Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon > The Inner Sanctum

Unread 22nd of October, 2005, 05:52
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Chapter Nine - The Cliqued Plot

We're coming up to a new chapter and a new plot-arc so once more I'm putting the sub-forum I was against to use. To put it bluntly, we'll need some new plot ideas!

It's Gral's turn to have a plot about his character and I don't know how much he wants to give away so I'll be vague. We'll be keeping things fresh by having Shade run off on her own, and then rest of the party go rescue her.

For my part I was thinking of having a subplot dealing with Nicos' past turn up, something which should be able to work well solely as a background thing. To sum it up, Nicos encounters someone he knows from the old days. This person tells Nicos that Saelyn is sick and is dieing.

Now I haven’t covered a lot about Saelyn, pretty much all I have is that she's an elf, she was a slave at the same time as him, she helped him recover when he lost his arm, she taught him to be a bard, they were lovers and that they didn't part on good terms.

It should work well to provide lots of angst, no combat and finally let the other characters a glimpse at Nicos' past. That said if I can't find a place for it to quietly slip in, I'll just push it back.

Anyone have any other idea's they'd like to pursue?
Unread 22nd of October, 2005, 06:05
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Well, the mysterious stranger is going to vanish but not before giving Shade an ultimatum to meet him elsewhere so she can repay him for rescuing her. To that end, she's going to part ways with the others, though she isn't going to reveal the stranger or her reasons for leaving.

I spoke with itches a little about why Nicos might persuade the others to follow her, and I need to speak to Cadrius about it too. Other than that, suffice to say she's going to a city and she'll be getting involved in a war between two theives' guilds.
Unread 22nd of October, 2005, 07:20
itches

After that I was thinking we could go meddle in a fued between barbarian tribes. Slowly but surely we'll work our way through the classes!
Unread 26th of October, 2005, 22:46
itches

Spoken to Cadrius yet?
Unread 26th of October, 2005, 23:15
Gralhruk

I mentioned it to him and he's thinking about it.
Unread 14th of November, 2005, 00:24
itches

And...?
Unread 15th of November, 2005, 00:24
Gralhruk

Apparently he's a slow thinker.
Unread 15th of November, 2005, 00:43
itches

I might just have to take back that trophy
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 17:31
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Somehow, I was oblivious to this thread. Thoughts to follow.
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 17:42
Cadrius

Thoughts.
  • I'm all for this in general. Obviously, Gral has the reigns here and we don't need an excess of details beforehand. I just want to verify that there's a definitive plot to follow.
  • While Shade should be the main focus, I'd like to see little developments for most of the characters. Cadrius has been static, experience (not the game mechanic) and personality wise, for far too long.
  • I'm searching for an overarching plot we can latch onto. What we have here might be a good starting point. However, I'd like to better define the Citadel in terms of power. There's going to be a LOT of unhappy wizards after this. We agreed that magic is rare, that's fine. Yet just how adept are these folks? I don't need statistics, just a ballpark.
  • Saelyn can be an excellent plot device to get us to vastly change our scenery. Chasing Shade will likely still keep us in the same geographic region. Going to find a sick elf will have us moving east or south (most likely). If we wanted to set up for a future chapter (10, 11, 12) in a city area, this would be a good place to start. I've had a bit of a hankering to start dealing with Cadrius' past but that can wait until a future time.
  • I'd like to get us involved in the metaplot elements going on in the world: wars, successions, etc. We needn't be key players, but at the moment we're out in the wild and aren't really affected by the rest of the world.

Those are just the thoughts that immediately spring to mind. I'll post some more later.

Oh and it's "dying" not "dieing." It's a common mistake.
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 21:18
itches

“ Oh and it's "dying" not "dieing." It's a common mistake. ”
I'm just happy when other people understand what I said.
Unread 2nd of December, 2005, 00:24
Gralhruk

Input from Cadrius! I'm beside myself with joy!
Unread 2nd of December, 2005, 00:55
Gralhruk

Thoughts on thoughts:

“ Originally Posted by Cadrius
  • I'm all for this in general. Obviously, Gral has the reigns here and we don't need an excess of details beforehand. I just want to verify that there's a definitive plot to follow.
”
I've been thinking things through, so I have some general ideas of what I want to happen where Shade is concerned. They are gradually getting more specific. I don't think there will be a guild war in the manner I was thinking earlier. Instead, I'm thinking she will start working for the mysterious stranger.

• While Shade should be the main focus, I'd like to see little developments for most of the characters. Cadrius has been static, experience (not the game mechanic) and personality wise, for far too long.
”
Right, I'd like to see development for the other characters as well. Having Shade center all her activities around the politics between two thieve's guild would likely leave her with little interaction with everyone else. So, as I said, I'm sort of abandoning the heavy thieve's guild involvement. Basically, I want her in a city type setting where she will eventually be forced into a confrontation with Ricard. I'm struggling a little with how to connect her to the other characters though.

• I'm searching for an overarching plot we can latch onto. What we have here might be a good starting point. However, I'd like to better define the Citadel in terms of power. There's going to be a LOT of unhappy wizards after this. We agreed that magic is rare, that's fine. Yet just how adept are these folks? I don't need statistics, just a ballpark.
”
Well, they spirited Cadogan off with teleportation, so the real powerful guys are at least 10th level. Maybe higher. But there aren't going to be terribly many that powerful. Some backlash from Shade killing a wizard or two in that final battle might serve to tie her back to the group once more.

• Saelyn can be an excellent plot device to get us to vastly change our scenery. Chasing Shade will likely still keep us in the same geographic region. Going to find a sick elf will have us moving east or south (most likely). If we wanted to set up for a future chapter (10, 11, 12) in a city area, this would be a good place to start. I've had a bit of a hankering to start dealing with Cadrius' past but that can wait until a future time.
”
It is entirely possible that the city Shade heads for contains something that pushes Cadrius in that respect. Maybe it has something that reminds him of his past, or he comes across something that rekindles his desire to serve Heironeous. Could be anything really. As far as Saelyn, perhaps the city houses a few agents from Nicos' secret society.

• I'd like to get us involved in the metaplot elements going on in the world: wars, successions, etc. We needn't be key players, but at the moment we're out in the wild and aren't really affected by the rest of the world.
”
Agreed. I like to have such things going on in the background because it really is a great mood setter. It's also a way to generate hooks to interact with the setting. War is good for that sort of thing. Maybe there has been escalating tension between a couple of kingdoms, maybe a few skirmishes but nothing formally declared. Cities would be buzzing with that sort of thing - smiths working to churn out arms and armor, mercenary companies sitting around waiting to see who bids for them, etc.
Unread 2nd of December, 2005, 01:14
itches

“ As far as Saelyn, perhaps the city houses a few agents from Nicos' secret society. ”
I'll be leaving that particular ... 'plot thing' to gather dust for the time being. When it's needed I'll just find a way to have Nicos bump into an old friend. I have some ideas for when they meet Saelyn and beyond, but this isn't the place for it.
Unread 2nd of December, 2005, 03:48
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
“ Originally Posted by Gralhruk
“ Originally Posted by cadrius I'd like to get us involved in the metaplot elements going on in the world: wars, successions, etc. We needn't be key players, but at the moment we're out in the wild and aren't really affected by the rest of the world. ”
Agreed. I like to have such things going on in the background because it really is a great mood setter. It's also a way to generate hooks to interact with the setting. War is good for that sort of thing. Maybe there has been escalating tension between a couple of kingdoms, maybe a few skirmishes but nothing formally declared. Cities would be buzzing with that sort of thing - smiths working to churn out arms and armor, mercenary companies sitting around waiting to see who bids for them, etc.
”
Perhaps something involving orcs? That would help tie Blarth into things again, as currently he's just kind of hanging on.

Maybe rumors of organized orcs conducting raids into nearby lands have put the kingdom we end up in on a war prep footing. This could naturally lead to an escalation of racist sentiments which would push Blarth away from meeting and interacting with new people, and strengthening his existing relationships with the party.

Later on (maybe in a later chapter) an actual raid into the area where the party is could lead to a situation where Blarth's background comes in handy.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 00:37
itches

Rumours of an orc war leader? We wouldn't be right on the edge of wilderness, but we need to not be so far into civilisation that it seems impossible either.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 00:43
Gralhruk

It could tie back into the earlier orc activity in Karkas. I think at some point we either implied or discussed the possibility of that having something to do with corruption in the church of Hieroneous.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 00:50
itches

Corrupt menbers of the church of Hieroneous are attempting to size power in a kindom via a coup?
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 04:15
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Well, maybe not a coup, as that would be kind of obvious, leaving them open to blame when things start to go bad. I'd say a plan a little more subtle.

Annoyed/upset/angry over the declining influence of the church of Heironious (and therefore their own power) several corrupt church members have been working behind the scenes to prop up an orc leader, creating an outside enemy and threat to the kingdom. As the kingdom marches towards war because of this threat, the church's power and influence should grow due to its military might allowing these church leaders to gain power but have the appearence of having it forced on them by the circumstances, and thus taking it out of duty, rather than siezing it by force.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 04:18
Gralhruk

I like it. So, Cadrius, what do you think?
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 04:21
itches

“ several corrupt church members have been working behind the scenes to prop up an orc leader, creating an outside enemy and threat to the kingdom. As the kingdom marches towards war because of this threat, the church's power and influence should grow due to its military might allowing these church leaders to gain power but have the appearence of having it forced on them by the circumstances, and thus taking it out of duty, rather than siezing it by force. ”
I dunno. Will we have lightsabres?
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 04:24
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

One armed bards can't have lightsabers. We've been over this before.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 04:26
itches

Star wars would make a good bards plot. I must remember to steal it for next chapter.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 06:45
Cadrius

“ Originally Posted by Gralhruk I like it. So, Cadrius, what do you think? ”
I rather enjoy it. My only stipulation is that I'd like to see the local hierarchy get away with it. Us riding into town and exposing them makes me think of the high priest saying, "And I would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

I'd also like to see them bite off more than they can chew. Perhaps the orcish leader is particularly bright or has some devious shaman helping him strategize. The kingdom, or church, would likely seek to hire on any local mercenaries or adventurers. That's probably where we'd start. Where we go from there is up in the air.
Unread 7th of December, 2005, 09:26
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Cadrius I'd also like to see them bite off more than they can chew. Perhaps the orcish leader is particularly bright or has some devious shaman helping him strategize. The kingdom, or church, would likely seek to hire on any local mercenaries or adventurers. That's probably where we'd start. Where we go from there is up in the air. ”
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to plan to far into the future. Still, if we're all on the same page then it might be good to plan how that'll happen, and when.