Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Ergonomic Cat's Games > Our Eyes Have Seen The Glory

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 31st of August, 2010, 11:10
Ergonomic Cat's Avatar
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member: #8160
Location: La Crosse, WI (No zombies)
Posts: 845 (0.29 per day)
Issue 1: The Summoning

The message arrived for each hero in a different way.

Bike Star received an email via his fan site, flagged at a level of urgency he hadn't known existed, with no visible sender or return address.

Hoplite found an encoded message on a piece of paper placed between Sun Tzu's Art of War and the newest Stephen King novel.

The Wiz was surprised to find a message which appeared on the internal display her visor in glowing orange letters.

Brunt's team manager called him up to say that someone (he couldn't really recall any details, for some reason, must have been distracted) had stopped by the club looking for him, and left a time and place to meet up.

Moira received the psychic equivalent of a spam popup, a message being roughly shoved in to her mind in a way that was both unexpected and rather uncomfortable.

The Shadow received a message in the usual way.

Obsidian Dawn found a cell phone on the seat next to her at a restaurant, which rang as she noticed it.

And Blue Blazes simply found that his driver had taken a different route home today, and stopped in front of a large but surprisingly clean warehouse. Jeffrey simply told him "This is our destination today, sir" over and over again when questioned.

------------

As each hero arrived, suspicious, excited, annoyed, curious, or otherwise emoting, they were greeted by the same sight. Standing beside the front door stood a giant of a man dressed in a charcoal black suit, with a steel smith's apron. Easily 6'9" tall, and heavily muscled, most recognize him as The Forge, a member of the Ordersmiths. He nodded politely at each of them, exchanging generic and banal pleasantries while he looked them up and down, and then opened the door, ushering them in to large, open room.

Within the room sat a circle of nine chairs, each of a different design, and each labeled with the name of, presumably, a hero. Some were recognized, some were not. As each hero arrived, one more seat was filled until eventually eight of the nine chairs sat filled. The ninth sat empty, with the name of "Ghost Dancer" staring at each, as they waited for their last invitee. There were conversations, or not, among the gathered heroes, each responding per their temperament and desires for privacy or knowledge.

Eventually, a man dressed simply in blue jeans and a white t-shirt stepped from a door across the room. He didn't speak, or respond to any questions, he simply folded up the ninth chair, and carried it out, pushing a button on the wall as he did.

With the push of the button, four large white screens began to descend quickly. Once they were fully lowered, all four lit up, and the face of Iron Eagle filled the screens. His voice boomed in the vacant warehouse, as he spoke.

"Greetings heroes. I thank you for coming, especially on such short notice. As you may or may not know, 6 costumed heroes were killed several hours ago." He pauses to salute off screen. "This tragic event has shaken our community to the core, and we of the Ordersmiths have vowed to solve this crime, and bring the perpetrators to justice, swiftly and finally. Each of you has been selected because you possess a unique talent or ability that we hope will assist you in solving this crime. We in the Ordersmiths have a number of theories, but I have been asked not to share any of them in order to ensure your investigation is as unbiased as possible. Due to factors beyond this discussion, we are being ordered to stay hands-off in our involvement, and responsibility has been passed to your group."

"In case you haven't seen the news, I will show your official statement. I will then allow you time to get to know your fellow investigators, and then our robot will answer any questions it is able."

At this, the man in t-shirt and jeans steps out again, and stands ramrod straight, waiting for questions.

"Once you have finished your introductions, and gotten all the information you feel is needed, we will escort you to the crime scene, or anywhere else you require, so that you can begin your investigation. The Ordersmiths are running this show, make no mistake, but again, we will not be taking part in the investigation. If you need resources, we can provide basic levels, but anything beyond transport and information will be your responsibility. I believe a few among you should have the necessary assets for any thing else you might need. If you have information to report, you have each been provided a secure communicator under your chair, which can be used to leave us a message."

He salutes yet again as a newscast begins to run in the background. "I, the Ordersmiths, and your city salute you for the work you are about to perform. It may be dangerous, it may be tedious, but we are relying on you."

His last statement is nearly lost as the music swells dramatically.

-------------------------------------
"This is the Iron Eagle, broadcasting live from the Citadel of Iron. I know that many of you are aware that the heroes known collectively as Fight The Power were slain today. I wish, first, to extend my condolences to all of their family and loved ones, and to say that we in the Ordersmiths will do all that we can to find their killers and bring them to justice. Our doors are open to those who have knowledge of these crimes, or those whose lives have been impacted by the tragedy."

A shot of a decimated city block is shown.

"This killing is particularly heinous, in my eyes. While, regrettably, people are killed every day, even supers, it is rare that a group is targeted like this, and in such a vindictive way. The fact that 29 civilians were left in various states of distress is merely one part of the horrible nature of this crime. However, I am stating, here and now, to all who will listen, that the Ordersmiths and their associated groups will not allow this to recur. We *will* find those responsible, we *will* punish them, and we *will* protect those in our charge. In the next weeks, expect to see the Ordersmiths, the Sentinels, the Greenville Guardians, the Enforces, both New and Old, and several other groups patrolling the streets, keeping citizens safe. We will be in every dark corner, in every seedy bar, in every suspicious activity. AND WE WILL KEEP THE PEACE!"

Pounding his fist emphatically, Iron Eagle gestures off screen, and visibly calms himself.

"We have assigned a group of heroes uniquely suited to this investigation to devote their every waking moment to solving this crime. We have the utmost faith in them - they are unsullied by prior events, have no ties to anyone involved, and will be ultimately impartial and dogged in their search. We are keeping their identities a secret for obvious reasons, but know that we have complete faith in these heroes."

"I know that the tragically slain heroes had a history. I know that there were those who questioned their methods, and their motives. Who said they were running drugs, running crime families. I say to those people that the time for such accusations is past. We now must look to the people behind the masks, regardless of our feelings. We have put together a short retrospective of the 6 heroes in Fight The Power, which will conclude our broadcast tonight."

As stirring music plays, six portraits scroll across the screen.

An image of a woman covered only in semi-opaque ice flashes on the screen for a brief moment, then moves on.
Ice Box: 1982-2010.

An image of a young mixed race man clad in a green, yellow and red poncho over jeans, dreadlocks cascading down his back is revealed next. His right hand is blurred out, in the nature of nudity on broadcast TV.
Rastamon: 1992-2010.

An African American man, dressed all in black, with a black beret and dark sunglasses scrolls past next. His arms are crossed across his chest, and he has a large, gold plated handgun in each hand.
The Black Panther: 1972-2010

An exceptionally slender man dressed in a plain red spandex suit stands looking in to the middle distance. His mouth and jaw are slightly oversized.
Serpentis: 1988-2010

A man in an extremely well tailored Italian suit and a fedora stands with his back to the camera.
The Accountant: 1977-2010

A young Japanese woman, her hair frazzled, her expression one of deep confusion, sits in a wheelchair in an idyllic park.
Ikiryou: 1991-2010.

The screen fades to black.


-----------------------

OOC: As he said, feel free to talk amongst yourselves. If you want to expand on what you were doing prior, or add reactions to the messages, your trip over, your conversations prior to the announcement, etc, please do. If you have private questions, use your character threads, and I'll answer there. If you want to question the robot, simply do so.

Once you're all satisfied with the intro, we'll finish the first issue and start Issue 2 with the crime scene.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 31st of August, 2010, 11:55
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.25 per day)
The Shadow flicks open a lighter, a glossy shine affair with the colorful image of an attractive blonde haired woman in 50's era motif attire ( including poodle skirt ) lighting a cigarette on the front. Thumbing the thing he gets a flame and begins to puff gingerly at a cigarillo, getting it started. The flame doesn't penetrate the deepening of shadows, or even darkness, that hides his features. The one bright speck of flame on the end of the cigarillo as he leans back and takes a pull, a spot of bright red in the black that covers him. The darkness rolls off of his whole body in fact, in small waves and tendrils... but doesn't seem to affect anything and never more than say about a foot or so.

Finishing that first pull he snaps the lighter closed and slips it back into a pocket of his greatcoat, exhaling and sniffing slightly. "I'm not local. But these guys were a team, right? And they were all handled at once, and finished off in a bad way. It... doesn't seem to make sense. If they were trying to stop someone, well. For a professional, there would be no reason to kill them if he could have just taken them out and walked instead. This creates a lot more tension. A lot more headache. A professional wouldn't have done this. Unless 'they' -were- the job. And if that were the case this whole thing would have happened a lot cleaner. No city block demolished in the fight. A professional would have handled them one at a time. This is too messy, too chaotic. Too many chances to lose the fight.

So.

Something else happened here. It is... too strange. Yet, like I said. I am not local. Are any of you? This smells like something we are going to need some distinctly local intelligence regarding."

As he speaks Shadow's fingers, encased in dark leather gloves, of his free hand thrum lightly on the table in front of him. His body language speaks of his genuine consideration to the matter. He shakes his head slightly, though at what one can't tell exactly. "We are already at a disadvantage. They know we are trying to find them." he says, mild disgust in his voice.

He draws in another breath, then snaps his look over to the robot in the blue jeans. "What is known about the wounds of the deceased, or could be determined about the causes of death? Is there any information thus available that can help us determine the 'powers' or skills that were used in the killings?"
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 31st of August, 2010, 12:18
Ergonomic Cat's Avatar
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member: #8160
Location: La Crosse, WI (No zombies)
Posts: 845 (0.29 per day)
Originally Posted by Vortigern # He draws in another breath, then snaps his look over to the robot in the blue jeans. "What is known about the wounds of the deceased, or could be determined about the causes of death? Is there any information thus available that can help us determine the 'powers' or skills that were used in the killings?"
"Sir, the victims have been only superficially examined to determine whether their wounds presented a clear and present danger to others. It was determined that none of them suffered from lingering poisons, toxins, radiation, magic, galactic influence, extradimensional effects or supernatural afflictions. Iron Eagle was overheard to say that the killings were brutal but the specifics of the brutality or the exact conditions that caused him to utter that phrase were not specified. The entire area has been encased in a temporal field designed to preserve the location intact. By current estimates the field will last between 39.5 and 52.2 minutes before it becomes untenable and must be dismissed. Iron Eagle has cleared each of you individually or as a group to enter the crime scene. Additionally, a holo-recording using experimental technology has been taken, but will not be available for approximately 36 hours due to processing requirements."


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 31st of August, 2010, 16:39
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.68 per day)
Blue Blazes, which is odd since he is in a uniform of urban-camo, speaks up, "Given the time frames for the crime scene status field I suggest that those of you us with investigative skills should find their way to the scene of the crime. Those without should rack their brains for supers or organizations that not only could, but would want the city in chaos. More specifically who would want Iron Eagle miffed enough to pull the 8 of us together."

Blue does give The Shadow just a bit longer of a look when he looks around the room for volunteers to go to the crime scene.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 31st of August, 2010, 17:37
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
[Upon receiving the message]

Emily Vance is sitting in her tiny dorm room, putting the finishing touches on her little costume project.

Suddenly the internal display on her glasses shows a message in bright orange letters. This is odd, because these glasses are entirely custom-made with no networking capabilities.

Okay, this is weird. If someone has the ability to tamper with my hardware without me knowing how, I have to check out what's going on.

The spandex suit she'd gone out to buy as soon as she heard about what happened to Fight the Power sat on her small bed along with her Halloween wizard's hat and stun wand.

Well, I guess I've got an official call to action. Time for The Wiz to show these bullies that we supers will stick up for each other.

***

The Wiz, with her glasses morphed to visor mode to match the tech-spandex, boots and gloves, enters the room to find several other costumed folk already there. Well, she had taken the time to finish up her costume (it was harder work than she thought).

The only one there she recognizes is Psycho, who she knows was somehow affiliated with that Protectors group in Chicago which had made national news a couple of times. While she doesn't recognize the rest, they all look impressive enough. Though some seem intimidating like the guy in camouflage (which the nightvision on her visor does not seem capable of piercing) and the guy in the darkness, and the one in the baseball outfit seem quite out of place.

She finds a chair that had the initials "E.V." on it. Obviously they didn't know about her superhero name since she had just chosen it 3 hours ago! Still, the fact that they know so much about her scares her a little.

She sits down, and shortly thereafter, Iron Eagle begins his presentation.

**

The Wiz listens to the others speaking, while mentally fiddling around with her visor's displays, trying to get a good look at her team-mates (especially that guy with the weird darkness).

It must be magical. I don't think anything else could block so many channels of visual information in such a localized fashion. If he were playing by the rules, I'm sure something would be given off.

When Blue Blazes is done, The Wiz nervously clears her throat. "Well, I'm sort of a local, for the last few years anyway, and I have some useful equipment for analysing and investigating, and I think I would be able to help there. But don't you think we're rushing things a little? Shouldn't we, I don't know, introduce ourselves, get to know each other first, then start asking questions about the case?"

She glances around, seeing that she seems to have the attention of most of the group, who are staring at her as if expecting more.

"Oh, right, so um, yeah, my name is The Wiz, and I specialize in technology. I also consider myself pretty smart. I guess that's what you might need to know about me? Oh this is my first mission as a, um, hero, I guess? Actually, I haven't really done any crime-fighting before, I'm really new."

The Wiz breaks off at this point, blushing vividly. She looks expectantly to the others, hoping they'll chime in too.

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 1st of September, 2010 at 04:54. Reason: Tense agreement
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 01:40
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
Kevin King tried to figure out who might be calling him for a meeting. He thought it might be the Astros manager officially dropping him from the team roster, especially after last week's miserable performance which nearly cost the team their division lead. He couldn't figure out how come the Astros kept him on, except that he knew his performance in the Big Leagues was the oddity. One day I'll figure out why I suck it up in Texas Stadium.


As a result of his presumed meeting with the Astros, Kevin King was the only hero to show up out of costume. He was lucky that he had his face mask in his back pocket, and he slipped it on as soon as he stepped off his motorcycle and saw the Forge standing outside the door. Slipping into the Brunt persona, King also swung his cap around backwards and snuck a cigarette into his mouth.

He listened to the others' introductions, particularly that of the creepy guy in the shadows. He sounded really smart. Well, I'm a local, but, uh, like the, Biz? Wiz? Wiz here, I'm kind of new at this whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 04:20
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.71 per day)
Hoplite did not like the fact that the Ordersmiths had been able to track him so easily. After all, what was the point of having a secret identity if it wasn't secret? What other intrusions might make their way into his life, unwanted and unbidden.

Hoplite looked closely at each of the individuals in the circle. He noted Shadow, first to open his mouth, projecting himself into the situation and revealing more about his character than he was on the
situation at hand. Hoplite could think of several reasons why even a professional would be as noisy as this little display had been. Sometimes there was a message to be delivered, and violence was as effective a medium as a manifesto. Sometimes more so. He also thought it strange that Shadow seemed to think it was an individual as opposed to a group. There wasn't enough evidence to say one way or the other, and each scenario led to different concerns.

Blue Blazes was next, and Hoplie wondered at the mind behind the gas mask. This one spoke like a leader, but was he only a strategist or could he lead men and women into battle as well?"I may not possess much in the way of investigative skills, but I would still like to see the scene of the crime," he said, his voice sounding like gargled gravel. "I would suggest we all do: the better to understand our enemy."

His goggles concealed the narrowing of his eyes as he looked at the young woman calling herself The Wiz. She was too young for this, surely. A brief flash of memory: pain, blood, screams. He had been too young once to. He hoped her trial by fire didn't leave her as damaged as he. He hoped she held on to some of her innocence when all of this was done.

"You can call me Hoplite," he stated, then turned back to the masked athlete. "Are you so new that you don't have a name?" He had to bite back the urge to comment on the ridiculous bit of face fur that sprouted from the man's chin like a bit of yellow fungus.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 04:52
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
"Um, yeah. Hi, Hoplite? Sounds kind of, I don't know, like a cowboy. Oh, sorry. No offense, dude. But yeah, I've got a name it's Kev--er Brunt. Call me Brunt. Like 'bunt' but with a 'br' like it's cold out or something. And I, uh, agree with Hopalong, err Hoplite. I'm not a cop or anything, but if looking at dead people can keep me safe, then I'm all for it."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 05:35
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.68 per day)
Amazing. The so called Wiz sounds like she is a lab rat...I wonder if she has any forensic know-how? As for the Babbling Brunt, he better be a powerhouse or he is going to be cannon fodder!

Blue Blazes nods towards Hoplite, "If we are to get there before others can tamper with it, including the elements we have only 38 minutes left according to the robot. How many of you have movement powers or abilities?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 07:24
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.25 per day)
Shadow crosses his legs, leaning back in his chair and taking another pull on his cigarillo. The smoke he exhales is thick, cloy and spicy. A takes in a breath, a thoughtful pause. His manner is almost genteel, one hand managing the cigarillo inbetween his first two fingers. Absently he flicks the ash and it dissolves in a sparkle of flame, withering to nothingness before it touches the table surface. His other hand gestures minorly as he speaks.

"How many 'new' people do we have? It would be... untoward to allow such to come to undue harm. Perhaps it would be best to pair up such individuals with those of us that are more experienced.

Not that I am fond of the idea of babysitting. Still. We have what we have. I'll take the girl to the battlefield and begin investigating immediately then. Those who are interested can feel free to accompany me. Afterwards we can reconvene here and go over our findings and query the good robot here with greater liesure. All agreed?"
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 07:40
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
"Well, if time is of the essence, I suppose I can't really disagree, can I? Okay, I'll go with you, uh-"

The Wiz looks questioningly at the man in the shadows, unsure how to adress him.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:06
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.25 per day)
Shadow's attention focuses on Wiz for moment, plain by the change in the angle of his head since his features are shrouded. As he stands he stubs snuffs out the cigarillo with a gesture of one hand, index finger and thumb passing over the tip. The flame and remaining ash vanishing as the fingers pass over the thing. He slides the remainder into a silver case, and the case back into his pocket.

"I've been told people have started calling me 'Shadow'. I tend to prefer not to give my name however, so it will do. A pleasure to meet you, though I wish it were under more pleasant circumstances." he says, bowing slightly towards Wiz, mostly an inclination of his head and shoulders. Shifting a bit on his feet he looks towards Blue then. "I 'can' transport people. Yet I prefer to hold my resources in reserve. If it comes to that, I can move us. Yet for now, I think I would prefer to rely upon you, if that is acceptable."
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:15
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
"So all we all going together, or in groups? I think um, Hoplite has the right idea, all of us getting a chance to look at the crime scene."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:15
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.68 per day)
Smiling behind his mask, Blue says, "Well then. It will take two jumps from here to get there I think. I am not sure if I can take the entire group, but two or three at a time should be possible. Anybody else have something to offer?"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:23
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
"Mr. Blackness or whatever. You don't need to talk down to people. Some of us do stuff for a living, you know. And I don't need babysitting from a know-it-all like you. I can handle myself."

Brunt turned to look directly at The Wiz. "Geez, some people really think they're better than you, don't they?"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:30
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
"Well, I don't know about you, but I could sure use all the help I can get, learning the ropes. I mean, I wouldn't even have thought about transportation issues, and saving stuff for later.

"If you don't mind my asking, what's with the baseball clothing? That seems kind of an odd outfit for a crime-fighter to wear. Not that I really know much about these things..."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:46
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
"I guess I just don't take well to people talking down at me. I mean, it's one thing to offer to help. It's another to treat people like they're somehow dirt. I'm somebody, you know, somebody outside of this mask.

"Err, it's a uniform, you dig? Didn't really plan on being some sort of hero. It just kinda happened, and fast too. You see people like Iron Eagle, and you know he spent some time planning that outfit, like he knew it's what he wanted to do. Me, it's kind of like I found my way here by accident. Well, no, it's not like that. I did find my way here by accident."

Last edited by Mercutio; 1st of September, 2010 at 09:00.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 08:54
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
"You know, it's weird, but I wouldn't have ever thought of being a hero either, until today. And just as I decide that I have to do something after those heroes were all killed, I get a message calling me in. I don't know about you, but that sounds like some kind of sign to me."

The Wiz walks over to the robot standing at attention in the corner. "So, um, Mr. Robot, Iron Eagle mentioned resources? How much access to technical equipment would I have? Oh, and would you mind me investigating you after we're done at the crime scene? I've never seen such sophisticated A.I. before..."

If Brunt still wants to respond to The Wiz, we can have that happen before she goes over to the robot.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 10:24
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.25 per day)
Shadow is at first silent at Brunt's reaction. A slight tile to his head reveals his 'is' thinking something about it, but words are longer in coming. Observing the interaction between The Wiz and Brunt afterwards he clasps his hands over his abdomen and seems almost... amused.

"Well, ah, Brunt, I don't think I offered to 'babysit' for you at all. So. You have no onerous experience of spending time in my company foreboding over your future afterall. Do you? Good. Now. We have no need of being friends, merely of acheiving synergy in our mission. It is... merely professional."


Then he turns back to Hoplite, giving him the same slight bow as he gave to The Wiz. "A pleasure to meet you as well Sir. I assume you will accompany us? Or do you wish to travel seperately?"
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 13:08
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.71 per day)
"If you don't mind the company, I will travel with you," Hoplite replied to Shadow. "Before we go, we should give the others a chance to introduce themselves." He turned to the robot. "Assuming means of travel isn't being provided to us by the Ordersmiths."

Team dynamics and the politics of power were already at work sharping the team. He cautioned himself to watch and listen for now, to see what the others did first and see where he was needed most. A small smile played across his mouth. This was familiar territory.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 13:44
dabocim's Avatar
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7702
Location: Longmont
Posts: 1,009 (0.32 per day)
Obsidian Dawn answered the phone cautiously for two reasons firstly a group of super heroes had just been murdered in a violent explosion and second the last time she had answered a phone that rang it had given her location to her brother who was still hunting her for an unknown reason. She accepted the call and said, "Hello? Who is this?"
and a voice replied, "You will know in time. Do you know the warehouse just down the street? If so go there now, if not ignore this message."

Lenora turned around and walked out of the restaurant and sprinted down the street. She had a feeling that she did know this warehouse. She passed it nearly everyday on the way to work, and everyday she wondered why it seemed so empty every day. Throwing caution to the wind she went full speed down the street and was at the warehouse in mere seconds. She walked to the door and found it unlocked she entered the door and walked inside.

She found a receptionist who turned to her as she walked in and said go through that door over there. I believe they're waiting for you. She knew that she looked mainly human but she was disturbed by how easily the receptionist seemed to notice that she truly was slightly transparent. She walked through the door and took a seat next to the other hero who seemed hard to actually focus upon. She Listened to the conversation without much input.
Then a decision was made The Shadow, and Hoplite would be going to the crime scene. She said, "I'll scout ahead of you guys because I could probably get there in a few minutes depending on how far it is."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 14:54
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.37 per day)
"Jesus, Mario. Would you shut up? If I wanted to know what you were thinking, I'd read your mind." Psycho looked daggers at Mario Milito, aka Mr. Amazing, 'Captain' of the State of Illinois' Super-team, the Protectors. She considered, briefly, making him punch himself right in his concerned, self-righteous face.

It was really clear to everyone involved what was going on here - the Protectors were going in a different direction, temporarily at least. There was no room in their roster for Moira Barrie.

The Showman, Zeke Zibkowski, was next to speak up, "Look, Moira - it's nothing personal."

"Liar. Try better."


"Man, Moira! Can't you stop that? We're on a team, here. A little privacy in my own thoughts, yeah?"

"You're just mad because I know you're a liar. And that you want to 'tap' Bomber's 'fine ass.' Oh. That was still a secret?" Moira smirked within her cowl at Zeke's blush and stammering denials.

"Whatever, Pretenders. Good luck stopping that thing i saw the other day without me." Moira stripped off her cloak in the Protectors' gaudy Orange and Blue, revealing her glittering, pale blue skin - the remnant of ancient Kree bloodlines in both sides of her family colliding together - and the form-fitting dark blue jumpsuit she wore underneath it was all she wore.


*****

Moira was... adrift. In a blink of an eye, a fledgling race called the Casiens on the 2nd planet of the Morlian Solar System, 40 million light years away on the other side of the Milky Way galaxy, discovered Nuclear Power and one-hundred thousand Casiens died in the terrible use of mankind's most terrible scientific weapon.

But rare was she able to see things so clearly. Her mind was clouded with a Universe full of genocides, wars, rebellions - atrocities. It seemed the good parts of the Universe weren't in the plans of whomever had burdened Moira with this Awareness. Someone had sprayed water down Moira Barrie's cheeks.

She thought for the third time that day that she should call her... Nancy. Certainly, Moira's own mo.... Nancy would want to speak to Moira. Isn't that what girls who'd just gotten fired did, is call their Moth... Nancy? She reached over and grabbed the phone, wiping the wetness off her cheeks, when her moment of serenity and conviction was shattered by an image.

Iron Eagle, Commander of the Delta's Ordersmiths was on a poster, his finger pointing straight at Moira in a strangely fitting reincarnation of the old Uncle Sam for U.S. Army posters. A recruiting slogan blared through her telepathic mind, beckoning, calling, insisting that she come to the Delta.

She may not have been able to stop Nuclear War on Casien, but she should have been in the Delta for a week, anyway. It had been a week since those two, particular visions. A week since - well, a week since she'd collapsed into Mr. Amazing's surprised arms, revealing the weakness and redeeming the fear in her companions' thoughts. Moira was unstable. Moira was cracking under the strain of their duties. Psycho was, perhaps, a freaking Psycho!

How could Moira share what she's seen, when the Protectors thought those thoughts about her just when she needed them most?

It was past due Moira left Chicago, anyway. The Delta and the Ordersmiths were as good as any other place or group to hide in.

*****

Psycho sulked when she saw the robot in the meeting, even though there were plenty of thoughts floating around the room, unprotected, unguarded. Quite foolishly. She was distracted as the robot tweeted about something or other, her mind literally somewhere else as it was flooded with information of the galaxy at large.

Then, one of the assembled freethinkers said something which piqued her interest, "Before we go, we should give the others a chance to introduce themselves."

Moira sat up straight in her chair, no longer quite so bored with the entire ordeal. None of these people knew anything interesting - except the Robot. And the robot wasn't exactly broadcasting on the frequency Moira was tuned into. "Please, allow me. It'll save a bunch of time, and cut through all of the usual 'Who's more mysterious and guarded' bull that goes on when any group of supers bumps into each other outside of a dark Alley. The Gentleman with the baseball hat, the cigarette, and infuriating mental discipline insists on being called Brunt, and is able to adjust his size when the need arises, though not, apparently, through Hank Pym's wonderful Particles."

The man in the trenchcoat, the Shadow, is worried about what this all means. He has a rep as gunman and lady's man, but I can see, now, that the more interesting parts were a wee bit exaggerated. Blonde Bomber will be crushed when she finds out. Also, none of us care what his name is. It isn't all that interesting. Believe me."


Then there's the waif, too light to exist, nearly, but calling herself Obsidian Dawn - ridiculous, for a pale white girl who makes Paris Hilton look robust and well-fed. She's new to the game, nearly a complete rookie. But not as lilywhite as..."

The Wiz, barely hours into her Superhero career. Your brain is powerful, but not in the way mine is. It's different. Like your outfit. Are you colorblind, lady?"

This guy, Blue Blazes, is like," Moira inflects her voice with a surge of girlish titter, "totally a bad-ass. But seriously... Guns, bows, arrows... you name it, he uses it. Or makes it. His mind's kind of hopping about, and there're a lot of people in this room.

And the 'sheriff' here is Bike Star, our resident Human Motorcycle. He can explain what, exactly, that means to those of you who don't get it. You know who you are.

Hoplite, on the other hand is... interesting. How do you do that? Blue Blaze's trick is interesting and all, but... interesting. I'll show you mine if you show me yours."


Moira leaned back a moment, before sitting back up in a hurry. "Oh, and I'm Pyscho. And I'm psychic, for that same person who knows who he is."

"There. Now we're not strangers anymore."

__________________
GM
none currently
Player
To the Arena! To the Death!

Last edited by Krypton; 2nd of March, 2013 at 05:56.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 1st of September, 2010, 20:30
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.71 per day)
Hoplite felt the corners of his mouth turn up in a smile. "Maybe once we get to know each other better, Psycho," he replied, though he wasn't sure what trick it was she was referring to. "I like to keep my thoughts to myself, until I'm ready to share them. Really though, I'm not all that interesting."

Last edited by Darius; 2nd of September, 2010 at 01:21.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 2nd of September, 2010, 09:41
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.71 per day)
[OOC: I assume that the robot has responded in some way to Emily by the time Psycho begins her rant. In any event, Emily will wait to see what the robot has to say before answering Psycho]

Wiz turned her face down towards her suit, and muttered under her breath, "Wh-what's wrong with the colours of my costume? I mean, I know it's not really tech, but I don't have the resources for a power suit yet..."

Raising her head and her voice this time, "Well then. That was something, and I guess that got the introduction mostly taken care of. Thanks for the compliment.

Emily wasn't often complimented on her brains, except by her parents and close friends. Everyone else always seemed jealous or threatened. It felt nice to have an outsider just acknowledge her intelligence, and treat her as some kind of equal. Obviously there was some condescension there, but no active criticism. Well, except that bit about her costume. What was wrong with it?

"So, are we gonna be heading to the crime scene now?"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 2nd of September, 2010, 10:08
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
Kevin was far too dense to even catch Psycho's hints about how dense he was. He merely noted that she had said he had "infuriating mental discipline." That was a new one for him. He knew he wasn't bright; he'd been told that most of his life, which is why he focused so hard on professional baseball as a way to success. It had been either that or some manual labor job like slinging hammers or carrying furniture. There was no way to live a comfortable life like that, and Kevin definitely wanted a comfortable life. Best put this Kevin stuff behind me. That Psycho chick probably knows my name already, but it's not a good idea to have that spread around.

Brunt chose to ignore the mental intrusion. He hadn't even known that people really could read minds. Always considered that science fiction garbage. In fact, until he'd found the watch, he wasn't sure he'd really believed in all the super hero stuff the news always talked about. Mutants and flying dudes with big hammers and weird space aliens? That was all National Enquirer crap. And considering the kind of nonsense the Enquirer printed about him, Do I really come across as gay? That ain't cool, it wasn't hard to dismiss it all out of hand. But then he'd become a sort of hero himself, saving that woman from being mugged.

People are still talking. Guess I better speak up.
"I have no method of super transportation, but I do have a motorcycle. How far away is this scene? Might take me awhile to ride there. Unless someone's got some way for me to tag along with them."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren