Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Saint Alphonzo's Games > Mercury Ascending

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 04:39
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Solomon's Preface (IC)

It’s been nearly a month since moving in, and the boxes are still full. They lay stacked in the dining room of your small apartment. Only one box marked “Clothes” has been opened, the one full of summer clothes. Even though it’s only April, the heat of Mercury has been oppressive. At first, you chalked it up to not being acclimated to the new climate. Now, more and more people have been talking about the “heat wave”. Ninety degrees never felt this hot before. Maybe it’s because you’re used to sleet and snow this time of year.

You wouldn’t have woken up this early, except that the quilt you’re using to block out the afternoon sun fell, and the beam of heat is baking your feet. Since moving them to a cooler spot on the bed, you haven’t been able to get back to sleep. You haven’t even got the energy to get up and fix the quilt. In the hour you’ve been laying there, the central air-conditioning unit hasn’t gone off once. Once you finally build up enough energy to get up and fix the makeshift drapes, you find the ordeal has left you wide awake, and you decide to start your “day” a little early (3:30 p.m.).

Last edited by Saint Alphonzo; 11th of April, 2002 at 04:43.
  #2  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 05:22
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Soooooooo HOT! Must shower immediately.

Solomon peels off the shorts he was sleeping in, and heads into the shower. After he towels off, he finds that his fresh clothes are soaked with sweat almost immediately after donning them.

Great idea, Solomon. How can I avoid them? Pick a random place on the map. Somewhere warmer. Really great idea. I won't have to worry about It X if the heat kills me first.

He sits down at his desktop computer, boots up the machine, and logs on to his chat server to see if Zaphod, his NYC Adept friend, is online...
  #3  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 06:14
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
The computer boots past the opening screen, and the familiar opening bars of Moby's "Natural Blues" begin to play. While the machine boots, Solomon goes to the kitchen to fill his 104 oz. "Travel Gulp" cup with ice water. He's found a new appreciation for this nectar since moving to the dry, dusty outskirts of the desert.

Over the woefully low water pressure, Solomon hears a horrible screeching sound from the back bedroom (the computer room). He runs, pushes open the door, and gets hit with a blast of pure ozone. Burning plastic smell lingers, and his computer's screen is blank, even though the internal fans still whir monotonously.

Instantly forgetting the heat, the water, and everything else, he jams the power button on the base. Ripping the case apart, he sees the culprit. The processor has burned out.

<ooc: 7 succ on Int + Comp, just thought i'd let you know that your first roll of the game was damned good.>
  #4  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 06:21
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
<OOC: I'm going to assume that he still has his "special" computer for doing Magickal computations for Correspondance, and that this was just his "normal" Sleeper computer.>

Damnit! That was a brand new Athlon XP 2100 chip! Top of the line. The heat here is so bad I'm going to have use a water-cooling case or something!

<OOC: Assuming again that I know of a good computer shop in the area. If this or the above assumption is wrong I will edit the post.>

Solomon grabs his shoes and throws them on as he is stepping out the door. He starts to walk toward town, and then realizes that he forgot something important. He dashes back into the house and finds the gun he had hidden in his sock drawer.

You always forget this, Solomon. It'll get you killed someday.

He starts back outside toward town...

<OOC: I'm lastly assuming that my house/apartment isn't far from town. If it is far I will then assume that I have a car or motorcycle and will take that instead.>
  #5  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 23:21
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Stepping outside from the darkened apartment, Solomon is instantly assaulted by the brilliance of the afternoon sun. It seems enormous, almost like it's eating the horizon.

Solomon looks at his motorbike, sitting there on the blacktop parkinglot. Waves of heat shimmer, distorting his senses. Since there's a local computer repair shop close by, and the roads this time of day are so congested and hot, he decides to walk.

As he fires up his portable computer, adjusting the similarly-styled sunglasses to his face, he realizes that, outside, the dry air has removed all traces of perspiration from his body. The "dry heat" is almost better than the humid environment of his closed apartment.

He walks on, and logs in to the Digital Web...
  #6  
Unread 11th of April, 2002, 23:50
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solomon logs on, and heads to Zaphod's section of the Web: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It is a huge restaurant, with tables stretching as far as the eye can see (Solomon has never walked that far - and isn't sure those tables actually exist). Except for the strange drinks and forgiving gravity of the place, it is a pretty good restaurant even if it isn't real. Solomon sits down, and asks the robot waiter if Zaphod could see him...
  #7  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 00:19
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
The robot instantly pulls out a spiral-bound notepad with pages made of a strange silvery material. It snaps off the front page and lays it, text down, beside Solomon's water glass. The glass instantly fills with ice water, and an assortment of garnishes appear on a silver plate. Lemon wedges, lime wedges, orange slices, cherries, and carrots (?!?).

"I will be happy to assist you, will you please wait a moment"

It wheels off to another part of the restaurant.

Turning over the silvery page, Solomon notices Zaphod's familiar scrawl.

"can't chat right now, involved in a heinous awakening. if you want to check it out, go to httd://wwww.aansnkek.deed.com/~kok.hr

Login as VAguest99, password is "yusef". very important to login as guest, we got a paradox spirit here. if it blows, the 'dox might find you through the Web.
  #8  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 00:58
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Interesting...how does Zaphod always find himself into these situations all the time?

Solomon begins to follow his friend's instructions, mentally noting the URL, the login, and the password. Before he sets out, he brings the silver paper to the tip of the candle on the table. Instead of burning, the candle turns the paper into a bunch of silvery threads that float up briefly before disappearing. Solomon is not surprised.

He takes a slug of water from his glass, and walks out...

<OOC: Heading to follow Zaphod's instructions...>

<OOC: Just so I'm clear, I am walking along the road in "real" life but also on the Digital Web? Can I see what is going on on the road? Can I jump back and forth?>
  #9  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 01:46
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
<ooc: what you see, without using a Mind 1 Effect (Multitasking), is a superimposed image of the Digital Landscape over the Tellurian Landscape you're physically in. also, since you don't have a keyboard attached to Kevin right now, anything you want to say in the Digital Web, you have to say out loud in the Tellurian (make sure you're by yourself). by Multitasking, you can assign one mind to keep up with the Digital, one to keep up with the Tellurian.

you can change the settings on the glasses to filter out either the Digital or Tellurian completely, totally immersing yourself in either Reality.

in game mechanics, superimposing the two Realities is increasing your difficulties by 2, not enough to inhibit your walking, but don't try to drive or do a cartwheel!>
  #10  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 04:01
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
<OOC: Okay, those rules make sense. I will continue with the previous plan for Solomon to carry out the instructions on Zaphod's notes.>
  #11  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 05:50
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Solomon steps out of the Restaurant, onto a swiftly moving platform. The iridescent disk hums with an internal rhythm akin to a newborn's breathing. He states his destination, and the disk spins off, dropping him in front of what appears to be a railway terminal, suspended in the midst of a vast emptiness. Beams of energy pulse from the multitude of antennae and satellite dishes that cover the structure.

Solomon, again stating his destination, is led via moving walkway to a portal labelled To Temporary Horizon Realms A199 Through A1999 He knows he's heard that term before, but can't remember the specifics of what it refers to. Contemplating the wisdom of his decisions, he hears a bodiless voice come from nowhere, "Hold on, transmitting".

Solomon is instantly plucked from the moving walkway, through the portal. In less than a thought, his perecptions have been moved from the sterile station to a small basketball gym, reminiscent of one that might be found in any junior-high school. The walls are red brick, and worn, wooden bleachers line one wall. Dim light streams in from the row of dirty windows high above the floor.

In the center of the court stands a lone figure, encircled by a 30 foot diameter force-field of pink energy. The field is capped at the top by a 3 foot disk, and a large, flexible, metallic tube leads from the center of the disk to the ceiling and through the roof. A junction in the large tube leads off to a computer workstation.

One figure sits at the workstation, and several others, including Zaphod, are crowded behind it. As Solomon drifts over to the group, he approaches the field. Getting closer, he realizes that the figure inside is obviously fighting off some invisible attacker(s). The person wields a long staff, and the fluidity of his(her?) motions is breathtaking.

"Oy, Solly, over here. Give us a hand with this guy!"

As he nears the congregation, Solomon notices that they are attempting to corner a large spider and force it into a holding cell of the same pink energy. The spider charges one of the Mages to Zaphod's left, and as it leaps upon the hapless fellow, it sinks it's fangs into the young man's shoulder.

The injured Mage throws the spider off, then howls in pain as, creeping out of the wound, dozens of tiny spiders emerge. The tiny creatures swarm over the Mage's body, covering him in webbing that pulses with magickal electricity.

The spider turns its multi-eyed gaze towards Solomon and lunges...

Last edited by Saint Alphonzo; 17th of April, 2002 at 00:29.
  #12  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 06:48
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Just as Solomon is taking in the scene before him, the strange spider turns toward him, the menacing look in his eye readily apparent.

Gee, thanks for inviting me, Zaphod, he thinks quickly before springing to action.

He backs away from the spider, wondering what will happen to him if its fangs find his flesh next. He looks around, hoping someone will attack the thing before it has a chance to bite again...

<OOC: If Solomon has his gun in the Digital Web (can't remember the rules on that) than he will draw it, ready to fire if the thing comes toward him. Otherwise he will continue to back away, looking around for a suitable weapon of any sort.>
  #13  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 13:23
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Solomon catches a red glint in his peripheral vision, coming from near the massive workstation. Glancing over, he sees two eyes staring him down. One is a pale blue, almost white eye, the pupil focused to almost a pin-prick. The other eye glows a mechanical red, and is obviously a cybernetic enhancement. The voice from the figure seated there is raspy and barely audible over the scuttling of the spider.

"Capture and analyze."

Solomon feels cool steel take shape in his once-empty palm. Looking down, he sees a slim weapon of some alien design form before his eyes.

The other Mages step back, and yell taunts at the beast.

"Show'im who's boss here, Solly," Zaphod calls.

------------- Initiative----------
Cyber-Badass 16 (Matter 5, Prime 2, Corr 3)
Injured Mage 12 (you'll see)
Taunters 8 (holding actions)
Solomon 5
Spider 4
  #14  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 13:26
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solomon, looking at his hand, sees the strange weapon.

This place never gets old.

<OOC: I'm going to assume it is a pistol-type weapon.>

He decides to trust the strange cybernetic creature, aims the weapon at the spider, and fires.
  #15  
Unread 12th of April, 2002, 23:00
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Brilliant white energy streams from the tip of the pistol, slamming into the spider-creature. Minute cracks form all over its smooth body, and smoky tendrils hiss from the cracks. The spider seems to blur momentarily, its features become less-defined, its coloration darkens and appears more washed-out than before.

The creature stops in its charge and, apparently determining a new strategy for this particular being, launches a sticky stream of webbing towards Solomon. The webbing pulses with electrical energy, it hits Solomon in the left shoulder, pinning the upper part of that arm to his side. Solomon feels a pulsating numbness begin to spread throughout his left side.

<ooc: you take no damage, but have gained one Paradox and all tests involving Strength are at -1 die due to the sticky situation.>

The figure at the workstation has turned its complete attention back to the person trapped in the force field.

The injured, bound Mage writhes on the floor, and he begins to make gurgling, growling noises from behind a mesh of pulsing, electrical webbing.

Zaphod and one of the other two Mages have joined you, armed with long pikes that glow at the tip. They attempt to prod the spider, manuevering it back towards the glowing cage. It hisses and bares its fangs menacingly towards you.

The other Mage rushes towards the bound guy and attempts to remove some of the webbing from around his face.

"Nice work, Solly, drain'im again and take the fight out of'im."

The spider rears it head, appearing to have understood Zaphod, and not liking its prospects. Its spinneret drips ominously.
  #16  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 00:14
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solmon falls back after the spider hits him. His shoulder begins to numb, and he realizes that it is not from pain, but rather from the webs of Paradox that are seeping into his system.

Son of a bitch!

He continues to back up, and fires at the strange creature again...
  #17  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 02:08
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
While walking alongside a public park (in the Tellurian), Solomon is nearly run down by three kids on bicycles. His beam glances off the spider's hard carapace, slamming into the wall on the opposite side of the gym.

The spider spews forth a large amount of the Paradox webs, covering both Solomon's and Zaphod's lower legs. Before the webs harden and mobility is impossible, both Mages pull free, but their legs and feet begin to tingle familiarly.

<ooc: -1 Dex and +1 Paradox.>

After the gush of webbing subsides, the spider fades noticeably, and its movements become increasingly erratic. It appears to be slowing tremendously, and the other Mage is able to land a solid blow with his energy pike. The spider whines and falls limply to the polished wooden floor.

Deeper growlings eminate from the bound Mage, the webs covering him begin to stretch, and black fur can be seen underneath the webs. The Mage helping him remove the bindings turns quickly, a look of fear and confusion on his face. He screams, "RAGE!!!"

Suddenly, the bound figure springs to action. The webbings are ripped to shreds as a nine-foot-tall wolf-headed creature emerges from the shroud. It lets out a murderous howl, picks up the hapless Mage, and throws him into the far wall. The sickening crunch of breaking bones does little to bring Solomon out of the terror-stricken panic that envelopes him.

"Keep it together, keep it together..." Zaphod chants, more to himself than anyone else here. The pike-wielding Mage forgets all about the spider, taking off for the nearest exit.
  #18  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 02:59
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solomon is amazed as the werewolf moves menacingly toward him. He has never seen one before. Usually he would run; but he can't do that to Zaphod.

Solomon starts to decide on an action, and realizes he can't do much against the huge beast. He grabs for Zaphod and starts dragging him to the door.

"Let's get out of here."
  #19  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 04:30
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Steeling himself against the dreadful sight of a full-blown Crinos in Rage, Solomon runs to his friend, shakes him out of his stupor, and shouts, "Come on, get away!"

Zaphod snaps to attention, then, holding firmly to Solomon's arm, says calmly, "No, he can't do anything to us in our current forms, but he can disrupt the process over there (he gestures toward the workstation and force field)."

"We've got to calm Hanz down, or at least draw his attention away from them. You distract him while I attempt to soothe the Beast inside him."

<ooc: you spent a point of Willpower to overcome the Delerium (Mages are, after all, human, and subject to the same laws concerning Crinos forms popping up around them). As far as what equipment you have with you, you have any physical Foci you might require. Other items may be programmed to appear with your Digital counterpart, but that entails more time than you have right now>
  #20  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 05:25
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
<OOC: I'm confused. The Crinos was the guy in the forcefield, or one of the guys working with us? Really, can you just give me a quick rundown of who's in the room and their current status?>
  #21  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 05:40
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
<ooc: sorry, i thought it might be getting too crowded and confusing.

there's one figure in the force field, fighting invisible opponents

there's one at the workstation (Cyber-badass)

there were four guys trying to corral the paradox spirit.

1. Zaphod
2. spider bitten guy, bound with lots of webs, freaked out and went Crinos.
3. Crinos threw him into wall.
4. put the final blow on the spider, ran for the door.

right now, force-field boy and cyber-badass are busy, 3 and 4 are Incap and babbling, respectively.

hope that clears things up. when all characters get together, we'll be using an online mapping program, or online diagrams, so the confusion will, hopefully, be diminished.>
  #22  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 09:09
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solomon grins sarcastically.

Oh...distract him! Of course! That sounds like a great plan Zaphod.

Solomon thinks for a moment, and notices the strong Quintessential pattern flowing through the beast. The Rage in him is apparent in his Quintessence pattern, rippling and flowing through him.

Where there's a pattern, there's a way to disrupt it.

Solomon grabs one of his crystals, feeling the smooth surface, and concentrates on disrupting the creatures Quintessence pattern.

<OOC: Something similar to Rubbing the Bones (which requires Prime 2. Except with the addition of Entropy perhaps it can be done to greater affect (because you can see the best way to disrupt the pattern. If this isn't true than just a regular Rubbing the Bones from the 2nd Edition book.>
  #23  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 23:18
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Solomon grips the crystal tightly, and, attuning himself to the rapidly fluctuating pattern of Quintessence in the monster, determines a counter-pattern that will, hopefully, hinder the werewolf's devastation.

The beast winces as Solomon enacts his Effect, it grips its head in pain, and looks angrily toward the two Mages.

"I still need more time, his Mind is powerful, and the Rage is hard to overcome."

Zaphod backs up, leaving Solomon between himself and the Crinos. The slavering werewolf charges...

<ooc: start of new round, so you can dodge or attempt to draw its attention totally to you. it really can't do much more to you than destroy your Digital image, forcing you to log back into the system. and, btw, your coupling of Entropy 1 gave you an extra success on the Prime 2 Effect. nice!>
  #24  
Unread 13th of April, 2002, 23:39
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #35
Location: Conn, USA
Posts: 242 (0.04 per day)
Solomon suddenly realizes that he can't actually be harmed by the beast, but he doesn't want to leave Zaphod alone with the thing if he is forcefully logged out. Zaphod might not be logged in the same way as he, and could actually be harmed.

He tries to keep the pattern-scrambling Effect he has on the werewolf, but makes sure to try and dodge as the beast comes toward him. He also shouts toward the beast trying to draw its attention away from Zaphod.

C'mon, Zaphod. Hurry!
  #25  
Unread 15th of April, 2002, 23:53
Saint Alphonzo's Avatar
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member: #57
Location: Black Spiral Dancing
Posts: 638 (0.11 per day)
Solomon taunts the werewolf, hurling explitives and derogatory comments concerning its lineage. The beast narrows its eyes, and is instantly upon the Mage. Solomon narrowly escapes a vicious bite, but the Garou hits with a follow-through claw. Solomon's Digital pattern falters momentarily, and he gets a blast of audio feedback through his earpiece.

"Gaahh," he grunts, drawing the attention of several passersby in the Tellurian.

Back in the Digital, Zaphod completes his Rote. Solomon could swear he hears light classical piano music in the air as the giant head of the werewolf crashes into the wooden floor. The great beast snores loudly, and within seconds, has reverted form, back into a tall, gangly, youth.

Zaphod checks the man's pulse and breathing, explaining, "It's a tricky thing, bringing a Crinos out of Frenzy. Sometimes you can go too far and send them into a coma. Karl seems okay, though. How're you?"
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren