Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 10:49
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
3:6 Horse Across the Bridge

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 3:6 Horse Across the Bridge

The henchmen continue to argue and consider various courses of action. Some think aloud and discuss their ideas. Others stare at the bridge quiety and keep their thoughts to themselves.

After about an hour, they are interrupted by the appearance of another traveller. A middle aged peasant carrying a heavy pack and a walking staff appears on the road behind them. "Excuse me" he says. "Waiting for someone? You must be, 'cause no one could get a horse across this bridge."

As he sets off across the gorge, another traveller appears on the far side, heading the opposite direction. The traveller across the gorge is leading a heavily-burdened packhorse. He wraps a canvas over the horse's head so that it can't see, and pulls it out onto the bridge. Once the bridge begins to sway, the horse balks. It's owner whips it mercilessly and drags on the reins, finally winning the battle of wills. Reluctantly the horse crosses the bridge.

The first traveller sees that he cannot get past the horse coming the opposite way, so he retreats back to the henchmen's side of the gorge. "I stand corrected" he admits.

Eventually the packhorse and it's driver reach the QingShan side of the bridge. The first traveller bows and hustles across the bridge to Miao province.

The horse's owner regards the henchmen warily, especially after seeing the golem. He removes the canvas from the horse's eyes.



OOC: NPC takes 10 to handle animal vs DC15. Success.
  #52  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 11:25
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Well, that sort of settles the issue. Fugen thinks as he watches the peasent pull of the exact feat they had been hemming and hawing about.

No longer in doubt about whether the bridge can hold the weight, Fugen now considers wheather or not he can coax Fig across the bridge.

Signing, Fugen asks one of the halflings to ask if Kierna, who seemed to have a way with animals, would be willing to lead the horses across the bridge one by one. She would probably have an easier time of it than any of the rest of them. Either that, or they could ask the horse owner who just crossed his own animal to help them.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #53  
Unread 18th of October, 2006, 11:32
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj goes first, to 'secure the other side' he sais, though he obviusly wants to get across before it is weakened by the horses.
  #54  
Unread 19th of October, 2006, 00:45
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
After having agonized over the dilemmafor some time, Gizerak lets out a laugh when he sees the traveller show them what they needed.

Saying soothing words, Gizerak digs out some cloth from his pack, unaware if it's a shirt or something else and begins to ready his pony to cross.

Relaying Fugen's message to Kierna, he tries to work up the courage to begin the journey across while he waits for her answer.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #55  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 01:04
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna shrugs.

"I'll give it a whirl. Do you want to get the golem and everyone else across first? If the bridge falls while I'm leading a mount across, you can continue on foot."
  #56  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 05:55
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Signing, Fugen indicates that at least one person should remain with the horses so that in the event that the bridge fails, those animals which remain uncrossed are not left to fend for themselves. He then volunteers to do just that.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #57  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 06:30
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kierna nods when someone interprets Fugen's suggestion for her.

"That seems like the best plan. Well, everyone across, then."

Once the golem and everyone in the group except for herself, Fugen and the horses are across the bridge, she begins leading Onira across at a slow and steady pace.

When Onira reaches the other side, she realizes that it would be easier to guide them with her knees than her voice. With that in mind, she walks carefully back across the bridge, mounts another horse, and goes back across the bridge at a slightly more confident (yet still cautious!) pace. Assuming success, she repeats the process until every horse is across the bridge.

[Take 10 on Handle Animal for a result of 16 on check with Onira; Take 10 on Ride with all other mounts for a result of 16]
  #58  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 07:17
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Once everyone is safely across, Fugen gives Fig a fig to calm the animal down after what was no doubt a harrowing experience for it, before swinging back up into the saddle and leading the group off again along their intended route which should take them straight through Miao. Hopefully there weren't any more suprises that were not marked on his maps.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #59  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 08:01
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj glances back at the bridge with a whary glare,

"That bridge might be trouble if we have to return in a hurry...." He comments to one in particular.
  #60  
Unread 20th of October, 2006, 10:46
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
The adventure continues in Chapter 5, Scene 4: Miao Province.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 00:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren