Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Krypton's Games > The Silence of Sotheling

Unread 14th of December, 2010, 16:38
TeamFischer
Skeleton

Member: #8947
Adair Sotheling

Adair Sotheling

Adult Schemer
Background: Death of her father, kidnapping of her brother
Goal: Power
Motivation: Security
Virtue: Merciful
Vice: Arrogant

Adult: (210/80)
Will: 4 (40)
Cunning: 4 (40)
Logic 1B
Deception: 4 (40)
Bluff 1B
Persuasion: 4 (40)
Seduce 1B, Charm 2B, Incite 1B
Awareness: 3 (10)
Empathy 1B
Knowledge: 3 (10)
Education 1B
Language: 3 (10)
Athletics: 3 (10)

All others: 2

Qualities:
Cohort (body guard/hand maiden who I still need to make)
Charismatic
Treacherous

Drawbacks:
Fear of Violence
Flaw Pampered (affects survival ability)

Intrigue Defense: 10
Composure: 12
Combat Defense: 8
Health: 6
AR: 0

Wealth and Possessions:
Wealth roll: 12
Coin: 2 gd, 192 ss, 22 cp
Possessions:
Nice Courtier Garb x 4 @ 50 ss each: 200 ss
Best Courtier Garb x3 @ 100 ss each: 300 ss
Lower Quality Nobel Garb x 2 @ 200 ss each: 400 ss
Nice Nobel Garb x 1 @ 500 ss each: 500 ss
Jewelry: (I couldn’t find a list or chart for jewelry) 500 ss
Sachet: 1 ss
Scents x 3 @ 1 ss each: 3 ss
Small Terrier: 5 ss

At 19 she is the oldest legitimate child of Ser Charlz. She is a bit old to be unmarried in Westeros but that is because she is obstinate and refuses to agree to any match that she does not deem suitable. The two life changing events from her childhood are the death of her father at the Battle of the Trident and the kidnapping of her brother Owen. She was very close to her father and his death hit here hard. Losing him in a battle that she feels brought nothing but trouble to her family has set her against war and violence. While the Sothelings became wealthy because of their prowess in battle she thinks the family should invest its wealth in other, less violent enterprises. One of her biggest fears is that her future children would have to go to war and would die. She sees a marriage into a larger House as a way to protect them from this fate because she believes that it is the lesser Houses that bear the brunt of the violence in war while members of larger Houses are better protected and are not in the worst of the fighting.
When Adair was 14 and Owen was kidnapped (Krypton should have the details of the kidnapping) and she had to take on the role of the Sotheling family future. The marriage that she was able to attain would determine what happened to the family and its lands. When Owen escaped and returned her Adair was forced to return to her prior role as bargaining chip. She has had trouble accepting her new role as Owen seems bent on revenge and tends toward violence which he abhors as well as her own arrogance which makes her believe she is more competent and knows what is best. She worries that he will lead the Sothelings in the wrong direction and will bring more death and possibly even destruction to the House. She is torn between her duty to her House and her terror that her child will be coerced or forced into war and will die.

Last edited by Krypton; 20th of December, 2010 at 13:42.
Unread 14th of December, 2010, 21:46
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
I've responded to your inquiry in my own thread. Kennyth took on partial regency during the time when he was of age and both Adair and Owyn were too young. It is likely that when Adair began putting greater thought into possibly being the future of the House that Kennyth took her under his wing.

The two characters are similar in skills and motivation. It is likely that their time co-running the House, while Owyn was kidnapped, solidified their relationship and goals.
Unread 20th of December, 2010, 12:49
TeamFischer
Skeleton

Visenya Sotheling
Role: Fighter/Schemer
Background: Happy Childhood
Goal: Security (family)
Motivation: Duty
Virtue: Devoted
Vice: Ruthless
Abilities
Agility: 3
Awareness: 3 (Notice 1B, Empathy: 1B)
Endurance: 3
Fighting: 5 (Specialty, Short Bladed Weapons)
Language: 3
Stealth: 4 (Blend In 3B)
Survival: 3
Thievery: 3
Will: 3
Persuasion: 3
Deception: 3 (Disguise 1B)
Cunning: 3
Qualities
Face in the Crowd
Short Blade Fighter I
Short Blade Fighter II
Drawback
Nemesis
Intreage Defence: 8
Composure: 9
Combat Defence: 9
Health: 9
AR: 1
Stiletto: Damage 3, Piercing 3 (with Short Blade I)
Visenya is the Handmaiden and cohort to Adair. Vis as people call her is the older sister of Daegon Sotheling. She is a short, lithe woman who takes after her mother to the point where she has no obvious Targaryen features. He father taught her how to fight when she was younger as he knows well that knights and soldiers can be knaves. She embraced these lessons when House Sotheling called upon her to be a hidden protector of Adair. Visenya is very devoted to family, both her husband Bradly who is a member of the Red Lances and the Sothelings who protect her family’s secret from the Targaryen hating King Robert. She wants to have a family of her own but has yet been able to get pregnant. Her devotion to the Sothelings and to Adair, who she views as a little sister, drives her to hone her fighting skills and have lead her to acts of extreme violence. Visenya uses a stiletto and has an uncanny ability to appear to be just another random face in the crowd. Her watchful eye, sly fighting style, and sympathetic ear serve Adair well.
I created Vis for Adair but Krypton will be playing her as an NPC.
Any advice or corrects would be great too.
Unread 20th of December, 2010, 20:10
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Well this ( Visenya ) really is rather different from the conception I have of this branch of the family tree. I like the name Visenya, and the presentation of her so far by Krypton so far. I'm not sure how I feel however at her basically being built as what largely appears to be a combat-centered role. As well as the assumption that this was trained into her by my ( our? ) family, against what I perceive as the mores of the culture of the setting.

I understand fully the desire to get the meta-game benefit of a guardian/combative support for your social character with your 'Cohort' quality. I think however that you can get that rather easily in a different manner ( a favored guardsman that has been nigh-permanently assigned to being your bodyguard for example ), without disrupting gender-notions and the like.

There is no reason you can't have both a guard and a lady-in-waiting, right?

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 21st of December, 2010, 01:28
TeamFischer
Skeleton

I don't really see a female with some fighting ability as unacceptably outside the norm. In the books there a more than a few examples of women who fight. Arya (by necessity), Brienne of Tarth, the Sand Snakes, Daenerys’ Blood Riders, and Asha of Pyke all come to mind. She also has Targaryen blood and they more than any family in Westeros did as they pleased, convention be damned.
The other defense I would make is that Visenya can fight but isn’t really a fighter. I conceived that she would be more of a spy/sounding board for Adair but with a very limited role as protector. Vis is good at sneaking and blending in which allows her to protect her in ways that her more conventional and important male guards can not. Vis will be able to be with Adair when and when men could not.
That said, if people don’t think she works for the game I’ll make some changes.
Unread 21st of December, 2010, 02:01
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
Yeah - if you'll look, the girl isn't a stand-up fighter in the least. She's a little bit tough to hit, sure, but when you catch her... Yipes!

Plus, Owyn's paranoia would make him want his sister to have a secret bodyguard, since she's wholly incapable of protecting herself. And a man who follows his sister around all day? Just wouldn't be proper, at all. How tongues would wag!
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 21st of December, 2010, 20:43
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
- My concern with the fighting role is two-fold. One that I view the family lineage as being rather starkly traditional in a 'We aren't bastards damnit' kind of reaction. A desire to be respectable, and girls who fight aren't respectable in the culture of this setting. Yes some are in the books. But it is plain and clear that it isn't 'normal' or acceptable/proper. So making it a 'major' point of the character and her build I think isn't true to the context of the family that I had in mind. i.e. the second point being the assumption that she got her combative training from her father, which for the same reasons isn't something I think would have happened. This is part of why I gave Daegon the 'Haughty/Honor-Bound/Unsubtle' combination of flaws that I did. Deagon doesn't necessarily have to know, but he certainly wouldn't approve of his sister going out into the dark to do sneaky blade-work for example.

- I quibble with myself back and forth whether her status would be better as a three. Also I think that even with a two, her position is not such that she is a 'mingle with the small-folk' kind of person. Perhaps I just have a different mental image of this person and her social position. I stated that I thought marrying a Red Lance family would be marrying down for example, rather than staying equal or going up as most families desire. What do you envision, for example, with the status of two that you gave her?

I suppose part of that would be the 'covert agent' desired role for the cohort, in a context that makes sense to stay in accompaniment to Lady Adair, and that is understandable. I am just having trouble reconciling some of that with the rigidly tradition upbringing and social status that I envision etc. Which perhaps is not the same sort of thing that you had in mind at all. I could also be getting false impressions from the admittedly thin run of posts we have so far.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 22nd of December, 2010, 03:03
TeamFischer
Skeleton

Ok, I think I better understand your objections now. Visenya doesn’t fit into the family you had imagined for Daegon. That’s fair, I did have a different mental picture of the family but it’s your creation and you should get final say. I think the easiest thing would be to change Visenya’s orgins. Either make her a bastard of your father or, if you prefer, just give her a different family. Being part of your family has no effect on her character other than to give her a relationship with you so changing that is an easy fix.

As for the status issue, I think that a 2 is reasonable. She is the handmaiden to the daughter of a pretty minor lord. Outside of Summerhall I can’t imagine Visenya’s name carrying much weight. As for her relationship to the small-folk, as Adair’s handmaiden she is still a servant, just a privileged one. More importantly, I don’t see how any members of our family don’t have a lot of contact with small-folk. I see our lands as small with a small population of peasants living in close proximity and contact to the castle. I also imagined our old lands as even smaller and with our hall being the center of a village/hamlet. What were you picturing? What do other people think? Maybe we should come to some consensus as a group on this.

I had assumed that marriage to and anointed, but not landed, knight was about right for Visenya. Seems to me that both she and her husband would have some stature in the castle and town due to their proximity to the Sothelings but were both hoping to raise their station through good service. Could be off on that though.

Let me know what you think and we’ll get this fixed. I like Vis the way she is but would be happy to remove her from you family if she doesn’t fit.