Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 17th of August, 2006, 04:29
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
That's where Linus is right now, level 3, which is fine. My modifiers should be good enough to find and disable traps, but CD has either rolled crappy for Linus, or else the Search DC's have been in the 30s.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 05:37
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
That latter really wouldn't matter what you rolled, so lets hope he's been rolling crappy for Linus, eh?

Anyways, I just, for the first time, looked at the map to locate CaoYuan. I almost couldn't find it. Man is it far away.....I may be uping the number of encounters Termix wagered on.....
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 05:47
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yeah, it looks like about 80 miles if we went straight as the crow flies.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 05:59
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
OK, as I was looking through my character sheet/books wondering what to buy/brew with my new found loot, I ran across an odd thing.

The Brew potion feat says the cost to brew is Spell Level x Caster Level x 50g. In addition, 1/25th of that amount of xp is spent. So that means that a potion of CLW (cast at 1st level) would cost 50g +2 xp. Now according to the DMG, the market value of a potion of CLW is 50g. Does that mean that I've just lost xp for no real gain if I can easily acquire the potion from a vendor? It seems to scale that way no matter what. Is it even worth it for Gizerak to create his own potions?

Anyhow, just as an addendum, I am having Gizerak purchase a warpony, riding saddle, and saddlebags. Also 2 scrolls and 2 potions of CLW as well. Never hurts to have extra healing at hand. CD, I'll send you the updated sheet as well as the HeroForge file in a couple days

I will be sporadically checking in the next 4-5 days. Hopefully (cross my fingers) moving into my new house and won't probably have internet for a bit.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 06:57
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
I recruited for a rogue or cleric, since it is good to have a backup in both departments. You can also work together: The rogue with the lower mod. rolls to assist the rogue with a higher mod.

Linus just had really bad luck with the traps he has encountered so far. I would like to think that he will do better with MW tools and teamwork, but ultimately it is up to invisible castle.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 07:03
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
CD - did you get Kierna's updated sheet yesterday? If so, did you have any other questions, corrections or comments?

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 08:23
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

That's pretty much what I figured CD. Linus has been maxing out the requisite skills. Anyway, guess I'll spring for the MW tools. Can't hurt, and I can't afford anything else I would want.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 08:53
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I'm just going to let you know that Nimdor is very good at skills like disable device, but he will be utterly useless in combat. Don't expect him to fight.

I think NImdor's disable device for level 3 is pretty decent.

CD, do you mind if I share stats a little bit?
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 11:59
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Kierna's sheet looks good.

I like to mimize the discussion of stats, but I realize that in some cases it is necessary (as we discussed recently about healing). Similarly, you would need to discuss skill mods OOC when confronted with a task DC. I don't have a hard and fast rule. Use your own judgement.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 21:29
Linklegacy77

Alright, since it would be beneficial to the group to know which of the two halflings is better at trap-disabling, Nimdor's mod is +11 without masterwork thieves' tools.
Unread 17th of August, 2006, 21:33
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Beats Linus.
Unread 18th of August, 2006, 00:26
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Originally Posted by trendel OK, as I was looking through my character sheet/books wondering what to buy/brew with my new found loot, I ran across an odd thing.

The Brew potion feat says the cost to brew is Spell Level x Caster Level x 50g. In addition, 1/25th of that amount of xp is spent. So that means that a potion of CLW (cast at 1st level) would cost 50g +2 xp. Now according to the DMG, the market value of a potion of CLW is 50g. Does that mean that I've just lost xp for no real gain if I can easily acquire the potion from a vendor? It seems to scale that way no matter what. Is it even worth it for Gizerak to create his own potions?
Actually, the feat states that the base price is spell level * caster level * 50gp and that you have to spend half that in gold and 1/25th that in XP to create a potion.

So it'd cost Gizerak 25 gp + 2XP to make a potion of cure light wounds at minimum caster level.

Basically, it works out to a trade of time (generally no more than a day) and XP for half-price potions.

Oh, and CD, Fugen's purchasing a Climber's Kit, if that's okay with you. I think he'll save the rest of his money for now though. Do you want me to send an updated character sheet?
Unread 18th of August, 2006, 01:19
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

CD, are all the highways marked on the map?
Unread 18th of August, 2006, 07:08
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

All of the highways are marked. In addition, there is usually a road between two territories adjacent to each other if they both have populations of 20,000+.

No need to send a new character sheet just because you purchase an item.
Unread 18th of August, 2006, 12:49
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I think that we are just about ready to start the adventure. It seems to me that Y'all are overlooking some very basic preparations for travel (Coughimdor! Mountcough! Excuse me, just needed to clear my throat there). I'll give you another day to get ready (real time) and then let the chips fall where they may.
Unread 18th of August, 2006, 22:42
Linklegacy77

Oh, Nimdor knows. Just before we leave, Nimdor's planning on stealing or tricking somebody out of a mount.
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 00:08
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Actually, given the golem's speed limitation, Fugen is going to suggest that we be largely unmounted for this expedition.

CD, what about populations of 10,000? Are there roads usually connecting provinces with only 10,000 people?
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 00:17
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

CD, Fugen's going to spend some time trying to find better maps. Golock indicated that we had a few days before the golem was completed, so he should have time to spend looking for maps in Ichiba if Golock doesn't have any.

Now, I'm not expecting you to actually make the maps if you don't have them made already. I'm in the process of using your templates and the regional map to construct a CC3 map of the area. Thus, I can map the provinces in question based on the templates. All you'll need to do is verify my maps and over rule anything you don't like about them.

I'm hoping to have a first draft version of the maps done over the weekend.
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 01:23
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Speaking of maping, two questions:

First: when re-aligning the templates to fit the indicated population density, do you rotate them or flip them? Obviously you have to have at least two rotations, but the other three positions could then be either flips or rotations.

Second: When two territories line up so that both have a community marked on their connecting boundry, do you treat this as two seperate communities, one in either territory, or do they get combined to form a single larger border community?
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 03:00
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I just bought CC3 at Gencon, and I have been struggling to get it to do what I want.

About the golem speed: Y'all should re-read what Golock wrote.

Neighboring provinces of 10,000 usually do not have roads connecting them unless their population concentrations are next to each other. but it depends on the terrain. There is no ironclad rule. If you read the recently updated Jiangu Encyclopedia in the Campaign info thread, it provides some info about these provinces.

I have been making province maps like crazy recently, and I will post some today or this weekend. I was only planning on posting maps of those provinces that the group has already visited. but...

Now that Fugen has sought out more detailed maps of these provinces, I will draw the maps that he finds, depending on his knowledge and/or gather info checks. Otherwise, you won't know the nitty-gritty about each province until you get there.

Speaking of mapping, 2 answers:
When re-aligning the templates, I rotate them.

You will notice that when two populated territories line up, the communities on the border don't overlap into the same hex. They are usually two miles apart. If there is a river on the border then one will be a little downstream from the other.
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 03:08
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Oh, Nimdor knows. Just before we leave, Nimdor's planning on stealing or tricking somebody out of a mount.
I'm just saying that "Just before we leave" is now. My next post is going to start with "and then they left" (or words to that effect).
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 03:43
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Hey CD, i'm gunna be out of town and most definitly without a computer from August 19th, to September 3rd, so go ahaid and play Flarrgj for me, you know how to do it. He'll soak up damage and deal all he can. Good luck yall!
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 04:30
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

CD, here's what I've got so far for the map as a CC3 file. Most of the provinces are still only roughed in with their major roads, however, I have filled in the template details for the provinces that I'm interested in.

I realize that Fugen won't know all the details, and his maps may have some mistakes, but as a player I'm interested in that bonus XP for making maps for you.

Plus, now that you have CC3, I can pass you the actual files, rather than pictures of them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jiangu.zip (200.7 KB, 2 views)
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 04:31
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

You will notice that when two populated territories line up, the communities on the border don't overlap into the same hex. They are usually two miles apart. If there is a river on the border then one will be a little downstream from the other.
You know, I was just begining to notice that as I tidied up my rough in.
Unread 19th of August, 2006, 04:36
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Oh, and about the speed, I realize where you're going with that. Fugen, however, hasn't quite thought of making the golem run all the time yet. He's not all that familiar with golems. Hopefully when he proposes a route (and his ideas about traveling) Termix will correct him on that and he'll readjust those speed estimates.