Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 25th of January, 2011, 05:47
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Member: #9095
Hey everyone. Anybody wanna play Marvel Universe RPG?

Hello one and all. I'm a big fan of the Marvel Universe RPG ruleset. For those who dont know whet the rules are like, it dont get much simpler than that,and its perfect for forum play.

Why,do you ask? Its ressource managment based instead of dice probability based. What that means is that in order to suceed at something, you just have to use enough energy from an energy reserve. Works for fighting, lockpicking,busting a door, lifting a car,etc.

There's a chart in the book that lays out in detail how much ressources accomplishing something needs,so no headaches.

Also,character creation takes minutes and can accomodate most any concept,from the martial artist to the telepathic mutant and so on. There are no set classes so your character can basically be whoever you want.

There are no character levels either. There is experience however,which comes in the form of "lines". A "line" of experience is basically something you did towards raising one of your actions or attributes. An "Action" is something a superhero can do. Examples include Close combat,ranged combat, acrobatics, optic blast etc. Attributes are things like "Strength,Speed,Agility",and such. A line of experience for Close Combate would be something like "Beat up a bunch of thugs,Close Combat". 10 lines like that would raise your close Combat by one rank.

All in all, i would love to play the game, only all my friends arent intrested because its different and has no dice. Anybody intrested? Feel free to ask me questions about the system all you want, i've got a good grasp on it.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 08:12
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Welcome to the boards!

If you've got an idea for a game that really grips me, I'll give it a shot. I'm always wanting to get into a supers game, but it never seems to actually happen.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 08:58
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
I would also show interest.

I have tried to play in over 30 games of MURPG........
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 09:03
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
There've been a couple start-ups of that system lately, but they all died out. It obviously IS well-suited to this system... but it takes some juice to get up and running. There're definitely folks interested in this system, and I've been waiting for my ASIFRP game to lock into a stable game before attempting to start my own version of this, but I'd DEFINITELY be down to play in one. A great system, especially for PbP.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 09:22
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Three people on the first day,not bad. I do have an idea, but much of that idea will come from your character's backgrounds. Much of the first few issues will serve as playing out how your character went from normal to super. If for example, you were being Spider-man, i'd play out starting on the day you were bitten by a radioactive spider.

The reason i'm doing this is because the story would be centered around a feldgeling group of young supers forming itself in New York,calling itself the Irregulars(name open to suggestions). And since your characters would be originally created supers, i thought backgrounds being fleshed out would be a good idea. As always i'm open to constructive critisism.

As for what you'll be getting into later on in the game, it will include teaming up with known supers from the Marvel universe from time to time and also squaring off against known villains. But at the start of the game, it'll start small like local stuff and whatnot. Its all about evolution. I'll also introduce my own gallery of made-up supers and villains,some of which could be based off your character's backstories.

Since i'm not the absolute comic book connoisseur,the canon i'll be putting the play in isnt a specific one,or rather its one that's tailored specifically for the game. As for rules, character creation is done with the standard 40 stones cost for those who know what i'm talking about. That's rule number one.

Rule number two,more like a guideline actually,i would like the characters to be teenagers. This rule is open to discussion.

Rule three,at the risk of repeating myself,made-up characters only. That's the idea of the rp, to grow and evolve your own character and character squad. Every character concept goes thru me for aproval.

If you have any questions,i'll do my best to answer them as quickly as possible.

I'll be in the chatroom for awhile.

Last edited by EBNall; 25th of January, 2011 at 09:25.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 09:44
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Color me interested. I would like to see 'Fate' give the 'team' a rounded group of individuals though. In general I find that if there is a group of 4 people and all four end up being Wolverine knockoffs that the game gets dull very fast. That is not to say that 2/5 could be tank/scrappers as it were. The best thing about MURPG is that a Tank could have lots of Toughness, be a power armor techie, use forcefields/magic, or maybe control inertia (making attacks slow down to a crawl)......

If we are going to be a team, lets do a little 'power' sharing, and then work on backgrounds, please.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 09:54
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Thanos,i agree 100% with you on this point. Diversity is a must,although i sincirely hope it wont drive people away.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 11:32
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

I forgot to ask,is everybody familiar with the ruleset? Cuz if you are,i could post the character sheet guidelines.
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 17:25
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Originally Posted by EBNall # I'll be in the chatroom for awhile.
Originally Posted by The Chatroom [Join] - [EBNall]]
<EBNall> cool,a moderator. Hey, how are ya?
[Quit] - [EBNall] - Reason: [Quit: Visit us at http://online-roleplaying.com/]
I was at work.
Unread 26th of January, 2011, 00:15
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Itches,my apologies. I should have guessed from the way your nick looked on the chatroom.
Unread 26th of January, 2011, 03:40
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I am willing to take a filler spot on the team...ie if other people want techie, tank, leader, telepath, mage, etc I will fill in.
Unread 26th of January, 2011, 04:32
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Maybe i should lay down the character sheet guidelines,i just hope its the right place to do so. I'll be taking in 3 players. I think that's the most i can manage.

Character Name:

Secret identity(name when not in costume):

Wealth:

Height:

Weight:

Health:

Energy:

Regeneration rate:

Character description(both in and out of costume,be as detailed as you wish):

Backstory(will be played out in the first few issues. Should mention all the details that brought you from normal to powered up,be it a huge trust fund,an accident or the mutant gene activating,or whatever you can think of.):

Atributes:

Actions(should at least include some Close and Ranged Combat as well as some degree of Social Skill. General knowledge optional but recommended.):

Modifiers:

Challenges(they are defects that give your character additionnal stones to spend):

Equipment(can consult GM for costs on custom stuff):

As usual, if there are any questions about either the system or the game itself, feel free to pm me. I answer relatively quickly.

Last edited by EBNall; 30th of January, 2011 at 06:14.
Unread 26th of January, 2011, 07:32
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Also i found this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kj9zot...RPG1.1.2.0.msi

A little application for building characters. Its quite good if i say so myself.
Unread 28th of January, 2011, 06:48
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Hrm. On second thought, I don't think I should really take on any more games right now. Sorry, but I'll have to cheer from the sidelines on this one; if anyone lurking wants my spot in the game, go for it!
Unread 28th of January, 2011, 07:59
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Thanks, Leadpal,for the encouragment...however doesent look like many people have shown intrest so far. Except for Thanos and Krypton. Hevent heard from Krypton in awhile and Thanos will probably fill in his application after everyone else.
Unread 28th of January, 2011, 08:46
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
I'm just too busy right now to take on another game, so I didn't want to claim a spot someone else wanted.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 28th of January, 2011, 10:30
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Which takes the game back to square one. So be it. there are now 2 free spots for this rp.
Unread 29th of January, 2011, 04:29
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
At some point, I'd like to revisit my last attempt at creating a MURPG hero (The Wiz), hopefully without her getting too blunt an introduction to the horrors of crime-fighting this time. Problem is, like most people have said so far, I'm too busy right now for another game. So I'll probably lurk.

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 29th of January, 2011 at 06:53.
Unread 29th of January, 2011, 06:47
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

OK. I call Group MAGE and all around non-tech support character!
Unread 31st of January, 2011, 11:29
mikeleen
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9097
Hello, I'm new here and I would very much like to join an RPG campaign over the internet, PBP sounds good. I want to participate.

Anyhow, I don't know the Marvel Universe RPG ruleset. Would you be so kind so as to guide me? I'll attempt to make a character sheet with the guidelines you provided.
Unread 31st of January, 2011, 13:06
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I sent you a PM, but EBNall can certainly help you as well.
Unread 31st of January, 2011, 13:35
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

I sent a pm as well. Mine was actually a co-ordinates request. Thanks Thanos.
Unread 1st of February, 2011, 02:51
Haraphen
Ghoul

Member: #7958
I have played the MURPG before im ahuge fan of the game and the setting. id like to play a techie Tanl i think. ill try and make some basic character information up for you EBNall and pm it tou you asap
Unread 1st of February, 2011, 03:05
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Allright, so unless either one backs up, Haraphen and Mikeleen have the spots. Welcome to the game,people
Unread 1st of February, 2011, 08:49
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Interested, just distracted due to business travel IRL at current.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."