Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 10th of February, 2006, 09:50
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Haha! Stupid Navy.

Er... Stupid officers.

Er... You're not an officer, are you Mercutio?
Unread 10th of February, 2006, 10:21
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
Good news for us, though I'm sure that would have been a good assignment for you. Needed a TS, huh?
Unread 10th of February, 2006, 12:04
Exarzun
Spectre

Member: #1494
Yay! Let there be rejoicing! We havith our other halfling back
Unread 10th of February, 2006, 22:54
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Yes, BP, I am an officer, just not one with a TS SCI clearance, which was clearly stated as being needed. But they told me I was going anyway. Then they came back and said they couldn't take me. I'm just waiting to be called again today and told that another position opened and I'm going there instead.

It would have been an interesting assignment, although I'm not sure "good" is the right word since I'll be resigning my commission next year. (That's give up, not re-sign.)
Unread 11th of February, 2006, 15:57
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I'll be resigning my commission next year.
What do you want to do that for?

I can hardly criticize, though. I resigned mine 9 years ago (active duty that is, then I joined the guard).
Unread 11th of February, 2006, 23:09
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Because I want to get off active duty and teach English to high school kids. Because I want to have time to write and get published. Because working 10-12 hour days while in port sucks ass. All those and more. Being a Surface Warfare department head has got to be one of the worst jobs the Navy has to offer people, regardless of the money. Plus, I've been done my payback for ROTC for the last year and a half, and I never considered the military as a career.
Unread 12th of February, 2006, 12:26
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Because I want to get off active duty and teach English to high school kids.
Eerie. When I left active duty, my goal was also to teach high school (history, though).

Once I got out, I had to wait while my teachers license was transferred from another state. During this time I realized it wasn't for me. The kids were not the problem. I can't tolerate a job where I have to stay in one room all day long and talk about the same crap over and over. I need to be solving problems, working on projects and so forth. You are already teaching (albeit at a different level) so I guess you know what you are getting into.

Fortunately, this was during the Clinton economy, when you could just walk down the street and a job would fall on you. I found my current job pretty easily, which pays better than teaching school (but not nearly as good as active duty officer).

I stayed in the reserves though (National Guard specifically) which allows me to blow stuff up on the weekends and go on occasional trips etc.

Do you already have a teaching certificate and license in the state you plan to settle in? If not, I strongly urge you to start the process immediately. What town are you planning on moving to when you get out?

And on a drastically different subject, I don't think you have posted an action for Linus in the current round. Since he is currently threatened by three hobgoblins, I would like your input.
Unread 12th of February, 2006, 15:12
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I don't have the certificate yet because I'm still working on my MFA. During my last year in the program (it's a 3 year program, so 2 more years), I'll get the teaching certificate for NJ. Actually New Jersey doesn't require a license so long as you are working towards it, which is probably the way I'll go. I'm moving to South Jersey somewhere within about 45 minutes of Atlantic City, most likely south and west.

I had considered staying in the reserves, but within the last 5 months there has been a large activation of surface warfare officers from the Active Reserve, and I don't want to get out just to get reactivated. I'll maintain the IRR status until things calm down a bit (if ever) and then maybe affiliate with active reserves.

I'll post an action for Linus in a few seconds. Still trying to work out what I want to do.
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 04:46
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I'd like to point out that a natural 20 on a skill roll is not an automatic success. The auto-success/failure rules on a natural 20/1 only apply to attack rolls and saves.

Just thought I'd make a point given the way CD wrote the last update (in particular Linus' action).
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 06:12
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

True, but a 20 + mods I'd definitely succeed in the tumble.
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 06:16
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I'm not saying you wouldn't. I just wanted to make the point so that the auto-failure rule never comes back to bite anyone on a critical skill check.
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 12:19
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Yes. I realize that, though I don't mind you double checking. The subject often comes up in my F2F group. It is only logical, though, considering how high DCs can go. Otherwise a level 0 old lady who rolls 20 on her check to long jump across the ocean would succeed.

A natural 20 is an automatic success on a skill check, however, when the DC is 15 and he has a net bonus on the roll.
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 12:24
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Well, actually I wouldn't say its an auto-success, but it is a success. For skill checks, I consider it an auto-success when you can roll a 1 and still pass the DC.
Unread 14th of February, 2006, 12:31
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I consider it an auto success when it deals with driving or car repair.
Unread 15th of February, 2006, 13:08
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
I have a question about flaming sphere. The description is rather vague as to where the sphere actually appears. I am inclined to say it appears right in front of the caster and is then moved along a path determined by said caster. Is this how you interpret it?
Unread 15th of February, 2006, 21:38
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I interpret the rules differently, fortunately for you. The sphere can appear anywhere you designate in range. I have seen other DMs interpret it the same way. Our own BP for example, when my halfling druid cast the spell in his Deathmatch tournament
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 01:49
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Since the spell description isn't specific, the ruling goes by the general description for the range, which (in part) reads:

Originally Posted by SRD A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin.
Like CD said, I interpret the above as meaning that the flaming sphere can appear anywhere within range and then be moved anywhere within that range.
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 02:30
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
Well, good to know. I asked because I didn't before. Now I do, and will rule it so in my campaigns, though neither uses magic much.

Now I just have to figure out whether to take out Zusath or the bugbear first......
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 02:43
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

My suggestion is that you start with the bugbear as Fugen is trying to tanglefoot the spellcaster. If the tanglefoot bag hits, it should effectively neutralize the the cleric. Plus, we know the bugbear was just down and bleeding to death. Its only the recent healing that's woken him up, while the cleric is still at full health. The flaming sphere, if it does damage, may be enough to put the bugbear down again.

However, Termix acts before Fugen, so feel free to pick the target you want. If you decide to go after the cleric I'll edit my action to contain a conditional (in case your flaming sphere kills him).
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 14:58
Exarzun
Spectre

Hmmm i reolize my orders are a little vague there so i'll clarify. i dont remember the rules for bull rushing, and i cant get at my stuff, but basicly he's trying to bowl over the goblin into the others behind him so he can try and get to wassher name. If possible he'd like to attack, but to my memory it's a full round action, so i dont believe i can...
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 21:44
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I will have to look up the bull rush rules myself, but I think I understand your intent.
Unread 16th of February, 2006, 23:18
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Just wanted to apologize for not posting last installment. I've got bronchitis and was laid up all day Tuesday and yesterday. My wife kicked my ass after I posted on 3EBB and made me go to bed.
Unread 17th of February, 2006, 02:43
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I'm going to have to object to the freeing of Zushath by the bugbear. As I read the tanglefoot bag entry, an ally can help free an entrapped individual but to do so he must deal 15 points to damage with a slashing weapon (hitting is automatic, only damage need be rolled). The Str check option to break free is only avaliable to the entrapped individual.
Unread 17th of February, 2006, 13:28
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Objection logged. Will consider next time, but no rewinding allowed.
Unread 17th of February, 2006, 15:11
Exarzun
Spectre

Man, all i seem to be able to do this battle is soak up damage....