Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > marcoasalazarm's Games > CORELINE

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 6th of November, 2010, 08:42
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
CORELINE: Bad Day At Black Rock

The 'Core Timeline'-10 years after the Vanishing. The Fictions appeared, and the world (along with most, if not all of the galaxy) burned for a long time. Reconstruction is ongoing at a (relatively) good pace, but many places are still in ruin and lawless.

It is to these places that many people have escaped to, unable to cope with the world in some way. Trying to find some kind of sense to the chop suey that is now reality.

One of this locations is a little town in the middle of Kansas called 'Black Rock'. It is still missing some modern amenities, and the only description it can have at the best of times is 'powder keg'... but somehow, it has survived an apocalypse and 10 long years.

It is bound to change.

And it is here where you roll in, early one morning. It is dry, there is not one cloud on the sky, dawn is coming. Looks like a good place to find some shelter and grab some shut-eye for a few hours.

(OOC: Describe your character and what he's doing).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 6th of November, 2010, 12:42
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"This is the Wild West... Well, the midwest... The point was it's like the wild west if the wild west had been Kansas, and filled with all sorts of imaginary people turned real... And there were cars and lightsabers and japanese school girls with really tiny skirts wandering around... and... Battlemechs and Meganites, and Evas... The world has gone mad... But that's just fine. I didn't like reality anyway. I'm Gerald Brooks. A long time ago I was going to be a doctor. It seemed like the only real thing in the world was keeping people from passing on to the next one early. Now days everything's real. If someone thought of it before that day, it became reality. The town of South Park, Colarado appeared and vanished into it's own fiction fueled mini apocalypse nearly over night at the hands of a mechenized cross between Barbara Streisand and mecha Gojira, and hordes of zombies, and homeless people who acted like zombies. Or at least that's what I heard. I've never passed that way... I have my own business to attend to. There are those who hunt people. Monsters, lunatics, freaks... Whatever they are... That's what brings me here. Black Rock Kansas. A place that might as well not have existed until 10 years ago as far as I'm concerned. It certainly didn't on Google. Yeh- Holy crap!"

Gerald slams the breaks down as a flock of anthropomorphic geese cross in front of him, seemingly oblivious. "Some people!" He sighs and clicks the stop button on his recording device. Another monologue interrupted by anthropomorphic waterfowl. "Ah a motel! Finally."

Gerald pulls into the parking lot, as always, keeping vigilant for large men in hockey masks and/or their usual potential victims. He'd always wondered what would happen if some psycho killer mistook Buffy the Vampire Slayer for... well, the type of character Sarah Michelle Gellar had played in all those horror movies, that would be a sight worth seeing. He parks his sedan, locks the door, and heads into the office of the motel to see about inquiring a room, and information. He really hoped he didn't walk onto a pornography film again... that had been really awkward.

Opening the door, he stands there dramatically for a moment before entering. At 5'10", with a lean athletic build, he wasn't terribly imposing, but he thought he looked totally awesome in his brown fedora and overcoat. Like some Noir Jedi... but without force powers...
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 7th of November, 2010, 09:45
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
The hotel's lobby is L-shaped, with the entrance on the short part of the 'L', with two sofas for the guests to sit on, a soda machine, an ice machine, the receptionist's desk and a TV that is locked inside a little cage (to avoid it being stolen) tuned on some station showing a very old movie.

The room is rather normal as far as mid-western middle-of-nowhere hotels go. Most everything but the roof and the furniture is made of aging wood. The furniture itself has been worn in several places and patched together in a way that the patcher apparently hoped was innocuous.

It is empty at the current moment, and if Gerald rings the bell on the desk there is a faint 'ONE MOMENT. PLEASE.' from a room behind it.

What walks slowly into the room and then takes place behind the desk is a robot. A very old humanoid robot that is silver-plated, although long since lost its shine, and looks like it was modeled after some kind of . There is a single photoreceptor on its face, a red light that keeps swiveling side-to-side as it faces Gerald.




'Yes.', it says, sounding like a man with an Ultravoice. 'How Can I Be Of Help Today?'
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 7th of November, 2010, 14:05
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Gerald can't help but stare silently for a moment , wondering what possible series of events could have led to a Cylon becoming a hotel receptionist. At least it looked like a Cylon...

"Uh, yeah... Hi. I'd like a room."
He starts with a bit of hesitation evident in his voice, "And if you've got any local news that'd... be great. And oh yeah... um, have you encountered any physically fit, provocatively dressed Caucasian women in their late teens or early twenties lately? That or large men most likely carrying sharp objects and concealing their face?"
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 7th of November, 2010 at 21:25.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 7th of November, 2010, 22:21
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Now that I think about it I want to roll a knowledge pop culture check here. Is there any precedent for Cylons as hotel receptionists?

25
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 9th of November, 2010, 12:30
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
ROLL RESULTS: The Cylon in front of Gerald is an (extremely) old Mark I Centurion (Mark 2 being the Centurions that look more like Terminators and the 1.5 being the ones that look like halfway between the two). While the Mark 2s and the human-like ones were somewhere between 'leave us alone' and 'kill all humans' in attitude, the Mark Is have mostly been reprogrammed for menial labor here and there.

'Room... Room...', said the Cylon, looking down at something behind the desk, and then slowly placing a key on top of it.

'Room 5 Is Empty. That Would Be Out, Stay To The Right After Exiting. It Would Be $50 A Night. Paid Upon Leaving.', it said. 'As For People With Your Description-There Have Been Several. Some Registered A Few Hours Ago-Some Have Already Left.'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 9th of November, 2010, 12:55
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Well that was disheartening news, Gerald thought. Of course it could just mean he was being too vague in his description. After all, after all basically every fiction woman met the first part of the description, and most of them met the latter parts. The question was whether the Cylon was actually advanced enough to understand his revised criteria. "Thank you... Uh, the women I'm looking for would have been wearing, most likely, clothing in the style of the um... The time before... your arival on earth. If you know anything of that. Hair color would probably be blond, light brown, or dark, but within the common range for humans... Uh..." He tries to think of something else he can add to narrow it down just a bit more. "Uh, do any of these look familiar?" He adds, taking out his cell phone and displaying a few pictures he has of characters from slasher flicks from the eighties and nineties.

OOC: Can I use a roll of pop culture to try to say something that would narrow down the search accurately?

28
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 12th of November, 2010 at 02:47.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 12th of November, 2010, 16:46
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
OOC: Yeah, you can roll Pop Culture:

RESULTS: 'Final Girls' (or so are called in slasher flicks) is rather conservative in looks and beliefs (which is one of the reasons they became... well... 'final'), and if they survived one or two killers (or one or two runs with the same killer) suffer from some amount of 'shell shock'.

'Excuse Me. Can You Please Pass The Pictures Again?', asks he Cylon after a moment.

'Please Stop.'

The picture on the cell phone is this:



'This Person Is Currently On The Premises. Room Number 10. Signed Using The Name 'Clarice Campbell', Approximately 45 Minutes Ago.'
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 12th of November, 2010, 18:02
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Hm..." Is about the most of an answer the Cylon gets for a moment as Gerald considers the results of his search. If this was Laurie Strode she was likely in very little danger herself. She'd survived countless other attempts on her life until she was instituitionalized... And really he never liked the whole final girl thing to begin with, that's why he'd started this, to save those who needed someone to save them. On the other hand he might still be able to help her... and if not then at least with the calamity that tended to follow her, he might still wind up meeting someone who really needed his help. "Are you certain that this is the only picture that looks familiar? You didn't see any examples of familiar clothing styles? Uh...well thanks."

Gerald wasn't sure if this would lead anywhere, but beggers couldn't be choosers when it came to leads. He pays for his room key, but then heads towards room number 10 and knocks on the door, listening carefully for any sounds that something might be amiss. As the saying went, it's never the f***ing wind!
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 12th of November, 2010 at 18:48.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 14th of November, 2010, 12:35
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)


'Wait.', the Cylon says, sounding like some old man who forgot something. 'Show Me The Pictures Again'.

Gerald does so, and the Cylon stops at the picture above.

'This Person Is Also Registered In. She Left 34 Minutes Ago For Breakfast, And Also Asked Me Where She Could Get Some 'Long Haul'.'

The myriad drugs on the planet, Fictional and real, make it a little hard to keep track of all of them. If asked, the Cylon says:

''Long Haul' Is A Commercially-Available (Although Highly Restricted) Drug For Truckers. It Is Taken Through Means Of An Inhaler. One Dose Can Keep Someone Awake For Three Days Straight, And Multiple Doses Eventually Make You Sleep For Three Days Straight In A Coma-Like Fashion Without Reaching R.E.M. Stages.'

Once outside the reception, and once he knocks on the door to #10 Gerald hears a pretty meaty 'ch-CHAK!!!' sound and then a loud:

'Who is it?', from the woman inside.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 14th of November, 2010, 15:02
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Wow, two final girls in the same place within minutes of each other... and not a real 'victim' in sight. Maybe I can make a like... guild or something... Actually that's not a bad idea-" Gerald's mumbled thoughts are cut off my what sound disturbingly like a shotgun being cocked. "Uh- Uhm... Hold on, don't fire. My name is Gerald Brooks. I uh... know about Michael. I think maybe I can help you. Or at least watch your back."
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 14th of November, 2010 at 20:28.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 16th of November, 2010, 11:14
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
There is silence for a short moment, and then the sound of the door's locks opening. The door opens, and Strode says from inside: 'Come In'.

The room is like any other two-bit wayside motel known to man in the backroads of the U.S.: it's tiny, there's a very worn bed, a small bathroom on the back, and a tiny drawer on top of which there is an old television set which is connected to a cable box-the only advanced piece of technology Gerald can see.

Strode is standing there by the bed, wielding a shotgun that is plain overkill: it's a clip-fed, triple-barreled pump-action cannon that coud probably splatter Gerald's insides all over the wall if she shoots.

Whether THAT would stop Michael Myers... well, it would have to be tested.

'All right. You know about Michael.', says Strode. 'Talk. How do you think you can help me?'
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 16th of November, 2010, 13:15
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Whoa... Um... Maybe not quite as much as I thought..." Gerald murmurs, impressed by the woman's disregard for her own genre. "I uh... Look, I want to help you. You shouldn't be alone in this ya know? I've been hunting down Michael, and pe- things like him. I'm going to kill him, and make sure he doesn't get up again." He said matter of factly, trying to present an image of confidence and competence. He hadn't expected such hostility, but now that he thought about it, it was probably only natural. She'd survived this long. She was probably on the edge of insanity.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 16th of November, 2010 at 22:03.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 18th of November, 2010, 07:22
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
'You? Kill Michael?', says Strode. 'After everything I've seen him just shrug off... you'll have to forgive me if I think it's false advertisement.'

Strode keeps an eye on Gerald, the gun trained on him. She notices something.

'That thing on your belt. The thing on the holster. Pull it out. Slowly.', she says.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 18th of November, 2010, 10:29
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Oh this?" Gerald says, pointing to the holster. "Yeah, ok, hold on. This is what I'm going to kill him with. Or at least put him out of your misery." Gerald does as instructed. "See! It's just a lightsaber. Uh listen... There's another woman like you around here. I mean, someone who's been the sole survivor of the rampage of a nigh unkillable monster. And I think the three of us should work together. Do you know anyone else around here?"
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 18th of November, 2010 at 10:34.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 20th of November, 2010, 09:07
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
'Lightsaber? What, you're some kind of Jedi?', says Strode. 'And I don't know anybody else around here, but there was this woman walking all over the front corridor last night screaming insults to a Freddy Kreuger... whoever that is.'

It takes a moment for Strode to say: 'That's the other 'someone' you're talking about?'
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 20th of November, 2010, 11:17
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Uh... Yeah..." Mutters Gerald with a nod. "So see. You're sort of lucky. Michael has to physically get to you before he can hurt you... This other guy... he's sort of like a ghost. He comes in your dreams. Also, he's a lot more annoying than Michael with his constant taunting. That's why she needs our help... Now we just have to find her. She told the receptionist that she was going to breakfast and that she was looking for a drug called Long Haul that would help her stay awake."
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 22nd of November, 2010, 13:13
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
It takes a while for Laurie Strode to think it over. She kept the gun trained on Gerald the whole time. And after a while she says:

'What the hell. It's not like I don't have anything else to do today.', She's trying to sound 'badass' as she says it: 'So... I'm in. Let's find her.'
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 22nd of November, 2010, 13:34
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Gerald nods, trying not to smile goofily at having things actually go his way in a social situation with another human being for a change. "Great, let's go." He takes the lead. As they return to the lobby he checks in with the receptionist again. He shows him/it his cell phone pictures again just to make sure nothing has changed, this time trying to draw more attention to the non-final girl pictures, and then asks him/it whether it/he has any idea where Nancy might have gone. The woman looking for breakfast and long haul.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 25th of November, 2010, 04:53
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
The Cylon looks at the pictures and says that nothing has changed, tenant-wise, the two girls are the only ones who have registered in the last 12 hours and are still in the registry.

As fr Nancy, the Cylon advises about a dinner right down the road, three blocks away. The drugstore is next to it, it also says. One block further down the road is the fuel station, which has another drugstore.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 25th of November, 2010, 05:00
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Gerald again thanks the receptobot and starts out towards the Diner. He takes a look around for Nancy first and failing that asks the person behind the counter about her with the help of his cell phone once again. He wondered if Laurie knew how to use a cell phone.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 27th of November, 2010, 06:57
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
Nancy is sitting on the Diner, trying to eat breakfast. It is a rather complicated action to perform for her.

Have you seen how a person seems when they have been for a *long* time without sleep? Like they are tripping on drugs? This is how the Fiction girl looks like, sitting on one of the cubicles. Every other moment she's drinking from coffee, yingseng tea, or one of various other caffeine-heavy drinks on her table. There is an inhaler carelessly tossed on top of it, as well.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 27th of November, 2010, 09:26
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
Gerald had stayed awake for over 24 hours straight before, and it wasn't pleasant. The thought of staying awake for however long Nancy had made him squirm inside in empathetic agony...

He approaches, somewhat hesitantly, and says in what he hopes is a calm voice; "Nancy? Hi I'm Gerald Brooks. You don't know me, but I know a bit about you. I'm here to help you."
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Last edited by Shoelip; 27th of November, 2010 at 23:09.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 28th of November, 2010, 11:47
marcoasalazarm
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member: #2539
Posts: 131 (0.03 per day)
Nancy looks up from her coffee to Gerald. Her eyes are surrounded by tiredness and are out of focus. She actually has to take a second to get a good look at him.

'...you're not trying to pull my leg, are you Freddy?', she mutters under her breath.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 29th of November, 2010, 08:05
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.95 per day)
"Er, uh no." Gerald responds awkwardly to the woman's sleep deprived remark. "I actually want to kill Freddy so you can finally get your beauty sleep. I mean not that you need it. I mean you're not ugly..." He trails off wondering if she's even comprehended what he's said.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren