Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 8th of February, 2011, 16:11
Psychoclown
Skeleton

Member: #9101
Any GMs interested in starting a Vampire: the Requiem game?

Brand new to these forums, but I've been hit by an itch to play some V:tR online and figured I'd give this place a shot.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 11:30
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Member: #9086
I'm of the same mind: I could really go for a Requiem game right now. If anyone does start one up, I'd eagerily apply, most likely with a Nosferatu informant.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 14:34
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
There was talk of one starting up a while ago, but the GM disappeared.

What themes were either of you wanting to see? And how combat heavy/intrigue-filled/personal story geared did you want it?

I have the books to run one, but only if it's a small group, and if people are focused on the same expectations.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 15:49
Psychoclown
Skeleton

I'm not looking for a real combat heavy game. I generally prefer intrigue and politics with a good dose of personal story and/or ambitions. That said, I don't mind some combat here and there. A little variety is the spice of life afterall.

My character concept would be a Mekhet soothsayer (member of the Circle of the Crone) who has recently awakened from torpor. I've had this character in mind for a while, but haven't found a good forum to use it.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 20:54
Copper
Shadow [GM]

As above, though my concept would be, as stated, a Nosferatu informant who dabbles in favour brokering, and holds loyalty to clan and brood as essential. Essentially a Masquerade Sewer Rat in the new setting.
Unread 13th of February, 2011, 18:28
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
I like a lot of the rules cleanup ( though not simplification ) of this edition. I like a lot of the older stuff much more though. Hmm. How vampire-centric is the goal here? Any chance of playing an non-vamp?

The Geomancer Ventrue lineage I do like though?

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 13th of February, 2011, 20:39
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I don't have any real interest in running a crossover campaign - I don't even know the werewolf and mage backgrounds in nWoD... and I only know the Changling backstory because I was involved in a failed campaign here months ago - so if I did run this, players would be mortals or vampires, and it would concentrate on Vampires and their issues.

Do you think you can play Vort?
Unread 13th of February, 2011, 21:48
Copper
Shadow [GM]

I'd recommend that any mortals be ghouls, AoM, so that it doesn't require you to split the story quite so much. It's worth keeping in mind though that Ghoul characters will also be severely underpowered compared to the vampires, and due to their second-class status wouldn't be included in politics or business dealings with either masters (at least, not in an accurate setting).
Unread 13th of February, 2011, 22:14
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I agree, Copper, and would prefer all PCs be Kindred, but I would accept a mortal character under the right circumstances - those being ones that told a better story that could easily be acted upon by the other PCs.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 14:56
Psychoclown
Skeleton

Let me be the third to say a crossover would be a bad idea. Sometimes they can work, but in a vampire game that is going to focus on vampire politics and vampire ambitions, it would be hard for a crossover character to be fully involved in the story. A mortal or ghoul could work, but there are drawbacks.

A ghoul is likely going to be very much a secondary role, more of a henchman or errand boy most likely. Ghouls are usually treated like useful and expendable tools, not as full allies or accomplices. Not sure most people would really enjoy RPing such a secondary role in a story.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 22:26
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Right no crossover. Copper and Psychoclown, PM a character sheet and a more fleshed out concept/background. Include personal goals for your characters. What and who specifically motivates them?

Anyone else interested in playing, post interest here and send me a PM with the same basic stuff. If you need help with concept and rules, post here.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 23:04
Copper
Shadow [GM]

I'll get mine to you as soon as possible. Is it standard character creation? Are there limits on what books we can use? I've got my eye particularly on the Necropolis (Beast That Haunts the Blood) and Bugman Network Membership (Immortal Sinners) merits, but want to know your stance on them before I center my background around them.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 01:25
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Alright, I'm interested. What time-frame and geography will the game be set in?

I tend to prefer Ventrue of a political bent myself.

Unread 15th of February, 2011, 04:48
Psychoclown
Skeleton

I have the same questions as Copper? Is it standard character creation or something different? I'd personally prefer a little more high powered game, as it would fit with my concept of a older vampire who just awoke from torpor, but I can make anything work I suppose.

As for books, in addition to the two core books, I'd also be drawing the Mekhet clan book and the Circle of the Crone book.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 14:32
Copper
Shadow [GM]

I'd personally prefer a younger game, with no more than about 35 experience points, but that's purely because I like the challenge, and the roleplaying of a neonate/fledgling. But hell, I can still play a young vampire with more starting experience... and just say that the Nosferatu is very, very good at her job.

But yes, those are my views. I'll support AoM's decision either way.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 15:00
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Despite my aim to get a copy of my sheet to you this morning, AoM, I'm going to have to leave it until tomorrow at the earliest: I've only just gotten in from work, and have been called back in for three hours time.

Will try to get you everything as soon as possible.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 15:06
Psychoclown
Skeleton

I'll probably have my sheet ready tomorrow sometime as well. And I'd just like to voice that I'd prefer an older game (50 to 85 starting xp), but like Copper, I'll support whatever AoM decides. I can always RP it as if my Kindred has lost some specific knowledge and abilities to the fog of torpor.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 16:47
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Okay, I've sent AoM a basic sheet. Any idea where this'll be set? I'd recommend either Los Angeles, or Chicago.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 23:36
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Okay, sorry, not a lot of time yesterday to get to all your questions - first of all, I am in favor of a younger game. That being said, I have two people wanting to play mortals of various sorts. That means that there's going to be character imbalance anyway. Anyone playing mortals at the beginning, whether ghoul or not, might find themselves being embraced mid-to-early campaign. Bear that in mind and if you'd like to design a little foreshadowing of that upcoming event in your background, please feel inclined to do so.

If you're strongly opposed to becoming a vampire at some point... may I suggest not playing a "Vampire" game. Or just play as a vampire concept at the start.

Okay as for setting... Copper why Los Angeles or Chicago? Is that because there's a background in-built for those settings?

Personally I'm more acquainted with New York as far as American cities go. Of course, this doesn't necessarily have to be set in the USA either. I am open to a group decision on this, as I am going to be building the story around your characters and their goals, as well as a few of my own major NPCs, and a few strands of loose plot I'll figure out on my own... I will base it less on the setting, unless I can be directed towards some inspiring landmarks and local organizations.

To settle the starting experience... 35 points.

Psychoclown, if you give me an interesting character background and give me some juicy hooks from your past that will threaten to tear you apart, I'll let you start out a little more powerful... just expect that you'll be bringing more heat to yourself and anyone else who journies with you in-game. And yes, any loss of ability compared to age could be explained away with torpor fog.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 23:55
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Originally Posted by Copper # I'll get mine to you as soon as possible. Is it standard character creation? Are there limits on what books we can use? I've got my eye particularly on the Necropolis (Beast That Haunts the Blood) and Bugman Network Membership (Immortal Sinners) merits, but want to know your stance on them before I center my background around them.
Ah, I'm not familiar with those.

I only have the main book, and the 5 covenant books, and the 5 clan books. Go ahead and run the basic gist by me in a PM, and we'll see how it might work.

If something is going to require me to get a book to wrap my head around it, it's probably not going to get much enthusiasm from me.
Unread 16th of February, 2011, 11:41
Copper
Shadow [GM]

I suggested Los Angeles mainly because of how it was represented in Vampire: Bloodlines, and Chicago because there's a whole book dedicated to it's depiction from which you could pull material. However, New York would could work just as well, if not better, because White Wolf has yet to touch on it.

If you're set on the 35 experience point total, then I'll go ahead and update my sheet. I can provide information on the Bugman merit, and the man himself, if I decide to purchase the merit with the starting experience allowance. Until then, I'll focus my efforts on her background (which'll be easier to complete once we've got a fixed setting, and a general idea of the game's starting political landscape).
Unread 16th of February, 2011, 12:27
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Vampire Bloodlines was set in OWoD. (Not that it wasn't awesome.)

Okay, if White Wolf hasn't touched NYC, then I think we'll set thing in the big apple.

Political landscape is heavily in favor of the Invictus. Heavily. However, clan prejudices are especially strong between the Ventrue and Gangrel. The Prince of the city will be a Ventrue, but the populist Gangrel Primogen is a rising star in the political arena. Both are Invictus and thus loyalty within that covenant is split.

The Lancea Sanctum is barely tolerant of a small but tightly knit Circle of the Crone. Only the edict of the Prince keeping them from open bloodshed. The Order of Dracul is a popular choice for anyone wishing to keep their head out of Invictus politics, but the Order in New York is extremely isolationist and elitist... you really have to impress them to gain admission to their gatherings, let alone their covenant. For that reason, they are a small but potent group in the city.

The Carthians keep their noses down in New York, but the rumor mill suggests that if the Gangrel Primogen went Carthian, he'd gain their support and perhaps take a large contingent of Invictus with him into that covenant.
Unread 16th of February, 2011, 12:50
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Thanks for the update AoM. Think I'm definately going to go Carthian now.
Unread 16th of February, 2011, 16:15
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Fair enough. Your Carthian will be tolerated in the Necropolis because of her clan loyalty, but the Invictus way of doing things is the accepted style of unlife in the city. She'll be considered an activist and advised to keep her Carthian sympathies close to her chest when out in vampire public.
Unread 16th of February, 2011, 18:37
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Invictus Ventrue, I'll think more on the finer details. Underworld power-broker type most likely. In shadowrun terms a 'fixer'. Possibly an underling of the Prince who oversees a given area of influence in the city? ( Organized Crime? )

I suggest we outline some segments of backstory and have everyone 'write themselves in' in a non-negative/negotiable way into each others story in some way so we are all pre-positioned to operate as a group?