Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > itches' Games > Band of Bumbling Bards

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #276  
Unread 10th of March, 2003, 19:14
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.27 per day)
Grinning at Yaven, Marie quickly delivers the rest of the gear she was carrying to the others, chatting away the entire time.

"You're the first people who have been here since the rebuilding. And With you being performers and everything, the place should be full tonight. I hope that this is a good omen for the second life of this place."

"So is there anything else you need?"
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #277  
Unread 11th of March, 2003, 00:41
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Ilia nods her assent to the free performance, the few braids in her hair coming loose from their bindings. Drat, I'll have to re-do them before this evening.

She remains quiet for the rest of the day, preparing herself for the next big performance. She orders a bath, if possible, and washes the grime of the road from her, rinsing her hair thoroughly. She sits in her room, re-braiding the straw thin plaits, dressed in the same skirt as before and a plain top, so as not to get her performance clothes messed up before the evening.

She polishes her fiddle, making the dark red wood gleam, and shines up the bones, making them shimmer in dark light.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #278  
Unread 14th of March, 2003, 06:43
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Yavan smiles and nods at the girl's excitement. Chances are she's right; tonight will be the busiest and perhaps happiest their village has seen in a while. He's amazed that anyone is still willing to live here given the circumstances. The buildings are falling into ruin and ogres plague the countryside. Meanwhile the Duke does nothing but let them suffer.

So it's bittersweet for him to see Marie so excited. No matter how they perform these people will talk about them for a long time to come. They will be the bright light amidst the long dark. Part of him relishes in the attention while the other part is saddened and ashamed by it.

Yavan nods and smiles to Ilia as she walks by. The halfling seems equally intent on bathing. He can't blame her, the dust from the road left his skin feeling dry and dirty.

"Ah, yes, I would like to bathe before the performance tonight. Would that be possible?"
  #279  
Unread 18th of March, 2003, 04:43
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.27 per day)
"Offcourse," Marie almost grins. "When we rebuilt, we had a brand-new bathing room put in. Come on I'll show you"

Descending into pleasant chatting, Maria soon shows Yavan the bathing room. The rest of the afternoon passes in a blur, as each of the bards prepares in their own ways for the arriving performance.

Standing, in a back room, behind the bar, the Band has a look at the crowd. As Tabetha predicted, there are only about 25 people there, including about 7 children. Tabetha herself sits at a table with Madam Spider, everyone else keeping a respectable distance. Maria rushes around the room, delivering food and ale.
Even McDemert is tucked away in one corner, appearing slightly embarrassed to be there

Talkid comes striding in, rubbing his hands together, and appearing to have been infected by the festive mood that has filled the common room.

"I never would have believed I would could of seen this group so cheerful so soon after the devastation. But here they are Word quickly spread through the village about your arrival. When your ready, come out, now if you excuse me, I need to give Maria a hand with the work. Quite remarkable."
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #280  
Unread 18th of March, 2003, 17:43
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Ilia, freshly bathed, stands with her bow and fiddle in one hand. She is wearing a deep lavender blouse this time, and her hair is freshly combed back with thin plaits running through it, ended with blue and purple beads and feathers.

She looks up at the rest of the band and motions towards the stage. "Shall we?"
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #281  
Unread 19th of March, 2003, 09:38
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Yavan sits in what can only be thought of as the backstage area of the inn. His dark hair is only recently dry from the bath. After cleansing himself his senses feel sharper, more alert. Over a score of poor, beleagured people have arrived to listen to them and he's going to be certain they enjoy themselves, at least for tonight.

He's donned the outfit he normally uses for playing inns. It is flashy without being gaudy. A simple light gray shirt hangs over dark blue breeches and a cloak, made of patches of varying hues of blue and gray hangs over his shoulders.

A lute is resting on his lap and he hums a note before plucking a string and adjusting the lute until it's in tune with his voice. He turns to the other bards present and nods to them.

"What do we want to play?" He asks, looking at each of them in turn. "I am not entirely certain that I will know them by the same name, but I imagine most have similar tunes if not words."

"I know several that I have learned since I began to travel," he volunteers several songs that the others can play and sing in if they know it or have the chance to rest if they do not.

Just before they emerge onto the stage Yavan hums a note, gesturing to each to harmonize with it. Satisfied he smiles and says, "Come, let's make their hardship more bearable."

OOC: Cast Fine-Tuning and Harmonize
  #282  
Unread 19th of March, 2003, 11:18
SponkleofInfini's Avatar
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #131
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136 (0.36 per day)
Following Yavan's lead Beronas readies himself and his instrument for the performance.
__________________
"It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation."
° Office Space
  #283  
Unread 22nd of March, 2003, 07:14
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.27 per day)
Walking out into the small clearing into he corner of the bar - that will serve as a stage - the bards ready their instruments as the small crowd politely applauds.

Morgan starts them off, playing a slow haunting tune on her harp. The music waifs around the room, filling everyone’s heart with the sadness and memories of what had happened to them. This doe not last long however.

Ilia joins in, and takes the tune that Morgan started and turns it into something more cheerful, and more upbeat.

Seizing on this tune, Beronas inserts his own counter-melody, causing Morgan to alter her own song to match him. Taking her cue from this die, Ilia tries to move up to their level, but once again finds herself unable pull it off, and after a few squawked notes, stops trying.

Soon some impromptu dancing begins among the patrons of the bar, as the catchy tune begins to set their feet tapping.

Staying silent for the most part, Yavan idly plays his lute, softly echoing the others as he waits for the right moment. Then it comes.


"The eyes have it my dear
It is your eyes, that I fear
In their dark depths, what lays?
Do you love me? I say"


Launching into song, the elf soon has everyone dancing away - Even Madam Spider trying out a turn or two. Soon his singing begins to reach levels that rival the music played for the followers of Biate. And it goes on.


"I Once saw you walking past
And I was hit with a blast
Of love, from the Sky
Oh Why! Oh Why!"


Returning the chorus, many of the patrons join in, and soon the entire Inn is vibrating with the sounds, and energy of the song.

For what seems like hours, the song plays - thought it was more like 10 minutes - filling everyone with energy, and vibrancy of life. Then slowly, the song starts to slow, and the performers leave the music. First Yavan, then Beronas, the Ilia, then finally - her harp solo drifting eerily around the room again, Morgan stops playing.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #284  
Unread 29th of March, 2003, 03:45
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
His heart beats rapidly in his chest and there's a touch of color to Yavan's cheeks as he leaves the stage. He never feels more alive than when he's performing. There's a certain rush, a certain exhileration that he feels when he stands and weaves his way through a song. The fact that he's been so successful lately does not hurt things.

The normally somber elf is grinning as each of his companions comes off stage.

"Come! Let's celebrate," he says, clapping Beronas on the arm and ruffling Ilia's hair.

He returns his lute to his room and then makes his way into the common room. Ordering an ale he pulls up a stool at the bar and takes in the scene of the inn.

For the first time in a long time, Yavan is happy.
  #285  
Unread 29th of March, 2003, 11:05
SponkleofInfini's Avatar
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #131
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136 (0.36 per day)
As Beronas walks off stage, Yavan pats him on the arm in congratulation, grinning. Beronas looks him with a puzzled look, it was a good performance, the villiagers are happy...perhaps that was why Beronas returned the sentiment. It was strange, Yavan and Beronas had not got along, but it seemed for that moment, such feelings had been forgotten.

Returning his fife to his room, Beronas returned to the common room, hands on hips, and a flamboyant smile plastered upon his face. Joining Yavan and the remaining villiagers for an ale.
__________________
"It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation."
° Office Space
  #286  
Unread 8th of April, 2003, 23:15
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Ilia comes in off the stage, dodging out of range of Yavan's hand just after he starts to toussle her braids. No thanks, I have better things to do. A frown plastered across her face, she retreats to her room, slamming the door behind her.

She looks at the fiddle in her hands, and with a built up cry of rage, throws it against the wall. She watches with a look of satisfaction as the pieces splinter and fly across the room, one of shards of wood catching her in the arm in revenge.

She plucks it out but doesn't staunch the bleeding, instead taking the case of ebon-wood bones and sitting amongst the broken shards of the fiddle, setting them up and playing them for a good half hour to calm herself before heading to the common room once more, the angry red mark on her arm now covered by a long sleeved blouse.

She orders the strongest wine she can get before sitting by the fire by herself.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #287  
Unread 15th of April, 2003, 20:49
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.27 per day)
The Bards return to the common room to the loud cheers of the villagers. Such is the noise and fuss made over them, they don't notice the fact that Ilia isn't present with them. After several long minutes of hearty handshakes and slaps on the back Talkid manages to get near them, holding a bottle covered with velvet and Marie following with 5 glasses.

" A wondrous performance," he greats, setting the bottle down and unwrapping the cloth.

"You must share a drink with me, there wasn't as much of it left as I thought there was, but here is the wine I promised. Come Marie, share a drink with us. There should be enough left for one glass each."

Picking up the bottle, which refracts the light of the common room into a myriad of colours, Talkid pours an amber liquid with blue over tones into each glass. Picking up his and holding it up, the Tavern owner proposes a toast.

"May your every performance be as great as the one you gifted us with tonight."
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #288  
Unread 15th of April, 2003, 23:40
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.13 per day)
An happy grin on her face, Morgan touch glasses with everybody.
" May the village enjoy peace and prosperity for many years to come. May you all see your children's chldren grow in happiness!"
she answers, freely translating a traditional dwarven toast.
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #289  
Unread 16th of April, 2003, 08:45
SponkleofInfini's Avatar
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #131
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136 (0.36 per day)
Beronas bows his head, raising his glass to the toasts, but remaining surprisingly silent...perhaps trying not to ruin the moment with buffoonery.
__________________
"It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation."
° Office Space
  #290  
Unread 20th of April, 2003, 02:31
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Yavan nods and accepts the wine. It was a good performance, despite Ilia's distress over her part. A frown touches his face for a moment, but he forgets the halfing's worries as a wine glass is placed in his hands. It has been a while since he's enjoyed a good glass of wine.

The elf raises his glass in toast with the others. After sipping the amber drink, he turns to the others and asks, "So, what shall we do now?"
  #291  
Unread 6th of May, 2003, 21:48
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.27 per day)
--In The Corner--

In the corner, by the fire, Illia drinks her potent wine, partially oblivious to the room around her. Without her notice a man in a long black cloak, with a hood up, sits down next to her, looking at her and saying

"I pity you"

Ilia looks up at the man from her glass, quirking an eyebrow upwards.

"Sorry?"

"I was watching you up there on stage, trying to play."

Somehow the impression comes that the man is smiling

"Such talent being ... squashed"

"Talent?" She shakes her head.

"No, I think you have me mistaken for someone who has some."

"Potential talent if you will, I see what you could become ... and I see what holds you back - Rather, whom holds you back"

The man glances over to where the rest of the bards are celebrating happily.

"Those who leave you alone, in the dark, drinking yourself away."

Ilia shrugs, taking another long, drawn out drink from the wine glass in her hands.

"Well, they have reason to celebrate. They performed well tonight. Me. Well, you saw me. I've heard owls screech better than I've played.."

"Besides, there is a fire here. Tis all the light I need."

The manresponds "The dark doesn't always have to be a cold place."

A shadow falls over the pair, and the room suddenly seems dimmer, more distant, and the noises muted.

"You could be great child, if you let go of those who hold you back"

As the room grows darker, Ilia looks up at the man, both eyebrows raised now. "Who are you?"

At the second statement, she shrugs. "I need them just as much as they need Me.."

Though as she says the last, she sounds as if she doesn't quite believe that they need her.

"I am he who watches. He who sees what is, and what could be.

"I see them in the light, I see you in the shadow next to it."

The man starts to fade as the room starts to come back into focus, leaving these words.

"Remember what I have said here ... I'll be watching"

The room snaps back into focus, the noise and smell of it washing over the Halfling like a wave. Looking around, she can't see any trace that the man was there at all, nor has anyone seemingly reacted to his presence, and disappearance.

Ilia goes back to drinking her wine, the words of the man dancing through her head like a long forgotten tale.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #292  
Unread 12th of May, 2003, 23:52
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
After her odd conversation, she looks about her, a look of pure confusion on her features. She drinks more, practically downing the glass of wine in one gulp. She walks towards the bar, placing the glass down and ordering another ones. She gives a sidelong glance towards the other three bards, eyes narrowing from spite at their joyous celebration.

She takes her wine, paying the barkeep, and wanders back to her fireplace, the words "The dark doesn't always have to be a cold place" dancing like a mantra.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #293  
Unread 13th of May, 2003, 00:28
SponkleofInfini's Avatar
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #131
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136 (0.36 per day)
"Hmm well that was a glance of icey daggers. Am I wrong, but it is if she is jealous?"

Remarks Beronas, shifting uneasilly on his stool by the bar.
__________________
"It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation."
° Office Space
  #294  
Unread 13th of May, 2003, 07:13
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.13 per day)
" Or maybe just depressed" puts in Morgan, " Halflings aren't made for solitude, we shouldn't have left her on her own". The red haired woman gets up, and bringing her cup, approaches Ilia's table. a bit hesitantly, though, unsure of her welcome.
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #295  
Unread 16th of May, 2003, 11:34
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Ilia takes another long, drawn out sip of her wine, looking up at the woman coming towards her table by the fireplace. She raises an eyebrow at the woman before taking another sip of her wine. She doesn't seem to mind or care if anyone joins her at the moment, her thoughts digesting the words spoken to her by the man in the dark cloak.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #296  
Unread 21st of May, 2003, 02:27
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
"Perhaps," Yavan says, looking over his glass of wine at the distant halfling, "she did not play as well as she could have, but we all have our bad nights."

The joyful mood slips from his shoulders as easily as a cloak, and a frown slips across his face. He opens his mouth to stop Morgan, but thinks better of it. She wishes to help, but the elf isn't sure that Ilia is in the mood for company.

"I worry about her," he says quietly, "she seems quiet, reserved for her kind. Certainly not like the fun-loving halflings that I have heard of."

Sighing once, Yavan retreats to a corner table with his wine and sits, watching the room.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren