Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Lando The Archmagi's Games > Fort Griffin 1870, Wild West

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 02:55
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Chapter 2: The story continues..Big Jake's Ranch

The afternoon sun blazes upon the plains of north central Texas as you ride out following the wagon trail to Big Jake's Ranch.

John Larn the lawman leads the way, with the nameless man bringing up the rear. The sandy scrub covered plains are pretty standard fair as the eye can see. You do see some wild grasslands and pass by a few small farms inkling out some crops in their fields.

After about an hours ride you come to a large ranch that has several herds of cattle and fences around a large farmhouse, well, and stable area. You see a few cattlehands eyeing you all, and young lad maybe in his teens runs back to the main house yelling...."Papa! Riders!"

The ranch hands look a bit nervous, most are wearing holsters and a few pickup rifles leaning against fence posts, but when they see John's gleaming badge they lower their rifles, but watch and circle around behind the party as you ride towards the main house.

Shortly as you ride up into the main courtyard of the ranch, a rather big intimidating fellow with short black hair and a moustache steps out, having strapped on a holster and carrying a shotgun himself. He's about 6'7" and looks all muscle, body tanned from many days in the Texas sun.

He glances over the group with his blue eyes, nodding at the sherrif.

"To what do I owe this visit so late in the day sherrif? Who are these cowpokes?"

Behind the big fellow his teen son holds another rifle and two lasses glance out a window from what looks to be a kitchen.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 3rd of February, 2005 at 03:15.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 04:35
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.39 per day)
DosSantos appears to be relaxed on his horse and starts to roll up a smoke listening to the conversation, keeps quiet while observing the place, the people Jake has, how many hands, weapons they carry, thinking of ways to protect the ranch, how a group might attack the ranch, places to hide and ambush in coming riders etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 05:22
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.09 per day)
Jose casually glances around the ranch, counting how many men are around them, and how many guns. He keeps a particularly keen eye on the teen, who looks to be just a little too eager to let fly with that rifle of his.

Stifling a string of coughs with his left hand, Jose casually lowers the reins with his right to put it closer to his carbine.

(OOC: A couple of spot checks for you, in case you need more than one. 25, 20, 9.)
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 05:26
Flagg Thornington's Avatar
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #952
Location: Sir Texas Sir
Posts: 1,026 (0.22 per day)
Buck sits atop suzy expressionless, scanning the ranch and hands for a flash of steel.
__________________
We all live n learn, when we survive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 10:19
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Big Jakes Ranch

John Larn nods, "Good to see you still alive Jake and your daughters safe too. I brought these boys to lend a hand with either defending your ranch or going after them come dawn tomorrow. You seen or heard anything from that bunch?"

The nameless man nods to Jake and his ranch hands, tips his hat to the ladies peeking through the curtains on the kitchen window. They both giggle and smile, then slide the curtain back.

The ranch hands relax more hearing the sherrif speak. The 4 young men are in their 20s and have older Navy colt pistols on their hips and older carbine riles, and a shotgun or two among them.

Jake eyes the nameless man and then glances over at the other party members taking in demeanors and guns. He says, "Not heard any sign of them since the other night when they tried to take Jess. I did shoot one of them, he might've died on their way back to their hideout. Looking at your friends here sherriff, other than that fellow in the back, the others look rather young to be deputies. They just a possee you rounded up?" He nods listening to the sherrif and says, "Well howdy to ya'll and thank you for offering your help. I'm much appreciative of the offer sherrif. I got room in the stable if you want to stay the night here."

The sherriff nods listening, "Not sure if we'll be staying the night, but we do need some water for our horses." He dismounts and nods gesturing to ya'll....
"I know their young Jake, but they seem to be decent folks, they came willingly to answer the wanted ads. I know they're doing it for the money, but I think perhaps even for your daughter's honor which is a surprise for sure, but sounds good to me."

The nameless man nods and dismounts, offering his horse up to one of the ranch hands who also takes the sherriff's horse to the watering hole.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 10:47
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.39 per day)
DosSantos dismounts looking directly at Jake as he is lighting his smoke considering his comment about their age then thinks it has happened to him before and it’s usually to his advantage when they underestimate him, then nods at Jake relaxes a bit and hands Dorado’s reign to the ranch hand that’s taking the horses
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 14:17
kilnpublications's Avatar
kilnpublications
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1118
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 65 (0.01 per day)
After hearing from several workers at the local newspaper of something interesting happening just outside of town, Phineus Babbage follows the group at a safe distance until they end up at the ranch. Trying to be as un-noticeable as possible, Phineus stands back from the ranch at about 300 feet and peers into his telescope to watch the proceedings......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 3rd of February, 2005, 14:52
Flagg Thornington's Avatar
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #952
Location: Sir Texas Sir
Posts: 1,026 (0.22 per day)
"Mister, I'm mighty sorry fer what happened to yer daughter. I mean to see 'em pay fer what they dun." His words are sincere as he dismounts nodding toward the cowboys.
__________________
We all live n learn, when we survive.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 02:07
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
On a Hill: Big Jake's Ranch

You stop on a hill just out of gunshot of the ranch and watch with your telescope...the party seems to be welcomed and after a bit of talking they dismount and go inside the rancher's house.

The ranch hands take their guns and head back to their duties. You see the cattle grazing in fields nearby and the place looks like its well built, but not made to stand up to any real attack.

Counting the ranch hands you see with the party, there are two others working with the cattle currently overseeing them feeding.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 02:14
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Big Jakes Kitchen

Jake nods and smiles to DosSantos and Buck, "Well boys, thank you, didn't realize there were still decent folks hereabouts. Come on in and have something cool. My dear Julia has some fresh apple pie if you'd like a slice."

They take your horses to water and the nameless man, the sherrif and ya'll head into Jake's kitchen where he gestures to a large table. His daughters peek out from the room nearby, eyeing all of you and your guns.

The nameless man takes off his hat at the ladies and nods, "Ma'am, thank you kindly." when Julia steps out to take everyone's coat and hat.

Julia appears to be an attractive dark haired lady of part Indian heritage. Probably in her early 30s, she smiles and puts several fresh apple pies on the table, with some forks and plates along with a large jug of cool cider and mugs.

He sits at the table along with the party. Jess really blushes seeing him and darts back into the other room with her younger sister. The older brother sits with his dad, looking a bit wide eyed too.

Jake offers everyone food and drink and sits himself down.

Outside, his ranch hands go back to their duties more at ease, but still alert.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 02:21
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.09 per day)
Feeling slightly more comfortable about the situation, Jose slides off his horse as he continues to fight the fit of coughing. He removes his carbine from its sheath (he might need it later), then hands the reins to one of the ranch hands as he follows the group inside.

Catching up to Dos Santos, he says quietly, "I'm not a military man, Santos, but this place would seem a difficult place to defend, no?"

(OOC Note: This should be before Lando's posting that everyone's inside.)

__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.

Last edited by Left-Handed Bandit; 4th of February, 2005 at 02:58. Reason: Adding more text...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 02:30
kilnpublications's Avatar
kilnpublications
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1118
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 65 (0.01 per day)
Phineus lies down prone on his stomach so that he is less noticable. He looks around very carefully at the ranch trying to get a better picture of the structure and what is going on. He pays careful attention to the ranch hands as they go about their business. He is ready however to scamper out of there and back onto the road if he sees anyone coming his way.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 03:11
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.09 per day)
Ever a gracious guest, Jose thanks the lady of the house as she takes his wide-brimmed hat, and he straightens his suit jacket before unbuttoning it to sit down.

The young gambler will be happy to have some cider and apple pie; he's not so far removed from being a kid that his sweet tooth has gone away completely.
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 03:21
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
On the hill watching

You lay down in the grassy hill overlooking the lush ranch before you. Panning your telescope around you see....

The place has several fields for grazing, fenced in to keep cattle from wandering off...main house, a few offshoots (for the ranch hands most likely), a large stable and a well in a stone courtyard...the road leads past the horse fence/stable into the courtyard in front of the house. The four hands are tending the horses and most of the main duties of the place as the other two on horses are watching the cattle graze. All have holsters with pistols on their hips. The ones on the horses also appear to have rifles.

The rifles/shotguns held by the four previously appear to be put back on a rack connected to an outside kitchen near the courtyard.... its a single standing structure, probably meant for the help's use.

Not much to defend except the house mostly and stable perhaps. The stable does have a loft from the looks of it.

As you pan around taking in everything you see a faint shimmer of light reflecting off something to the southwest of you...

[ooc: spot check]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 03:29
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Big Jake's Kitchen

Julia smiles graciously at Jose, "You're welcome, thank you for coming to help us." She also smiles at Buck and gladly pours you both mugs of cider and slices up the pie.

Jake hands a plate and fork to everyone and helps pass around the pie. He then clears his throat and looks at you three and then the sherrif and finally the nameless fellow.

"Mighty pleased to see you boys and your offer to deal with these hoodlums. Any ideas on what you plan to do? You can stay here if you want, I can get my boys to setup some bunks in the stable and we do have a guest room too."

He turns to his son, "Matthew go check on the girls and make sure they get some supper."

"Yes sir.", Matthew stands up and goes to check on his sisters.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 03:31
kilnpublications's Avatar
kilnpublications
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1118
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 65 (0.01 per day)
Phineus brings his telescope toward the southwest after detecting the glimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 4th of February, 2005, 05:07
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.39 per day)
Originally Posted by Left-Handed Bandit
Catching up to Dos Santos, he says quietly, "I'm not a military man, Santos, but this place would seem a difficult place to defend, no?"

(OOC Note: This should be before Lando's posting that everyone's inside.)

DosSantos nods at Jose "we best stick to one or two buildings; if the riders come they’ll be out in the open, won’t have where to hide, it’s a good enough position …"

once in the house
DosSantos tries to imitate Jose in the way he handles the situation inside the house, quickly takes off his hat after he sees the rest take theirs off, he is not used to being welcomed in a home, seams more nervous here then facing down a gun

Looks around at his companions, even the poncho man knows what to do, feels ashamed for tensing up at Jake, looks down at his boots, notices they are dusty and dirty, tries to dust off not to get the home dirty, not touching anything thinking he’ll break it, remembers Bucks words to Jake, makes him feel even worse, Buck knew why he was here and Santos always thinking of pulling a gun first, thinking everyone’s out for him…

Looks around at the place and his companions, then looks at his guns, maybe the saints steered him right,

This is worth fighting for



“if you don’t mind Don Jake, mam, I’d like to stay out in the barn, I recon them boys’ll come here first, that is unless you know where we can find’em and we get’em first, it’ll be better if we steer them away from here, they might get word we’re out for’em”

Last edited by Belkregos; 5th of February, 2005 at 02:22.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 01:40
Flagg Thornington's Avatar
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #952
Location: Sir Texas Sir
Posts: 1,026 (0.22 per day)
"Thanks fer the apple pie sir, It's as good as my grandmother's recipe. If you'll excuse me I'd like to have a look around your place." Buck excuses himself and strolls out front into the courtyard looking around the property for good vantage points and some cover.
__________________
We all live n learn, when we survive.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 03:06
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Outside on the hill

Originally Posted by kilnpublications Phineus brings his telescope toward the southwest after detecting the glimmer.
It's about 4:30 pm now as the sun passes by overhead. The glimmer you saw makes you turn to look over at yonder hill and you see someone else looking back! Appears to be someone else using a looking glass. They appear startled to see you and then duck down the hill out of sight.

[ooc: 17 total = 2+15 roll]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 03:13
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Big Jake's Kitchen

Originally Posted by Belkregos Looks around at the place and his companions, then looks at his guns, maybe the saints steered him right, This is worth fighting for

“if you don’t mind Don Jake, mam, I’d like to stay out in the barn, I recon them boys’ll come here first, that is unless you know where we can find’em and we get’em first, it’ll be better if we steer them away from here, they might get word we’re out for’em”
Big Jake smiles at the nervous DosSantos and says, "It'll be alright son, you and your friends are doing a good thing here by helping my family. As for them hearing about you, that might be true. I shot that fellow a day ago, so I've been expecting company ever since. If you want to stay we'll make sure you get fed a good meal."

Julia smiles at DosSantos, Jose and Buck. "You boys eat up and enjoy, I'll have Matthew and Jess make sure you rest well."

Julia then hollers for the two teens and instructs them to go get some of the bunks in the stable prepared and the guest room ready.

You see Jess is a blondish blue eyed lass in spring dress and sandals, about 5'6", lanky, but growing into her curves. She's about 15-16 yrs of age. Matthew is about 17-18, nearly 6' now and wearing chaps, pants, and tunic...has a holster on his hip still.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 03:14
Lando The Archmagi's Avatar
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member: #682
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,868 (0.99 per day)
Big Jakes Ranch

Originally Posted by Flagg Thornington "Thanks fer the apple pie sir, It's as good as my grandmother's recipe. If you'll excuse me I'd like to have a look around your place." Buck excuses himself and strolls out front into the courtyard looking around the property for good vantage points and some cover.
"Sure go ahead have a look around while there is still daylight." Jake nods and gets up as Julia gives instructions to her eldest children.

The nameless fellow stands and steps out to have a smoke and nods to Buck. "You want to make a stand here tonight?"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 04:25
Flagg Thornington's Avatar
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #952
Location: Sir Texas Sir
Posts: 1,026 (0.22 per day)
"I reckon if they come back tonight they'll be right surprised to find us waitin' for 'em, but this place seems way too open. I don't reckon I'll be sleepin' much tonight." Buck glances around cautiously.
__________________
We all live n learn, when we survive.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 04:33
kilnpublications's Avatar
kilnpublications
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1118
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 65 (0.01 per day)
Phineus after seeing the other individual looks around to see the quickest possible route down to the ranch without looking like he was spying on them. Thinking that approaching from the front might be the best way without being shot he makes his way toward the main entrance.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 04:43
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.39 per day)
DosSantos starts nods respectfully “Much obliged Don Jake, Doña Julia if you don’t mind I’ll take a look with outside too”



Starts walking with Buck and the Poncho, “I think we should make a stand here, they’ll be coming from the open and we can plan it good, we can work the fence to force them to get off their horses and came at us on foot.



OOC: does the external fence encircle the house? The entire ranch? Is there a high point where we can have a look out and get a warning when they’re riding in?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 5th of February, 2005, 05:42
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.09 per day)
Finishing up his pie and cider as the others head outside, Jose thinks about his conversation with Dos Santos before they walked in. Knowing his own physical limitations, the young gambler felt it was best he defended the ranch from a protected vantage point.

"If we do defend here tonight," he says to the sheriff. "Then I should find a crow's nest of a kind.

"Se
ñor Jake," Jose adds. "What do you have in the way of an attic here? Do you have a high place where one can fire in all directions?"

(If Jake answers yes) "May I see it,
señor?"
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren