Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Gralhruk's Games > The Grey Apparel of Ghosts > The Inn at the Edge of the World > The Seekers of the Dreaming Serpent

Unread 16th of March, 2012, 06:55
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Post Character Creation Rules (such as they are)

Basics
  • Starting level 4
  • 36 point buy for statistics
  • Starting gold is 5,400
  • Hit points will be maximum for level 1, and then 3/4 maximum for each level thereafter. If there is any fractional result, round down on even levels and round up on odd levels.
  • Traits (from Unearthed Arcana) are allowed
  • No flaws are allowed
  • All published WotC 3.5 and 3.0 books (excluding setting specific sources, Dungeon magazine & Dragon magazine) are allowed. Anything outside the listed allowable source material needs to be approved first.
  • Races of the campaign are generally standard PHB. However, the norms for all races vary more widely than standard, so skin / hair / eye color encompass a very large range. Slight deformities / abnormalities (for example, those evidenced by the less exotic teiflings/genasi/aasimar) are also generally considered normal, and as such many near human races pass as human. That said, I'm open to more exotic races on a case by case basis although I'd very much prefer to stay away from templates and level adjustments.

Rules Modifications
  • Instead of starting with 1 first level feat you get 2. Thus a human character would gain three feats at first level: 1 for being human and 2 for being character level 1.
  • Feats are gained at every even level (ie. 2,4,6,8,etc.)
  • Retraining of feats is allowed at any odd level excluding first
  • Ability score improvement is slightly changed - it now works similar to point buy. Instead of gaining 1 point every four levels, you gain 4 points every four levels. The cost to raise an ability score is the same as for initial point buy. So, to raise an ability score by one point use the following costs: if the current score is less than 14 it costs 1 point, if the current score is 14-15 it costs 2 points, 16-17 costs 3 points and anything over 18 costs 4 points.
  • Any class listed as having 2 skill points per level is changed to 4 points per level - except wizards because INT is their casting stat, so they should have plenty of skill points anyway
  • No multi-classing penalties or favored class mechanic
  • Any feat with a BAB requirement is now converted to a level requirement (ie. BAB +6 now means Character level 6)
  • Weapon appearance: You can change the appearance of your weapon as desired - meaning, you can use the mechanics for one weapon and the appearance of another (within reason, anyway). That is, you can take exotic weapon proficiency (Spiked Chain) but re-fluff the appearance to any other weapon - say, for example, a quarterstaff. So your "quarterstaff" would do 2d4 damage, be large sized, and have 10' threat range.
  • Characters will start with one Fate Point (similar to hero points or action points; see the Fate Points section)
  • Characters will start with two FATE style Aspects (see the Aspects section)
  • Characters will gain 2 skills from any class list so long as they are related in some way to their Defining Aspect (and I'm prepared to be fairly lenient here). These skills will always be at maximum rank for your character level for free. Yes, you read that correctly.

Fate Points
A Fate Point gives players the ability to take a little bit of control over the game by giving their character bonuses when they feel they need them. Once a fate point is used, it is gone and the character deducts the Fate Point from their available pool. Fate Points are gained when an Aspect is compelled as detailed in the Aspects section.

Characters may, at any point, spend a fate point to:
  • Gain a bonus: At any time on their turn a character can spend a Fate Point to gain a +2 bonus on a roll, a +2 bonus to AC, or to automatically stabalise
  • Invoke one of your Aspects: When an Aspect is applicable to a situation it can be invoked to grant a bonus (see the Aspects section) by spending a Fate Point on it
  • Invoke an Aspect that is not yours: Scenes, other characters, locations, and other things of dramatic importance can have Aspects. Sometimes they’re obvious, and sometimes they’re less so. Players can spend a Fate Point to invoke an Aspect which is not on their own character sheet, if they know what the Aspect is. As a rule of thumb, invoking someone or something else’s Aspects requires a little more justification than invoking one of your own Aspects.

Aspects
An Aspect is a phrase, sentence, or character quote that describes some part of your character. It could describe their physical nature, world outlook, modus operandi, history, background, beliefs, or even things like their relationships or organizations they belong to. In any case it should be something important about (or important to) the character. Aspects are blantantly ripped off from the FATE RPG. You can find lots of information about Fate Points and Aspects here.

You will gain two aspects - a Defining Aspect which represents something you see as central to your character's coolness, and a Complication Aspect which represents some challenge that your character occaisionally faces. When choosing these Aspects, try and think of situations where they would impact the character - in other words, situations in which you'd want to use them (or where they could make things more difficult).

At this point, I'm sure you are all thinking of ways to make your Defining Aspect as broad as possible while minimizing the effects of your Complication Aspect. Don't do that!. Aspects require that they are applicable in order to be of any use, and by "applicable" I mean in an obvious sense. A character with the Defining Aspect of Lucky might seem applicable in any circumstance, but we're talking about something that defines the character. It isn't lucky every single time you swing a sword - it would truly be lucky if you were a wizard swinging the fighter's sword at a dragon and you hit it, if you can see the difference there. Specific aspects are far more interesting than general ones, because they imply a variety of situations where they might be useful, situations where they wouldn't be useful, and situations where they could make things difficult. So, something like Elite Ninja of the Setting Sun Brotherhood implies something about your character's qualities along with a bunch of other possible uses - contacts in an organization, enemies, etc. - that makes it interesting for it to come into play in a number of different ways, some that will help and some that could hinder.

So why would you want to make your own life difficult? As mentioned previously, Aspects can be invoked for a bonus in order to help you. On the flip side, when an Aspect creates problems for you it is said that the Aspect compels the character. When the player ends up in a situation where his Aspect suggests a problematic course of action, the GM should offer the player a choice: he can spend a Fate Point to ignore the Aspect, or he can act in accordance with the Aspect and gain a Fate Point. As you can see, complications are how you gain Fate Points which means you can use the difficulties caused by your Aspects to your advantage.
  • Invoke: As mentioned above, Aspects can be invoked by spending a Fate Point when you can reasonably justify that the aspect applies. When you invoke an aspect you gain a +4 bonus to a die roll or you may re-roll the dice.
  • Compel: When an Aspect is compelled the player must either spend a Fate Point to ignore the Aspect or act in accordance with the Aspect and gain a Fate Point. Acting in accordance will generally mean accepting a -5 penalty on a given action, but could also mean something else such as abandoning a particular action.
  • Defining Aspect: Pick some quality that encapsulates the essence of the character. This Aspect can be invoked for free once per encounter. It can be also be invoked by spending a Fate Point when applicable or compelled by the GM as applicable.
  • Complication Aspect: Pick some quality about your character that causes some kind of difficulty for them - be it a personality trait, a bad habit, a nemesis, an old vendetta, or some physical problem. This Aspect can be invoked by spending a Fate Point when applicable or compelled by the GM as applicable.
Unread 23rd of March, 2012, 00:21
Gralhruk

Weapon appearance: You can change the appearance of your weapon as desired - meaning, you can use the mechanics for one weapon and the appearance of another (within reason, anyway). That is, you can take exotic weapon proficiency (Spiked Chain) but re-fluff the appearance to any other weapon - say, for example, a quarterstaff. So your "quarterstaff" would do 2d4 damage, be large sized, and have 10' threat range.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 04:08
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Could you edit the information on FATE rules into the character creation post?

And how do we determine hit points?
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 00:03
Gralhruk

I haven't decided on hit points yet - max at first level, definitely. After that, I'm not sure yet - we can roll (with half as the minimum) or go with a flat 3/4 or just use max. Putting on your GM hats, what do you all think?

And I'll re-organize the character creation rules and put up more detail on the FATE stuff.
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 00:14
Tashalar

In my game I use the 3/4 rule as that penalizes no one. Half+1 is better for lower hit dice for instance.

I don't like maximum hit points. That's unnecessary imo.

So my vote would be for 3/4 or roll with half HD being the minimum (if you and/or the others prefer a random element in determining hit points).
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 02:04
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I'd prefer either just taking the average, or just rolling (no lower cap).
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 03:48
Gralhruk

Okay, character creation rules have been updated. I think that covers everything I've said thus far with the exception of hit points. If I've missed anything, let me know .
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 05:31
Malachei
Tiny Zombie

Member: #1597
On Hit Points, I'd really like us to have average (whether 3/4 of the die or 1/2, I don't care much), because HP are so important to characters, and if you botch these first rolls, it will be a baggage for the whole game.
Unread 27th of March, 2012, 12:19
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
I dislike rolling hit points. It seems to me to enfeeble a character for little game benefit unless a GM prefers tentative characters.
Unread 28th of March, 2012, 11:29
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Max hit points all the way. Let the characters be heroes.
Unread 2nd of April, 2012, 02:31
Tashalar

Didn't you also want to include the change to ability raises?
Unread 2nd of April, 2012, 10:27
Gralhruk

You know, I had that in the first version and when I reformatted it I forgot to put it in. I'll take care of it tomorrow.
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 02:28
Gralhruk

Okay, attribute increases are in the rules post.

For hit points, since I think we've gotten all the input we're going to get, I'm going to just go with max hit points at first level, 3/4 max hit points per level after that.

The next thing that came to mind is initiative. I think that Group Initiative is easiest and most flexible for PbP. The way it would work is that I average out the initiative modifier across the entire group of PCs, then average out the initiative modifier across the enemies. We roll one initiative die for each side to determine which side has the initiative - PCs or enemies.

For the PCs, this means that when it is the PCs turn, then you simply post your action without regard for which PC goes in which order. It's basically open - whoever posts first, goes first. When all the PCs have acted, I'll act for all enemies. It makes it a little easier to run, as we don't have to have everyone roll initiative nor do we need to wait for a specific player (or GM) to post in combat before anyone else can post.

The other option is individual initiative, which I think will slow combat down although if that's how everyone wants to play it I can be convinced of it.

So, what do you all say - individual initiative or group initiative?
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 03:02
Tashalar

Group!
Unread 4th of April, 2012, 01:44
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Group, but I like CD's variation on that. He would roll for everyone individually and then move people up and down to create either 2 PC groups (fast and slow) and one monster group (in between) or 2 monster groups and 1 PC group or 1 group of each. This really only affected the first round, when it was possible that only some of the PCs or some of the monsters would go first. After that, it devolves into the same two group cycle that you described. The advantage here is that PCs who have abilities are initiative dependent aren't penalized by adventuring with really low initiative PCs.

While CD was somewhat ambiguous, here's how I would codify the system:
  1. Roll initiative for everyone separately.
  2. If the highest roll is a PC, then the first group to go is a PC group. If it is a monster, then a monster group goes first.
  3. If the lowest roll is a PC, then the last group to go is a PC group. If it is a monster, then a monster group goes first.
  4. If either the PCs or the Monsters are going both first and last, then the first round is conducted as fast PC/Monster-Monster/PC. Move all members of the split group to either the fast or slow group (which doesn't act in the first round) based on whichever initiative result is closer to theirs. Subsequent rounds are run as PC/Monster-Monster/PC.
  5. If the PCs go first and the Monsters last (of vis versa) then all rounds are run in the normal alternating fashion.
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 00:21
Gralhruk

So . . . if I'm understanding your suggestion we have really three basic configurations. I'm going to use GroupA and GroupB, rather than PCs and monsters. For clarity, I'm just going to do it from one side - GroupA always wins initiative, but obviously we could swap A & B in both scenarios.

Configuration 1 - GroupA's results are disparate enough to warrant a fast group and slow group in GroupA, but only one group in GroupB

Round1: GroupA1 - GroupB - GroupA2
Round2: GroupA - GroupB

Configuration 2 - GroupA's results are close enough that only one group is formed, and there is only one group in GroupB

Round1: GroupA - GroupB

Configuration 3 - GroupA's results are disparate enough to warrant a fast group and slow group in GroupA, and so are GroupB's

Round1: GroupA1 - GroupB1 - GroupA2 - GroupB2

Is this what you are saying?
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 06:11
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

No, only one group is ever split into fast and slow. Using your group configurations there would be two configurations:

Configuration 1 - GroupA's results are disparate enough to warrant splitting it.

Round 1: GroupAfast - GroupB
Round "2": GroupA - GroupB

Note: Round "2" is really the end of round 1 (for those in GroupAslow) and the beginning of round 2 (for those in GroupAfast) combined.

Configuration 2 - As you described above.
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 06:16
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

An example:

Initiative Rolls:
PC 1: 7
PC 2: 19
PC 3: 20
PC 4: 11
PC 5: 20
Monster 1: 16
Monster 2: 8
Monster 3: 5
Monster 4: 14
Monster 5: 8

PC 5 has the highest initiative roll (he wins the tie-breaker with PC 3). A PC group will act first.

Monster 3 has the lowest initiative roll. A Monster group will act last.

This triggers Configuration 2 with PCs as GroupA and Monsters as Group B.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 5th of April, 2012 at 06:23.
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 06:22
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

A second example (monster 3 rolls better, but rolls are otherwise the same):

Initiative Rolls:
PC 1: 7
PC 2: 19
PC 3: 20
PC 4: 11
PC 5: 20
Monster 1: 16
Monster 2: 8
Monster 3: 12
Monster 4: 14
Monster 5: 8

PC 5 has the highest initiative roll (he wins the tie-breaker with PC 3). A PC group will act first.

PC 1 has the lowest initiative roll. A PC group will act last.

This triggers Configuration 1 with PCs 3, 5 (20 is closer to 20 than to 7), & 2 (19 is closer to 20 than to 7) as GroupAfast, PCs 1 & 4 (11 is closer to 7 than to 20) as GroupAslow, and the Monsters as GroupB.
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 10:56
Paco
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1005
Quick question on the hit point house rule. I get that we're doing 3/4 max hit points after first level, but as a rogue, 3/4 of a d6 would mean 4.5. Do you want me to round up or down? Or do I do something less mathematical and more creative like take 4 one level and 5 the next?
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 21:50
Gralhruk

Originally Posted by Paco Or do I do something less mathematical and more creative like take 4 one level and 5 the next?
This, I'm thinking, is the way to go. Round down on even levels, up on odd levels.
Unread 7th of April, 2012, 06:51
Paco
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1005
Sounds good.
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 01:30
Gralhruk

Originally Posted by Black Plauge # No, only one group is ever split into fast and slow. Using your group configurations there would be two configurations:

Configuration 1 - GroupA's results are disparate enough to warrant splitting it.

Round 1: GroupAfast - GroupB
Round "2": GroupA - GroupB

Note: Round "2" is really the end of round 1 (for those in GroupAslow) and the beginning of round 2 (for those in GroupAfast) combined.

Configuration 2 - As you described above.
So, this seems simple enough to me. The only (possible) downside is that everyone has to roll for initiative before we can get underway. On the other hand, we don't need to average out initiative rolls. What do y'all want to do?
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 01:43
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
Originally Posted by Gralhruk # this seems simple enough to me
L.O.L.

But it doesn't matter if I think it's simple or not, because I'm not going to worry about it. Somebody just tell me when it's my turn.

You mention a possible downside, but I think we can avoid that if we let you (Gral) roll initiative for everyone. Then you don't have to wait for anybody. Once you decide we're in combat, you roll and post the order.
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 01:43
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
You could just do the initiative rolling. Saves you waiting for us.