Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Lando The Archmagi's Games > Fort Griffin 1870, Wild West

Unread 9th of March, 2008, 07:44
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Arrival of the Law Sidethread #3

As the sun begins to set, a weary rider and his horse travel along the dusty road into the little town of Fort Griffin which was built up around the actual military fort here.
Unread 11th of March, 2008, 05:45
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Member: #1716
John takes a look around, trying to find an inn to rest his weary head. When he finds one he sets about getting room and board, he can't report to the Sheriff looking as disheveled as he is now.
Unread 11th of March, 2008, 10:06
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

John rides in from the side of town where the Fort itself is and sees a variety of shops, drug store, saloons and a couple of motels/hotels.

http://online-roleplaying.com/forums...6&d=1105810407

Most of the citizens glance his way, but don't seem to pay him much mind, until a few catch a glimmer of his badge as the setting sun ray hits it.

ooc: where do you stop?
Unread 11th of March, 2008, 12:58
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

John stops off at Osley's Eatery and Board and demands a room for the night. If anyone harasses (or tries to sell him anything, or talks to him) he is very gruff and attempts to get rid of them as quick as possible (except the owner of the boarding house). He is very tired.
Unread 17th of March, 2008, 04:57
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

As John rides up and dismounts, a couple of folks just stare at him and his badge. No one bothers the obviously armed lawman, but a few whisper and watch as he strides into the boarding house.

There is a middle aged man who looks like he's combed his hair and straightened up a little as you rode up. He smiles and says, "Welcome sir, can I help you?"
Unread 17th of March, 2008, 05:30
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"I'm looking for a room, how much for one here?" John states to the man.
Unread 20th of March, 2008, 09:34
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Mr. Osley says, "Sir, that'll be one dollar a night, which includes breakfast and a bath. Would you like some company or anything else?"
Unread 20th of March, 2008, 11:17
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"No, thank you, the roads been to rough for any lovin' tonight." John winks at the patron before handing him the money and making off for the night.
Unread 23rd of March, 2008, 03:46
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

"Sure, you're choice sir. Enjoy your stay.", he takes your money and has you sign the guestbook. He gives you a room key. First stairwell to your right, down the hall, last room on the left.

ooc: just let me know if you intend to stay more than one night.
Unread 23rd of March, 2008, 03:51
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

John prepares his room for the night and sets himself down for a nice well needed rest. In the morning he heads out to find the sheriff, and inform the man of his presence and of his orders.

ooc: Do I have orders? John intends to spend only one night.
Unread 1st of April, 2008, 09:46
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

The night is restful and you get some much needed sleep. No specific orders, beyond checking on the Commanche activity and the like.
Unread 1st of April, 2008, 10:04
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

In the morning John heads out to the local sheriff's office asking about maps of the area with readouts of comanche sites, he then heads to a local marshall (if one is available) and asks the same.
Unread 9th of April, 2008, 09:27
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

You get up and get ready for the day. You're offered breakfast/coffee as you make your way downstairs and head out into the Flat. You're given directions to the Jail and the sherrif John Larn is there with his deputy. He tips his hat, "Good day,what can I do for you?"
Unread 10th of April, 2008, 02:36
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"My name is John Hawkins, I'm with the Marshalls. I'm here trying to scrounge out any comanche resistance in the area, care to help?"
Unread 16th of April, 2008, 09:07
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

John Larn nods, "I'm John Larn, sheriff of the Flat. Welcome Mr. Hawkins.
I'm pretty busy with taking care of the business here, but the soldiers at the fort might be more help for you marshal. Of course you could see about recruiting the folks who are hunting down the Wild Bunch, when they return of course. We've not had any recent reports of commanche activity, but that doesn't mean they're not out there."
Unread 16th of April, 2008, 13:05
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Wild Bunch?"
Unread 23rd of April, 2008, 09:17
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

"A group of cattle rustlers/train robbery/rape and murder, and those are just the crimes I know of. They are lead by two brothers who created a gang that has plagued this area and the surrounding area. We've killed and captured about half of them and a few are said to have left the group for their own, but several are still hiding/hold up in the hills north/northeast of here near the border. That land has some Commanche activity, so they could be hiding/allied with them."

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 11th of May, 2008 at 08:46.
Unread 28th of April, 2008, 12:44
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"I'll check it out. Do you have any men you can spare?"
Unread 5th of May, 2008, 03:19
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

"Well my deputy and his friends left several days ago to track down the remaining members. They headed north/northeast into the hills. I'm otherwise occupied watching the Flat and the nearby ranches/homesteads."

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 11th of May, 2008 at 08:45.
Unread 10th of May, 2008, 13:00
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Alrighty then. I guess I'll head out that way then, do you have a map of the area or something I could use to help me find them?"
Unread 11th of May, 2008, 08:45
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

"That area is mostly hills, gullies and dangerous. Bandits like them, commanche and the like use that area. They're a few days pass due now, so I suspect either they ran into trouble or got killed. You may want to stop by Big Jake's ranch just east of here. He may have some news. I'd take plenty of water and ammo, you might want to stop by the general store."

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 11th of May, 2008 at 08:47.
Unread 12th of May, 2008, 04:57
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Will do, thanks for your help officer."

With that, John leaves and heads out to the general store to pick up ammo and water. It was going to be a long week.
Unread 19th of May, 2008, 03:05
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

John Larn nods and says, "Good luck ranger."

You get directions and arrive at York and Meyer's Outfitters.

One of the few stone buildings in town, York & Meyers Outfitters fills an essential need in The Flat. Like allFrontier towns, Fort Griffin requires adequate supplies to keep both the populace and passers-through healthy and somewhat comfortable. But, lines of supply from “civilization” to the frontier can be fragile, painfully slow and requently interrupted by desperados, Indian raids or inclement weather. The presence of a venture capitalist willing to purchase, trade and store significant quantities of equipment, provisions and everyday goods makes the difference between a one-horse town and a thriving community.

Fortunately for the residents and visitors of The Flat, Frank B. York and his partner Charley Meyers came down from Dodge City with visions of making another mark on the expanding Frontier. With a sizable enterprise already built in Kansas, the opportunity offered by the rapidly expanding Fort Griffin community proved too tempting to pass up. Several friends and business contacts that had passed through The Flat told Frank and Charley about the thriving environment they found here, with plenty of room for an establishment catering to the needs of buffalo hunters, travelers and settlers. So the two men headed south, hired a business manager named H.E. Chapin, and joined the bustling activity in and around Fort Griffin.

Merchandise Room

Upon entering the place, a curious melange of spices, buffalo hide and coffee beans assaults the nose. Actually, this is but a sampling of the dozens of odors emanating from the abundance of goods either stacked, shelved or piled in rows and clusters all around this large space. Because York & Meyers has made a commitment to having things on hand whenever possible, the place remains regularly well-stocked. Of course, at any given time certain supplies may be sold-out, thus requiring a special order through Chapin or Naranjo. Nevertheless, customers can generally get what they want right on the spot (between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.).

Shelves line all of the walls, holding smaller items such as foodstuffs, hand tools or pocket items (from a compass to cheap cigars or pens). The only places where shelves aren’t found are behind the clerk’s counter and around the windows on each side of the room—which have the same construction as the front windows. The left side of the room contains stacks of crates,bags, and barrels holding bulk commodities such as grain, liquor and oil. Beyond these bulk items, near the storeroom door, are stand-up shelves containing a variety of apparel and related supplies such as hides, blankets and bolts of cloth.

Two rectangular tables lie just to the right of the center of the room, effectively dividing the place in two and marking a pathway from the front to the clerk’s counter. These tables display larger items such as saddles, harnesses and other horse tack. The shelves just to the right of the tables have more equestrian items, from horseshoes to saddlebags.
Candles, lamps, shovels, cookware and other miscellaneous items will be found on the shelves (or just leaning against the walls) in the front right corner of the building. The more specialized (and expensive) equipment, large or small, is stored either near or on the clerk’s counter in the far right corner (including a sewing machine, binoculars, medicines and firearms).

Clerk's Counter

This three-foot high, L-shaped counter divides the work and sales area from the general merchandise and contains a number of wares for sale. As noted previously, a shiny new sewing machine rests on a small round table just in front of the shorter section of counter where it meets the wall. Specialty (i.e. more expensive) items are also displayed on top of this section of the counter, including binoculars, a few pairs of eyeglasses, pocket watches, harmonicas and other similar items. Next to those specialties are some “impulse-buy” foodstuffs, such as baskets of hard candy, chocolates, licorice sticks, chewing gum, and jerky. The longer section of the L functions as a workspace and place to converse and haggle with the customers or evaluate trade goods.

The walls behind the counter are fitted with wooden racks for displaying guns and other weapons. And there are a number of pieces to choose from at any given time,from the largest shotguns and rifles to the smallest pistols. Both vintage and late model firearms fill the racks, as well as Bowie knives, arrows and sabers.

Standing on the main floor is a well dressed man who looks at you as you enter and says, "Good day sir, how can I help you?

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 2nd of June, 2008 at 02:07.
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 07:22
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Hello, my name is John Hawkins I'm a Ranger and I'm going out to help take care of the Wild Bunch. Do you have any ammo or water?"
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 10:01
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

The man smiles and says, "Good day ranger, that group of outlaws are tough, best watch yourself. A group of bounty hunters left about 4 days or so ago...not heard from them since. I have plenty of both, what caliber ammo do you need?"