Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Cognitive Yammering

Unread 17th of February, 2009, 13:14
Bad Luck Charm
Effigy [GM]

Member: #3028
Best/Worst D&D3.5e Magic Items

In your opinion, what is the BEST and WORST magic item in 3.5e D&D?

Rules:
  1. Limit of 1 entry per member (1 best item, and 1 worst item per member). You may post your entires as two seperate posts (1 for the best, 1 for the worst), or post both entries in a single post. You may not substitute (i.e. you can't submit 2 best items, you are limited to 1 of each even if you don't submit both).
  2. Ring of Wishes and other items that grant wishes or other god-like abilities are not allowed. Clarification: Anything that grants the following spells or spell-like abilities or effects are banned: Wish, Geas/Lesser Gear, Quest, or Miracle.
  3. No EPIC magic items allowed
  4. If the item in question is not available on the SRD, post a general description of what it is/does, and what book it is from (must be from a Wotc sanctioned book).
  5. No Artifacts, Relics, or other "one of a kind" type items.
  6. For each item, include your reasoning why it is the best/worst item (your reasoning will weigh heavily in the judging process).
  7. If you violate any of the above rules you give permission for all forum members to mock you for all eternity for not reading a simple list of rules.
  8. If you need to change your entries, edit the original post - do not post a new reply. Once you have edited the post, put up a reply stating you have updated it. This is to prevent me getting confused when I setup the polls for it later.
  9. You may not enter an item that has already been submitted by another player for the same category (i.e. you couldn't submit Wand of Magic Missiles for the best item if somebody else did, but you could submit it for the Worst item if it hasn't been submitted yet, etc).
  10. You may not submit your own crafted item idea (too much room for munchkinism if you do that...creating a staff that can cast 50 different spells, for example).
Forum members will be allowed to vote on the best/worst item once enough submissions have been received (aiming for 10 of each).

Judging will be based on a variety of factors, including:

-Creativity
-Utility/Applicability/Variety of usage or purpose (larger utility = higher value)
-How much you brown nose everybody that is voting
-Limits on usage (including requirements such as level/race to use, less restrictions = higher value)
-Your Reasoning (better reasoning why it is the best/worst = higher value)

Whoever wins gets bragging rights.

Last edited by Bad Luck Charm; 17th of February, 2009 at 13:23.
Unread 21st of February, 2009, 08:58
Palanthias
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2814
I have to submit the Ring of Regeneration as my best magic Item.

I must admit anything that makes clerics and healing potions obsolete good for business.
Everyone can use it(no restrictions), everyone needs it(high utility), never needs recharging(limitless usage),

helped numerous characters of mine escape death.

I think that it would be hard to beat the Ring of Regeneration.

If it lost it would probably be because of my lack of salesmanship not the Ring's value.
Unread 21st of February, 2009, 17:50
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

Member: #111
There are two items I seem to always want, they're both neat and stupid. I think they first appeared in the magic compendium or something. I got to use them in an outrageous campaign once. I was playing a minatour fighter who ran into some trouble and ended up eating the halfling. The rest of the evidence was cleaned up.

*Use your best Billy Mayes voice when you read the following*

The Ever Damp Sponge, is always wet and will not disentegrate over time. Think of it as you clean your floors of all the blood that you splill from your enemies. Caked on, dried blood is lifted away with just three easy passes of our Ever Damp Sponge. Have a magic circle that needs to be banished, clean it up with the Ever Damp Sponge.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

If you buy the sponge now, we'll include the Ever Clean Towel! Think of it, the towel that will always stay clean. You've mopped up that blood, soak up all the stain with the Ever Clean Towel. It's that easy. It makes the perfect gift for your favorite bartender!

Just three easy payments of 19 gold pieces and 95 coppers. And if you order now, we'll double your order and give you two Ever Damp Sponges and two Ever Clean Towels! Call now!

*Annoucer voice* "Psionic Mentalists are standing by to take your orders."

Last edited by The_Friendly_Fiend; 21st of February, 2009 at 17:53.
Unread 23rd of February, 2009, 03:31
Palanthias
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2814
FF:--Umm... Rule 5.

I love the sales pitch. Makes me want to rewrite mine.
Unread 24th of February, 2009, 06:47
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

Member: #111
*Sicks the Psions on Palanthias* Buy now! Buy now!
Unread 4th of April, 2009, 04:26
RelentlessImp
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #7496
Best: Ring of Sustenance
Never worry about food, water, or getting your 8 hours of sleep a night ever again! Never again be faced with the perils of starvation rules! Oh yes, it's that good. Also, depending on the DM, the wording "full benefit of 8 hours sleep" can also be taken to mean a spellcaster's 8 hours of rest before preparing spells is reduced to 2 hours.

Worst: Apparatus of Kwalish
It's a pretty cool idea, but it's a poor execution - at least in my eyes.
Unread 4th of April, 2009, 06:38
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Also, depending on the DM, the wording "full benefit of 8 hours sleep" can also be taken to mean a spellcaster's 8 hours of rest before preparing spells is reduced to 2 hours.
The rules specifically state that a ring of sustenance never allows a spellcaster to do that.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 07:32
imimrtl
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #7526
Best - Decanter of Endless Water - By far the most useful to those of a mechanical/engineering bent. We once powered an entire town with the hydraulic pressure of one of these including automatic doors, lifts and plumbing.

Worst - Invulnerability Armor Enhancement - By the time you can afford it, virtually EVERYTHING has a magic weapon.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 08:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Best - Bottle of Air, with some sealing wax and a tube or two. Hooray for medieval scuba gear.