a person suffering from ANY power bought with a poison our disease special effect into a healthy person, effectively healing them. So this is how it would work. Bob gets stabbed with a knife that has a poison on it. This poison is bought as a drain versus body and strength. So bad guy rolls his drain damage and lets say he got a total of 15, which means bob looses 15 active points from his body and strength. Lissantia comes along and her aura kicks in. every phase she does 1 point of transform "damage"to bob. When her transform damage is equal to twice his original body, he is cured of the poison (he becomes transformed into what lissantia's is bought as, which in this case is a healthy body)

scenario 2: bob gets hot with the exact same drain, only this time it is bought with the special effect of being a "curse ". Since the damage is not poison our disease based her transform won't work. Of course her healing aura would still work, and that (as long as the damage wasn't "unholy") would get to work on bob's body damage, healing it as much as it could before it reached its max for the day.

Scenario 3: the drain is the same except the damage over time advantage has been added and built so that it inflicts 1d6 drain each day for a year.if the drain has the disease special effect, the lissantia's transform would "cure"him (transform him into a person with a healthy body) and end the drain, even if there was time left on it.

If the power was bought as a curse, she couldn't end the power with her transform, but she could heal the daily damage from the drain with her healing aura. As long as she stayed near bob he would be ok, but if he left the DOT is still running in the background, and he's still be taking damage everyday.

If the drain is bought as unholy, bob is screwed
Unread 11th of October, 2012, 13:00
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yay, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
Actually now I understand that transform thing. It seemed really cheap before, I didn't get why it was just 1point (before the modifiers).

Can I somehow... buy a drain that affects "unholy" powers? Like it would negate a certain amount of points of unholy, but not anything further. So she could fight a minor diabolist's curse, but only mitigate an archdevil's powers or something.
I want dealing with unholy stuff to be really slow but eventually doable, like trying to scrape tar off something.
Unread 11th of October, 2012, 20:32
-J-

There are a couple of ways to emulate that. Simplest would be to use experience tip buy off the "not vs unholy"limitation. You could also buy a drain or suppress against unholy as a separate power, but as your powers are not purchased through a frame work (bought as spells) it would more than likely be cost prohibitive. A compromise between the two might like a naked advantage, "affects unholy" that is purchased with some limitations (costs endurance, requires an ego roll, extra time, concentration, increased endurance cost). This would give you the ability to "turn off" the limitation on all of your healing powers but it would take a lot of concentration and would tucker you out.
Unread 11th of October, 2012, 21:05
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Actually, it would cost all of 2 points to get rid of "not vs unholy" on the Focused Light power.
I mean I'm not sure how fast we get points but that doesn't seem like much. Feels like the best option (it's already the "hey I'm going to actually concentrate on this" power), if it's alright.

e: Although I was also thinking in terms of a general "hey screw you" to demons and such, a drain on "evil" powers. Or is that way too broad?

Last edited by zachol; 11th of October, 2012 at 21:15.
Unread 12th of October, 2012, 08:08
-J-

True removing the limitation from your focused light would only cost 2 points, and that would allow you to do 2d6 of healing versus unholy based damage (max 4 body, 12 stun per wound). Buying threw naked advantage would allow you to use any of your powers against unholy damage (including your regeneration).

While it would be easy to build a drain versus"evil", I'm not sure it fits with the font of positive energy. a suppression field is probably more of what you're thinking (in the field evil is less powerful due to there being so much good, but once outside the field it's back to normal). Mostly I don't like the semantics with positive energy and draining. Overwhelming and positive energy seem fine.

We had also talked about buying a damage field versus undead, which would be easy enough to do.
Unread 12th of October, 2012, 09:03
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Okay, so a suppression field. That makes more sense, yeah.
I need to look at naked advantage, then.
Unread 13th of October, 2012, 05:41
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Sorry folks, this week turned out to be an absolute nightmare. Hopefully after the weekend things will be better.
Unread 17th of October, 2012, 11:06
-J-

Snuck an update in yesterday zach but forgot to mention it
Unread 17th of October, 2012, 15:36
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yeah, I saw. Yesterday was goofy.
Unread 17th of October, 2012, 23:32
-J-

No worries
Unread 31st of October, 2012, 12:24
-J-

Hey All,

I've been content enough to let things develop slowly, understanding that the pressures of work and family and the general craziness that occurs towards the end of the year. Long slow spells punctuated with brief periods of frenetic activity have been the norm in just about every other game I've run/played in, so its sort of par for the course. Its also helped that Erik and zach have been super at keeping me busy with their finely crafted preludes as I've waited for schedules and the like to pan out.

Erik is done, and I can't in good conscious drag out zach's any longer so I'll be pushing to finish that with him this week (you're up by the way zach). This, in turn, puts me in the awkward place of trying to start a game with 2 out 5 players, which from a gm/planning point of view will be difficult.

So this is what I'm thinking - zach and I are going to put his prelude to bed and then I want to do give nanowrimo a decent effort this year. This will give you guys time to get caught up on character creation/ background stuff. December 1st we'll re-evaluate and see if we're all ready to go, or come to find that the game is just not a good fit.

To be clear I am NOT saying that I want to quit, far from it. When I signed up for another forum I made the personal commitment to see things through as far as the players were willing to go, for as long as they were willing to go. From its inception, this game has been very different from the other things that I have run in one major respect - at the beginning I had no pre-formed story arc that I wanted to ram down player's throats (which is why the game description was so vague). Instead I wanted to see what you guys would make up and then take some arcs from your characters and start with that. I'm still rather excited about initiating the experiment, especially with the fun I've had in Erik and zachol's preludes.

questions, comments or good ol'fashioned castigation is always welcomed

-J-
Unread 31st of October, 2012, 13:41
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I'm fine with the solo prelude thing continuing. I've been sort of trying to hurry it along with the assumption that I'm somehow holding back something, but apparently that's not the case?
Wherever you want to take it is alright.
Unread 3rd of November, 2012, 07:46
-J-

Nah you're doing fine zach. Speaking of which, you're up again.
Unread 4th of November, 2012, 03:49
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Here I am - I haven't forgotten about this game at all. So much up front.

I don't see anything I should castigate you for - but if you've really want it, z has that rifle that works over the internet. I'm sure he has other stuff that works over the internet. Rest assured that something could be arranged.

Gral hasn't been online since Sandy so don't expect a reply from him before he returns. My guess is that either he's busy repairing stuff or (and) cables have been ripped apart that are important for online stuff and all.

Concerning myself... hm. Maybe my approach is too complicated. I guess what I need at this point is to make a character who doesn't know too much about the world (so that I don't have to spend time reading up on stuff too much). I think I hesitate 'working' on him because it's a system I'm not used to (and while I don't think it'll be a problem as you'll be assisting, J, I guess it does slow me down) and because I lack background on what is going on, where we're at and stuff. Since I don't know a lot about Eberron, it just gets more difficult.

Since we've addressed the idea of my character coming from a 'naturalist' environment, maybe we could take it one step further, J? But we can take that to the googledoc, I'd say. Alas, I have to work the entire weekend, but I might have Monday off. Possibly.
Unread 4th of November, 2012, 08:27
-J-

Look forward to it Tash
Unread 6th of November, 2012, 01:24
Gralhruk

Sorry, we still have no power, phone, or internet. Today is the first day I'm back at work. I'll try and get some story stuff done this week.
Unread 7th of November, 2012, 07:20
-J-

HE LIVES! HUZZAH!

Don't worry about it Gral, after getting pimp-slapped by a hurricane you're allowed some time off
Unread 8th of November, 2012, 01:10
Gralhruk

I got the first paragraph up in my private thread. Have a look when you get a minute - I really like Rhain and I'm excited to get started.
Unread 12th of November, 2012, 07:44
-J-

Will do - just been busy with Nanowrimo (20,000+ words).
Unread 13th of November, 2012, 01:04
Gralhruk

No worries - and good luck with NaNo! Sounds like you are right on track.