Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #176  
Unread 16th of January, 2007, 08:56
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Well, actually, we came because we can help you. You see, this is a golem." Nimdor points to the golem. "We guarentee you that this can defeat the basilisk. As it is little more than animated material, it could not be petrified by the basilisk or eaten. We would have to accompany the golem to order it around, but we would keep our eyes averted and would stay away the moment we came even remotely close to the basilisk. We would then have the golem defeat it. Is that not satisfactory for all involved? In scenario a, the basilisk is destroyed, which benefits us all. In scenario b, which is very unlikely, the golem is defeated, in which case we flee and make it back here, to have the basilisk starved out. It doesn't hurt you in any way, and the golem can't be eaten, so the starving continues. Wouldn't you agree?"

<OOC: Bluff +7 to have them believe we will use the golem, applicable modifiers found here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm. Diplomacy +9 to improve attitude. Do not rush diplomacy.>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #177  
Unread 16th of January, 2007, 11:16
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:30 No Exceptions

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:30 No Exceptions

The guard has no reason to doubt the story. “I suppose that is a good plan, but we’ve got orders, see? Our captain says to keep everyone out with no exceptions. If your golem gets rid of the basilisk, we’d still get punished for letting you through. So you can't go up there unless the clain chieftain gave you permission already.”



OOC
5,5:30 Bluff (1d20=9)
5,5:30 Sense Motive (1d20=11)
5,5:30 Diplomacy (1d20=1)
Bluff succeeds, but diplomacy is insufficient to change attitude.
  #178  
Unread 17th of January, 2007, 02:21
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Keeping his low profile, Fugen remains near the back of the group.

They believe our intentions, but aren't willing to betray their duty. If only that chieftain had been so honorable. Given his reaction though, I don't want to meet another chieftain and potentially run into the same dillema again.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #179  
Unread 17th of January, 2007, 11:53
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Very well then." With that, Nimdor walks off a short distance, and waives the group over. When they arrive... "So, what do you want to do? Termix and I could go into the town alone and ask the chieftan if we can slay the basilisk with the golem to open up the route sooner, and since the rest of you would stay away and hidden, they wouldn't expect an imperial message."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #180  
Unread 18th of January, 2007, 01:22
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"I think that appears to be our best option at this point. Though I think we could overpower the guards, I am not willing to do so to men who are just being honorable and following their orders. In the mean time, I think we should look at Fugen's maps and plan for the worst, should the chieftan not allow us to go through."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #181  
Unread 20th of January, 2007, 10:42
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Not willing to risk any exposure, Fugen merely nods his agreement, despite wanting to comment on what is being said.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #182  
Unread 27th of January, 2007, 15:34
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:31 Back to Xia Chi

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:31 Back to Xia Chi

Nimdor and Termix spend the afternoon leading the golem back down the road. They pass their campsite from the night before, and a mile later they reach Xia Chi village. It is a very rustic settlement. None of the streets are paved, and all of the roofs are made of thatch. In this isolated corner of the Imperial Heartland, there are no signs of the refugee crisis.

A sentry at the northern gate leads them to the clan hall. They are asked to wait in the main room as servants prepare for the evening meal. The servants avoid cleaning or setting places near the heroes. Clearly they are afraid of the golem. One servant nervously brings them tea while they wait. After two cups, they are led into the audience chamber.

In the audience chamber, the chieftain sits with a secretary and two elderly advisors. There are two guards, including the one that led them in. The guards wear breatplates and carry morningstars. They sit quietly by the door.

The Chieftain of the Xia Chi Clan is a middle aged man with a serious but calm demeanor. He wears fine but practical clothing, and carries a sword. He welcomes them politely and asks them to introduce themselves.



OOC:
Chieftain CR6. Secretary CR 0.5. Advisors CR2. Audience Chamber guards CR3. I am assuming that the rest of the group is staying up by the outpost? Is that right? If not, let me know.
  #183  
Unread 28th of January, 2007, 08:22
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"I thank you for seeing us, I am Nimdor Shiha, and this is my companion Termix. We have come to you to offer our aid in defeating the basilisk. I know it would behoove you to have that beast gone as soon as possible in order to open up the route, and it would aid us as well. We have brought with us a mighty golem that can easily defeat the monster, and is not at risk for being petrified. We would enter the route, and staying behind, have the golem find and destroy the basilisk. If for some reason the golem is defeated, we will flee and you'll be no worse for the wear. The basilisk will be weakened, and it cannot eat the golem. You of course see that there is nothing at all you can lose by allowing this."

<Diplomacy, do not rush.>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #184  
Unread 30th of January, 2007, 13:32
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:32 Not Yet Persuaded

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:32 Not Yet Persuaded

The chieftain seems to believe that Nimdor is sincere, but he is not yet persuaded. “You seem confident, but I do not know if we can afford your solution. What price are you proposing to charge us for this service? and what are your qualifications? Do you have any references?”




OOC
5,5:32 (1d20=1, 1d20=18, 1d20=17, 1d20=2, 1d20=19, 1d20=20, 1d20=14, 1d20=12, 1d20=14, 1d20=7, 1d20=8, 1d20=8, 1d20=14, 1d20=10, 1d20=13, 1d20=15, 1d20=4, 1d20=4, 1d20=15, 1d20=16)

Nimdor rolls a 1 on diplomacy +mods vs DC 15 to change attitude. Attitude remains indifferent. Nimdor rolls 18+bluff vs chieftains sense motive of 17+mods. Chieftain’s advisors roll to assist sense motive. 2+mods fails to assist. 19+mods succeeds to assist. Nimdor wins (barely) vs. assisted Chietain.
  #185  
Unread 31st of January, 2007, 06:20
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"You see, there would be no price or charge. Termix and I would like to use the pass as well, so there would be no price. Consider it a free service. Termix here is a powerful wizard, and I am a good friend of his. I have some references, but there is no way to contact them. Don't think of this as a formal job or mission, but rather as a favor we are doing for you for the benefit of all. We will either suceed, in which case the basilisk is destroyed, or we will not even see the basilisk. If we do not see the basilisk, then you are no worse for the wear, the situation is unchanced. If we fight and destroy the basilisk, the problem is solved. Should the basilisk by some miracle defeat the golem, we will flee, and the basilisk, wounded, would not likely survive long. You can only benefit."

<Try diplomacy again>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #186  
Unread 31st of January, 2007, 10:47
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:33 The Chieftain is Convinced

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:33 The Chieftain is Convinced

The chieftain weighs these words carefully. “You have convinced me. With your golem it seems likely you could succeed. We would like for the pass to open sooner, and you would bear the risk at no expense to us.”

“In fact, if you succeed, I will offer you a humble reward whenever you return to our village, provided that I am still in power. My rival in SanSe ZiLuoLan village expects to be awarded the governorship, and if that happens you may find someone else holding my title the next time you pass through here.”

“Good luck. I will prepare a written order and send a rider to deliver it to the checkpoint in the morning. You are welcome to join us for dinner and lodging in the clan hall overnight. Our shaman predicts a nasty storm this evening.”

Indeed. As the sun sets, Kierna, far away at the mouth of the pass, sees the gathering clouds and smells a thunderstom on the breeze. She and the other henchmen are miles from the nearest inn.



OOC
5,5:33 (1d20=11, 1d20=12, 1d20=15, 1d20=5, 1d20=14, 1d20=6, 1d20=1, 1d20=8, 1d20=3, 1d20=7)
Nimdor: rolls 11+mods vs DC15 to change the chieftain’s attitude. Success. Kierna rolls 12+mods to detect the approaching storm.
  #187  
Unread 31st of January, 2007, 12:45
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Very well, we accept your hospitality. We will join you for dinner, and in the morning we will defeat the basilisk."

As soon as he gets the chance, he wispers to Termix "We need to let the others know, I'll ride out when I get the chance, unless you have some magics that would notify them."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 1st of February, 2007 at 08:04.
  #188  
Unread 1st of February, 2007, 15:16
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Click HERE to cross the border into Deng Province...
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren