Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 4th of July, 2007, 06:25
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

Member: #2127
"Nimdor, you're from Haigang? Clearly, you were a thief, and a member of a thieve's guild, but was that all? You seem to know what you're doing... Fine. I can prepare some utility spells, but mostly what I do is destroy things and my foes. I am, after all, and Evoker."
Unread 4th of July, 2007, 12:03
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
6:3 Who Is This Prisoner

Jiangu! Chapter 6:3 Who Is This Prisoner

Barnabus balks at the idea of travelling. "I don't like the idea of going to Merak Hoi while you lot are at the Imperial Palace, because that would leave the Dreaded Tower unguarded. Treasure hunters would loot all the furniture and trophies and everything else while we were gone. Who is this prisoner, anyway?"
Unread 4th of July, 2007, 12:59
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Flarrgj frowns and listens silently.

"What do we know of the palaces defences? Together we are powerfull, perhaps we might just fight our way through the front?" Suggests Flarrgj.
Unread 5th of July, 2007, 07:46
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Fugen starts signing to Gizerak to have him explain to Barnabas where the prisoner comes from when a thought occurs to him and he quickly changes tacks, making his sign language difficult for the halfling to follow.

Stopping for a moment to clear the air, Fugen starts over, and asks Gizerak if he has any of the spells available to him that Golock used when the different henchmen were interviewed, and if not, to ask the others if they do.

"Well, I can prepare a spell that would force the truth from those in its area who didn't fight it, much like the Bishop cast on you during your interview, but I can't read thoughts the way Golock did. Termix, do know the spell that Golock used to read the thoughts of those he interviewed? Can you cast it?"
Unread 6th of July, 2007, 02:50
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

"I do not currently know such a spell, but I am capable of casting it, should I learn it. I wonder, are Golock's spellbooks still to be found in the tower?"
Unread 6th of July, 2007, 07:04
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:4 Scribe Spells

Jiangu! Chapter 6:4 Scribe Spells

Barnabus shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. His spellbooks must have been in that chest they took from his room. But I'll bet you could scribe spells from what's left of the Ministry of Rituals- the ones you already met that're set up in that tavern in Ichiba."
Unread 6th of July, 2007, 11:44
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
"Again, I don't know much of magic, but logic suggests, that no technique to force somebody to tell the truth is infallible. Drugs certainly aren't. Would your mind reading technique be?"
Unread 7th of July, 2007, 09:40
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"You are correct," Gizerak responds to Nimdor, "my spell cannot force our prisoner to tell the truth, but he will not be able to lie while under its effect. He could, of course, choose not to say anything, but that is where Termix's spell comes into play. If asked a direct question the answer is likely to be brought to the fore front of our prisoner's mind, if he knows it, just as you cannot avoid thinking about pink bunnies when I mention them, ridiculous as the mental image is."

Nodding his agreement, Fugen signs for Gizerak to relay that he hopes to find out if their prisoner knows whether the Emperor is in the palace, and if so, where he might be. At the very least they had nothing to lose in trying. As it was they had only Golock's suspicions that the Emperor was being held there to prevent his authority to perform the necessary ritual to his rightful successor.
Unread 7th of July, 2007, 10:10
Linklegacy77

"The problem is... I would assume that somebody with mental power could perhaps resist such a spell? Maybe give false information? I don't know how reliable it could be. Sorry to be a nay-sayer, just playing devil's advocate."
Unread 7th of July, 2007, 10:44
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"It is the nature of spells that the caster would know whether or not the spell is working. If, Sha-Gaat forbid, the mercenary resists, we'll know to try the spells again or not to question him."
Unread 7th of July, 2007, 20:16
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:5 Spell Research

Jiangu! Chapter 6:5 Spell Research

Termix visits the Ministry of Rituals in Ichiba again to research the spell of detecting thoughts. The bureaucrats in the ministry are shocked to see him; they had assumed that the henchmen would be enroute to the palace already. They waste no time providing Termix with the materials he needs to learn the spell. Most wizards would use a spell to decipher the magical script, but Termix impresses the bureaucrats by doing it manually, though this takes a full day of effort. He spends the next day attempting to understand the spell and learn how to cast it.

Unfortunately, he is unsuccessful. His specialty is evoking, and this spell of divination is too much of a challenge. He realizes he will not be able to learn it until his general magical studies have progressed. One of the bureaucrats at the ministry volunteers to assist by casting the spell for the henchmen.

Back at the Dreaded Tower, Gizerak prays to Sha-gaat for the power to banish lies.

Meanwhile, the craftsmen hired by Barnabus finish their work of patching the huge hole in the upper level of the tower. It would have been finished in a single day if not for the requirement to insert a thin sheet of copper between the layers of stone blocks. Barnabus cannot explain the purpose of the copper layer, but he says that Golock installed sheets of copper within the walls of the main tower, and along the ground level of the entire compound. Barnabus insists on rebuilding the patched area to the original specification. "I suppose that sheet of copper didn't save him, though" shrugs Barnabus.

During the days that Termix is away at the Ministry, the other henchmen have plenty of time to dispose of their loot from previous adventures and outfit themselves for the next one.

Eventually, the henchmen are ready to interrogate the prisoner. It is the 22nd evening of Midsummer. Barnabus makes the preparations. They descend into the dungeon of the Dreaded Tower to find the prisoner with his wrists shackled to chains hanging from the ceiling and his feet shackled to the floor. Various rusty torture implements lie about. The henchmen must wonder: are these just a bluff to unnerve the prisoner or have they seen use?

OOC: Termix spellcraft check to decipher magical writings vs DC 22 since he doesn't have read magic memorized 28 . If that fails he must wait to memorize read magic first. Then spellcraft check to learn a new spell vs DC 17 11 . Let me know if you are accepting the help of the NPC caster. EDIT: Termix' spellcraft mod should have been +11 instead of +10, but it doesn't change the result. The error was in the character sheet I was given- honest!

Last edited by crueldespot; 7th of July, 2007 at 20:49.
Unread 9th of July, 2007, 04:05
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

I need to study harder...

"I'm sorry, I couldn't learn the spell. Somebody else will cast it for us though."
Unread 13th of July, 2007, 12:19
Linklegacy77

"Fantastic. Shall we begin?"

Once they all cast their spells, Nimdor waits for the others to ask their questions.
Unread 14th of July, 2007, 07:15
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:6 Interrogation

Jiangu! Chapter 6:6 Interrogation

Gizerak addresses the prisoner with the questions proposed by Fugen:
Do you know where the Emperor is?
If yes, where?

The prisoner replies with a crooked grin. “Now why should I answer your questions? I mean, what is in it for me? I’m sure I’ll be beheaded once you return me to Merak Hoi, for my comrades and I performed all manner of wickedness there. I’m not feeling very loyal to the cleric and my band since they left me behind, so I wouldn’t mind telling you their secrets, as long as it gains me something."

"I propose to answer all your questions in return for your oath to release me after you return from the palace. You know I’ll tell you true, for otherwise you won’t return to free me. Furthermore I request a modest remittance so that I may subsist until I find honest employment. 100 pieces of gold will be amply sufficient. If you swear on your Gods to honor this deal then I am ready to cooperate."
Unread 14th of July, 2007, 09:52
Linklegacy77

"Very well. I hereby swear that upon my return I will have you released, and will pay you 100 gold as you request, upon my word to my god."

Poor fool, I follow no deity. I'm a thief, what does he expect?

<OOC: Bluff check- 15 Use action point if roll is under 10 (I.E. if total is under 18)>
Unread 15th of July, 2007, 00:07
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
Now I don't know what crimes he has committed, but then again, he did not specify how he was to be released. If nothing else, we can release him to the custody of the Imperial guard.

"Your terms are acceptable. Now speak."
Unread 15th of July, 2007, 16:03
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Flarrgj sits in the corner and growls threateningly.

((Intimidate!))
Unread 16th of July, 2007, 02:31
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Silently, Fugen watches the spellcaster from the Ministery of Rituals rather than the interogation in hopes to be able to tell whether his spell is working.
Unread 17th of July, 2007, 12:00
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:7 Location of the Emperor

Jiangu! Chapter 6:7 Location of the Emperor

The wizard from the Ministry of Rituals winks at Fugen to signal that his spell of detecting thoughts is working.

The prisoner nods. “Even if this spell wasn’t making us tell the truth, I spent enough time with you Sha-gaat worshipers to know you keep your word.” The prisoner seems to assume that the halflings Nimdor and Takeshi are members of Gizerak’s sect.

“The emperor is locked away deep. He’s not just in the dungeon; he is under the dungeon. He is under the crypt that is under the dungeon. He is held as far down under the middle of the palace as they could put him. These are the old chambers that once held the temple and throne of Angara Mainu, sealed and forgotten long ago."

"The palace is haunted by the summoned spirits of Angara Mainu’s followers that laid waste to the entire province. I heard that you are protected from them, but there are other threats you must overcome."

"The battlements of the palace are guarded by four Hieracosphinxes, and a squad of archers that were recruited from the evil survivors of Dian. Ettins stand guard within the palace gates. Hellhounds patrol the outer yards and gardens. Gargoyles watch the antechambers and galleries around the court of glory and the court of terrible justice. The entrance to the dungeon is in the gallery between them. A babau demon stalks the crypt. A glyph of warding that only admits the wicked protects the doorway from the crypt to the ancient chambers below. Within these chambers, the emperor is guarded by a trio of lamias. My former comrades and the priest Bon Quo are also probably within the palace, as well as a squad of Aikou clan assassins. The palace is governed by E Hai Pi Aikou, the Deputy Minister of Rituals, and his apprentice Hangyakunin."

Hangyakunin is a name remembered by the henchmen, especially Termix. Hangyakunin and Termix were both apprentices of Mikon the evoker. In their investigation of the ruins of Mikon’s tower, the henchmen found records indicating that Hangyaukin sabotaged Mikon’s magic circle diagram, allowing the elementals he summoned to escape, killing Mikon and his other servants and destroying the tower. Termix originally thought himself to be the only survivor, until discovering the evidence of Hangyakunin’s treachery.

OOC: With time and facilities to research, the PCs can take 20 on their lore skills with a +2 circumstance modifer. This is enough to allow them to learn all the useful info about the monsters that were mentioned.
CRs for monsters as listed in the monster manual. Archers CR2, assassins CR3, surviving mercenaries same as before, Bon Quo CR9. E Hai Pi Aikou CR11. Hangyakunin CR4.

Last edited by crueldespot; 17th of July, 2007 at 13:37.
Unread 17th of July, 2007, 23:53
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

Termix listens the whole time disspassionately, his expresssion neutral, but all the time thinking What have we gotten ourselves into!
Unread 18th of July, 2007, 06:15
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
Muttering a nervous prayer to Sha-gaat, Gizerak begins racking his mind to figure a way to save the Emperor and get him to the Court of Glory for the ritual.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
Unread 18th of July, 2007, 13:07
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

6:8 Any Other Questions

Jiangu! Chapter 6:8 Any Other Questions

"Are there any other questions for the prisoner, or should I return him to his cell?" asks Barnabus.
Unread 18th of July, 2007, 13:17
Linklegacy77

"How often do the guards rotate? What are the shifts? What keys and seals are upon the Emporer's cell and upon the dungeons? How do we access any such keys?"
Unread 18th of July, 2007, 14:46
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

The prisoner answers...

"The summoned spirits were considered to be sufficient at night and deep within the interior of the palace, but they cannot tolerate sunlight. Your wizard Golock and some Bishop of the Celestial Pantheon raided the palace right after the haunting began; they came during the daytime and used spells of sunlight to penetrate within. They did not get far before the Bishop was killed and Golock retreated, but this motivated E Hai Pei to recruit the others to stand guard, especially during the day."

"The Heirosphinxes and almost all the archers on the walls are only employed during the day. Only a few archers guard each gate at night. The ettins also sleep at night."

"The gargoyles don't seem to sleep at all. They are always vigilant. "

"The lamias that watch the emperor don't have shifts. They eat, sleep, and live there."

"The emperor is not held in a cell, but in the bottom of a pit. There are several doors to unlock before reaching the old chambers below the crypt. E Hai Pi has a set of keys, and so does the head of the Aikou assassins. I believe that the door from the courts down to the dungeon is trapped as well."
Unread 19th of July, 2007, 04:33
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
"Where are Bon-quo and his companions likely to be stationed? The assassins?"

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---