Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Gralhruk's Games > The Grey Apparel of Ghosts > The Inn at the Edge of the World > The Seekers of the Dreaming Serpent

Unread 21st of March, 2012, 05:50
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Claelin

Name: Claelin
Race:
Human
Class: Ranger 1 / Warblade 3
Alignment: N(G)

Ability Scores
Strength: 18 (+4) (17=>18 at 4th)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 14 (+2) (13=>14 at 4th)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

Aspects
Defining: "You can run, but you can't hide..." (this refers to the job of Claelin and his unit of hunting down named (wo)men)
Complicating: "One good sword is still only one sword." (this refers to Claelin having 'abandoned' his company)

Hit Points: 43 (1d8 + 3d12 +8 (total: 8+9+9+9 +8 Con))
Class and Racial Abilities
Favored Class: Any
Human: Bonus feat and skill point

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor and shields (except tower shields)

Ranger 1 (simple variant from UA - lose combat style, gain fast movement and wild shape as druid - small/medium only):
Fast Movement:
base speed is 40 feet.

Track: bonus feat
Favored enemy: humans (+2 to damage, bluff, listen, sense motive, spot and survival)
Wild empathy: 1d20

Warblade 3:
Battle clarity: Int mod to reflex saves
Weapon aptitude: not relevant...
Uncanny dodge: retain dex bonus to AC when flat-footed or attacked by an invisible attacker
Battle ardor: add Int bonus to crit confirmation

Maneuvers known (5 total - 3 readied): Moment of perfect mind, Steel wind, Charging minotaur, Leading the attack, Emerald razor Stance: Hunter’s sense

Armor

AC: 16 = 10[Base] + 4[chain shirt] +2[Dex]
AC (Flat-Footed): 14 // AC (Touch): 12
Max Dex Bonus: +4 // Armor Check Penalty: -1

Saving Throws
Fortitude: +7 = 5[Base] + 2[Con]
Reflex: +7 = 3[Base] + 2[Dex] +2[Int]
Will: +3 = 1[Base] + 2[Wis]

Combat Bonuses
Initiative: +2 = +2[Dex]
BAB: +4 // Melee: +8 // Ranged: +6

Weapons
Falchion, masterwork (slashing) // attack: +9 // damage: 2d4+6 (18-20 / x3)
Dagger (piercing) // attack: +7 // damage: 1d4+4 (19-20 x2)

Flail (bludgeoning) // attack: +8 // damage: 1d8+4 (20 x3) // special: +2 to disarm, trip
Long bow (piercing) // attack: +6 // damage: 1d8 (20 x3)

Feats
Power Attack [human bonus]
Improved Bull Rush [1st level]
Alertness [1st level]
Track [ranger 1 bonus]

Combat Expertise [2nd level]
Improved Disarm [4th level]

Skills

Skill Points: 4x9 (ranger 1) + 3x7 (fighter 2) = 57 (max ranks: 7)

Armor Check Penalty: -1
** denotes FATE bonus skill

Balance
+3 = 2[Dex] +2[tumble] – 1[Armor Check]
Concentration +9 = 2[Con] +7[ranks]
Climb
+3 = 4[Str] – 1[Armor Check]
Heal +8 = 2[Wis] +4[ranks] +2[belt]
Hide
+5 = 2[Dex] +4[ranks] – 1[Armor Check]
Intimidate +4 = -1[Cha] +5[Ranks]
Jump +14 = 4[Str] +5[Ranks] +2[tumble] +4[speed] – 1[Armor Check]
Knowledge (geography)
+6 = 2[Int] +4[Ranks]
Knowledge (history) +3 = 2[Int] +1[Ranks]
Knowledge (nature) +9 = 2[Int] +5 (6)[Ranks] +2[survival]
Listen
+6 =
2[Wis] +4[ranks] +2[alertness]
Move Silently +5 = 2[Dex] +4[ranks] – 1[Armor Check]
Search +7 = 2[Int] +5(6)[Ranks]
** Spot +13 = 2[Wis] +7[ranks] +2[alertnes +2[headband]
** Survival +11/+13/+15 = 2[Wis] +7[ranks] +2[search] +2[outdoor environments] +2[favored enemy]
Tumble +10 = 2[Dex] +7[ranks] +2[jump]– 1[Armor Check]

Equipment

Healing Belt (750 gp, 1 lb)
Least crystal of life drinking - on falchion (400 gp)
Scout's headband (3400 gp)
Chain Shirt, mw (250 gp, 25 lb)
Heavy wooden shield (7 gp, 10 lb)
Falchion, mw (375 gp, 8 lb)
Flail (8 gp, 5 lb)
Longbow (75 gp, 3 lb)
-- 20 arrows (1 gp, 3 lb)
Healer's kit (50 gp)
Sunrods (5) (10 gp)
Backpack (2 gp, 2 lbs)
Bedroll (5 lbs)
Fishook (3)
Flint and Steel (1gp)
Pot, iron (10 lbs)
Whetstone (1 lb)
Waterskin (1 gp, 4 lb)
Explorer's outfit (10 gp, 8 lbs)
Books (?)

Item detail
Healing Belt: +2 competence bonus to heal; 3 charges, activation: standard action. Spend one charge: heal 2d8, two charges: 3d8 or three charges: 4d8.

Scout's Headband: +2 competence bonus to spot; 3 charges, activation: standard action; Spend one charge: darkvision 60 feet for 1 hours, two charges: see invisibility 10 minutes, 3 charges: true seeing 1 minute
Least crystal of life drinking: heal 1 damage when dealing damage to a living creature (up to 10 hit points per day)

Moving/Lifting
Walk: 40 ft. // Hustle: 80 ft. // Run (x3): 120 ft. // Run (x4): 160 // Hour Walk: 4 miles // Hour Hustle: 8 miles // Day Walk: 32 miles
Light Load: 58 lbs. // Medium Load: 59-116 lbs. // Heavy Load: 117-175 lbs.

Experience
Current: 6000
Needed: 10000

Languages
Common,
Cannesian, +X

Last edited by Tashalar; 14th of April, 2012 at 02:49.
Unread 21st of March, 2012, 06:15
Tashalar

Background
Twenty years of war; of bloodshed and destruction. Had it already been that long? Claelin scratched his unshaven chin and sighed. He faintly remembered his youth, his eagerness to learn how to use a weapon and to wield it against an enemy; an enemy without name and without a face; an enemy unknown to him at that time. The yearning for his first fight. And the shock at the intensity of emotions - none positive - when he had killed his first man at the age of fifteen.

Memories of his youth, of a time both lighthearted and dreary mingled in his head. He had fought in his first real war at the age of seventeen. The city states Merkush and Arakha had been at each other's throat for years, fighting over territory and trade. When war broke out, Claelin's unit got enlisted on Merkush's side. The fact that it was only a matter of chance that he wasn't fighting on the other side didn't disturb him at the time – he could finally show what he had trained for all his youth! Excitement and eagerness were dominant emotions at the time.

It took one war to break him of the eagerness for it. No, not one war. Not even half a war. The first skirmish had still served to raise their spirits. It had been an easy victory of one scouting patrol over another. They had come upon them from a trail in the woods, spotting them in the open field. Using the surprise to their advantage, their unit had attacked and routed the enemy within moments. When the two army bodies met later on, Claelin's verve had vanished before he had the change to swing his sword for the first time. As they were advancing, one of his friends, merry Jerrah, caught a stray arrow to his neck. Blood started seeping from the fatal wound immediately. When Berk bent down to try and aid him after overcoming the initial shock, his sergeant pulled him up and pushed him forward with the comment “Fightin's up front, lad; move!” Claelin couldn't remember much of the battle that followed which ended in a stale mate with both armies retreating. But of the four other soldiers he'd called friends, two had died that day – as had many others he had known. The reality of war had hit him like a sledge hammer between the eyes – Claelin could still remember the feeling. Some nights he still dreamed of that war. The other nights he dreamed of the worse things that happened in the years afterwards.

The following years flew past and Claelin participated in several skirmishes and two more local wars, soon becoming a warrior of some renown. Partially through skill but mostly luck Claelin survived those years and quickly rose through the ranks. His skill and strength with which he wielded his blade, a falchion with a finely honed cutting edge, was admired among his friends and feared among his enemies. He killed several champions in single combat and (exaggerated) tales of his swordsmanship, his courage and battle fury had spread. The falchion had become his weapon of choice and his name-giver: “Cleaving Claelin” they called him. But it had been his tactical skills that had earned him the respect of the commander of his unit, Lorin Kartosa. He gave him command of a small scouting unit. In the next weeks Claelin hand-picked the members of his unit, four at first and later up to eight altogether. He only chose named men or women whom he promised a say in how they'd do things as well as his loyalty in turn for theirs. Claelin had learned the hard way how important it was to have capable and loyal companions that he could trust with his life. Under his command the unit specialized on scouting and on hunting down named enemies of whoever the contractor of their mercenary company was at the time. There had been some good times back then with stories and laughter at the evening fire. While Claelin remembered those fondly, he also remembered that they never had lasted for long.

In the Cannesian war – a war that was fought between three rivaling city states about the control of a sea gate to the rich Sea of Stars – Claelin and his unit were sent alongside a small army to destroy a major foothold of a rival. They infiltrated the town, killed the guards and opened the gates for the rest of the army. Slaughter ensued. Their contractor thought that a massacre was a grand method of dissuading retaliation and thereby winning the war. The inhabitants of the town were butchered mercilessly, male and female, young and old. While Claelin and all of his companions had done their share of ill deeds, this butchery went way too far for their tastes. When Lorin Kartosa, the commander of their company, refused to break the contract and leave, Claelin confronted his unit to tell them that his days with the company were over. He’d leave for good and he’d take everyone that would follow him. All of them did… at first. They moved out (fled) under cover of night. But one of their numbers vanished... and doubled back to inform the commander. Soon Lorin's best unit were after them to kill them for their betrayal. After several days of flight and down to four from the former eight, Claelin and his companions managed to flee on a small fishing boat in a wild trip across the straight. Only Leira, Ishia Whiptongue and Tender George remained.

Once they had reached solid ground, Claelin once more suggested they split up. Lorin wouldn't easily give up on them and two groups were harder to trail than one of four. Claelin and Leira set out... with no goal at first but to get away.

Character Description
Height: 6'6" // Weight: 185 lbs. // Handedness: Right // Hair: Light Brown, shoulder-length, slightly curled // Eye Color: Green // Skin Color:
coppery tan

More to come.

Last edited by Tashalar; 9th of April, 2012 at 18:49.
Unread 21st of March, 2012, 06:19
Tashalar

I still want to look over the rest I wrote.

The focus will be the darker phases of his 'career', him earning his name and gathering a group of named warriors/scouts about him and the 'now'.

He's 35. A survivalist, heh.
Unread 21st of March, 2012, 06:27
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is online!

Member: #13
I like it - I had some vague ideas about "Mercenary Companies" that would hire on with one city-state or the other in times of war. It would work well with your background, if it sounds interesting to you.
Unread 21st of March, 2012, 07:04
Tashalar

Yes, that sounds like the way to go.
Unread 26th of March, 2012, 04:18
Tashalar

A few parts of the character sheet are up. I used Kjetil's sheet for this. *shniffle*
Unread 29th of March, 2012, 06:47
Gralhruk

User is online!

The sheet looks good to me, I haven't verified all the numbers but I'll try to do that .
Unread 2nd of April, 2012, 02:50
Tashalar

Now I only need to work out some background stuff with BRR, find a name and do the FATE stuff. Which means I'm pretty far, I think.
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 02:46
Gralhruk

User is online!

The character looks good - the only thing I noticed was that you have 7 ranks in Tumble, which I think should likely be 5. Tumble is a cross class skill for rangers, unless I made a mistake somewhere.
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 03:03
Tashalar

It's a class skill for warblades and I can fill the ranks up to maximum ranks when I take the warblade levels (max ranks isn't affected by cross class afaik).
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 03:09
Gralhruk

User is online!

True, but the only way I could see to have the skill points available for all the other stuff was to spend the ranger skill points at first level on tumble. Maybe I calculated wrong, though.
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 03:23
Gralhruk

User is online!

Here is what I have (ignoring spot and survival):

Concentration: 4 ranger, 3 warblade
Heal: 4 ranger
Hide: 4 ranger
Intimidate: 5 warblade
Jump: 4 ranger, 1 warblade
Knowledge (History): 5 warblade
Knowledge (Nature): 4 ranger, 2 warblade
Listen: 4 ranger
Move Silently: 4 ranger
Search: 4 ranger, 2 warblade (cross class)
Tumble: 4 ranger (cross class), 3 warblade

That's 36 ranger skill points and 21 warblade. So what do you have differently?
Unread 3rd of April, 2012, 05:47
Tashalar

I moved around some skill points (into knowledge history) pretty late. I checked the allocation at some point, but didn't do it afterwards. So without checking your numbers, I'm sure you're right. Since tumble is important, I'll transfer some points there and will see about knowledge (history) and wherever else I have to leech for skill points.
Unread 5th of April, 2012, 15:41
Tashalar

So I moved four skill ranks from knowledge (history) to tumble from warblade and used the four skill ranks from tumble from ranger for knowledge (geography).
Unread 9th of April, 2012, 18:53
Tashalar

Well, yeah. It's a holiday but I'm not in a creative mood. I still need the defining and complicating aspects as well as a nice description.

... otherwise I'm ready to go...
Unread 12th of April, 2012, 22:21
Gralhruk

User is online!

So, have you been thinking about aspects at all? Your defining aspect could be something like "I am Cleaving Claelin!" or something to that effect. It indicates a number of things - your skill at arms, your ties to your former mercenary group, the respect you had from those peers, etc. Complicating could have something to do with deserting your unit.

Just some ideas
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 00:25
Tashalar

Yeah, I know, I should be finishing this. Thanks for the input, Gral. Let's see if I can add the finishing touches tomorrow.
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 00:31
Gralhruk

User is online!

Just making sure you aren't waiting on me for anything .
Unread 14th of April, 2012, 02:50
Tashalar

Updated - tell me what you think, Gral. And if you have suggestions on how to better say what I want to say, please do tell.