Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darius's Games > Kingmaker

Unread 30th of May, 2010, 09:13
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Kingmaker OOC

Okay, Darius asked me to do character sheets the same way we are doing it for treehouse's and LP's Rise of the Runelords campaign.

I have setup the blogspace at http://www.kingmaker-pbp-at-orp.blogspot.com.

All I need from people is completed character sheets, you can email them to me. I think you all have my email address. If not, pm me.
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 11:21
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Thank you Merc, for hosting the sheets, for creating the OOC thread, and most importantly, making sure BRR received the proper sacrifice. I suppose mine was a bit too tongue in cheek to be taken seriously. Either that, or BRR doesn't like blondes.

I'll be putting up some information this weekend and will be addressing questions that were posited via pm. Feel free to repost questions here so I'll be sure to address them all.
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 11:24
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Has z settled on a character concept yet? I'd like to put in that we're a little low on ranged right now.

Mattin is just about done. I'll send a sheet to Darius tonight for approval, then forward it on to Merc for posting (and thanks again for giving the pdf treatment to this game - they are so much easier on the eyes...)

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 13:27
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Yeah, probably going with Inquisitor, focusing on the crossbow.
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 14:45
treehouse

Cool - I'm not familiar with the Inquisitor, but I saw it in the SRD.

Hey LP, did you think any more on the idea of having our characters be in a relationship? I am still working on background notes for Mattin, but I have a general concept if you need it for your own purposes. He's a bastard scion of one of the Issian noble houses (Darius suggested Surtova, but they might be too noble for him). He has all of the stereotypical baggage that comes with the territory - he's exiled from the estates of his father (the as-of-yet unnamed Issian lord in question) and shunned by almost all folks of high station, even in Rostland. His big motivation for taking on the swordlords' mission boils down to proving that he doesn't need to be an acknowledged member of the gentry to be an effective ruler. Arguably, it's a petty ego trip at this point, but he's intended to be an evolving character.

He's definitely not a standard bard - for instance, he doesn't have a great singing voice and plays no musical instruments. He's more of a scholar-warrior, inspiring people with rousing speeches, epic battle poems and other such things. He's 'booky' like a wizard, keeping a small library near him at all times on a pack mule, taking copious notes of his surroundings and the events he witnesses, and constantly picking up new languages.

I don't know much about your character yet, but I had Mattin pick Gozreh as one of the two deities he prays to. It's a lazy but easy initial link.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 18:50
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Oh, I'm so going to watch this. And as long as there's no visitor's thread, I dispense of my comments here!
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 19:08
Darius

I find visitor threads to be a bit extraneous really. Feel free to post here. If it gets out of hand, I might revisit my policy.
Unread 30th of May, 2010, 19:11
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
I don't know much about your character yet, but I had Mattin pick Gozreh as one of the two deities he prays to. It's a lazy but easy initial link.
I don't want to say too much since I haven't conferred with Darius yet, but I'm also planning to make Kayel (working name) an Issian noble, so we have a great link already.

I think our characters should start off with some bad blood between each other. More fun to roleplay.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 00:22
treehouse

Originally Posted by LeadPal # I don't want to say too much since I haven't conferred with Darius yet, but I'm also planning to make Kayel (working name) an Issian noble, so we have a great link already.

I think our characters should start off with some bad blood between each other. More fun to roleplay.
Bad blood could be fun to role-play, but it's very easy for that to go from interesting to distracting. We will need to collaborate closely on those interactions and make sure they're always going somewhere. I feel up to the task, though.

Maybe I'll nix Gozreh worship for the moment and stick with Gorum. I wish they hadn't made the patron saint of wanderers Chaotic Good in this setting.

Hey Darius - is it going to be a problem for the rulers of our group to both be disgruntled Issians? It seems like the swordlords wouldn't trust us...

Unread 31st of May, 2010, 00:27
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
Most of my character sheet is done already, but I'm still kinda up in the air about which feat to take. I'm not sure if I should take Eschew Materials or Spell Focus (Transmuation).
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 00:39
treehouse

I would recommend against Eschew Materials, personally. Spell component pouches are cheap.

At the low levels, feats like Combat Casting or Toughness are pretty nice for wizards. Later on they lose their luster somewhat (although with Concentration checks now being so much more difficult, that may not be the case with Combat Casting), but the point of them is to get you to the later levels intact.

Barring those, start loading up on your Spell Focuses now to get them out of the way.

It's probably wise to pick a second school to invest in - transmuters are fun, but they don't really come into their own until the mid-levels. Evocation is an easy choice for some direct damage, but conjuration is probably the best combat-oriented school for wizards in PRPG. They really boosted the summon monster spells.

Unread 31st of May, 2010, 00:53
treehouse

Regarding Knowledge skills...

We probably want to try to have as little overlap as possible before they are all covered. Mattin grabbed geography, history, local, nature and nobility. z, do you want to grab some of the monster-identifying ones (arcane, dungeoneering, planes, etc?) That seems to be a trademark of the Inquisitor anyway. It wouldn't hurt to have some overlap on nature.

Unread 31st of May, 2010, 01:09
Darius

I second the recommendation on Spell Focus. I hope someone is loading up on Survival as well. Nothing says TPK like getting lost in the wilderness and starving to death.
Knowledge: geography only goes so far.

There is no problem with a couple of disgruntled Issians, especially ones that were willing to take a charter from the swordlords to begin with.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 01:12
treehouse

It looks like the inquisitor gets that 'add half class level to survival checks' thing that rangers get, so I'm assuming z is taking ranks in it. It looks like Vanick is purchasing Survival ranks as well.

Cool - I will proceed with my Issian origins.

Unread 31st of May, 2010, 01:14
Explosive Cheese

I have arcana, planes, and engineering (and a trait bonus for arcana and engineering), and I was planning on taking geography and nature as well, but I could use the skill points elsewhere if tree wants them.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 01:17
treehouse

Some Knowledge overlap seems to be destined - wizards, inquisitors and bards are all Knowledge classes, and I'm guessing LP's cleric will have religion at least. I just want to make sure that we have all of the skills covered at least once, since there is no reason not to.

It's good that you're taking architecture and engineering. Inquisitors don't get it and I didn't have room for it. Arcana is kind of a given for wizards as well. I wouldn't worry about swapping the others if they are meaningful for your character.

Unread 31st of May, 2010, 01:19
Explosive Cheese

I think they make sense (he's a farmer from a small village), so I'll probably be keeping them. If we're missing any knowledge skills, I'll swap.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 02:14
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Some Knowledge overlap seems to be destined - wizards, inquisitors and bards are all Knowledge classes, and I'm guessing LP's cleric will have religion at least.
FYI, my cleric does not have religion. Might have nature or nobility though.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 02:27
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Hmm. I'll just stick what I have in skills.

Diplomacy
Intimidate
Knowledge (religion)
Knowledge (local)
Perception
Sense Motive
Survival

Religion is for being an acolyte. Local is for a PrC. The three social skills are for being an arbiter/judge sort. Inquisitors get a nice class bonus to Intimidate and Sense Motive. Perception and Survival just seemed like good ideas.
I'm planning to sprinkle ranks in other skills here and there.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 02:42
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
You guys are doing some heavily organised character building. This is not how it works. You make them independently and then have to deal with a party featuring no healing but four different +11 arcana bonuses.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 02:58
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ha, that would be the smart thing to do.

I posted a rough draft of my character. Although the sheet thing looks nifty, still think we should have things more out in the open until we actually finalize things.
What's the process like for getting those sheets up anyway, Merc? Is there some way to edit them, or do you have to edit a pdf file and upload it again every time?
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 03:06
Explosive Cheese

I've been doing the same thing Merc is for my game, and I have to edit the pdf and upload every time. The only way to automate it would be to try and hack together a script that does the uploading for you.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 03:31
Darius

z- on the Lynn prelim build: given the focus on crossbows, are you planning on taking Rapid Reload earlier rather than later? Also, you do have to take one trait from the Kingmaker Player's Guide still, so you can take only one of your custom traits.

Last edited by Darius; 31st of May, 2010 at 04:10.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 04:19
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I would take Issian. The second trait doesn't really matter. Actually, re-reading the skills, I don't even need to take something that grants K (local) as a class skill, I can still get 5 ranks by level 5, just not the +3 bonus.
I'm planning on taking Rapid Reload at 1st level.
Probably:
1st - Rapid Reload
H. Bonus - Persuasive
2nd - Weapon Focus (crossbow)
4th - Dodge? Something?

Also, is the Justicar PrC actually alright?
If not, I could just switch to bows and avoid having to take the feat. Rapid Reload (light crossbow) seems to get the exact same results as Weapon Proficiency (longbow), and I already have bow proficiency.
I'm not sure what benefits crossbows have. Plus you can't apply Str. Hrmmm.
Unread 31st of May, 2010, 04:35
Darius

Crossbows are cheaper, and have a longer range than your run of the mill bow (including the composites).