The Landslide 3 23.08%
The Volcano 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 28th of April, 2009, 01:43
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Battlescape Showdown: Elements

This could well be a terrible idea for a poll, but that last one is exhausted and it was something I was pondering as I have been trying to think about dynamic locations for encounters in PBPs.

So, which do you think makes for the most exciting encounter location?

OPTION 1 - The Lighthouse
A tower on the coast, battered by waves and rain. Floorspace is quite limited, a spiral staircase wide enough for one wrapping around the single room per floor and at the very top the glass-encased room which holds the lantern.

There's potential here for a pirate/smuggler base, some kind of ghost luring ships into rocks or even some kind of fire-demon which used to be imprisoned in the tower in order to serve as the lantern and now has broken free.

OPTION 2 - The Chasm
Ever changing howling winds blow between two cliff faces and the only path between is an ancient bridge of planks and rope stretching across. Looking down there is only fog.

Crossing the bridge itself might be tricky, making this the ideal location for some sort of chase. There's also interesting ideas to do with opponents on the far side armed with ranged weapons. Flight being an option for either side also opens up a whole world of extra peril.

OPTION 3 - The Landslide
A track winds its way up the side of a mountain but the rock above is restless and great chunks of it come crashing down with alarming regularity.

There's two ways that the landslide can interact with events, first there are chunks of earth and stone falling down which could sweep those not fast or lucky enough over the edge, second chunks of the path itself could fall, or be swept, away creating obstacles which must be passed. Toss in a swarm of badguys (who may be manipulating the falling stone) and things could get quite interesting.

OPTION 4 - The Volcano
Air choked with ash, exposed rivers of lava and massive ambient temperatures. And that is even without an eruption which would send flaming balls of obsidian up into the sky to plummet down upon the immediate area or an avalanche of liquid stone rolling down the mountainside.

Possibly creatures lurk within the belly of volcano, or there could be somebody just evil and insane enough to have carved a base of operations into the warm stone.
Unread 28th of April, 2009, 01:55
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Encounter wise, I think Volcano takes it all the way.

Edit: Of course, landslide is clearly the most original.
Unread 28th of April, 2009, 04:14
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
It's not so much the blurbs themselves, you understand, those are just the ideas which occurred to me when I was thinking about vaguely-elemental encounters in the listed locations.

And yes, landslide was a masterstroke. I simply do not know how I came up with it. I must be channelling a higher power.
Unread 28th of April, 2009, 05:45
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Eh, the volcano is overused. I've played in several volcano-encounters, and none were very good. I do admit that it could be an impressive encounter if it was very carefully designed.

Both the chasm and the lighthouse sound cool, but they restrict movement a bit, and might be annoying if the players don't have means to circumvent it. So I voted landslide, which I really can't think of any problems with.

However, the real winner should be a lighthouse battered by a landslide of volcanic ash on the edge of a chasm.
Unread 28th of April, 2009, 10:52
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
However, the real winner should be a lighthouse battered by a landslide of volcanic ash on the edge of a chasm.
I'm putting that in my mieller game now Leadpal
Unread 29th of April, 2009, 13:05
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

Member: #111
The volcano would be better if there's a cult sacrificing nearly naked good looking female virgins at the top or into the lava. Of course by doing so, you may gain the ire of the mods who seem to like having them sacrificed to them in order to create forums. Maybe you can toss them the ugly ones along with blindfolds?
Unread 29th of April, 2009, 15:04
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
Man, this is a rough one. All 4 have the potential for awesome. I defaulted to the Lighthouse on a whim and because I can see some neat scenarios there. But they're all really nifty sounding.
Unread 30th of April, 2009, 07:25
LeadPal

If lighthouse is going to win, I hope it's at least by a landslide.
Unread 30th of April, 2009, 08:06
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Member: #1746
I chose the Volcano because of the drama it seems to instill in me. This could be Hollywood brainstorming me, but I've already pushed the button... no going back now.

The Landslide took a close second and may have been my actual vote if I hadn't succumed to brainwashing. This could be a very interesting scene. My mind reals with the possibilities.

Lighthouse is winning? Seriously? I did however have an awesome encounter take place in a lighthouse in the Darnathian Prophecies with Bel, Akiko, noo and coffee. Okay, maybe it is a pretty cool choice too.

Chasm admittedly is a cool one too, but takes a back seat in coolness factor. At least to my mind.

Wouldn't this be cool though....

A fiery landslid up a hill to a bridge over a chasm filled with lava on the side of the volcano that leads to a lighthouse? An infernal lighthouse!

EDIT: I just read back and saw Leadpals idea... scratch mine.

Last edited by elmer_jok; 30th of April, 2009 at 08:09.
Unread 1st of May, 2009, 11:10
Talae
Zombie

Member: #7512
Landside, because I haven't done it before. Volcano is close second. The others can be cliche.

Doom's Jocular Jockstrap Award (1)
Unread 2nd of May, 2009, 13:06
LeadPal

The landslide has filled the gap of the chasm and the volcano, but can it get as high as the lighthouse?