Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 05:36
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj straitens up and tries to look more heroic and intimidating now that there 'true identity' is known. He seems about to say something, but then changes his mind.
  #52  
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 06:19
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Slightly wary of the cavalrymen, Gizerak looks quickly to the others for signs that they are agitated before speaking.

"Captain. Thank you for your offer. I mean no disrespect, but due to previous encounters, I would ask that you give us some means to verify that you are indeed a member of the 5th Imperial Regiment. There have been those that attempted to take the golem from us by force, and I would not doubt that there are some that would attempt the same via subterfuge."

"Again, I hold only respect for you, but a creation of such power should only be in the hands of those that my employer deems fit."

After saying his peace, the halfling looks to the others, signing to Fugen to seek his aid in this. Gizerak tries to disguise his use of hand signals while he is turned away from the captain and his men. Once he has finished signing, he turns back towards the soldiers, awaiting their response.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #53  
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 06:35
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna nods at Gizerak's words mutely, not trusting herself to speak. The last time someone had tried to relieve them of the golem, her hands had been forced to slaughter.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. We are fairly close to the 5th Regiment's last known position. Better to let the others determine that, though.
  #54  
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 08:17
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Interference? I suppose you could call that group from the 3rd regiment or the basilisk interference.

Well played Gizerak, asking for identification. I could have done without the sign though. My oath only keeps me from speaking. My hearing is perfectly fine.

Staying in the back, Fugen pretends he didn't see Gizerak's signing.

Please don't recognize the sign. Please don't recognize the sign.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman

Last edited by Black Plauge; 13th of February, 2007 at 08:20.
  #55  
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 11:53
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
"It was not difficult to slay the basilisk, not for warriors of such calibur as my companions. I am glad to hear you are with the 5th Imperial Regiment, but again, we must require proof that you are before we can accompany you, unfortunately. I trust this will quickly sort itself out and we can be on our way."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #56  
Unread 14th of February, 2007, 13:12
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:9 The Fifth Regiment Camp

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:9 The Fifth Regiment Camp

The captain is not prepared for their challenges to his identity. "Well, we are in uniform...I'm not carrying any credentials per se but, um....I have my family signet ring! I am from a well known military lineage..." He describes his family tree, and lists the names, clans, and homelands of his companions. "I suppose I should have expected you to be suspicious."

Despite his lack of proof, some of the henchmen have a hunch that the captain is sincere. Others are more leery. The henchmen compromise and follow the cavalry escort at a safe distance.

Meanwhile, the militia sentries at the checkpoint run off towards the fortress to investigate the dead basilisk.

The captain explains their route. "The regiment is already on the march. By today they have already left Cao Yuan for Yu Province. If we follow the river downstream to Yu, we should be able to catch up to them before they reach Merak Hoi."

They follow the escort away from the road, Northeast. They cross hills and mountains, and find shelter for the night in a small hamlet near the edge of Deng Province. The next morning they set out to follow the river and spend the evening in Yu Province at an Inn. The army passed through the day prior, and some stragglers of the supply trains are still in the area. Locals recognize the cavalry captain and reassure the henchmen about his identity.

The next day, they leave the inn and are able to overtake the main body of the Interim Government's army. It is composed of the two thousand men of the Fifth Regiment proper, allied militias, and auxiliaries, for a total force of around five thousand soldiers. The henchmen marvel at aerial scouts riding griffons, and massive armored elephants.

The army encamps within striking distance of Merak Hoi. The henchmen arrive at the campsite amid the chaos of an army erecting tents, preparing food, organizing pickets and conducting reconnaissance. The cavalry escorts gets directions to the headquarters, and bring the henchmen are brought to see the Colonel.

They do not have to wait. The colonel drops what he is doing and comes out of the headquarters tent to see them. The cavalry captain makes a brief report, mentioning that the henchmen killed a basilisk enroute. The Colonel introduces himself as Qian Xun and welcomes them.



OOC:
Sense motive rolls hidden, as well as the captains diplomacy roll (or was that a bluff roll?)

It isn’t necessary to roleplay individual introductions. Just let me know if you introduce yourselves.

The colonel is CR9. His guards are CR6. You are in an army camp, so there are a lot of other CRs around.

Last edited by crueldespot; 14th of February, 2007 at 13:15.
  #57  
Unread 14th of February, 2007, 13:50
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj decides to tower in the back and looks stern, doing nothing, but tries to peeks out of the corner of his eye's to watch the bustle of the camp, interusted in any differences between the war of this country and that of his own. Beeing a mercinary he is familiar with the battle of his adoptive land, but he has yet to experience the true warfare yet.
  #58  
Unread 15th of February, 2007, 00:47
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Thanks to their travels, Gizerak has been placated as to the identity of the cavalry captain, and over time has found the man to be pleasant to talk with. After being led to the colonel, Gizerak thanks the captain for the escort and wishes him a safe journey through these troubled times.

Turning to the colonel, Gizerak introduces himself, and inquires as to the situation in Merak Hoi, his home province.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #59  
Unread 15th of February, 2007, 02:13
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
Nimdor introduces himself, and bows politely.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #60  
Unread 15th of February, 2007, 02:23
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna's relief at finally meeting true allies and reaching the end of their journey is palpable, although she talks little on their way to the camp.

She nods respectfully as they are introduced to the Colonel, but her attention is focused on calming Onira, who is obviously a bit frightened of the elephants.
  #61  
Unread 15th of February, 2007, 15:00
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:10 Mission Accomplished

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:10 Mission Accomplished

Once the introductions are completed, the colonel is anxious to take possession of the golem. He gladly signs and stamps the delivery receipt. Termix passes control of the golem to the colonel, and gives him a lesson about controlling it, just as Termix was instructed by Golock.

In the meantime, one of his aides briefs Gizerak about Merak Hoi. "The occupying army loyal to the Aikou clan has taxed the locals heavily, and abused them in many cases. They disarmed the clan militias and took hostages to compel cooperation. Now the whole occupying force has been marshalled on the border to defend against our attack tomorrow."

Colonel Qian Xun says to the henchmen “We will fight our decisive battle for Merak Hoi tomorrow. Even with the golem it will be a challenge. I would like your help. After we defeat the occupying force, you would be able to return through the pass to Huoyanshan Province, past Mikon’s tower. That would faster for you. Help us to free Merak Hoi in the name of the Emperor!”



OOC:
Normally I would let Generaljim RP teaching the colonel, but he has been linkdead for a while.

4,000xp each for accomplishing the mission. Current xp as follows:

Fugen 12903. Welcome to level 5!
Flarrgj 12103. Welcome to level 5!
Gizerak 12290. Welcome to level 5!
Kierna 15068. Welcome to level 6!
Linus 10428. Welcome to level 5!
Nimdor 8535. Welcome to level 4!
Termix 12997. Welcome to level 5!

Last edited by crueldespot; 16th of February, 2007 at 08:11.
  #62  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 07:51
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
Nimdor speaks with his partners once the group has a chance to talk in private.

"Should we help them?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #63  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 08:23
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna nods, still stroking Onira's wild mane and whispering to the horse in a soft Elven lilt. She turns her eyes to Nimdor and speaks earnestly.

"We are henchmen, and all that is expected of us is to follow Golock's orders. Yet the land suffers greatly under the Aikou clan, and I see an opportunity here for us to rise above our station to do some real good. I doubt we can turn the tide of this battle by ourselves, but I want to be a part of it."
  #64  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 08:32
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
"I tend to agree, but there is a slight problem. I'm not a warrior, and I doubt I could make much of a difference. All the success I've had in combat with this group so far has been a complete fluke. I am very good at what I do, and fighting is not it."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #65  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 08:38
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna shrugs.

"You're a good sight better at it than the average militiaman. What you say might be true, but your assistance in previous battles has been valuable. Besides, every good unit needs scouts and skirmishers."
  #66  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 10:08
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
When the henchmen are left alone, Flarrgj seems axius, almost exited.

"I would like very much to partisipate in this battle." He says, a flash in his eye's. "I have not felt the true taste of war since i left my home land, only small skirmishes and tiny fights. As for Golock, he never said that we may not take part in other employers."

Flarrgj flexes and looks like he truely relishes and antisipates the chance to be in a great battle. The barbarism which had previusly been so obvius in him, but recently has seemed to been fading away (through a concius effort it seems) is more aperint, and you catch a glimpse of the fur clad, wild eyed, wild haired savage under the guise that this forigner before you wears, the guise of conformity to your culture.
  #67  
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 10:45
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
"Well, we'd better take a vote then. I guess it couldn't hurt, as long as none of us get killed. Since, if we take part, we'll be able to return to Ichiba much quicker."

"I vote we stay, and apparently so has Flarggj and Kierna."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #68  
Unread 17th of February, 2007, 00:29
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"I would be a failure to my family it I didn't choose to join the battle. I hail originally from Merak Hoi, and much of my family still lives there. Whether you choose to stay and fight, I will be staying. Either my mace or Sha-gaat's healing graces will aid in the fight."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #69  
Unread 17th of February, 2007, 00:30
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Signing his agreement, Fugen swings the group vote to helping.

If it means avoiding Zhi Yi, it'll be worth the risk.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #70  
Unread 17th of February, 2007, 02:18
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.84 per day)
"Well, I don't want to be the one holdout. Besides, Golock didn't mention that we had to return right after we dropped off the golem. In fact, he didn't mention returning at all."
  #71  
Unread 17th of February, 2007, 03:54
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:11 The Henchmen Agree

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:11 The Henchmen Agree

The colonel nods with approval. "I'm sure you will make your master proud. I would like you to stay near me on the battlefield. I will be staying close behind the golem to give it instructions. Let my aide show you to your quarters. Once you have unpacked, rejoin me as we discuss our plans for the battle."
  #72  
Unread 20th of February, 2007, 14:48
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:12 Discussing Strategy

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:12 Discussing Strategy

The henchmen return to the heaquarters tent later in the evening. The colonel and his advisors are huddled around a map of Merak Hoi, discussing strategy.

The colonel's executive officer explains the situation to the henchmen.

"We are here, 7 miles west of Merak Xi, with five thousand total troops. Two thousand are well-drilled imperial regulars. A hundred of the regulars are heavy cavalry, two hundred are light cavalry, and three hundred are archers. The other 1400 regulars are spearmen. Beyond the regulars, the other three thousand are militia and new recruits. About 1/5 are light cavalry, 1/5 are archers or peltasts, and 3/5 are infantry. We have a small squadron of aerial cavalry on griffons, and eleven armored elephants."

"Two thousand enemy troops are garrisoned in Merax Xi. One thousand are militia from Aikou province. A few hundred are mercenary crossbowmen, and the rest are locals."

"The main enemy force is camped one mile east of Merak Xi. There are four thousand in the camp. Two thousand are goblin mercenaries with hobgoblin sergeants, led by bugbears from the Xauchan clan. One thousand are from the imperial regiment that has allied itself with clan Aikou: A hundred heavy cavalry (the same as us), a hundred light cavalry, two hundred archers, and 700 spearmen. One thousand are local militia from Aikou that have been pressed into service. They have more aerial troops than us, and no armored elephants, but the worst is: They have a dragon. It's a young adult white dragon."

"There are another 1500 enemy troops in the province, in the capital of Merak or maintaining order in smaller communities."

"We have considered several courses of action, but we are curious to hear your ideas. You have overcome great challenges in the past. I've heard that you once escaped from the Aikou fortress, and you just defeated a basilisk."

"What do you recommend? How should we deploy our forces to gain victory and free Merak Hoi?"


  #73  
Unread 20th of February, 2007, 15:03
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna scratches her head as the colonel lays out the situation for the mercenaries. She isn't much for strategy, but there is one obvious choice in her mind even as he finishes speaking.

"If your griffon riders can draw out the dragon and lure it to us, we may be able to wound or kill it. I have heard tales of the dread that these fire-breathing creatures can inspire; surely killing one will greatly improve the morale of your army."
  #74  
Unread 20th of February, 2007, 15:30
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj has a thaughtfull expresion as he ponders the sitation, then thinks about the situation. Then, he speaks.

"We are a force of five thousand, for the most part well trained, against a fource of seven thousand five hundred, of lower quality. They have the advantage of training, however we have the advantage of quality, and there forces are split up, where as ours are together.

It will take several days to bring the forces around the country together, which gives a time line. The greatest threat is of cource is there four thousand goblins... how much do we know about the town of Merak Xi? Because if we can take that town quickly, then dig in and use the town as a defence against the larger fource, that would give us a large advantage. I would sugest, that if we were to do that, that we keep the calvery and specialist forces, the Griffons, Elephents, back, perhaps even hidden if possible, use only the infentry to take the town, and have them circle around the flank when the full goblin force moves in and becomes concentrated on our forces in the town."

The speach apears to be well thaught out by Flarrgj, almost incongrius in the amount of stretig thaught put into it.
  #75  
Unread 20th of February, 2007, 21:57
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:12A Discussing Strategy

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:12A Discussing Strategy

An aide answers Flarrgj. "Merak Xi is just a village, but it is surrounded by a stockade, and lies across a stream. The enemy has destroyed the bridge across, and reinforced the defenses. They have put their toughest troops in the village. The Aikou militia are famous for their martial tradition, and the mercenary crossbowmen will be raining down missiles from the stockade walls. We have a few siege engines, but taking the village will not be easy."

Another aide chimes in "You should also know that both sides have priests and wizards, but none that are too powerful."

Once Kierna's suggestion is heard, the tent falls silent, and the officers look at her in awe. "That is one of the bravest things I have ever heard" says the colonel. "You would fight the dragon for us?"

"If you are sure" says the executive officer "it could in fact be quite effective, especially if it was done before the battle proper. It would guarantee us aerial supremacy. Now even our scouting efforts are hampered, as our griffon riders cannot get too close for fear of the dragon."

Another staff officer adds "The difficulty with using the griffon riders to lure the dragon is their difference in speed. The dragon can fly almost three times faster than a griffon."

There is silence again as they ponder a way around this.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 18:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren