Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 23rd of July, 2006, 08:49
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
Kierna scrambles off of the stove, careful not to let her prized bow touch the hot surface. When she stands, she shakes the clay shards off and grins.

"That was satisfying."

She then winces, touching the minor burns.
  #52  
Unread 23rd of July, 2006, 09:24
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj goes back inside and smiles at the elven woman.

"Good shooting." He says. Once everyone has assembled he looks around.

"Should we not be heading back to Golock now?" He asks.
  #53  
Unread 23rd of July, 2006, 09:32
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
"Termix landed the killing blow. I merely weakened him first. But yes, I am anxious to return to Golock and give him our report. The presence of one of Nakigara's minions in Mikon's ruined tower is alarming, to say the least."
  #54  
Unread 23rd of July, 2006, 19:58
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:10 Loaded and Ready

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:10 Loaded and Ready

Niang enters the house from the garden and is horrified by the mess. She wags her finger at Termix. “Next time, you play with your dungeon traps in the dungeon- not in my house!”

Meanwhile, Tie Jiang has harnassed their new horses to the cart they bought. The cart is loaded and ready. Niang gives them all some food to eat on the road. Tie Jiang and Niang embrace Termix and say goodbye to all of the henchmen.

Tie Jiang is in his militia uniform. He hustles off to report for duty guarding the pass from Merak Hoi.

The henchmen now stand outside by their loaded cart. The cart horses are excited and eager to set out, but await the command from their new owners.
  #55  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 05:43
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Tying Fig's reins to the back of the cart, Fugen takes up position to drive it along the way. He then looks to the others to see if they have sorted out who is going with Flarrgj and who isn't. Once that is settled, he flicks the reins and heads the cart out towards the highway and Ichiba.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #56  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 05:48
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus nods to Fugen and indicates that he'll be going along with the courier. If anything did happen in Shen, it was better to have a mouthpiece in the city than the forest. Besides, Linus wasn't much of a fan of the back cart trails and felt more comfortable in the more traveled sections of the land.
  #57  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 05:52
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj sugests that Gizerak, Kierna and himself head off on the less used backroad tracks so that they may avoid Shen. When everyone agree's he sets off with them.
  #58  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 06:17
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:11 Struggle Downhill

As predicted, the weather is clear. There are still pools of standing rainwater in the fields. For the first time this year, there are plenty of insects out.

Linus, and Termix accompany Fugen as he drives the cart downhill on the highway towards QingShan province. Along the way, they pass a platoon of militia marching northwards to reinforce the Merak Hoi pass.

They reach the QingShan border at noon. The guards at the checkpoint just waved them through last time when it was raining. This time they are more alert now that it is sunny. They have been warned that there is potential trouble up north and so they challenge the henchmen.

‘What clan do you represent? What is your cargo and destination?”

Meanwhile, Flarrgj, Kierna, and Gizerak proceed down the local road that leads southeast. This is the same road that Termix took on his way to rendezvous with the other henchmen. Termix had struggled up this muddy road to reach his home village, and so Flarrgj, Kierna, and Gizerak must now struggle downhill. On horses and ponies, they would normally make much better time than the cart, but their mounts have trouble keeping their balance on the steep muddy road.



OOC: Will Flarrgj, Kierna, and Gizerak remain in the saddle (DC 10 balance check for their mounts to avoid injury) or dismount and walk their horses and pony?
  #59  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 12:50
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
As they wave goodbye to the others, Gizerak settles into his saddle. He's still not as comfortable on the back of a horse as some people that he has known, but he has gotten the hang of it.

For a short time, it appears that the halfling and his companions will have a decent time of their ride, it soon becomes apparent that travel will be difficult. As they continue on down the cart paths, Gizerak quickly realizes that he won't be able to keep himself atop his saddle for long.

Dismounting, he begins to slog through the mud. Hopefully, he will be able to ride again should they find stretches of drier land.

As he pulls a booted foot out of an especially soft mud puddle with a loud squishing sound, the halfling turns to his companions and begins to speak.

OOC: Not sure how it would work out, but Gizerak will split time between being mounted and walking, trying to ride where the path seems a bit better. My hope is that I will be able to keep up with the other two without having to go into a forced march.


I'm going to start up another thread to converse with Flaargj while on this journey. Treehouse ... Kierna is welcome to join in the conversation as well. Just looking to flesh my character out a bit and settle on a better roleplaying personality.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #60  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 00:31
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
It was unusual for his uniform not to be recognized on sight, especially so close to the capitol, but it was also unusual for an Imperial Trusted Courier to be driving a wagon and accompanied by others. So Fugen gets down from the wagon and presents the militia officer with his badge of office, a symbol which was recognized even in the furthest most reaches of the empire thanks to its prominent incorporation of the imperial crest.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #61  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 02:10
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.40 per day)
Termix isn't a diplomat, and sees that Fugen is already climbing down from the wagon. He decides he'll let Linus handle things if Fugen doesn't get them taken care of.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #62  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 11:52
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:12 Leaving Huoyanshan Province

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:12 Leaving Huoyanshan Province

“A courier? I hadn’t expected to see a courier nowadays, especially driving a cart in strange company.”

“I guess he has a really big message to deliver.” jokes the other guard, indicating the stack of goods in the cart.

“Really big” agrees the first guard, but he sighs and waves them through, seeing no alternative.

And so Fugen, Termix, and Linus re-enter QingShan Province.

Meanwhile, Flarrgj, Gizerak, and Kierna struggle down the unpaved road, slipping and sliding in the mud. They play it safe and dismount, which slows them to a halfling walking pace. They reach the first village after 3 hours, Over the next two hours they descend from the mountains to a sleepy village in an alpine meadow. From here they can remount and continue in the saddle. Their speed increases considerably. It is only a few more miles before they reach a fording point across a rushing stream. A narrow path is cut in the far bank. At the top of this gap, surrounded by natural obstacles, is a gate- the border of ZunYan province. The gate is open and no guards are visible. They investigate and determine that the checkpoint has been abandoned.



OOC:
Fugen, Termix and Linus: It is still noon for this group. I am assuming that Linus is riding his own pony and Termix is riding in the cart. The cart has speed 20, which equates to 18 miles a day (including the one hour “free” hustle). They have already traveled the equivalent of 9 (speed 75% in mts). Do you intend to forced march? 18 miles will end 2 miles short of the village of Shen. One hour of forced marching will reach Shen. 3 hours of forced marching to reach the next village after Shen (21N/6.5E).

Flarrgj, Gizerak, and Kierna: It is 2PM for this group,. They are now moving at 3.5 miles/hour after remounting. They have 2 hours left which brings them to the village on the highway after Shen (21N/6.5E) without hustling or forced marching.

Last edited by crueldespot; 26th of July, 2006 at 22:51.
  #63  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 04:45
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
"Okay guys. I think the less time spent in Shen the better, so we should stop before we get there and pass through during the day."
  #64  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 05:01
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Though he was not as well versed in reading maps as Fugen, Gizerak thought that he and the others would reach the road in a few more hours. Thinking quietly to himself before he says anything, he considers the options.

Once the halfling has had a moment to think, he addresses Flaargj and Kierna.

"I think that we are a few short hours from the highway. If I recall correctly from Fugen's map, we should be at the next village south on the highway from Shen. I think that it is very likely that the people from Shen have spread tales of what happened the other day and we may not find a warm welcome in this little hamlet either."

"Though it will mean that we don't likely sleep in a comforable bed, I say we continue on past the village and find ourselves someplace to stay further down the highway."

"I will see to what is hopefully the last of our wounds for a while."

OOC: Unless the others object, I am suggesting we continue on through the village. I think doing a forced march for at least an hour would be acceptable, preferably slightly long so that we can camp somewhere along the cart path after leaving the highway. Whether a farmhouse or something is available similar to what the others lodged at, I do not know, but I think it would depend on the circumstances if Gizerak would be willing to stay there.

Also, I am going to channel a couple spells of healing on my companions. I don't think that I actually began casting my summons before, so I will assume that I still have it to cast today.

to heal Flaargj: Channel Doom into Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3hp). If this only brings him to 26-28 of 30hp, channel Mending and Read Magic to Cure Minor Wounds (1hp each), otherwise cease the healing.

to heal Kierna: Channel Summon Monster II to a Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+3hp). I will revisit this once I know the outcome to determine if I heal her more.

I've highlighted the spells I definitely cast below.

Spells currently prepared:
0th: Detect Magic, Light, Mending, Read Magic, Resistance
1st: Bless, Doom (cast), Obscuring Mist (Domain: Burning Hands)
2nd: Hold Person, Summon Monster II (cast) (Domain: Produce Flame)
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #65  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 06:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:13 Past Shen and Further

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:13 Past Shen and Further

Fugen, Termix, and Linus find a farmstead near the YanFan border that is willing to accommodate travellers overnight. For only 3 silver pieces they get a place to tie their horses, sleeping mats on a covered porch, and some soup.

Meanwhile, Gizerak heals Kierna and Flarrgj. The three of them push their mounts to carry them past Shen and further. They end their day’s travels at the village where the highway intersects the shortcut to the Dreaded Tower. They have a choice between two inns: One is cheap, and the other is more respectable, with a few luxury rooms.



OOC:
Interlude 6 and 4,6:13 (1d20=8, 1d20=1, 1d20=7, 1d20=13, 1d20=6, 1d20=15, 1d20=5, 1d20=2, 1d20=18, 1d20=6, 1d20=14, 1d20=11, 1d20=18, 1d20=16, 1d20=20, 1d20=3, 1d20=8, 1d20=11, 1d20=20, 1d20=8)

Gizerak heals Kierna for 13 pts. She is now at max: 24/24.

Gizerak heals Flarrgj for 5 pts. He is now at 26/30.

Kierna, Gizerak, and Flarrgj: first hour of forced march: Flarrgj’s horse 3pts lethal. Gizerak’s pony 2 pts lethal., and Kierna’s horse 1 pt lethal. This takes them to the village at 17N/7.5E. Poor, common, or good accommodations?

Meanwhile, Fugen and party have stopped at 21N/0.5W?

EDIT: Correction: Team Flarrgj has the lodging options, not Team Fugen

Last edited by crueldespot; 28th of July, 2006 at 09:28.
  #66  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 07:50
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.40 per day)
Termix has gotten used to staying in poor-ish settings, and having to pay for it non-the-less. He gladly does so, and sleeps as best he can.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal

Last edited by generaljimX; 29th of July, 2006 at 03:18.
  #67  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 10:47
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Gratefull for the hospitatlity of the farmers, Fugen is gracious in his acceptance. He's not used to having to pay for lodgings, but his encounter earlier with the guards had reminded him that even though the fall of the empire was still fresh in everyone's minds, already the imperial customs were falling apart without the strong presense of the emperor to uphold them.

May the source of the curse on the imperial throne be damned forever to be forgotten.

***

In the morning, after a good night's sleep, Fugen sets the party out as quickly as possible, hoping to pass through Shen in the middle of the morning when most of its inhabitants will be busy with their daily work.

[OOC: Fugen et al. should have stopped at the normal daily limit for cart travel. The draft animals being new to Fugen and pulling a much heavier load than he'd ever ask Fig to carry, he wouldn't want to push them beyond their normal limits.]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #68  
Unread 2nd of August, 2006, 20:45
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:14 The Trip Through Shen

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:14 The Trip Through Shen

Fugen, Termix, and Linus get a night of sleep that is peaceful, other than the nuisance of insects. Their hosts are farmers, and rise before the dawn. After a meager breakfast of bread soaked in animal fat, they are able to get an early start on the day’s travel.

The trip through Shen is anticlimactic. They notice the reward poster along the highway, as well as an old henchmen advertisement of Golock’s. The mood in Shen seems subdued and no one confronts them.



OOC:
Distance to the dreaded tower is 18 miles. To cover in one day will require one hour of forced marching, which will do d6 damage to the cart horses.
  #69  
Unread 4th of August, 2006, 02:11
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Grateful to be through Shen without incident, Fugen pushes the horses to a trot for a bit, putting down distance quickly so that the residents there have little time to change their minds. After an hour or so, it becomes apparent that the people of Shen are not of the mind to chase after them, so Fugen allows the horses to easy back down to their normal walk.

***

Evening fall finds the three henchmen arriving at Golock's tower, their horses tired from the extra exertion, but not quite at the point of stubborness yet. A fact for which Fugen is grateful. The idea of spending another night on the road when Golock's tower was so close by was not one that Fugen had wanted to entertain.

Once inside the confines of the tower, Fugen sees to the stabling and care of Fig himself before assisting with the unloading of the cart.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #70  
Unread 4th of August, 2006, 02:44
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus immediately goes about unloading the cart. As he piles the stuff up in the henchmen's quarters, he thinks back on the last mission, hoping that they can take a breather before they get sent back out. His conscience hits him a little when he thinks back to the sleeping goblin he murdered at the tower gate, but that is quickly overcome by rationalizing it away. After the goblin captive had talked about raping halfling women and girls, Linus realized that maybe, despite the manner in which he killed the guard, the goblin had fully deserved it.

Recalling the ballista bolt that he and Fugen had managed to fire, the corners of the rogue's mouth curve up into a smile. Some parts of the job really had intangible benefits. Others - well, he needed to restock his quiver.
  #71  
Unread 4th of August, 2006, 06:06
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj also helps with unloading the cart, staring greedily at the contents, obveusly imagining his share of the gold, a gleem in his eye.
  #72  
Unread 9th of August, 2006, 12:35
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
6:15 The Henchmen Assemble

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:15 The Henchmen Assemble

Once the cart is unloaded, the henchmen (minus Nimdor, who is not yet on the payroll) assemble in the audience chamber.

Golock frowns at them impatiently until everyone settles down.

“Gizerak already gave me a report about the trip to Mikon’s tower. I will study his journal and the other books you brought. In the meantime I am finishing up a project. Once it is completed I will have an errand for you to run. Until then you can rest for a few days. Is there anything else you need to discuss?”
  #73  
Unread 9th of August, 2006, 21:14
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus drools out the side of his mouth and looks extremely distant. His cold sweat covered body is shivering and he breaks into a strange cackle.
  #74  
Unread 9th of August, 2006, 23:58
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.24 per day)
Signing, Fugen asks Gizerak if he can do something for Linus, who seems to be getting worse each day, and if not, to ask Golock if he has something that will work or knows of something that will help.

He also asks Gizerak if he explained to Golock about the Zauchan hobgoblins amongst the forces occupying Mikon's tower. If not, he'd like Gizerak to do so now. In either case though, Fugen would like to know if Golock has heard anything from Zauchan recently.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #75  
Unread 10th of August, 2006, 00:08
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
"What's wrong with Linus?" Kierna wonders out loud.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren