Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Krypton's Games > The Silence of Sotheling

Reply
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 03:22
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
With an overly embellished flourish and bow, Aric keeps the corner of his eye trained on the baton. I'd like to try to end this quickly, but brash action would almost certainly leave me open to an inevitably dooming reprisal. As the baton begins its painfully slow, yet nearly instant, fall the ground and Owyn steps back from the fighters, the dance begins.

[ooc: Agility+Quickness Test: 21 below is his continued action assuming he's beaten Harald in the Agility test. Otherwise, below will be editted out.]


The very moment the baton graces the ground with its presence, Aric's blades begin to weave a hypnotically fluid pattern around his body. A quick eye would perceive that in an almost imperceptible split second, the longer blade leaves the weave and darts toward Harald. But then the moment is over and the longer blade is weaving along with its partner. Or did it ever really leave the weaving in the first place?

[ooc: Using Braavosi Fighter 2 - greater action to make an attack forfeiting all bonus dice, the die result of the attack divided by 5 will be added to Aric's defense (of 18) until his next turn 21 --> Aric's defense is 22 for now]
__________________
LuneMoonShadow: (I'm sick)
Boomlaor: Didn't I tell you to be more careful in Singapore?
LuneMoonShadow: Failed my will save... Then my fort save.

Last edited by Merbak; 14th of January, 2011 at 03:27. Reason: Summing defense value for ease of access
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 06:29
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Harald grunted as Aric's practice blade struck hard under his arm where the less protective chain was all that protected the big knight's joints. Aric was even quicker than Harald had anticipated, and it was going to take more skill than the knight probably had to land a blow.

Ser Harald countered quickly enough with a sweeping downward blow aimed at the quick bastard's shoulder that missed wide of the mark.

[ooc: nothing special here- just a straight attack. 15 not likely to hit given the defense of 21... /ooc]
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 06:49
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
Aric, watches the greatsword swing by him, slightly nudging it with his blade as he danced by the slice. While he was no stranger to big swords being thrust in his direction, Aric had definite concerns about whether a sword that big could really be called a 'practice' anything. If I had to block those swings directly, he thought, I'd lose my arm just from the impact. Glad that he had trained as he had Aric darts in for another quick strike from the web of metal he wove around himself.

[ooc: 24 another swing with BFII, as Aric has the feeling that if he stops, he will get broken in half by a sword as big as he is]
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 08:19
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
Owyn steps between the two of you, interceding on his cousin's behalf, "Hold!" He commands both of you. Harald grunts in pain, holding his arm with the other - it is clearly damaged by the assault of the Water Dancer on the joints beneath his arm, and will be immobilized for a couple of days while it heals.

"Cousin, I thought we sent you to the Florents to learn to fight?" Owyn jests, knowing full well his cousin's capabilities.

"Well, Aric. It seems that you're more than the match of my cousin, today. Have you had enough exercise, or would you like to try the Castellan, next?"
__________________
GM
none currently
Player
To the Arena! To the Death!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 15:18
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
"Milord, it would seem to me mean spirited to render such abuse to Ser Harald and then not allow someone else the opportunity to welt my hide in return. If your Castellan would like, I would be pleased to dance with him as well... especially if the weapon he wields is sized more like a sword, and less like an oak tree." With a raised eyebrow, he looks to Daegon, asking silently whether or not he is interested in the dance.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 21:47
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Harald grimaced slightly. "I was trained to fight those who fought in the same style as I: armor and shield, with heavy weapons designed to break through armor." He shrugged, slowly, and with some pain, removing his shield from his arm.

"I doubt our Castellan will fare much better, though I wonder, Aric, how would you fare in mounted combat?"
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Unread 14th of January, 2011, 23:13
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
"I can answer that easily: you would have no need to even unsheathe your weapon. The monstrous beast would throw me to the ground and trample me to death before you could get to me. Animals hate me and there's no hiding it." He says with a grin, "Though if you'd like to charge me from horse, Castellan, I'd be willing to provide you sport from down here."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Unread 17th of January, 2011, 12:11
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.04 per day)
Norjen approaches the practice grounds, a bag of some sort slung over a shoulder. His gait slow, he eyes the unfolding match with a knowing smirk. As Aric's display of finesse and skill triumphs over Harald's sheer strength, he claps softly. "Bravo Master Waters, it would appear that your reputation is well earned..."

Norjen appraises Harald's injuries before pulling various jars of ointment and strips of cloth from his bag. "Perhaps this will serve as a reminder that not all of life's problems can be solved with brute force, hmm?" He chides Harald as he works, deftly immobilizing the injured arm.

Glancing up at Aric's comments in regards to mounted combat he swiftly responds, his tone severe. "There will be no charging of anyone gentlemen! The House can ill afford injuries to any of its members, especially given recent events. Beat on each other with your pointed sticks if you must, but no horses."

-------

Healing test for appraisal of injury:

18 +6 Educated

Last edited by GIJ00; 17th of January, 2011 at 21:15.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Unread 17th of January, 2011, 22:01
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Harald winced as he first stripped out of his armor before Norjen attacked him with his poultices and bandages.

He squinted hard at the Maester before responding, "Funny, you don't look much like my mother."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Unread 19th of January, 2011, 03:57
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.04 per day)
Norjen's response comes by way of abruptly tightening the bandages wrapping Harald's arm. "It's a shame Master Waters didn't aim for the jaw, it would spare us all from your biting wit and charm."
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 05:33
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
Owyn takes Daegon's silence to mean he will abstain from battling Aric Waters, "Fine then, Castellan. Drop the baton. I will fight him."

Owyn begins assembling his kit about him, even as he stares at the rack of weapons, brain obviously furiously playing out the various scenarios that could occur if he selects each one. He stops them before they've fully assembled his plate, leaving only his vitals covered, "No, for Aric I'll need to be able to move, I imagine."

He steps forward, and collects a strange pair of weapons - a net and trident. "The Crannogmen fight this way, binding their opponent in nets to keep him from moving."

"Let's see if my net can catch water."
__________________
GM
none currently
Player
To the Arena! To the Death!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Unread 22nd of January, 2011, 04:42
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
With a smile, more than willing to give it a try, even if it means being wrapped up and poked with a stick. He quips as he faces off against his brother squarely, "Of course your net can catch water, milord, the more important question is will it keep water."

After standing there for a few moments he glances to the side. "Would one of you call out a start, or drop the baton, or do something of the like? As handsome of men as we both are, I think we'd rather be staring into the eyes of a lady than each others."
__________________
LuneMoonShadow: (I'm sick)
Boomlaor: Didn't I tell you to be more careful in Singapore?
LuneMoonShadow: Failed my will save... Then my fort save.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Unread 25th of January, 2011, 06:39
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
When no one calls out, or comes to drop the baton, ostensibly due to the seriousness of Norjen, and perhaps also due to the fact that the request came from the bastard, Aric pulls out a small coin and looks at his brother. "We'll start when it hits the ground." Flipping it high into the air, he assumes a ready stance.

During the eternity that the coin hangs in the air, Aric considers opening by removing the net from his brother's hand. If I do, though, I won't be fully set to defend myself, and he'll come at me with that man-stabbing-fork with both hands. I suppose I'll just have to fight as normal, and hope for the best.

When the coin touches the ground, Aric launches forward, weaving a web of steel around himself and attacking in the same manner he went for Harald, hoping to get lucky.

[ooc: attack roll w/ BF 2 21 that divided by 5, plus 18 = current defense as usual. It's 22 defense.]
__________________
LuneMoonShadow: (I'm sick)
Boomlaor: Didn't I tell you to be more careful in Singapore?
LuneMoonShadow: Failed my will save... Then my fort save.

Last edited by Merbak; 25th of January, 2011 at 06:39. Reason: Summing the defense.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Unread 27th of January, 2011, 01:47
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
(2 degrees of success for you there, Merbak, as Owyn's Combat Defense is at an 11)

With a mountebank whirl, the net in Owyn's hand is spread out and flung towards you, wrapping your whirl of sword and dagger and your body alike in its weighted folds.

Naturally, this is quite frustrating to someone used to relying on his own ability to move around.

(Rules for Entangled characters: -5 to all checks. The entangled can free itself by spending a greater action and succeeding on a Challenging Athletics test (bonus dice from Strength apply) or Agility test (contortionist applies). You can't get re-entangled until you break free. Note that the -5 applies to the checks to get free as well.)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Unread 27th of January, 2011, 02:52
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
With depressed sigh, Aric considers his options for a moment. To stop moving is to start dying, my old instructor said...and I don't really have the option to not stop at this point. Either I stop to free myself, or I stop moving as well to press the attack. Well, 'When in doubt, do the unexpected', I suppose. Instead of backing off to free himself, Aric charges forward clumsily, working his arms just free enough to take a swing.

[ooc: Charge (-1d on the attack for +2 to weapon damage, for a total of 7 base damage[roll]9d6b5-5[/roll] (includes the -5) ]
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Unread 27th of January, 2011, 04:21
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
Aric lumbers less gracefully at Owyn, then with a leap, yell, and a swing leaps at his younger half-brother. The force of Aric's body drives them both to the ground, and drives the wind out of Owyn's lungs as Aric lands on top, the dagger in his off-hand at his Lord's throat.

The scene is still for a moment - it has been a while since Owyn had been bested in the sparring ring - before Owyn smiles and flops Aric off of him.

"You may be a Waters, but you fight like a Sotheling. The Conningtons won't know what hit them!" Owyn says quietly as he reaches out and raises your hand high as the victor. Then, louder, he annouces "The problem with catching things in nets is always getting them into the boat."

"Return safely, there will be students for you to teach when you do."

Waving off the Maester's fussings, Owyn marches into the Keep, leaving each of you to your day.

(Owyn is DEFEATED by Aric. Also - note that you apparently do only have to tie the combat defense to hit in this system. You still didn't take him down in one hit, but that's good to know.)
__________________
GM
none currently
Player
To the Arena! To the Death!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 19:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren