Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 06:16
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"Now don't argue over who's idea it was....I think Nimdor was suggesting we start now, while we are in the surroundings of a city yet. And then, if this still hasn't solved the problem, we can try again once we reach the wilderness, where you're mosre suited."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #52  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 08:17
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"It is not the same thing. A scouting mission would be too expected. We need it to look like one of us is actually parting ways, no longer going to part of the group. If they believe this, they will either pay no attention whatsoever to the other, or pay too much attention to the other. In both cases, it will be beneficial. If it is a scouting mission, or it contains more than one person, it will not work out as well."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #53  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 09:05
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus chimes in, "Makes the most sense that you leave then, since you have just joined the party and are least likely to be recognized."
  #54  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 09:18
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Where should we meet up then? And how should I contact you if something goes wrong? Also, act as if I was just a business dealer, who was interested in purchasing the golem, but was turned away."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #55  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 12:00
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 5, Scene 1:5 Approaching Shen

As they plan, the group is approaching Shen, the village where the henchmen have had previous misadventures.

A couple of miles from Shen, a rider heading towards them stops when he sees the golem, and stares at them from a distance. It is a young gentleman. lightly armed- not anyone they have seen before. He then turns and spurs his horse to jump a nearby fence and rides back towards Shen cross country.



Meanwhile, a discreet glance from Kierna reveals that the mysterious rider continues to keep pace with them from far behind.




OOC:
(edit) P.S. I should specify the distance. The mysterious rider is 800 ft behind them.

Last edited by crueldespot; 24th of August, 2006 at 21:48.
  #56  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:05
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Noting the reaction of the nobleman ahead of them, Fugen signs to Linus or Gizerak (whomever is closer) to indicate that they will likely have a 'welcoming committee' waiting for them in Shen. It would probably be wise to follow Kierna's advice and detour around the village.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #57  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:26
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus nods in agreement and relays the courier's thoughts. "Going around the village may be the most prudent course of action at this point. That noble was most definitely riding ahead to muster a welcoming party. We have had enough problems with Shen."
  #58  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:36
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Careful, on my travel to Ichiba, I moved through Shen. They are still trying to get back at Golock, and I almost considered tricking them out of all their money. We should avoid the roads entirely for a little while. Unfortunately, traveling hidden is not easy with a giant hulking golem. I will meet you soon, about 10 miles along the selected path of travel. I trust one or two of you have some way of contacting me? Should I not return from then, attempt to contact me, albeit in a discreet method."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #59  
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:42
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"This doesn't look promising. Let's find a way around the town. I think that the villagers of Shen would very much like to show Golock up for his treatment of the town's elder and we would be an easy way to do that."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #60  
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 23:17
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Shaking his head, Fugen disagrees with Nimdor's suggested course of action. Signing, he indicates the source of his disagreement, Nimdor's interview with Golock.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #61  
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 23:25
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus laughs a bit thinking back to Nimdor's "interview" but relays Fugen's thoughts before relaying his own.

"So, to the north or south around Shen?"
  #62  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 01:55
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
South, Fugen replies in sign. It'll be shorter.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #63  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 03:25
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Don't worry, I'll be fine. If I don't do it soon, it will become impossible. As of now, I might be able to talk my way out of anything, as I haven't been with the group long enough to be a definitive member, at least to outward appearences."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #64  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 04:06
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
You're forgetting the incident with the Shen clan leader, Fugen signs, making a point to make sure that Gizerak sees the signs since he was there. Golock's actions probably left little doubt as to your loyalties in the eyes of the Shen clan.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #65  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 07:07
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Actually, I've never actually met the leader, I only once have seen him, and that one time he was likely too scared to even notice me. Even if he did notice me, he won't remember me, and disguising myself is a talent I happen to have. If I had just been turned to stone, I would be running for my life, not looking at other people in the same room as the man who turned me to stone."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 26th of August, 2006 at 09:10.
  #66  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 11:29
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Gizerak makes sure to relay Fugen's signs.

"It seems that this halfling," he says with a slight wink," is set on going to the village of Shen. I guess that when he couldn't buy the golem from Golock that day in the tower, he thought that pestering us would be easier, hoping our loyalties were to the almighty coin instead of the wizard."

"We should be off the path quickly. Before the milita arrives."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #67  
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 12:15
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"I hope one of you can contact me via magic or some similar method. If not, I'll catch up when I can."

With that, Nimdor rides off toward Shen, ready to put his plan to work.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #68  
Unread 27th of August, 2006, 01:39
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Sighing, Fugen allows Nimdor to go. It was obvious he was set on following through with his plan, irrespective of how foolhardy it might be.

Once Nimdor is gone, Fugen looks to Kierna to guide them off the road and around Shen. Cross country travel seemed to much more within her speciality than anyone else's.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #69  
Unread 27th of August, 2006, 06:56
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
With a quick look back towards Shen, Gizerak looks to see that the militia isn't chasing after them already. Once he's happy with that, he follows Kierna into the wilderness.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #70  
Unread 27th of August, 2006, 07:38
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
Kierna does not fully understand the exchange between Nimdor, Gizerak and Fugen, but she can tell that her silent friend is agitated. Once Nimdor is out of sight - "I am sure he will be fine, Fugen. He is small, they may not even see him."

As soon as she finds a good place to leave the road, she begins leading the party around Shen. She makes a point of taking a winding path, trying not to use obvious trails that any followers would expect them to take. Her goal is to reach the road on the other side of Shen, and find a good place to watch it without being seen. With a little bit of luck, that is where they'll meet Nimdor again.
  #71  
Unread 28th of August, 2006, 14:58
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
1:6 A Formidable Group

Jiangu! Chapter 5, Scene 1:6 A Formidable Group

Nimdor parts ways with the other henchmen. He stays on the highway whilst they divert through the farmland down a footpath between fields. There is no sign of the Shen militia, as it has only been a moment since the henchmen were seen by the rider who turned back towards Shen.

A minute or two later, their mysterious pursuer catches up to the point where the henchmen left the road. The golem and its escorts are still visible from the road, and the pursuer’s attention is focused in that direction. He pays no attention to Nimdor, who has blended in with the crowd.

The pursuer turns in his saddle and raises a hand over his head. After a moment’s delay, he mumbles quietly. Strain though he might, Nimdor cannot make out the words. The pursuer then turns and rides onto the farm trail, following the golem.

More than a minute later, a formidable group arrives from the direction of Ichiba. There are six men on horseback, accompanied by a monk on foot.

In the lead are two handsome young man. One is an imperial army officer in a full suit of shining plate armor. The trim on his uniform curaise is gold. He rides on a strong heavy warhorse and carries the chivalric arms of lance, saber, and shield.


Riding alongside him is a gentleman in tasteful traveling garb, armed only with a courtly rapier and riding a light horse.


These two smile and converse with each other lightly, as if they were out for a picnic.

Behind them ride three fighting men. Each carries a greatsword and heavy crossbow and wears a breastplate. They ride awkwardly, not like trained cavalrymen.

A monk walks alongside them at a remarkable pace that matches the horses. The monk has a kama tucked into his belt.


This group also turns off of the road and follows the same footpath. While the golem is no longer visible from the road, the mysterious rider can still be seen in the distance and they are clearly following his lead.



OOC:
5,1:6 (1d20=8, 1d20=19, 1d20=2, 1d20=17, 1d20=5, 1d20=9, 1d20=7, 1d20=5, 1d20=13, 1d20=16, 1d20=6, 1d20=17, 1d20=19, 1d20=7, 1d20=10, 1d20=2, 1d20=4, 1d20=4, 1d20=17, 1d20=18)
Nimdor listen roll 8+mods. Not successful.

Armored rider on heavy horse CR3. Civilian rider CR4. Monk CR4. Three fighting men CR1 each.

Last edited by crueldespot; 28th of August, 2006 at 22:03.
  #72  
Unread 28th of August, 2006, 23:53
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
It seems to be working. Military men? Oh, this is getting interesting.

Nimdor follows the man at a safe distance, but close enough not to risk losing him. He also keeps an eye on the soldiers when he can spare it.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #73  
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:17
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 5, Scene 1:7 Riding Fast Towards the Henchmen

As soon as the group following the mysterious pursuer leaves the highway, they break into a gallop. The officer and the nobleman ride smoothly, while the three with greatswords bounce stiffly in the saddle.

Once they are far enough away that they won't hear him galloping after them, Nimdor sets off in pursuit. The chain now has four links. The henchmen with the golem are pursued by the mysterious rider, who is being followed by the armed group, that Nimdor is shadowing.

But this strange set of affairs lasts only for a minute, until the armed group catches up to the mysterious stranger, then the number of links is reduced to three.

The henchmen are aware that the rider has continued to follow them after they left the road. When the henchmen are a quarter-mile from the road, they see the five horsemen and running man catch up to their mysterious pursuer. As soon as they reach him, he spurs his horse into a gallop as well, so that they are riding fast as a group towards the henchmen and the golem.



They are about 800 feet away, and are moving at a speed of 8 miles an hour, twice as fast as the golem. At this pace they will overtake the henchmen in two minutes.
  #74  
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:36
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
More persuers, and no longer attempting to simply maintain pace, Fugen thinks to himself upon the sight of the group galloping towards them. It would seem that it was the crowd on the road that inhibited their action and now that we are no longer on the road...

Based on what Golock told him of the golem's abilities, it cannot outrun a horse over so short a distance, and even if it could, it would outrun their own horses in the process. Signing for Linus or Gizerak to translate, Fugen suggests that Kierna pick a spot that would be suitable for the inevitable confrontation, whether it be friendly or not, and do so quickly.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #75  
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:45
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
Nimdor calls out towards them, hoping to distract them. "Hail soldiers!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren