Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Shakespeare's Games > Through the Wicked Thorns

Unread 1st of August, 2010, 01:45
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
[OOC] Player Discussion

Players are free to discuss topics and ask questions related to the game herein. If, for any reason, a player finds himself unable to post for a period of time, please let me know through the use of this thread, so that I can plan around your absence.

After being accepted for the game, I would ask that players post their Character Sheets in the Player Area of the game forum. I will make each thread private once it's been posted, so that only myself and the player in question can view the information.

When posting your Sheets, please do so in the following format:

Pseudonyms:
Seeming (Kith):
Court:
Entitlements:
Physical Description: The Mask --; Fae Mien --
Personality:

Mental Attributes: Intelligence, Wits, Resolve
Physical Attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina
Social Attributes: Presence, Manipulation, Composure

Mental Skills:
Physical Skills:
Social Skills:

Merits:

Willpower:
Clarity: 7
Derangements: Name (mild/severe; Clarity level)
Virtue:
Vice:

Initiative:
Defense:
Speed:
Health:

Wyrd:
Glamour/per Turn: 10/1
Contracts: Name
Pledges:

Possessions:

Background:
When you gain experience, I'll notify you through your individual threads, and you can tell me where you're allocating them and why. Any private storylines or notes that the character gets will also be handled through these threads.

Any questions, please post them here and I'll get back to you. Game on.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 1st of August, 2010 at 02:00.
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 04:13
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
Okay, my character sheet is up for inspection.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 02:45
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Going to look over the two sheets as soon as possible; in the meantime, I'm working with our third player on getting his stats done.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 06:51
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Looks like this'll be a Spring Court game.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 20:41
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

I'm currently giving your stats one final look over guys. But in the meantime I want to ask whether you plan on throwing your Hollow dots together, or are keeping them separate? The former might make sense for Sylas and Sandra, given that they were both tutored and rescued by Jillian, but less so for Anna, unless you can all come up with a reason as to why they'd induct her into the group.

Also, Sandra and Sylas: are you beginning as a Motley? If so, do you wish to work on a Pledge prior to the game's start?
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 21:07
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

What are the basics of Anna's background?

I'm fine with Sandra being in a motley with Sylas and wouldn't mind combining Hollow dots.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 21:15
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

The Freehold Pledge
"I swear, by this token of my liege, that I shall be faithful to her and cause her no harm; and to follow the laws of the Freehold. I will give of my skills to the best of my ability for the good of the Freehold. In return for this loyalty and care for my Queen, may the Wyrd hide my steps and aid my steps, and may the name I wear be strong; may I never go hungry, and may I remain hidden. But if I break my oath to her, then leave me weak before the Queen's Justice."

Type: Corporal, Nemesis Pledge (Vision of Strife, The Dragon Knows)
Tasks: Fealty (-3)
Boons: Vassalage (+3), Medial Blessing: New Identity 2 (+2), Adroitness: Stealth (+1), Adroitness: Survival (+1), Minor Blessing: Resources (+1)
Sanction: Banishment (-3), Vulnerability: Violence (-2), Vulnerability: Glamour (-2)
Duration: Season, Medial (+2)

Invocation: 1 Willpower + 1 Willpower dot (Liege)
Freehold Blessing: Subtlety

The Ways and the Laws of the Freehold - Winter 2009-2010
I. Let Each Court Know Their Season:
"Spring is For Society, Summer is for War, Autumn is for Magic, Winter is for Hiding and the Courtless are for Watching - Honour the Seasons, for they protect us from the Gentry."

II. As Each Court Knows Their Season, So Does Each Crown Know Their Court
"The Rulers of the Courts are the Ministers of the Winter Queen - in their courts, they are invested with her power, by her grace."

III. Keep The People Lost to Every Outsider:
"Only by anonymity is our safety preserved. If discovered, handle it. If you can't handle it, ask for help. Punishment for breaking this tenet will be far lighter if the subject admits to their faults."

IV. Do not Kill or Imprison Each Other:
"The right of violence is reserved for the Winter Queen, and she doles it out to her appointed representatives. While friendly sparring or rivaling duels are allowed, while no oathbreak will be caused by bar-brawling, killing another Lost of the Freehold is an offense. Unsworn are, of course, not protected by this decree. Similarly, imprisoning another is a sin against sanity and behaviour fit for Them."

V. The Queen of Winter is the Lawgiver and the Arbiter of the Freehold Law
"She or a duly appointed representative will decide on punishment to fit every crime committed against the Bastion."

------------------------------------------------------------

Any Lost wishing to become a member of the Freehold must swear the above -- if your character has sworn the Pledge, then add it to your sheet. Since the mechanical benefits of the Pledge aren't permanent do not add them, but rather just apply them as and when needed.

Any questions, let me know.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 3rd of August, 2010 at 06:01.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 21:17
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Originally Posted by AoM # What are the basics of Anna's background?
Originally Posted by AoM # I'm fine with Sandra being in a motley with Sylas and wouldn't mind combining Hollow dots.
She's a Polish immigrant. I'll let Gardulec decide how much more than that he wishes to tell you, based upon how much he thinks you'd both know about his character. You'd probably have heard of her -- she's of the same Court, and is very dedicated to the ideals of your Season.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 21:46
Gargulec
Skeleton

Member: #8175
Location: These mist covered mountains are the home for me now
I would rather keep Anna's hollow separate.

As for her background: She makes little secret of it. She spent a lot of mortal world time in her Durance (over twenty years), while only a few seasons passed for her in Arcadia, somehow escaped to Manchester, despite that city being totally alien to her, and survived her first few years back only thanks to the hospitality of the local Freehold. She is also known for being rather reclusive as for an Antler Court member. Asked about her life, she would elaborate, but there is no interesting tale to be told about her backstory.

"And now, whats going to happen to us without barbarians?
They were, those people, a kind of solution."

Constantine P. Cavafy
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 22:15
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I have a question: as worded, what defense is there within the Pledge against a betrayal to the ideals of seasonal abdication of the crown? I'm assuming none of the other courts would swear to a pledge that could ensnare them if the Winter Queen declared eternal winter in the same manner that Grandfather Thunder declared Eternal Summer in Miami (sample city setting in the core book).

Is it understood within the bonds that power the magic of the Freehold Pledge that the Winter Queen is no longer one's liege upon the dawn of Spring, thus ending any forced loyalty?
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 22:26
Gargulec
Skeleton

I have two questions as well:
How populous is the Manchester Freehold? Which Court has the strongest representation within?

Which Entitlements are present in Manchester?

Constantine P. Cavafy
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 22:48
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Yes, AoM; when the Winter Season ends, the power and authority shifts over to the new Seasonal leader. Not once in recently recorded history has this ever failed to happen, and it's doubted that now would be any different, especially given the recent pressures on the Freehold, what with the vanishing Lost and drooping number of escaping changelings from Arcadia.

The Manchester Freehold, or The Bastion, isn't as well-populated as it once was; over the course of three years the number of Lost within the city walls has began to falter, slowly at first, and then more quickly in the current year. Around the time of the game's beginning, there is only between 60-80 changelings left in the city, and that's a rough estimate.

Entitlements are also rare, mainly due to the above fact. There are a few changelings known in the city who belong to Entitlements though; two worthy of mention are involved in The Hedge Wardens, whereas another Lost is known to be part of the Lord Sages of the Unknown Reaches. There might well be more, but such Lost are either underground, or have receeded from the public light. Or maybe you just have yet to meet them.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 3rd of August, 2010 at 19:55.
Unread 3rd of August, 2010, 11:15
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Cat: I think I like what you suggested in your PM. If you're down with it, we could hammer out the details here, since my PM mailbox is getting full.
Unread 3rd of August, 2010, 13:20
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
Heh, works for me.

So AoM and I are going to combine our Hollow points to represent a Hollow Jillian used to control which was passed to us. Given our virtues, and our histories, we've decided that it's sort a "home for wayward fae" type place - people who have lost their way, or need to get their head together, or are in some sort of trouble, or have just come across and need a community. It's size 3, which should be plenty big.
Unread 3rd of August, 2010, 19:57
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Okay! Make a note in your threads that your Hollow is shared. In the meantime, I assume you've all agreed to the Freehold Pledge? Also, what have you decided about the Motley? Is there a Pledge involved?

And Cat, I still need a Description from you.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 06:44
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Shakespeare # Okay! Make a note in your threads that your Hollow is shared. In the meantime, I assume you've all agreed to the Freehold Pledge? Also, what have you decided about the Motley? Is there a Pledge involved?

And Cat, I still need a Description from you.
I agree to the Freehold, and unless AoM has a reason not to, at the very least Sarah and I have a Motley, and a Pledge.

And yeah, you'll get it. I've been trying to find some more images, cause I was kinda at a loss. My daughter found some good raver pages that gave me some nice ideas.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 09:30
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

*it's Sandra not Sarah.

A suggestion for our Motley's Pledge:

Type: Vow

Tasks: Alliance -2 (Amongst all members of the motley), Endeavor -1 (Protect the Hollow and perform its function as a house for the wayward)
Boons: Blessing +2 (Tied to merits appropriate to running and protecting the Hollow)
Sanctions: Curse -1
Duration: Season +2

We can write the flavor text later, after we agree to the mechanics of the pledge.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 10:17
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by AoM # *it's Sandra not Sarah.
Are you *sure*?

You're probably sure.

I was going off memory, whilst on my phone. Still, close, right?

Originally Posted by AoM # A suggestion for our Motley's Pledge:

Type: Vow

Tasks: Alliance -2 (Amongst all members of the motley), Endeavor -1 (Protect the Hollow and perform its function as a house for the wayward)
Boons: Blessing +2 (Tied to merits appropriate to running and protecting the Hollow)
Sanctions: Curse -1
Duration: Season +2

We can write the flavor text later, after we agree to the mechanics of the pledge.
That seems fine to me. I'm not very familiar with Pledges, but it seems to work.

We need to pick the two points of blessing, right?
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 11:43
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Yes we do need to choose a blessing. Does it have to be the same blessing for the two of us? I was going to use it to increase Sandra's Harvest:Goblin Fruits merit, so that she has more materials to feed any wayward changlings with glamour and healing.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 20:42
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Once you've got the specifics of the Pledge sorted, let me know; I'll finish up on your sheets after, and get everything ready to move.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 20:50
Gargulec
Skeleton

Oh, sorry for late reply:
I of course agree on the Freehold Pledge. As for the motley, however, I can't think of reason for Anna to join one, unless we agree that she knew both Sandra and Sylar before- then it would make sense.

Constantine P. Cavafy
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 22:03
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Add the Freehold Pledge to the "Pledges:" entry on your character then. And they probably would know you -- as aloof as you are, you're still a firm upholder of the Court's ideals (hence your high Mantle), and so they'd have heard of you, if not met you, especially with so few Lost left.
Unread 4th of August, 2010, 23:41
Gargulec
Skeleton

Pledge added.

Yes, you're right. Then, I would gladly join the motley, if both AoM and Ergonomic agree: we could simply decide that Anna had some ties to them before and joined the motley not long ago, seeking support due to fear caused by the changelings disappearing.

Constantine P. Cavafy
Unread 5th of August, 2010, 06:55
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Gargulec # Pledge added.

Yes, you're right. Then, I would gladly join the motley, if both AoM and Ergonomic agree: we could simply decide that Anna had some ties to them before and joined the motley not long ago, seeking support due to fear caused by the changelings disappearing.
Certainly fine with me. Sylas and Sandra are all about providing shelter, so I think the Motley would really accept almost anyone they trusted. If you're a VIF, then I think you'd be welcome.
Unread 5th of August, 2010, 08:14
Gargulec
Skeleton

VIF? Sorry for being dumb, but what it stands for? Also, for the Motley pledge, I would advise adding Dreaming task to the mix, so my character oneiromantic skills won't go to waste.

Constantine P. Cavafy