Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 4th of November, 2005, 05:24
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek listens as the gnome translates the commander's words. "If you are the commander of this outpost, who is in charge of the overall effort? Where is the headquarters? I realize you must be skeptical of questions from a stranger like myself. I humbly submit to any spells you may wish to cast to determine my virtue."
  #27  
Unread 7th of November, 2005, 14:35
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
"I don't mind answering those questions." Clenet shrugs, "The answers to those questions are not secrets at all, and these beings have powers beyond even the wildest imagnation. Anyways, the Alliance is composed of several political and religious powers. The political powers has its center in Waterdeep, far to the west, being the Lord's Council. Other nearly nations, as well as religions such as Mystra's, Azuth's, Chauntal's, and most other good deities also pledge their help."
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #28  
Unread 12th of November, 2005, 08:49
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Forgive my ignorance, but what prevents your enemies from teleporting themselves directly into Myth Drannor?"
  #29  
Unread 14th of November, 2005, 13:25
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
"Into Myth Drannor?" Clenet shakes his head and shrugs. "Nothing, actually. The fact is, too many adventurers have attempted such a stunt before the Zhentil army even gets here. Whatever the reason, from experience, it's extremely unlikely someone can locate the Mythal without the luxury of time and space here, which is exactly what we are denying our opponents of right now."
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #30  
Unread 15th of November, 2005, 13:42
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Through the translator, Zeek thanks the commander for his time. He thanks the translator for his help as well, and asks him if he is ready to return to the druidic grove.
  #31  
Unread 15th of November, 2005, 15:03
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
Eelic nods, "If there are no more need of me, I will be returning to the grove now. Perhaps it might be difficult for you as the Common tongues are different, but non-Human languages such as Elven, Draconic, and so on should serve as means of communication for you no problem."
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #32  
Unread 16th of November, 2005, 10:49
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek agrees, privately wishing he spoke any of those languages.

He returns to the druidic site and grooves with nature.

That night he sleeps in tree shape form as usual. In the morning he studies "tree stride" instead of "rejuvination cocoon."

Zeek studies the local flora and fauna for the next day, and takes a good nap in the afternoon. He waits until nightfall before he casts windwalk and tree stride on himself and his tiger. His plan is to use both spells together to travel into Myth Drannor, evading those who guard it. In cloud form he will teleport from tree to tree until he gets as close as possible to the center of Myth Drannor, then he will explore the ruins in cloud form.
  #33  
Unread 17th of November, 2005, 04:29
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
Greengrass, DR 1377, Year of the Haunting.

Night emerges, and you prepare your stealthy move into Myth Drannor. Stepping into trees after trees, you eventually reach Myth Drannor where no other sizeable plants are found for you to travel further. Above ground in cloud form, you observe the ancient ruins and the army formations that are visible.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #34  
Unread 17th of November, 2005, 06:42
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek descends to ground level near the center of the ruins, as far as possible for the military forces.

He looks around and listens carefully for several minutes to ensure that he is alone (spot +7, listen +25), then commands Number 3 Tiger to guard him while he casts a spell.

Zeek places his hand on the earth and communes with nature, seeking to determine the location of underground construction more than twenty feet deep beneath the ruins. He also inquires what type of soil or minerals are beneath the ruins (i.e. how deep is the soil and what makes up the layer beneath it), and senses the presence of any powerful unnatural creatures in the area outside of the ruins.


(OOC the spell only works in natural settings but hopefully it can reveal what areas underground are still natural and therefore ipso facto which areas are not. With his practiced caster feat the range is 1500 ft radius underground, and 15 miles above ground (only functioning beyond the ruins aboveground of course).

Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
You become one with nature, attaining knowledge of the surrounding territory. You instantly gain knowledge of as many as three facts from among the following subjects: the ground or terrain, plants, minerals, bodies of water, people, general animal population, presence of woodland creatures, presence of powerful unnatural creatures, or even the general state of the natural setting.
In outdoor settings, the spell operates in a radius of 1 mile per caster level. In natural underground settings—caves, caverns, and the like—the radius is limited to 100 feet per caster level. The spell does not function where nature has been replaced by construction or settlement, such as in dungeons and towns.
  #35  
Unread 17th of November, 2005, 15:35
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
From the spell, you find that the surrounding area's terrain and features correspond to your survey from the sky, with little out of the ordinary. Above ground, the only thing of note is that there are several powerful unnatural creatures towards your north about half a mile away, slightly below ground level. As for underground, there are traces of unnatural magic, but you detect no tunnels or caves within the spell's area.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #36  
Unread 17th of November, 2005, 23:42
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Next Zeek will try to find some animals (squirrels, pigeons, wild dogs, etc) and talk to them using a "speak with animals" spell. He asks the animals whether there are any places nearby that are unnatural, or dangerous, or that they are unable to get into.
  #37  
Unread 18th of November, 2005, 04:37
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
The Animals simply inform you that everything has been normal. Some places in the forest are occupied by the armies and thus they stay far away from the scary people.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #38  
Unread 18th of November, 2005, 11:20
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek begins to search the ruins in a more conventional manner. He begins in the very center of Myth Drannor and then works his way outward in a spiral. He moves through each building, examining them while in cloud form. Number 3 Tiger follows in a travelling overwatch, also in cloud form, about 40 feet away.

Zeek plans to search throughout the night. He will depart from Myth Drannor about an hour before dawn, unless he finds something first.

(OOC: Search skill mod +18)
  #39  
Unread 20th of November, 2005, 14:44
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
Unfortunately, your search produces nothing of interest, and you leave the ancient site prior to dawn.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #40  
Unread 21st of November, 2005, 11:11
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek moves about a mile away, uses his tree shape spell and rests during the day in tree form. Number 3 Tiger hunts for his dinner and sleeps in the branches.

Zeek establishes a routine. Each day he sleeps in tree shape. After dark he casts longstrider and wild walk on himself and the tiger, then he returns to Myth Drannor in cloud form to search all night for the Mythal. He also keeps a lookout for other visitors. He searches using conventional means and with magic such as detect magic spells, true seeing, stone tell, and commune with nature. He attempts to use the spell "find the path", with the destination of "hiding place of the Mythal in Myth Drannor."

Each morning he leaves the ruins for a different spot out in the forest, and resumes tree shape.

OOC: He devotes all of his level zero spell slots to "detect magic." He takes 20 on search checks in each building. He moves through the buildings at a move rate of 10, and uses the breeze move rate of 60 outdoors.
ZEEK!'s new spell list:
Lvl00 DC17 6/day detect magic x6
Lvl01 DC18 7/day faierie fire, charm animal, cure light wounds,
goodberry, hide from animals, longstrider,
speak w/animals x2
Lvl02 DC19 7/day brambles (Complete Divine p156), briar web
(Complete Divine p156-7), chill metal,
lesser restoration, tree shape, nature's favor x2
(Complete Adventurer p153- +1 attack and damage/
3lvls for 1 min)
Lvl03 DC20 6/day call lightning x2, dominate animal, magic fang
greater, poison, speak with plants. not memorized:
infestation of maggots (Complete Divine p166)
Lvl04 DC21 5/day commune w/ nature, dispel magic, flame strike,
languor (Complete Divine p167), Freeze armor
(Frostburn p94). Not memorized: Cure Crit.
Lvl05 DC22 4/day baleful polymorph, call lightning storm, cure
critical wounds, revujination cocoon (Complete
Divine p177)
Lvl06 DC23 3/day dispel magic greater, find the path, stone tell.
Not memorized :cometfall (Complete Divine p159),
miasma (Complete Divine p168)
Lvl07 DC24 2/day true seeing, wind walk, heal (in spellstaff)
  #41  
Unread 21st of November, 2005, 14:34
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
Secondday, Firstweek Mirtul, DR 1377, Year of the Haunting.

After two days of search and making use of the Find the Path spell, in addition to the occational comflict between the two armies, you also note several underground tunnels that Drows occationally emerge to attack either side seemingly at random. While Find the Path informs you that you must travel downwards, the path it informs you constantly changes and you can never follow it for too long; you previous knowledge indicates that the Mythal must be deep underground, perhaps in the Underdark or even below that, and as the Underdark is everchanging, the spell, which truthfully lead you via the best path to your destination, also constantly revise according to the new information, thus it would be fairly difficult to discern a fixed course to take.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #42  
Unread 26th of November, 2005, 04:35
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
After his interview with the guard captain, Zeek was expecting a single allied force to be guarding the site. Instead, it appears that there are opposing armies contending for control, plus the drow.

Not only have the alliance failed to secure the site, but it seems pointless to Zeek for them to guard the Mythal from the surface. If the Mythal are underground, the evil drow are already closer to the Mythal then the alliance forces are.

These observations reinforce his suspicion that the alliance cannot guarantee the security of the Mythal.

Zeek attempts to identify which force on the surface is the alliance, and which forces are their evil foes. He examines the uniform insignia, looking for those that resemble Sir Clenet's soldiers. He also tries to judge from the behavior of the soldiers.
  #43  
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 00:26
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
You can easily discern the difference between the Alliance armies and the Zhentarim forces. The Alliance armies, while composed of different nationalities and political power, are identified easily by their closely intertwined campsites on the west side. The Zhentarims occupy the eastern end and clad in Black Armors with obvious symbol of Zhentarim or the Black Lord, Bane, which Clenet has informed you of, the religion of the leaders within such organization.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #44  
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 10:09
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Failing in his efforts to locate the Mythal, Zeek decides on a change of strategy. He is still determined to find and destroy them, but he decides to wait until fate shows him a better way to accomplish this.

In the meantime, he believes that he should devote his efforts to destroying the evil army of Zhenterim at Myth Drannor. They cannot be given any chance to secure the Mythal themselves. Besides, he despairs to see the good-aligned soldiers of the alliance suffer casualties.

His plan to battle the Zhentarim is this:

After spending the day in tree form, he will prepare his spells. First he will cast a greater magic fang spell on Number 3 Tiger, magically enhancing his bite attack.

Then he and Number 3 Tiger will assume cloud form via a wind walk spell, and he will set out to observe the Zhentarim camp.

Once the Zhentarim army has retired to rest in their camp (whatever time of day or night that may be), he will fly in cloud form to a point at least a mile away from the Zhentarim camp, assume physical form, and cast "control weather." He positions himself so that the area of effect will not include the alliance camp. He creates a storm in the area of effect.

Twenty minutes later, as the storm appears, he moves back towards the enemy camp in cloud form.

He finds a position that offers cover and/or concealment 150-200 feet outside of the Zhentarim camp, and assumes physical form (+10 hide with +1 per 10 ft of distance + bonus for storm). He casts a death ward on himself (just in case a powerful enemy leader detects him once he launches the attack).

He then will begin with a "Call Lightning Storm" spell, and follow it with two more spells of call lightning storm, casting the bolts as quickly as possible to carpet-bomb the enemy camp, then two ice storm spells.

Next he casts two call lighting spells, with two flame strikes mixed in for variety.

His goal is to inflict the maximum number of casualties on the enemy and disrupt them as much as possible. High value target list: #1: command and control, #2 spellcasters, #3 heavily armored targets

He will follow this program of spells until he is detected by the enemy or some measure is taken to counter the effectiveness of his attacks, in which case his reaction is yet to be determined based on events.


ZEEK!'s new spell list:
Lvl00 DC17 6/day create water, cure minor wound, detect magic,
mending, purify food and drink, read magic
Lvl01 DC18 7/day faierie fire, charm animal, cure light wounds,
goodberry, hide from animals, longstrider,
speak w/animals x2
Lvl02 DC19 7/day brambles (Complete Divine p156), briar web
(Complete Divine p156-7), chill metal,
lesser restoration, tree shape, nature's favor x2
(Complete Adventurer p153- +1 attack and damage/
3lvls for 1 min)
Lvl03 DC20 6/day call lightning x2, dominate animal, magic fang
greater, poison, speak with plants. not memorized:
infestation of maggots (Complete Divine p166)
Lvl04 DC21 5/day dispel magic, flame strike x2, ice storm x2
Lvl05 DC22 4/day call lightning storm x3, cure critical wounds
Lvl06 DC23 3/day death ward, dispel magic greater, revujination
cocoon (Complete Divine p177)
Lvl07 DC24 2/day control weather, wind walk

Last edited by crueldespot; 29th of November, 2005 at 16:35. Reason: revised action to comply with rules
  #45  
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 04:57
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
You proceed to locate a secured location and begins raining down death and destructions upon the Zhentarim camps. You can imagine their cursing on the weather pattern at the beginning, but soon your imagination becomes actual screaming from the camps, that even in the harsh weather reaches your ear hundreds of feet away. While you cannot mimic the "fire and brimstone" feel due to the lack of line of effect from your spell on a horizontal level, the destructive forces of nature do wonders on the Zhents.

Shortly after your Flamestrike spells and unleashing a couple of the lightning bolts from the Lightning Storm, you see 4 Human, three male and one female, appear suddenly near you. The female and another male clad in black full plate, greatswords in hand, where as the other two male appear to be unarmored, but one of them holds a heavy mace.

They do not seem to be happy.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #46  
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 10:54
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
"Nimen hao," says Zeek, which means "Hello, Y'all" in Shou. (free action).

Next he will turn invisible with his ninja ghost step ki power (swift action).

Then he will wild shape into a celestial dire bear (move action thanks to fast wildshape feat), and move 40 feet away (move action). Given a choice, he takes a route that has obstacles so that both running and charging are impossible.

Unfortunately, Number 3 Tiger can't be much help since he is still in cloud form. Zeek does not give him a command yet.
  #47  
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 15:44
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
With the uneven ground and the numerous tress inside the forest, you can prevent your opponent from charging with not much trouble. Despite your invisibility, the man holding the mace continues to follow your movement with his eyes while he says something you cannot understand. The rest of them do not seem to be able to detect invisibility, however it's no longer a concern when the mace-wielder incants and a burst of warm energy washes through you, negating your invisibility.

A brief conversation happens in the unknown local language, and you see the two swordsmen close in on you carefully, while the unarmored man stays at the back, eyeing you carefully while keeping his hand steady in mid-air.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #48  
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 16:28
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Zeek commands Number 3 Tiger to adopt physical form. It will take half a minute, but better late then never.

He then casts a spell to call down an ice storm on the two unarmored opponents who stayed back.

Then he moves further away.

OOC:
Handle animal companion -free action
Ice storm spell centered to affect the unarmed foe and the unarmed mace-wielding foe (no save, 3d6 bludgeoning and 2d6 cold dmg) - standard action

Move 40 ft away - move action.

Last edited by crueldespot; 30th of November, 2005 at 21:16.
  #49  
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 09:26
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.20 per day)
Moments before you complete your spell, five energy missiles spring forth from unarmed man's fingertip and strike you, forcing you to lose concentration of the spell. <Spellcraft: Magic Missile, Empower> (24 damage) The two swordsmen continue to pursue you, and you believe they will reach you in a matter of seconds if you stop to attempt another spellcasting. The mace wielder moves forward as well, but at a slower pace, performing no hostile actions but observing the situation.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.

Last edited by Darken; 1st of December, 2005 at 15:10.
  #50  
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 12:34
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Curious about these pursuers, Zeek decides to face them and find out how capable they are. He stands next to a tree to make it more difficult for them to outflank him.


OOC:
Move 40' to a space beside a tree. Ready an action to attack the first opponent to come within reach.


Note that Zeek has SR 17 while wildshaped. You probably already rolled against it and won, but just in case. Also note wind effects of storm. Size M and smaller must make DC15 fort save or be "checked", etc.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren